Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

l33t b4c0n posted:

Does Geralt ever use bombs in the books? It's a big mechanic in the games, and I can't really recall any specific instances. Hell, he rarely even uses signs from what I remember.

No. He uses Aard a few times, the heliotrope sign from W1 which is Quen I suppose. He uses Igni once to mend a pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

JaucheCharly posted:

No. He uses Aard a few times, the heliotrope sign from W1 which is Quen I suppose. He uses Igni once to mend a pot.

The most mundane of witchers.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

This game worth replaying? Lost my saves a couple of months back, haven't played since.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It is if you liked it

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

If you feel like playing it, it's worth replaying.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

On my fourth playthrough( first NG+ one) and I'm still finding new things/quests/characters.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I did three playthroughs on PS4, started a NG+ run, then realized the game actually ran much better than thought on my PC, so now I'm starting a new one on that.

What I'm saying is, the game sucks and you shouldn't play it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There's definitely enough content that you could miss a bunch of stuff on one play through, enough for dozens of hours of gameplay, but it really depends on whether you liked playing the game the first time

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

anatomi posted:

This game worth replaying? Lost my saves a couple of months back, haven't played since.

What did you think of the combat? That seems to be the most divisive part of the game with some players strongly disliking it. If you thought the combat was at least decent, definitely play it through because everything else (well, except the inventory/crafting UI and weird level progression) is amazing.

Even if you didn't like the combat, I would still recommend trying to finish the main Velen questlines on the lowest difficulty.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

JaucheCharly posted:

Totally agree. It's all about Ciri. Once you read the books, you'll be surprised how little witchering there's in there. I think there's like 3 or 4 situations where Geralt drinks a potion. Barely any monster hunting compared to all the other stuff that happens. Geralt kills shitloads of people though.

Less than in the games though. Geralt would likely not survive many of the situations that occur in the games, in the books. This is another reason I don't think Ciri is too overpowered for a sequel. It's a lot more plausible for Ciri, the way she's depicted, to be able to take out Dethmold or Philippa or a huge crowd of guards that are actually prepared to fight her than Geralt.

To be fair, Geralt doesn't drink as many potions in the books because

1. They have very harsh and unpleasant side effects (Yennefer actually admonishes him for using them in both the books and games)

2. He loses access to his chest after Book 4.

Swedish Horror posted:

On my fourth playthrough( first NG+ one) and I'm still finding new things/quests/characters.

I'm on playthrough three.

I thought I was the biggest witcher sperg.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Refresh my memory: which quests will autofail when I go to open up Kaer Morhen? I know I need to finish Following the Thread, The Last Wish, and Now or Never, but what else? Do I need to do Keira's quests? What about Roche's?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

I did three playthroughs on PS4, started a NG+ run, then realized the game actually ran much better than thought on my PC, so now I'm starting a new one on that.

What I'm saying is, the game sucks and you shouldn't play it.

Were any of these completionist playthroughs? It took me 160 hours to beat while doing everything, and it's exhausting to consider doing that all over again. A ng+ run where I only do main and character quests sounds reasonable.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Why would you ever do a "completionist" playthrough of an open world game?

That is insanity.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CVagts posted:

Refresh my memory: which quests will autofail when I go to open up Kaer Morhen? I know I need to finish Following the Thread, The Last Wish, and Now or Never, but what else? Do I need to do Keira's quests? What about Roche's?

Dandelion's as well, not sure on the others but probably.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Keira's quests will keep at least. Not sure about Roche's. I think the ones involved with people that can be recruited for the battle will keep. Like the last of the Skellige quests for Hjalmar and Cerys, for instance.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

That is insanity.

Because some of us have crippling OCD? Good point, though. Still bummed that I killed Madman Lugos before playing him for his gwent card so I'm locked out of that.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

Because some of us have crippling OCD? Good point, though. Still bummed that I killed Madman Lugos before playing him for his gwent card so I'm locked out of that.

At least with Dijkstra, I'm pretty sure I got the card when I killed him.

The part that bothered me about the Gwent quests was that after reaching some point in the main quest, there were people like Dijkstra and Roche who either lost the option to play or wouldn't talk to me at all since I dragged my feet starting the Gwent quests.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
ENDING SPOILERS, DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDNhwraf6Fo

Cut dialogue. Apparently originally the Lodge amnesty was 100% confirmed as a sham. Yen screwed them. Somehow managed to get Triss out of it, but Philippa is a dead woman walking. Kind of weird she'd help Triss but not Margarita. Of course this is cut dialogue, so it can't really be viewed a official characterization. Still interesting.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Orv posted:

Dandelion's as well, not sure on the others but probably.

Cabaret fails? Dang, all I want to do is get some Wolf Armor but now I gotta do that nonsense first. :(

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Sharmat posted:

That is insanity.

True story I did all the "?'s" in the Valen/Novigrad area then I went to Skellige and simply deflated and did the main story. Much better game once I did that. Chaff from Wheat an all that.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

FauxGateau posted:

True story I did all the "?'s" in the Valen/Novigrad area then I went to Skellige and simply deflated and did the main story. Much better game once I did that. Chaff from Wheat an all that.

I wasn't foolish enough to attempt THAT, but completing every quest I found still took an age.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I just did the exploration stuff and other contracts when I felt like it. Didn't remotely try to be completionist with anything that wasn't related to the main plot or secondary characters. I still missed stuff on both of those, though. I only just found the Eternal Fire shrine Tamara uses at Crow's Perch, for instance.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

drat it, Geralt.

https://youtu.be/vvYqslgQPtc

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I just did the exploration stuff and other contracts when I felt like it. Didn't remotely try to be completionist with anything that wasn't related to the main plot or secondary characters. I still missed stuff on both of those, though. I only just found the Eternal Fire shrine Tamara uses at Crow's Perch, for instance.

I'm at the very least trying to be "completionist" when it comes to investigations so I found that even though I'm only on my first playthrough. I liked that a lot.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I didn't realize you could go through her drawers and stuff initially so I missed the scent trail to find the shrine.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I was in a rush so I had to wrap it up but I was hoping to check out everything in that morgue in Carnal Sins, I may reload an earlier save because I have an undying thirst for worldbuilding.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt mistaking a female dwarf corpse for the one they're looking for because of the beard is cool.

I hope Joachim von Gratz is in the October expansion. He was a cool character.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Him going with you into the sewers with a crossbow and giving his speech about lancing boils are the coolest minor character moments I've witnessed so far.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This gets compared to Dragon Age a lot so my comparison is that while this game has a better written story I still like Dragon Ages setting better. Also the normal people are written atrociously. Honestly if I lived in that world as Geralt I would see no reason to save it.

Sigi Dikjstra alone has more personality than the entire cast of dragon age combined. I would love to shake the hand of the person who wrote the dialogs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

2. He loses access to his chest after Book 4.

That does make it difficult to drink things, but what did his arms and legs attach to?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Sigi Dikjstra alone has more personality than the entire cast of dragon age combined. I would love to shake the hand of the person who wrote the dialogs.

Well, with the menopause and all...

The Lone Badger posted:

That does make it difficult to drink things, but what did his arms and legs attach to?

Dandelion.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

ENDING SPOILERS, DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDNhwraf6Fo

Cut dialogue. Apparently originally the Lodge amnesty was 100% confirmed as a sham. Yen screwed them. Somehow managed to get Triss out of it, but Philippa is a dead woman walking. Kind of weird she'd help Triss but not Margarita. Of course this is cut dialogue, so it can't really be viewed a official characterization. Still interesting.

That's absolutely fantastic. But yeah, isn't Rita literally one of her only friends? Or am I misremembering that? That seems weird. But still, don't gently caress with Yennefer or her family.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Rita is probably her closest surviving friend, yeah. She didn't betray her to the extent Triss did and actually had to be kept separate from Yennefer at the first Lodge meeting, presumably from fear she might help her. I guess they figured new players wouldn't give a poo poo about her fate, though?

Kinda funny Yennefer making sure Triss got out alive given what happened in the reverse situation, though.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

Rita is probably her closest surviving friend, yeah. She didn't betray her to the extent Triss did and actually had to be kept separate from Yennefer at the first Lodge meeting, presumably from fear she might help her. I guess they figured new players wouldn't give a poo poo about her fate, though?

Kinda funny Yennefer making sure Triss got out alive given what happened in the reverse situation, though.

They generally do a good job of making the characters act like they would in the books. It's a weird omission, but it was cut, so who knows.

I think having established characters helped them a lot with the writing compared to say, Dragon Age.

Though they did a great job since I'd actually say Geralt is actually better in W3 than in most of the books. Less whiny at least. They've kept Triss' naivety while actually giving her a bit of a backbone. Ciri remains awesome.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They did a good job with characters that were mostly defined by them as well, so I think putting it all down to the fact they're adapting book characters is doing them a disservice.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

They did a good job with characters that were mostly defined by them as well, so I think putting it all down to the fact they're adapting book characters is doing them a disservice.

That's true.

I do think the world is a bit more interesting than Dragon Age. It plays with fantasy cliches as much as it leans into them.

I wonder if we'll start getting a generation of better game writers soon. I think a lot of the current ones, especially at a place like Bioware, basically got their start as D&D nerds making campaigns. And while there have been some great games out of Bioware, Black Isle, Obsidian I think that heritage really shows. They are coming out of what is basically pure pulp and really want to be taken more seriously. Whereas Witcher seems much more assured of what it is.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I hope so.

I notice a lot of historical and literary references in these games. That might have something to do with it, maybe?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

I forgot about the delivery of the incredulous "No..."

World-weary lead characters can be dull at times, but it makes putting him into awkward situations even funnier. Wrangling him into doing painting and acting got great payoffs.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

I forgot about the delivery of the incredulous "No..."

World-weary lead characters can be dull at times, but it makes putting him into awkward situations even funnier. Wrangling him into doing painting and acting got great payoffs.

The part where Geralt has to pretend to be a bandit for Dandelion is so good. "More like the Crimson rear end in a top hat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Djikstra is probably my favorite character. He's really well done.