Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Venom Snake posted:

You see; screaming bloody murder and having a temper tantrum is the political wise thing to do.

Oh okay so you don't have any actual substantial opinion on this, you're just being contrarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

a shameful boehner posted:

Instead it's the same old lukewarm, establishment-Democratic pablum that isn't doing anything to win the base and certainly isn't winning over any undecideds.

It doesn't seem like Hillary knows how to do populism

The positions don't seem bad to me (at least based on her statements), it's just messaging and getting bogged down in the same dumb scandals and the same stupid gently caress-ups in communicating stuff

It's not her politics, it is (or looks from the outside like) the same organizational and message problems that plagued her last time

Venom Snake posted:

How dare she explain how the system actually works instead of coming up with a soundbyte for twitter. I for one and offended that the HRC did not dumb things down to the intellectual level of a sewer roach like donald trump does.

Even if you think it's noble in principle, it's difficult to see it actually working. Which is kind of important in a political campaign.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Yo... is that Stacy Keach narrating?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Joementum posted:

Here's part of Hillary's education effort on Wipewater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qot5RRGlOI0
"Hey here's an idea about how to deal with accusations made against our candidate: Let's put out a video repeating all of those allegations (and then calling each of them false in turn but let's at any rate repeat them!)." - Hillary's campaign, apparently.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Brannock posted:

You don't get out much, do you? Can you tell me what percentage of the American voting population you think has enough patience to listen to a stodgy "well technically it wasn't wrong..." dodge and devote mental processing power to it, especially over a year before the actual election?

That's not really the point of The Briefing. Obama had a similar backchannel set up in 2012. Their purpose is to give the campaign volunteers and hyper-involved partisans good talking points to argue with their friends and family when discussing Hillary.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This is Hillarys "I invented the internet" moment, its gonna drag her campaign down because she wont quit strangling herself in front of everybody

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Trump's not playing to win, either. :ssh:

I don't think you have enough intelligence to understand what I wrote. Having a play-to-win mentality is very different than play-not-to-lose. The latter leads you into weak and conservative decisions because they aren't risky. It has nothing to do with whether they actually want to become President or not.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
"Cuckfederates under siege in Richmond" :wtc:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brannock posted:

You don't get out much, do you? Can you tell me what percentage of the American voting population you think has enough patience to listen to a stodgy "well technically it wasn't wrong..." dodge and devote mental processing power to it, especially over a year before the actual election?

It isn't a matter of "well technically it wasn't wrong" it's a matter of it not being wrong at all. You are also assuming this is for the average American voter when it's a YouTube video meant for politically aware people (IE smarter than your average sewer roach).

Joementum posted:

That's not really the point of The Briefing. Obama had a similar backchannel set up in 2012. Their purpose is to give the campaign volunteers and hyper-involved partisans good talking points to argue with their friends and family when discussing Hillary.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Bunleigh posted:

As long as we're all reminiscing about Romney, how about this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGg0WsEw0Hg

:allears: Please join the run Mitt.

Please.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Dahn posted:

Gate opens in 10 mins

edit 55% chance of rain

His 757 is about an hour away from Mobile.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N757AF

It's currently just a little before 6 PM. His event starts at 7 PM. The airport, which is very close to the stadium, is reporting clear skies although rain storms are close by.

I bet they're trying for it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Venom Snake posted:

How dare she explain how the system actually works instead of coming up with a soundbyte for twitter. I for one and offended that the HRC did not dumb things down to the intellectual level of a sewer roach like donald trump does.

the American public has the attention span of a goldfish, if it's not compressible into a vine, it's not gonna stick

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love how every single time there is a Clinton """"""""""scandal""""""""" people swear that this will finally be the one than sinks Bill or Hillary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

Here's an example of the Obama campaign doing this in 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkLeDyspXtc

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 22, 2016

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Make sure to wear only your finest big mouth bass shirt to the Trump rally.

Some of these guests on CNN are eating this poo poo up. "Trump has decided that the Republican party doesn't need minorities. As you can see live on the other screen, his voting base is exactly the people he thinks Republicans only need to win. White people." It was off a discussion how Republicans have been trying to get more base by courting Latino voters, and basically Trump just flushed any work they've done away forever. Not that there was any to begin with, but, you know. The party is fuuuucked.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

and have to fall back on semantic arguments and arcane procedural history to justify your actions

It suddenly occurs to me why D&D has a bunch of Hillary supporters.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

It can't be any worse than how she's handled it so far.

It's actually pretty simple: If you can't explain your actions in a concise and understandable way and have to fall back on semantic arguments and arcane procedural history to justify your actions, you won't pass the smell test with the public and you will have lost the pr battle.

Now Clinton has dug herself a nice hole and in order to get out of it, she hasn't changed tactics and has decided to just explain harder. It won't work.

The fact the documents weren't classified when she accessed them along with the privilege the SoS is afforded when dealing with said documents has nothing to do with semantics or arcane procedural history.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

It isn't a matter of "well technically it wasn't wrong" it's a matter of it not being wrong at all. You are also assuming this is for the average American voter when it's a YouTube video meant for politically aware people (IE smarter than your average sewer roach).

We don't really know how they're going to play it going forward, and it doesn't sound (going off the Huffpo piece) that this is going to be the extent of it, but that instead it's going to be a significant part of their messaging.

And, again, we don't really know how that's going to play out, but I don't think people ITT have a lot of faith in their ability to do it well, and justifiably so.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Brannock posted:

lol

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
C'mon HIllary, get with the program. It's simple, "I love emails. I've always loved emails. Emails are my friends. Emails are great. I've always loved emails. But emails are a disaster. They're killing us."

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Joementum posted:

Make sure to wear only your finest big mouth bass shirt to the Trump rally.

is the man in black being detained

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bob Ojeda posted:

We don't really know how they're going to play it going forward, and it doesn't sound (going off the Huffpo piece) that this is going to be the extent of it, but that instead it's going to be a significant part of their messaging.

And, again, we don't really know how that's going to play out, but I don't think people ITT have a lot of faith in their ability to do it well, and justifiably so.

People ITT don't have a lot of faith because Donald Trump has moved the level of intellectual political discourse from "mildly sentient house pet" to " pre-evolutionary moss". Everyone wants to see a dumb show of force and a man with a bad hair cut get in a twitter fight; not a well reasoned and accurate explanation of the situation.

A YouTube video series is not going to kill Hillary's campaign.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bob Ojeda posted:

The Ellen Page thing is probably great news for Cruz in the GOP primary.

Which, really, is just another thing that makes Ellen Page awesome.

Please tell me this was Paige questioning Cruz on why he revoked his Canadian Citizenship

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Brannock posted:

Hey, come on now. Some of us attempt to avoid the semantics arguments. Arcane details are gold, though. The more pedantry, minutiae and finely-split hair, the better.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I get where you're coming from and what you're saying, but it's not gonna fly with the general public because now you've got to get into when was the stuff classified and how and by whom and on and on you go down the rabbit hole of semantics that does nothing to dispel the generally held notion of "this whole thing seemed like a really bad idea to begin with and people usually launch into complicated explanations when they're lying about something."

Again; how is "There was no wrong doing as the documents were not classified" going down a rabbit hole? I think people are just looking for things to complain about because it's Hillary Clinton and complaining about her or her campaign has become a meme at this point

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

People ITT don't have a lot of faith because Donald Trump has moved the level of intellectual political discourse from "mildly sentient house pet" to " pre-evolutionary moss". Everyone wants to see a dumb show of force and a man with a bad hair cut get in a twitter fight; not a well reasoned and accurate explanation of the situation.

A YouTube video series is not going to kill Hillary's campaign.

If a series of YouTube videos is all it is, it won't matter one way or the other. The HuffPo piece gave the impression that it was going to be something more significant and committed than that.

Also, no, Donald Trump hasn't fundamentally changed the nature of political discourse. He's been really good at taking advantage of a lot of the ways in which our discourse is remarkably lovely, but it - and our understanding of it - predates him. Donald Trump is not responsible for the fact that it's much easier to convince people with a dumb show of force, and much more difficult to convince them with a well-reasoned and accurate explanation of the situation. But, as much as it might suck, that is kind of the world we live in.

And the reason people don't have faith in Hillary's ability to do it is because she's spent a lot of time screwing it up.

e:

DOOP posted:

Please tell me this was Paige questioning Cruz on why he revoked his Canadian Citizenship

Page questioning Cruz over LGBT stuff.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just watched Trump's New Hampshire speech. At the end, in case anybody missed it, he agrees with someone from the audience that God needs to be back in government.

Seems like he has the base covered.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Frontier Airlines is a big fan of Deez Nuts.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Trump/Nuts 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bob Ojeda posted:

And the reason people don't have faith in Hillary's ability to do it is because she's spent a lot of time screwing it up.

Venom Snake posted:

it's Hillary Clinton and complaining about her or her campaign has become a meme at this point

I love how everyone overlooks how well run the Obama campaign was in 2008, and acts like him being nominated was purely due to Hillary loving up. Like I said, it's a meme at this point. Hillary's campaign has made very smart moves in refusing to engage Donald Trump or any other of the retarded clowns that currently comprise the GOP 2016 line up, as well as staying positive when dealing with Bernie. Of course those smart moves will be overlooked because if we don't preform the daily ritual criticism of Clinton the sun god will forsake us and plunge the world into darkness.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

I love how everyone overlooks how well run the Obama campaign was in 2008, and acts like him being nominated was purely due to Hillary loving up. Like I said, it's a meme at this point. Hillary's campaign has made very smart moves in refusing to engage Donald Trump or any other of the retarded clowns that currently comprise the GOP 2016 line up, as well as staying positive when dealing with Bernie. Of course those smart moves will be overlooked because if we don't preform the daily ritual criticism of Clinton the sun god will forsake us and plunge the world into darkness.

but also, maybe sometimes Hillary Clinton screws up

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Slate Action posted:

Trump/Nuts 2016

god that is such a great name combo

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bob Ojeda posted:

but also, maybe sometimes Hillary Clinton screws up

Clinton screwing up is refusing to fire Mark Penn, what isn't screwing up is attempting to rationally explain the situation instead of having a meltdown.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

Again; how is "There was no wrong doing as the documents were not classified" going down a rabbit hole? I think people are just looking for things to complain about because it's Hillary Clinton and complaining about her or her campaign has become a meme at this point

Everyone gets where you're coming from but what you're talking about here is an emotional public with a short attention span and they've already made up their minds, Hillary mansplaining it is not doing anyone any good

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Venom Snake posted:

Clinton screwing up is refusing to fire Mark Penn, what isn't screwing up is attempting to rationally explain the situation instead of having a meltdown.

she could straight up "yeah this is some bs" have a clean, snappy answer in preparation for what's to come, and then just repeat it over and over again. instead it just looks like shes evading everything which kind of implicates her. its the same thing with romney's taxes. except she's probably innocent of any wrongdoing.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

It's possible. It just seems less likely to work, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcOEV9C85_8

come listen to the beeping

• Locked thread