Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm kinda hoping the people see Ains as evil but they still prefer being under him to the way things used to be.

"Well I'm not so sure about that castle of his and I wish I didn't have to send him my first born but on the other hand my children will never experience a bandit or monster raid."

Yeah, I think that's always an interesting scenario when I see it in games and more rarely in other fiction. Like, is it just to take down a guy who is trying to kill all magic users just because one once tried to kill him, knowing that he's less crazy than the guy he replaced and the guy who would replace him is probably going to run the kingdom into the ground? Or to take out a flat out evil ruler who enslaved a bunch of warring tribes, but in doing so brought them some semblance of order and is keeping them from killing each other or spreading out to their neighbors on wild killing sprees?

Does anyone happen to know any stories that deal with that kind of conflict, particularly in book form? I'm going to be on vacation for awhile and could use some reading material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I think that's always an interesting scenario when I see it in games and more rarely in other fiction. Like, is it just to take down a guy who is trying to kill all magic users just because one once tried to kill him, knowing that he's less crazy than the guy he replaced and the guy who would replace him is probably going to run the kingdom into the ground? Or to take out a flat out evil ruler who enslaved a bunch of warring tribes, but in doing so brought them some semblance of order and is keeping them from killing each other or spreading out to their neighbors on wild killing sprees?

Does anyone happen to know any stories that deal with that kind of conflict, particularly in book form? I'm going to be on vacation for awhile and could use some reading material.

It is a pretty common premise in crappy webnovels, but they are generally rapey as hell.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ains is a lonely, timid man who suddenly gained great power. For all that he is now essentially a god, the most important thing to him is still the good old days with his mmo guild. So, with that in mind, he only has three goals in life. Protect what his friends left behind, make himself famous so that if any of his friends are around they will come back, and avoid disappointing his evil minions who alternately serve as proxies for his friends and their children.

Of course, he gradually grows into the evil lich role he plays, but he still would give it all up in a second to be playing that mmo with his guild again.

I'm interested in how he'll respond to a real, actual threat. Lich-ness surpresses his feelings, but you're basically right. He's never really had to fear for his life before so I'm wondering how he'll react when it really is.

NowonSA posted:

Let me tellyou about "The World of Warcraft", friend. :shepface:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Anatharon posted:

Let me tellyou about "The World of Warcraft", friend. :shepface:
Now now he doesn't need to be punished to eternal NEET-dom with that drivel. Or for anything at all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather read the Dragon Age novels by David Gaider. (this isn't a recommendation)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Animal Farm.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Depending on who's writing him at the time, Marvel's Dr. Doom has been portrayed as bringing peace and prosperity to his homeland of Latveria, despite being a tyrannical dictator out to rule the world.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nipponophile posted:

Depending on who's writing him at the time, Marvel's Dr. Doom has been portrayed as bringing peace and prosperity to his homeland of Latveria, despite being a tyrannical dictator out to rule the world.

IIRC Latveria has like incredible world class education and health care, but also if you try to leave the country without being explicitly ordered to do so on Doom Business, you'll be disintegrated by border drones.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

IIRC Latveria has like incredible world class education and health care, but also if you try to leave the country without being explicitly ordered to do so on Doom Business, you'll be disintegrated by border drones.

I'd still live there.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah that sounds good to me, even gives you an easy way to off yourself if you're feeling a bit depressed.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Animal Farm.
Read through that in 5th grade, understood everything on the first try.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Grouchio posted:

poo poo, get a load of this guy

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grouchio posted:

Cake Attack posted:

It's not a particularly difficult or subtle book...

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Nice av, comrade.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 20, 2015

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's not a particularly difficult or subtle book...

Don't mind Grouchio. He says the darndest things.
Also I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm in Cake Attack's post.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, I'd say Latveria would qualify. Ultimate Doom was pretty great in that respect, he fights the fantastic four early, gets beat, they let him limp off, and literally the next time you hear from him he's established a tiny new country that has like the 9th highest GDP in the world and is nothing but parties and affluence, it's pretty hilarious.

On the reading front, I've picked up Nick Offerman's memoir and the annotated version of Heir to the Empire, among others, so I'm pretty well stacked now.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best part about the NPC's is that they are all invested in the ideal of Ainz Ool Gown, like some popular dictatorships, even worshiping the founders.

The leader is the only one who thinks differently, since he is invested in the memories of his friends, not a political ideal.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Pharohman777 posted:

The best part about the NPC's is that they are all invested in the ideal of Ainz Ool Gown, like some popular dictatorships, even worshiping the founders.

The leader is the only one who thinks differently, since he is invested in the memories of his friends, not a political ideal.

You've got the cause and effect backwards, they worship their creators and all of their other creations, including the guild.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Grouchio posted:

SHAO KHAN: Impressive.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
im sure the kids with downs were very impressed

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

im sure the kids with downs were very impressed
You don't sound very impressed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ains is a lonely, timid man who suddenly gained great power. For all that he is now essentially a god, the most important thing to him is still the good old days with his mmo guild. So, with that in mind, he only has three goals in life. Protect what his friends left behind, make himself famous so that if any of his friends are around they will come back, and avoid disappointing his evil minions who alternately serve as proxies for his friends and their children.

Of course, he gradually grows into the evil lich role he plays, but he still would give it all up in a second to be playing that mmo with his guild again.

So the unnamed main character is the id, and ains is the superego

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Next weeks PVs are out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLInXlEkUss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x90YFLaZ6mk

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Related videos had these amazing shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju0vBuaDrNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4AfgUTFBdM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmCWdB9djcA

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 21, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I wish he'd hurry up and get out of the knights armor.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Give it an episode or two.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Oh dear, is this "that" episode? This will be my show of the year if they're actually brave enough to follow the graphic novel.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Going from complete ignorance here: What time of the day is this aired in Japan?

This is relevant to something I'm wondering about.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

without looking it up midnight or past midnight, that's when almost all anime airs

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I am extremely interested in how they approach this then.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah the next ep looks like it's gonna go past where the translated manga is. I hate waiting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I wish he'd hurry up and get out of the knights armor.

i still want to see his "human" face :argh:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Man this is the second time I've posted Oglaf in regards to this show.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

3 posted:

Man this is the second time I've posted Oglaf in regards to this show.

I forgot how much that king gets around

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Another chapter of volume six has been translated: http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/2015/08/O67.html

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Pharohman777 posted:

Another chapter of volume six has been translated: http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/2015/08/O67.html

This chapter-a-week thing seems a nice release rate. Too bad vol 8 only has two chapters, at 200+ pages each.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
WAIT! Today is a double release day! Chapter 7 and 8 of Volume six are out!
http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/2015/08/O67.html
http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/2015/08/O68.html

Skythewood Translations is great!

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

Pharohman777 posted:

WAIT! Today is a double release day! Chapter 7 and 8 of Volume six are out!
http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/2015/08/O67.html
http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/2015/08/O68.html

Skythewood Translations is great!

The drama cd 2 is also out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Dang it Demiurge, stop being such a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I don't mind and actually quite like that the novel has, for some time now, focused on people other than Ainz. But I hope that it's not going to turn into a cascade of constant failures by the kids, with dad only interfering whenever things go tits up. I hope things go well and they're not going to antagonize the entire kingdom in the next chapter.

• Locked thread