Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Invisible Handjob posted:

not going to argue with that. ouch.

thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Worst Muslim posted:

Do you have some old times disease or something? The Louisiana Rickets?

I once had a disease called Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Does that count?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

I once had a disease called Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Does that count?

yeah, and what's more I think it's so cool

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Worst Muslim posted:

Do you have some old times disease or something? The Louisiana Rickets?

That's not what rickets is. Are. That's not what rickets be. :colbert:

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Holy loving poo poo major explosions in Tianjin.

We need a Tianjin goon head count.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just woke up to like a million messages. It happened in Binhai New District 滨海新区 which is pretty far away from the center of the city. I would guess it is 20-30km away. My wife and I slept right through it. I've seen pictures of hospitals and the explosions on WeChat, looks crazy.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

goldboilermark posted:

I just woke up to like a million messages. It happened in Binhai New District 滨海新区 which is pretty far away from the center of the city. I would guess it is 20-30km away. My wife and I slept right through it. I've seen pictures of hospitals and the explosions on WeChat, looks crazy.

Good luck goon. Hopefully you're upwind.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Baddog posted:

Good luck goon. Hopefully you're upwind.

Same thought here. All those burning chemicals can't be good for your respiratory system.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jeek posted:

Same thought here. All those burning chemicals can't be good for your respiratory system.

Living in China is probably not good for your respiratory system :v:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
ATTENTION ALL GOONS BEERTIOPIA IN HK OCT 9 - 10.

EARLY BIRD SPECIAL

http://beerweek.hk/cart

I already bought 4 tickets just in case.

It's a Friday and saturday. Let's do this

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

caberham posted:

EARLY BIRD SPECIAL

****, I wish I could go!

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

caberham posted:

EARLY BIRD SPECIAL

Here here HERE :guinness:

I won't last more than one drink (so it will probably be more of a :rubshands:) but goonmeet is nice regardless. Which ticket should I get?

EDIT:

GreyPowerVan posted:

Living in China is probably not good for your respiratory system :v:
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger :colbert:

Jeek fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 16, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Are you free next Tuesday? Im trying to get Zakarello to come out as well

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

caberham posted:

Im trying to get Zakarello to come out as well

Lol everyone knows this is a Bad Idea

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

caberham posted:

Are you free next Tuesday? Im trying to get Zakarello to come out as well
As in 25 August? Sure.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
August 18, (tomorrow) 7pm Central MTR exit D1 surface side!

caberham fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 17, 2015

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

caberham posted:

August 18, (tomorrow) 7pm Central MTR exit D1 surface side!

Okay :dance:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Invisible Handjob posted:

you know I've never stayed at any hotel (fancy or otherwise) in china but I wonder do the nicer ones have hand soap available in the rooms or is it just cold water and luck like everywhere else?

i stayed in a ~100RMB/night place and it was more or less exactly like a Western place, except they had shower sandals too.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, anyone up for a meet up this Friday night in HK? Lots of out of towners and all are pouring in. We also have Korean VIP goon DontAskKant.

I'm thinking of moo moo club again, or ruby tuesday

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
Effort Post: Hua Shan.

So, Hua Shan is a large, beautiful mountain close to Xi'an, and definitely worth a visit if you come to Xi'an. It's loads better than the warriors.

Expect scenes like this:

This is ripped from my companies intranet, but I wrote a lot of it anyway, so meh.

What to bring

• Passport (to buy train ticket)
  • Cash: about 800 元 , but if you want to be on the safe side, bring about 1000 元
  • Warm clothes & gloves (it can be very cold in the mountain, but depends on the season)
  • Camera
  • Important: travel light! (as there is a lot of walking, climbing)
  • Food & water can be bought on top of mountain

Once there, there's a few options. It's best to discuss and decide what route to take with your travel buddies the day before, as it affects what tickets you will need to buy.

Mountain overview:
  • North peak: the lowest peak at 1,610m, has cable car station
  • South peak: the highest peak at 2,160m
  • East peak: at 2,090m
  • Central peak
  • West peak: at 2,086.6m, has cable car station

Because of the positions of the cable car stations in the peaks, there are a few options

Lazy route (my preferred route)
  • Cable car to North Peak
  • Walk around / climbing - lots of steps - beautiful trees, views
  • Visit all the peaks
  • Cable car down from West Peak

Active & traditional route
  • Shuttle bus to bottom base of mountain
  • Walk up (There's two routes, that can take between 3 and 5 hours)
  • Visit all the peaks
  • Stay overnight in a hostel on the mountain
  • Watch the sunrise from the East Peak

Optional Extras
How to get there

First you need to get to Xi'an Bei Zhan / 西安北站 (Xi'an North Station). The easiest way is by taxi, or Metro (ditie).

Then at the station, you need to purchase fast train (Gaotie) tickets for Hua Shan Bei / 华山北
  • Duration: about 30 - 40 mins depending on the speed of the train you are taking, only take G or D class trains
  • Price: about 60 - 90 元 depending on seat types, class. 2nd class is fine and costs 54 元.
  • Frequency: Probably every 30-40 minutes there will be a train leaving that goes through Hua Shan Bei.

Show this to the ticket saleperson
  • Your passport
  • To: Hua Shan Bei 华山北
  • Seat type: 2nd class 二等座
If you already bought ticket online, just need to show your passport

The ticket will look something like this:

You should buy tickets online 1-2 days before travelling date to avoid disappointment. If ticket is sold out, you might need to wait 1-2 hours for the next available train. Buying tickets online requires your name (as shown in passport) and passport number.

Travel time is about 35 minutes.

Travel to the 华山 visitor centre

Leaving the station, you'll immediately be met by a load of hopeful taxi drivers. Pick an honest looking fellow, and negotiate for 20 kuai in total, not per-person.
  • Cost: ~20 元
  • Travel time: 15-20 mins

At the station and at the visitor centre, some people might try to sell gloves to you at 2 元. If you didn't bring any, and it's cold, it's good to buy a pair as the chain to hold on to on the mountain can be cold to touch.

Visitor Centre

At the Visitor Centre, buy entrance ticket to the mountain and the bus ticket
  • Entrance to the Hua Shan: ~180 元
  • It's important to know which peak you want to go to, as bus to the North peak cable car station is different from bus going to the West peak station. (see above section and decide what to do on the mountain)
  • Cost: Bus to the North / West station is about 40 元

Then take the bus to the Cable car station

Here you can begin your walk to the top, or buy tickets. tickets are:
  • North peak: 80 元 oneway
  • West peak: 140 元 oneway

The return ticket is just double the price of oneway, so it's best to buy a oneway then decide later whether you want to return on the same peak or walk to a different peak.

On the mountain

If you walked to the top, CONGRATULATIONS! Take a well earned rest, have lunch, sink a few beers.

Otherwise, start your exploration of the peaks, walk around, take lots of pictures, and HAVE FUN

The cliff plank walk

There's an optional cliff plank walk, shown in nearly all the photos of Hua Shan. It costs 30 元 to rent a harness. Not for the faint-hearted.

Extra Advice
  • It's important to rest regularly: climb, find a place to sit down, eat, drink, repeat
  • Take a toilet break when there is clean toilet (i.e. at the cable car stations, visitor centre). On top of the mountain, the toilets are horrific.
  • Buy a walking stick
  • Don't walk down. It's murder on the knees.

Estimated Costs

Metro to station 3
2nd class ticket to Hua Shan Bei 65
Taxi to ticket office 20-30
Entrance Ticket 180
Bus ride to cable car 20
North Peak cable car 80
West Peak cable car 80
Return bus ride to visitor centre 30
Taxi back to station 20
Train back to Xi'an 65
Metro back to city 3

Snacks, Water, Lunch, etc. 50

You're probably looking at a minimum cost of 650 元. This can be reduced if you take a bus rather than the fast train, then walk up (and down) the mountain, carrying all your own food and water. I wouldn't recommend that.

I've done variations of walking up and down, taking the different cable cars up and down more than eight times now. My most relaxed recommendation is to buy 1st class train tickets, bring nothing but cash and a camera, cable car up (north peak), be amazed while walking around the peaks, take lots of photos, cable car down (west peak), then soak in the hot springs afterwards, returning to Xi'an the next day.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trammel posted:

Effort Post: Hua Shan.

So, Hua Shan is a large, beautiful mountain close to Xi'an, and definitely worth a visit if you come to Xi'an. It's loads better than the warriors.

Expect scenes like this:

This is ripped from my companies intranet, but I wrote a lot of it anyway, so meh.

What to bring

• Passport (to buy train ticket)
  • Cash: about 800 元 , but if you want to be on the safe side, bring about 1000 元
  • Warm clothes & gloves (it can be very cold in the mountain, but depends on the season)
  • Camera
  • Important: travel light! (as there is a lot of walking, climbing)
  • Food & water can be bought on top of mountain

Once there, there's a few options. It's best to discuss and decide what route to take with your travel buddies the day before, as it affects what tickets you will need to buy.

Mountain overview:
  • North peak: the lowest peak at 1,610m, has cable car station
  • South peak: the highest peak at 2,160m
  • East peak: at 2,090m
  • Central peak
  • West peak: at 2,086.6m, has cable car station

Because of the positions of the cable car stations in the peaks, there are a few options

Lazy route (my preferred route)
  • Cable car to North Peak
  • Visit all the peaks

Active & traditional route
  • Shuttle bus to bottom base of mountain
  • Walk up (There's two routes, that can take between 3 and 5 hours)
  • Visit all the peaks
  • Stay overnight in a hostel on the mountain
  • Watch the sunrise from the East Peak

Optional Extras
How to get there

First you need to get to Xi'an Bei Zhan / 西安北站 (Xi'an North Station). The easiest way is by taxi, or Metro (ditie).

Then at the station, you need to purchase fast train (Gaotie) tickets for Hua Shan Bei / 华山北
  • Duration: about 30 - 40 mins depending on the speed of the train you are taking, only take G or D class trains
  • Price: about 60 - 90 元 depending on seat types, class. 2nd class is fine and costs 54 元.
  • Frequency: Probably every 30-40 minutes there will be a train leaving that goes through Hua Shan Bei.

Show this to the ticket saleperson
  • Your passport
  • To: Hua Shan Bei 华山北
  • Seat type: 2nd class 二等座
If you already bought ticket online, just need to show your passport

The ticket will look something like this:

You should buy tickets online 1-2 days before travelling date to avoid disappointment. If ticket is sold out, you might need to wait 1-2 hours for the next available train. Buying tickets online requires your name (as shown in passport) and passport number.

Travel time is about 35 minutes.

Travel to the 华山 visitor centre

Leaving the station, you'll immediately be met by a load of hopeful taxi drivers. Pick an honest looking fellow, and negotiate for 20 kuai in total, not per-person.
  • Cost: ~20 元
  • Travel time: 15-20 mins

At the station and at the visitor centre, some people might try to sell gloves to you at 2 元. If you didn't bring any, and it's cold, it's good to buy a pair as the chain to hold on to on the mountain can be cold to touch.

Visitor Centre

At the Visitor Centre, buy entrance ticket to the mountain and the bus ticket
  • Entrance to the Hua Shan: ~180 元
  • It's important to know which peak you want to go to, as bus to the North peak cable car station is different from bus going to the West peak station. (see above section and decide what to do on the mountain)
  • Cost: Bus to the North / West station is about 40 元

Then take the bus to the Cable car station

Here you can begin your walk to the top, or buy tickets. tickets are:
  • North peak: 80 元 oneway
  • West peak: 140 元 oneway

The return ticket is just double the price of oneway, so it's best to buy a oneway then decide later whether you want to return on the same peak or walk to a different peak.

On the mountain

If you walked to the top, CONGRATULATIONS! Take a well earned rest, have lunch, sink a few beers.

Otherwise, start your exploration of the peaks, walk around, take lots of pictures, and HAVE FUN

The cliff plank walk

There's an optional cliff plank walk, shown in nearly all the photos of Hua Shan. It costs 30 元 to rent a harness. Not for the faint-hearted.

Extra Advice
  • It's important to rest regularly: climb, find a place to sit down, eat, drink, repeat
  • Take a toilet break when there is clean toilet (i.e. at the cable car stations, visitor centre). On top of the mountain, the toilets are horrific.
  • Buy a walking stick
  • Don't walk down. It's murder on the knees.

Estimated Costs

Metro to station 3
2nd class ticket to Hua Shan Bei 65
Taxi to ticket office 20-30
Entrance Ticket 180
Bus ride to cable car 20
North Peak cable car 80
West Peak cable car 80
Return bus ride to visitor centre 30
Taxi back to station 20
Train back to Xi'an 65
Metro back to city 3

Snacks, Water, Lunch, etc. 50

You're probably looking at a minimum cost of 650 元. This can be reduced if you take a bus rather than the fast train, then walk up (and down) the mountain, carrying all your own food and water. I wouldn't recommend that.

I've done variations of walking up and down, taking the different cable cars up and down more than eight times now. My most relaxed recommendation is to buy 1st class train tickets, bring nothing but cash and a camera, cable car up (north peak), be amazed while walking around the peaks, take lots of photos, cable car down (west peak), then soak in the hot springs afterwards, returning to Xi'an the next day.

I don't care about this.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i do. post more of them

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caberham posted:

Hey goons, anyone up for a meet up this Friday night in HK? Lots of out of towners and all are pouring in. We also have Korean VIP goon DontAskKant.

I'm thinking of moo moo club again, or ruby tuesday

I'm in

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't care about this.

This isn't the rude shitposting china thread :argh:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Leaving for China tomorrow, only for two weeks.

My chinese host insists I can connect with my US android phone through wireless. I'm only going to be using whatsapp to text my family and friends to tell them I'm alive. Should I not anticipate that happening?

I'll just have her use her working phone to do it if I can't. No sense in picking up a phone.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Moneyball posted:

Leaving for China tomorrow, only for two weeks.

My chinese host insists I can connect with my US android phone through wireless. I'm only going to be using whatsapp to text my family and friends to tell them I'm alive. Should I not anticipate that happening?

I'll just have her use her working phone to do it if I can't. No sense in picking up a phone.

Get a VPN. Take no risks. While WhatsApp or Skype may work one day, you never know when the government's gonna ban something.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Get a local sim at the airport, cause you're not getting on most public wireless without a local number.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah just get prepaid. Costs next to nothing.

Solo
Mar 25, 2003
Funny text here
Hey China goons!

So I recently got a job that will almost certainly relocate me to HK from London some time over the next 3-4 months, provided all goes as planned. Been following this thread since they started talking about it, so I figured I'd say hello to you all.

Never been outside Europe, so this is going to be a big step for me, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Literally have no idea what I'm getting myself into, but that's supposed to be part of the fun, right? Now, they're shipping my partner with me, fortunately, but from what I've read on the internet, it's pretty hard getting a work permit without having a job to sponsor you. Obviously I'm sorted for this, but I'm guessing she's going to struggle?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Just get married. Then she'll have a dependent visa and getting a job in HK will be incredibly easy. Native English speaker without needing to sponsor a visa? Yes please!

Solo
Mar 25, 2003
Funny text here
Will getting married after we get there be a bad idea? Or does it not matter, from a Visa perspective?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Married first, then visa. Doing the paperwork in your home country should be easier.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Next question because I'm new to international travel.

My itinerary was initially Delta flight from Boston to Detroit, international Delta flight to Beijing, and then China Southern to Qingdao

They changed it to Boston to LA, to Seattle, to Beijing and now I arrive an hour after my connecting China Southern flight.

Am I hosed now since they're separate airlines, or will China Southern just put me on a later flight?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Solo posted:

Will getting married after we get there be a bad idea? Or does it not matter, from a Visa perspective?

Married first. It's by no means impossible to update visas and things as circumstances change, but why would you want to jump through hoops twice at the immigration office?

Also you probably want to get married somewhere near your friends and family.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

My itinerary was initially Delta flight from Boston to Detroit, international Delta flight to Beijing, and then China Southern to Qingdao

They changed it to Boston to LA, to Seattle, to Beijing and now I arrive an hour after my connecting China Southern flight.

Am I hosed now since they're separate airlines, or will China Southern just put me on a later flight?

There has got to be an air travel thread, which is a better place for this, but just off the top of my head you should talk to whoever handled the booking. Expedia, etc

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Did you book it as one package? Delta and China Southern are both Skyteam, so they should be good about making sure your connection works. Where did you book it through?

Also re-VPN-if you really need:

Any Google service (Gmail, Play Store, etc...)
Dropbox
To watch stuff on Youtube
To use Facebook or Twitter

I guess get one.

Otherwise for 2 weeks I wouldn't really bother. Just make sure you have all the apps you need. I'd suggest picking up another map app before you come since Google maps doesn't work here/is really bad anyway. Baidu seems to be the best.

I've used multiple American Android phones in China so that's not any issue (besides the multitudes of functionality blocked w/ google being blocked)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If they're separate bookings, you'll need to rebook the China leg. You can ask for advice in the TT cheap airfare thread, but non-partnered airlines don't give a gently caress about schedule changes outside their own network.

Third-party sites like Expedia also don't really care.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
When did Dropbox get blocked? It still worked when I left last year.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

peanut posted:

If they're separate bookings, you'll need to rebook the China leg. You can ask for advice in the TT cheap airfare thread, but non-partnered airlines don't give a gently caress about schedule changes outside their own network.

Third-party sites like Expedia also don't really care.

Hurrah...

Best way to get from Beijing to Qingdao? Flight or bus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VideoTapir posted:

When did Dropbox get blocked? It still worked when I left last year.

It's been blocked as long as I've been here, so at least a year. Maybe a little less since I wasn't using it the day I landed or anything.