Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I just need the Oh Hello boys with Lizzy Caplan and I'll be set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Eltoasto posted:

THAT EPI WAS SO GOOD.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Poopy Palpy posted:

I wonder how many Howl subscriptions Earwolf is going to have to sell to make up for the increased bandwidth of panicky hoarders downloading gigabytes of back episodes they're never going to listen to.

Jokes on them, I've been hoarding since day one!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Parallax posted:

Scott's reasoning for taking down old stuff sounds like bs though. I wonder if its more they don't make money on those old ads

They won't make any money off old ads, and it will cost them to serve up 100mb files at a time. It's unsustainable to have your entire body of work up for free if you're paying for the hosting side.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Can't they just let SoundCloud host them?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

They won't make any money off old ads, and it will cost them to serve up 100mb files at a time. It's unsustainable to have your entire body of work up for free if you're paying for the hosting side.

As a developer, I'm always interested in the mechanics of this. I know an akamai's of the world would cost a pretty penny. S3 seems a pretty good fit. IDK how itunes works, is it just a registry and points to wherever the mp3s are hosted, or does apple host anything themselves? Any earwolf insiders have an idea? (i guess i could just snoop the traffic the howl app creates, see how they do it"

VagueRant posted:

Can't they just let SoundCloud host them?
Lol I'm also a DJ, and soundcloud really has pissed off a bunch of people recently. Their mention of the 15 second limits on songs kinda touches on that. I'm sure they don't want their fate in soundcloud's hands.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 18, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

As a developer, I'm always interested in the mechanics of this. I know an akamai's of the world would cost a pretty penny. S3 seems a pretty good fit. IDK how itunes works, is it just a registry and points to wherever the mp3s are hosted, or does apple host anything themselves? Any earwolf insiders have an idea? (i guess i could just snoop the traffic the howl app creates, see how they do it"

It's not a technical problem really, there are a million ways they could serve the content (in this case it looks like they are using soundcloud to serve the audio mp3s and NetDNA/MaxCDN for other content like the episode image preview). It costs money to host content, it's rarely free, especially with the amount of traffic earwolf probably pushes. I think it's purely a way for them to monetize their old content, as it stands they earn basically nothing for old episodes. They tried to splice in new commercials into the old content, I'm sure that didn't pan out how they thought, so now they're trying to charge for archive access. I think they've got a good idea with the exclusive produced content, more Mike detective and mini-series are justifiable that way.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ElCondemn posted:

It's not a technical problem really, there are a million ways they could serve the content (in this case it looks like they are using soundcloud to serve the audio mp3s and NetDNA/MaxCDN for other content like the episode image preview). It costs money to host content, it's rarely free, especially with the amount of traffic earwolf probably pushes. I think it's purely a way for them to monetize their old content, as it stands they earn basically nothing for old episodes. They tried to splice in new commercials into the old content, I'm sure that didn't pan out how they thought, so now they're trying to charge for archive access. I think they've got a good idea with the exclusive produced content, more Mike detective and mini-series are justifiable that way.

Pretty much. I know it's a big change for a big network, but it's not unheard of and it makes sense. Superego does it. The Ricky Gervais Show did it way back in the day. You never have to pay a dime for new episodes, and if you've got the old ones downloaded you're set there too.

I'm doing it mostly for the exclusive and premium content, and if they never put out an Android app, or don't improve their lovely web player I'll bail after a couple months, but if they can make some money off of their old content then more power to them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So in trying to figure out this Howl business out, is there a definite answer as to whether or not I can download the backlog/archived episodes and listen to them offline? My workplace is in a spot where my phone rarely gets reception and I don't have access to wireless so streaming is entirely out of the question.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Eltoasto posted:

I literally cannot say "Newsroom" or "Aaron Sorkin" correctly because of that episode.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
They can put the eps behind a pay wall because ear wolf podcasts are work for hire and midroll media, llc owns them.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

They can put the eps behind a pay wall because ear wolf podcasts are work for hire and midroll media, llc owns them.

Thanks for the legal info, champ.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Srice posted:

So in trying to figure out this Howl business out, is there a definite answer as to whether or not I can download the backlog/archived episodes and listen to them offline? My workplace is in a spot where my phone rarely gets reception and I don't have access to wireless so streaming is entirely out of the question.

It seems like they didn't put a lot of thought into this roll out. I don't use an iPhone and I don't want to have to stream episodes. Even with the extra content available app-only, I'm not excited to pay for a bad user experience that restricts how I can consume their product. I'm sure they will end up opening up the user experience eventually, but why didn't they think about these things before launching? These issues shouldn't have caught them off guard.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you've ever been part of an app launch you'll know how much time, effort, care, and thought can go into a product before the planned release date hits and someone goes "okay you have a minimum viable product time to release it" way before all the important features are implemented.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

feedmyleg posted:

If you've ever been part of an app launch you'll know how much time, effort, care, and thought can go into a product before the planned release date hits and someone goes "okay you have a minimum viable product time to release it" way before all the important features are implemented.

Offline playback of episodes you are paying for is part of an MVP. This is how Podcasts work.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The This American Life app I bought maybe 5 years ago to have access to their back catalog still doesn't really work, so I wouldn't expect a lot of improvement any time soon.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Eltoasto posted:

Where's my scoop?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno if anyone else had the same experience, but the Earwolf app was a buggy piece of poo poo when I tried using it, which makes me pretty nervous that the Howl app doesn't seem to have learned a ton from the previous app failures.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Power of Pecota posted:

Where's my scoop?

I didn't say ice cream! SCENE.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

I dunno if anyone else had the same experience, but the Earwolf app was a buggy piece of poo poo when I tried using it, which makes me pretty nervous that the Howl app doesn't seem to have learned a ton from the previous app failures.

It crashed 4 times for me just trying to sign up.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

JethroMcB posted:

I didn't say ice cream! SCENE.

Are we supposed to be in character?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GobiasIndustries posted:

They need to find the SquareSpace of app makers

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Punch Card posted:

Are we supposed to be in character?

You're the ditz Dunst!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I lost all my money betting on Battle of the Network Stars.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Eltoasto posted:

I lost all my money betting on Battle of the Network Stars.

I was betting with this guy, he was the editor...you're sayin' I lost ten large...to a fink?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Come with me, Emily Mertimer.

This is self written.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Mark David Chapman, last time we saw him was outside of the Dakoter; I yelled at him, 'YOU DON'T HAVE THE BALLS!'"
"And that night..."
"That night we heard...I did good."

(Not the Lizzy Caplan ep, but one of my favorite Gil and George moments)

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
"Menthol cigarette on hot morning in car." The "For sale: baby shoes, never worn" of the modern age.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
You also get access to at least some of aspecialthing's catalog of stand-up albums, which is cool.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It's funny relistening to old episodes and you see how often Scott paints on to a character that they're crying.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Do we bring coffee breath or is that provided there?

All I need is that episode and the gooby episode of HDTGM but really just the parts of June saying gooby.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Trujillo posted:

Do we bring coffee breath or is that provided there?

All I need is that episode and the gooby episode of HDTGM but really just the parts of June saying gooby.

I could have sworn some one did an edit of all her goobys. I'm not sure which ep it's in. Maybe a mini.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

I could have sworn some one did an edit of all her goobys. I'm not sure which ep it's in. Maybe a mini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Qu_hGPtFM

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What're the best Howl exclusives? I probably won't renew after this weeks, and am enjoying the Superego exclusives.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Golden Bee posted:

What're the best Howl exclusives? I probably won't renew after this weeks, and am enjoying the Superego exclusives.

There is a live CBB from a couple weeks ago that's a Howl exclusive. It's an entertaining episode with Gino among others.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Anyone watch Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham's show Playing House? There was a joke last week where Keegan-Michael Key used a Grimace figurine as a stand in for Jessica St. Clair's character in a model version of their town that killed me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

drainpipe posted:

Anyone watch Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham's show Playing House? There was a joke last week where Keegan-Michael Key used a Grimace figurine as a stand in for Jessica St. Clair's character in a model version of their town that killed me.

They also ate a bunch of DiGiorno's

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 23, 2015

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
The last episode of Review guest-starred Lennon Parham doing kind of a half-Listler. It's also one of the greatest things I've seen all summer.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

el_caballo posted:

The last episode of Review guest-starred Lennon Parham doing kind of a half-Listler. It's also one of the greatest things I've seen all summer.

I'm pretty disappointed she won't be meeting Forrest's ex-wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

el_caballo posted:

God, that was a good character.

The ads for Womp it Up mentioned that there were a lot of easter eggs so I'm glad that panned out. I haven't watched this season yet.