Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Well that sounds boring for the viewer. Should I attempt to force people off the road and take over their caravans of mother's milk? Am I awaited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Pope Mobile posted:

Well that sounds boring for the viewer. Should I attempt to force people off the road and take over their caravans of mother's milk? Am I awaited?

Two words, my friend:

rear end cam. Everyone appreciates a good rear end cam.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

Stop thinking about a hypothetical viewer and start thinking about the potential insurance claims and egregious traffic violations you dodge on a daily basis.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Your loved ones can listen to your death rattle as you drown in your own blood after a semi crushes your diaphragm. :3:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Your loved ones can listen to your death rattle as you drown in your own blood after a semi crushes your diaphragm. :3:

Did you have a hard night out or something :stonk:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ola posted:

Probably starving for gas for some reason. Could be that it doesn't get enough vacuum to the petcock when cruising on the highway which causes it to gradually starve or that the tank vent is not letting air in so a vacuum is keeping it from starting. Next time it happens, imemdiately try opening the tank cover. If there is a bigger psscht! than usual, you might have found the problem.

You might be right. It happened again today (before i read this post) and this time i didn't come to a complete stop or pull the clutch so the lights never came on. I turned the petcock to prime and back while still rolling, and it recovered! Sounds like a fuel problem for sure, or a big coincidence.

I put some fuel system cleaner in (something i do occasionally anyway) to see if that clears anything up. I'll try that gas cover thing you mentioned if it happens again.

Could it be a piece of gunk sometimes getting caught on the fuel screen/filter behind the petcock? Could it be a carb problem? Could it be a lot of things :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Bullshit. I'll never go quietly.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Did you have a hard night out or something :stonk:

I had a pretty drat good commute home today. I had a lanesplit buddy. :3: We left all the cruisers and Beamers in the dust and then went our separate ways. I hope next time we find a way to :hfive:

cursedshitbox posted:

:lol:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

alnilam posted:

Could it be a lot of things :v:

Yes! But since it's flowing correctly with prime, it's probably not tank vacuum and probably not gunk. Could be as simple as the vacuum hose going to the petcock has a kink in it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Having an electric problem with my 01 nighthawk 250. With the key in, the headlights turn on but the start button does nothing except cut the headlight out. No sounds, no clicks or anything. I charged the battery which seemed to help for a week, but now it's back. Today I got it started after tightening the screws on the battery terminal, but they weren't loose at all. Any thoughts??

cursedshitbox posted:

sidestand switch, clutch switch, neutral safety switch. Test these.

also lol kill switch.

What? No.

The battery is toast. That is classic dead battery symptoms. How old is it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Amen.

nsaP posted:

The battery is toast.

Hallelujah.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

nsaP posted:

What? No.

The battery is toast. That is classic dead battery symptoms. How old is it?

At least 12k miles and 17 months. I've got a new battery on the way, thanks!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Chichevache posted:

All of my possessions go to the man or animal that killed me.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is there a goon-approved security torx set for bike stuff? I need to remove my triple and don't want some cheesy bits wrecking my torx bolts.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Is there a goon-approved security torx set for bike stuff? I need to remove my triple and don't want some cheesy bits wrecking my torx bolts.

Security Torx bits are pretty much disposable - buy a set of Neikos on Amazon and replace them as they come. You want bits that are softer than the bolts so they twist rather than stripping out the bolts. You break them every so often, but that's life.

If you just need to remove the triple though, you can just disconnect the wiring harness and pull the triple + ignition as one piece.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Pope Mobile posted:

All of my possessions go to the man or animal that killed me.

What are all these symbols?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Does my sumo need a skid plate (DRZ)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Does my sumo need a skid plate (DRZ)

Are you planning on taking it off road or jumping it off big ledges or anything? If yes, then I would get a cheap aluminum one that bolts on in place of the stock plastic ones.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's like $90 but no I won't go that crazy so nevermind. I did get case savers though

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What are all these symbols?

The man who kills me will know.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Trying to tighten up my chain, now struggling with wheel alignment. Honda's bullshit manual is hilariously unhelpful:

quote:

Check rear axle alignment by making sure the chain adjuster index marks align with the rear edge of the adjusting slots. Both left and right marks should correspond.

So does align mean the marks won't be parallel to the slot edge if alignment is wrong, or that they should be the same distance from the back of the slot? How do I know which side to adjust, and which way?

The only videos I can find are faffing about with bits of string, which I can't do as I don't have a centre stand.

Reason I'm flipping out is the marks don't appear to "correspond", whatever the gently caress that means, but the adjuster bolts on each side measure exactly the same when I put a calliper on there. Should I be measuring from the back of the bolts, or the distance between the adjuster marks and the back of the slot?

Also the marks are corroded to poo poo, because Honda :cripes:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Need a new battery. Old one won't hold a charge more than a day anymore :(

I've never shopped for one. Is this one fine?

Several friends have told me AGM is a good worthwhile thing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Need a new battery. Old one won't hold a charge more than a day anymore :(

I've never shopped for one. Is this one fine?

Several friends have told me AGM is a good worthwhile thing.

I had a bad experience with the AGM battery I fitted to my Aprilia - it died after only 18 months. Stick with Yuasa.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I had a bad experience with the AGM battery I fitted to my Aprilia - it died after only 18 months. Stick with Yuasa.

Yuasa makes AGM batteries too though :confused:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yuasa is the best brand, generally (OEM supplies) - they're a bit more expensive but worth it if you plan on keeping the bike for more than 2 years. Otherwise the bike master (cycle gears in house brand) is fine.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
^^^^ I had no idea they were CG's in-house brand. Makes me even less surprised that a $50 o-ring chain lasted only 10kmi on a DRZ.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

It's like $90 but no I won't go that crazy so nevermind. I did get case savers though

Ebay? IIRC they're a stock part so there's bound to be a ton floating around from parted out DRZs

comedy option: Have Chichivache ship you a skid plate from one of his exploded ones.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Renaissance Robot posted:

Trying to tighten up my chain, now struggling with wheel alignment. Honda's bullshit manual is hilariously unhelpful:

So does align mean the marks won't be parallel to the slot edge if alignment is wrong, or that they should be the same distance from the back of the slot? How do I know which side to adjust, and which way?

The only videos I can find are faffing about with bits of string, which I can't do as I don't have a centre stand.

Reason I'm flipping out is the marks don't appear to "correspond", whatever the gently caress that means, but the adjuster bolts on each side measure exactly the same when I put a calliper on there. Should I be measuring from the back of the bolts, or the distance between the adjuster marks and the back of the slot?

Also the marks are corroded to poo poo, because Honda :cripes:

Those marks are seldom precise even if you can see them. I'll use the marks as a general guide and then spin the rear wheel and eyeball the alignment on the chain. I set the tension on the chain side first, then move the other side to align. Sometimes it needs one more quick adjustment on the chain side to dial in the tension.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fairly confident I've got it down to less than half a millimetre, how much is that likely to matter?

I don't have a centre stand, and don't really have room for a paddock stand, only managed to check the wheel could spin by having a friend hold the bike up on the side stand; would a wheel roller work alright with the bike leaned over, to let me check the chain alignment?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My bike is acting weird again, and I cannot figure out why. Today I started it up cold, left it at partial choke to idle while I put on gear, then turned off the choke once I got going. I manually kept the throttle open at a few lights to keep it from dying, and a few miles down the road it bogged hard and died. This happened just as I was getting on the highway, so revs were pretty big while I was downshifting trying to stop the slow death of the engine.

Once it died, no amount of fiddling with the throttle while I abused the starter would work. After lots of this, and unsure of what else to do, I pulled the choke full open, and it roared to life no problem. A mile down the highway I turned the choke off and everything was fine. It even idled strong at the light a few exits down.

Battery and starter motor are fine, I replaced the seemingly offending ignition coil, and I had plenty of gas. What is going on?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Renaissance Robot posted:

Fairly confident I've got it down to less than half a millimetre, how much is that likely to matter?

I don't have a centre stand, and don't really have room for a paddock stand, only managed to check the wheel could spin by having a friend hold the bike up on the side stand; would a wheel roller work alright with the bike leaned over, to let me check the chain alignment?

Having done this a bunch recently, you're going to notice when you ride if it's terribly off. If it's not obvious, and the marks are pretty close, you're probably OK.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

My bike is acting weird again, and I cannot figure out why. Today I started it up cold, left it at partial choke to idle while I put on gear, then turned off the choke once I got going. I manually kept the throttle open at a few lights to keep it from dying, and a few miles down the road it bogged hard and died. This happened just as I was getting on the highway, so revs were pretty big while I was downshifting trying to stop the slow death of the engine.

Once it died, no amount of fiddling with the throttle while I abused the starter would work. After lots of this, and unsure of what else to do, I pulled the choke full open, and it roared to life no problem. A mile down the highway I turned the choke off and everything was fine. It even idled strong at the light a few exits down.

Battery and starter motor are fine, I replaced the seemingly offending ignition coil, and I had plenty of gas. What is going on?

Sounds like the choke got stuck.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Choke got stuck...closed? Open? If it was open more than normal, I'd have noticed when the clutch was out at those first lights. Is there something going on inside the carb that I am not taking in to account? I wish my ex250 would stop having weird issues, and I definitely don't want to have to pull and clean the carb. I shouldn't have to on such a young bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sea foam, fresh gas, lots of wide open throttle.

Choke could have gotten stuck partway open, leading to it not wanting to idle. A little bit of choke engagement goes a long ways towards loving up the fueling.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This would cause it to die while being given lots of throttle, too? Such as an onramp or 30+ speeds? Will seafoam clean up a carb a bit, too, or does it only work in the combustion chamber?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

This would cause it to die while being given lots of throttle, too? Such as an onramp or 30+ speeds? Will seafoam clean up a carb a bit, too, or does it only work in the combustion chamber?

It can gently caress with full throttle running - could have honestly just been some bad gas too, or a little water in the gas.

Seafoam will work on everything that the fuel passes through, so it does a decent job of addressing minorly clogged jets/passages where running isn't quite perfect but it's also not completely clogged up yet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just found out that my choke cable snapped somewhere in the line. Could that have contributed somehow to my electronics issue regarding the dead battery/no power after riding a few miles?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Z3n posted:

Yuasa is the best brand, generally (OEM supplies) - they're a bit more expensive but worth it if you plan on keeping the bike for more than 2 years. Otherwise the bike master (cycle gears in house brand) is fine.

Bike Master is its own brand, actually. CG sells it, but Leoch makes Duraboost and Megaboost batteries for Cyclegear. Those are the "exclusive" brands.

I recommend Yuasa. The quality of their batteries is better than the cheap stuff.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

Bike Master is its own brand, actually. CG sells it, but Leoch makes Duraboost and Megaboost batteries for Cyclegear. Those are the "exclusive" brands.

I recommend Yuasa. The quality of their batteries is better than the cheap stuff.

Oooh, you're right - my bad. Thanks for the correction :)

Bottom Liner posted:

I just found out that my choke cable snapped somewhere in the line. Could that have contributed somehow to my electronics issue regarding the dead battery/no power after riding a few miles?

Dead battery, not directly - low power, yes, it will run like crap if you have the choke on when it's hot. And if it was stalling and you were cranking it a lot that could kill the battery.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah I just have no power. No lights or anything. Figured after the recent posts it might be related somehow. I'm actually not sure when the cable snapped, I just realized it today while putzing around with my old battery and testing some stuff. The bike still runs if I jump it from a car, albeit the power comes and goes (electric, not engine). Lights dim, etc. The engine itself runs fine when I jump it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Coydog posted:

I'm getting more sure that your carbs are starving for gas. The choke pulls from its own opening lower down in the float bowl so it will have access to gas while the other jets are starving. The vacuum hose going to your petcock probably has a kink in it somewhere, not enough to completely close it but enough to make it unreliable. There is often a spring around the hose to prevent this, is it still there? Does the hose look old or not original?