Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

What am I looking at, here...? :stare:
Did someone accidentally drop their milkshake in their air filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

IIRC that's a wonderfull of combination of water and oil, that then gets fed back into the air filter via the PCV system?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Volkswagen bought them out we could have milkshake in the taillights! :v:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I do. I can't decide if it's somehow puking into its own intake or if someone literally spilled a milkshake in there.

I want to place money on "tried to fill radiator with a hose but put it down the oil inlet instead".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's a rover, it probably did that by itself via some horrendous HG/liner/block failure and ensuing lack of repair until it stopped moving of its own accord.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My miillllkshake brings all the mechanics to the yard

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

My miillllkshake brings all the mechanics to the yard

And they're like, DEAR MOTHER OF GOD

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

And they're like, DEAR MOTHER OF GOD

I could fix it, but I'd have to charge

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
drat it's, going to the boneyard.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Godholio posted:

I've got a telescoping one, but pretty much all I can use it for is to grab the loving frame or block every 4 inches on the way towards the socket collection point.

Ahem.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0043227UM

quote:

Features:
-Powerful Magnet Lifts up to 8 lb.
-Chrome Plated Shaft Telescopes from 6-1/2-Inch to 33-Inch
-Removable Shielding Collar Prevents Magnetic Attraction to Non-Target Objects
-Non-Slip, Soft Finger Grip Handle
-Lifetime Guarantee

The collar keeps anything not directly below the face of the magnet from sticking to it, and it works loving great. :chord:

Best tool I ever bought out of a shady guy's van behind the shop. Seriously, whoever was asking about Tekton, here's the deal: Tekton actually no poo poo actually employs Tool Truck guys just like Snapon and Matco. The difference is the Tekton "rep" shows up in an ancient and terrifying Econoline cargo van. It's covered inside with dark floor-to-ceiling shag carpeting and the tears of missing children mildew. All the merch is piled facedown in a three-foot-deep heap, as though just this morning he dumped out an assortment of Tekton repack bins in the cargo area, because that's what he did. He only takes cash.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Splizwarf posted:

Ahem.

The collar keeps anything not directly below the face of the magnet from sticking to it, and it works loving great. :chord:

Best tool I ever bought out of a shady guy's van behind the shop. Seriously, whoever was asking about Tekton, here's the deal: Tekton actually no poo poo actually employs Tool Truck guys just like Snapon and Matco. The difference is the Tekton "rep" shows up in an ancient and terrifying Econoline cargo van. It's covered inside with dark floor-to-ceiling shag carpeting and the tears of missing children mildew. All the merch is piled facedown in a three-foot-deep heap, as though just this morning he dumped out an assortment of Tekton repack bins in the cargo area, because that's what he did. He only takes cash.

That might have been me in the tools thread. Cool, sounds legit! Does he also sell stereo equipment?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Splizwarf posted:

Ahem.

I will be adding that to my next amazon purchase. Probably those pliers from the last page, too. gently caress yes.

Edit: Planes don't usually make it in this thread, but there have been some interesting photos released this week of an aircraft fire.

I guess the theory is that some depot worker hand-tightened an O2 fitting instead of torquing properly. Eventually it worked loose, there was an ignition source, and BAM! Insta-fire that can't easily be put out. Exactly what you want on a loving airplane.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 26, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Godholio posted:

I guess the theory is that some depot worker hand-tightened an O2 fitting instead of torquing properly. Eventually it worked loose, there was an ignition source, and BAM! Insta-fire that can't easily be put out. Exactly what you want on a loving airplane.

I'm going to go ahead and give my opinion that if a single nut being not quite tight enough can cause a plane to go down in flames, then maybe there's something of a design flaw there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Weird. The company named in that is one I deliver to regularly (they have a satellite office near my store, I assume for engineers or something). I always thought they were part of Level 3; I finally asked the other day what they did in that building, and was told "we're a DoD contractor, and that's about as much as I can say".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Weird. The company named in that is one I deliver to regularly (they have a satellite office near my store, I assume for engineers or something). I always thought they were part of Level 3; I finally asked the other day what they did in that building, and was told "we're a DoD contractor, and that's about as much as I can say".

Check your car for tracking devices :tinfoil:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

It's always fun to find out that the term production outage can refer to things like the control systems for Predator drones.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

quote:

The aircraft, marked with tail number 64-14848, had been built in 1964, outfitted for its reconnaissance mission, and arrived at Offutt in 1967. It once was nicknamed “Smokey.”

Sounds about right.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

spog posted:

I'm going to go ahead and give my opinion that if a single nut being not quite tight enough can cause a plane to go down in flames, then maybe there's something of a design flaw there.

Well in fairness pure gaseous oxygen (and liquid oxygen even moreso) is really loving dangerous.

:nms: right at the end, but it's peak 1960s corniness otherwise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sIT6P_05I

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MrChips posted:

Well in fairness pure gaseous oxygen (and liquid oxygen even moreso) is really loving dangerous.

:nms: right at the end, but it's peak 1960s corniness otherwise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sIT6P_05I

Holy poo poo, that's a proclick right there. Thanks.

I've seen parodies of these type of films that were less corny.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

spog posted:

More common than you think! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_nut

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

spog posted:

You are theoretically right, but sometimes it is hard to avoid. For example it sounds like this was a loose flare nut. Flare fittings are exceptionally safe when tightened properly, which is why we use them on brake lines and other hydraulics (as well as high pressure fuel systems and all manner of other stuff like that), but if they aren't properly checked or torqued it can be a very serious issue.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I'll never get tired of taco'd Tacomas

Assuming it's still eligible for that frame replacement recall, how would you even tow it?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

`Nemesis posted:

Assuming it's still eligible for that frame replacement recall, how would you even tow it?

Awww that's what mine was borderline going to do. Then Toyota gave me a loving wad of cash for it. This is the story of why I love Toyota (seriously, I owned it for 10 years and almost 200k kilometres, and with what they bought it off me for under the recall, I ended up paying $6k for that truck).

As to how do you tow it - maybe chain the front and back tires together and haul it onto a flatbed? I really don't know.

Maybe just use a front-end loader? :P

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

It's got all the wheels on the ground so I'd say just take the driveshaft off, put it in 4x4 to engage the front wheels and drive it around anyway. :v:

edit: Where the gently caress is a picture of that sheriff car bent in half from one of the Smokey and the Bandit sequels...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Siochain posted:

Awww that's what mine was borderline going to do. Then Toyota gave me a loving wad of cash for it. This is the story of why I love Toyota (seriously, I owned it for 10 years and almost 200k kilometres, and with what they bought it off me for under the recall, I ended up paying $6k for that truck).

As to how do you tow it - maybe chain the front and back tires together and haul it onto a flatbed? I really don't know.

Maybe just use a front-end loader? :P

My cousin got a new frame for his - the first time.

The second time they bought it back from him and gave him enough to buy basically the same truck, but with fewer miles and less rot, again.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

`Nemesis posted:

That's kind of sad. How does the frame rot out that bad with the rest of the vehicle in still pretty decent looking shape?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

veedubfreak posted:

That's kind of sad. How does the frame rot out that bad with the rest of the vehicle in still pretty decent looking shape?

Exceptionally bad steel used in the frame. Like, terrible.
Mine lived in Manitoba for most of its life, and was still okay. Had a full safety, frame inspected, everything was solid.
One Ontario winter (where they act like Romans and salt the earth), and the frame went to poo poo. I'm sure this means there was already rust somewhere, but it wasn't bad.
Took it in for an oil change/get the winter tires off/etc, and apparently the tech who put it on the lift nearly dove out from under it when he saw how rusted the frame was. It was badddddddd.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

low quality steel combined with faulty design. I have seen a few tundras that were essentially 2 layers of c channel riveted over each other. The problem with this is that capillary action draws water and salt in between the layers and it festers and rots from the inside out. You only see it when it bursts through or the frame balloons up and looks like filo dough because it is packed full of chunky rust.

This is also why rockers, wheel arches, and floors along spotweld joints rot out first. All places that gravity and/or capillary action conspire against you to keep moisture on the metal for longer than everywhere else.

e: wrangler frames suffer from the same issue due to poor drainage in the low spots, brackets welded on affecting the rust resistance of the base metal, and wicking of water near the trans crossmember. It is a very common design flaw, it only turns into a recall when it is really bad or presents a serious safety issue.

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 26, 2015

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
:science:

concentration cell corrosion is what that is called. When you get a small space like that Ir accelerates the corrosion. I used to work on snowplow/sanding trucks which get salt everywhere. Alot of older trucks had the laminated frames which would have to get taken off of the road since they would have so much metal missing.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNBTgs7UxKA

Siochain
May 24, 2005

That is magical and I want to go play with that.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

`Nemesis posted:

how would you even tow it?

Give a couple hefty teenagers $20 apiece to sit on the roof, oughta bend back just as easily right? :haw:

But yeah the right answer is an extended-length flatbed.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Siochain posted:

That is magical and I want to go play with that.

So much joy in that sound!

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

My company's biggest customer is Level 3. Our servers have seen some poo poo but we will never know about it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

My company's biggest customer is Level 3. Our servers have seen some poo poo but we will never know about it.

Send me hardware....

For reasons.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

SuperDucky posted:

When I referred to "Level 3", I meant Level 3 Communications - the tier 1 internet provider.

This place is also Level 3, but their sign says L3 Mustang Technologies, and the sign in the lobby adds "Unmanned Division" or something about Unmanned stuff. Never noticed that until today, I'm usually chatting with the secretary (she's friendly, and hey, I like to talk anyway) while waiting for whoever ordered to come down, and enjoying the loving awesome air conditioning that almost has me shivering. When I finally asked what they did there, she mumbled stuff about department of defense, and I went "ohhhhh... I was thinking Level 3 Communications, the large internet backbone provider". Then noticed all the flags. :downs:

Level 3 is one of our more frequent customers. They don't usually order more than 10 pizzas at a time (they ordered 14 today), and they generally give us several hours notice. My store is a low volume store, so we really don't have to staff to deal with even a 10-15 pizza order that we're not prepared for.

Slavvy posted:

Check your car for tracking devices :tinfoil:

As if Android and Google aren't tracking my every move already. You can even see where I had dinner. :tinfoil:

Almost looks like an angry spider.

They'd be pretty disappointed to see where I go on a daily basis. Actually, a cellphone remanufacturing factory we delivery to has tighter security, at least in appearances (I guarantee Level 3 has more hidden security though) - I've caught the cellphone place trying to get my car towed more than a few times now, just because it's a car they don't recognize (and I can't put a car topper on my car - sunroof is in the way, and it has to face a certain direction). Have to go through a metal detector and get the drat pizza bags xrayed to get into the cellphone place, and it's always a bitch finding the person who ordered.

Das Volk posted:

It's always fun to find out that the term production outage can refer to things like the control systems for Predator drones.

The sign in the lobby says "Unmanned Division" or something along those lines. :stare: Wound up out there twice today.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
I've seen the chocolate milk from engines, anyone ever seen Jell-oŽ?
http://gfycat.com/ImpishFarEyas
Came from the engine in a WhisperWatt diesel generator. The mechanics on site have never seen anything like it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The L in L-3 doesn't stand for Level btw. They have nothing to do with Level 3. Which is good because L3 is an unbelievably poo poo company.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Enourmo posted:

ummm.... if u use the front brakes on a bike... u'll flip.... be safe and just use the rears....

(things I have actually been told by bikers)

Are you serious.. that there is a seriously human failure. Who the gently caress believes that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

rainwulf posted:

Are you serious.. that there is a seriously human failure. Who the gently caress believes that...

Old, stubborn bikers, layerdans, and young kids who worship at their altars. Oh, and a lot of Harley riders.