Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bubble football is both not that fun, and the most exhausting sport I've ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Bogan Krkic posted:

Bubble football is both not that fun, and the most exhausting sport I've ever done

This was the other thing previously suggested - http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/xtreme-soccer-ltd-head-office-18

But it was decided the zorb football would be less likely to result in injuries

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Binocular foot sounds alright because you can still bust out the sick tricks, bubble foot just turns into dodgem cars with a ball. We played that for like 30 min and then played without the bubbles for an hour after instead

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
If your team doesn't do soccer volleyball drills to warm up with then I don't know what to tell you, you are making a mockery of God's chosen game

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Our warm ups consist of just drilling it at the keeper over and over, but all we ever played in school was soccer tennis/volleyball

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I can't remember the last time I warmed up for a game. I usually stand around, talk my teammates and then just go

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Depending on the league and day of the week it's either "run, stretch, pass, juggle shoot" or "drink a can of Ranier Beer"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

pangstrom posted:

I was going to recommend the foam rolling thing too but just in a "might as well give it a shot" sense, sounds like the doctors are at a loss and I don't know anything they don't. There isn't much too it, you just put your leg on a stiffer version of a pool noodle (or a ball sometimes), put some weight on it, and roll over it so it smushes the muscles up and down. Hope you feel better and be careful with any opiates!

I'm definitely going to try it out, like I said, my deep compartment is still compartmentalized and everything so it should help out. I went and got a deep tissue massage on them and they said that it would be good to do. Just got to wait for the day.

Bovril Delight posted:

I've been there. I don't talk about it a lot, but I had some serious issues with my knee from the Army. My knee was the side of a cantaloupe and I was hospitalized for a week. I was basically told to take 2 weeks leave and it'll get better. Of course that did nothing, and I came back to get thrust back in right off the bat.

See a civilian doctor. You're going to pay for it of course, but it is absolutely worth it in the long run for your health. I lost a ton of range of motion in my knee and the Army basically threw up their hands and said "We have no idea!" but a civilian doctor gave a plausible idea what had happened (brown recluse bite that was not treated) and that it ate into knee ligaments. Considered the hole in my knee and the dying flesh, it seems likely enough.

In the end I was medically discharged (honorable discharge) but if I hadn't presented what I found out from a civilian doctor I would have likely been chaptered out on a general discharge.

Never knew about this with you. That poo poo is super sketchy but totally Army like. Glad you got out and everything especially with medical retirement. It's something I'm working with too, trying to anyways. The difference right now is I have medical documents backing up for physical and behavioral health. Luckily my command understands and is trying to help, not taking things too hard.

Your command though, holy poo poo. I would have lost my goddamn mind. How bad did you lose movement and everything? Brown Recluse got you in the field or barracks? I know I shouldn't have to ask, but it is the Army, and I've lived in some sketchy places.

Vinestalk posted:

Foam rollers are pretty good, but I've found that they're really only a supplementary exercise used to compliment other means of treatment. If there's a lot of issues with IT bands, hamstrings, groin muscles, and the achilles, then a foam roller is going to be great in alleviating tension and providing more flexibility to do other things (which can be correcting basic mechanics, improving stability, and other associated treatments). But the most important thing is always going to be knowing the underlying issues for whatever is causing the discomfort and treating them in a measured approach.

My recommendation is to just take it easy. After my bouts with chronic injuries, I just came to the conclusion that I'd rather get fully fit and prevent long-term serious damage further down the road. I did a lot of dumb stuff playing injured and I certainly paid for it.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to give it a go, and I'm hoping it helps a bit more. Like I said it's rough just trying to get something going in terms of exercise. Walks are ok for a bit, but bikes, elliptical, and stair steppers cause that calf to start to get worked and hurt. The thing that causes concern is when I flex my foot skyward I lose my pulse in my foot.

I also came to that conclusion as well. Played a lot of pick up games and stuff after I originally healed and I noticed it caused me to hurt for about a week, which sucked but after that I realized the same thing. Better to not exacerbate the problem.

The Big Taff Man posted:

I liked better when people were posting about playing actual football and doing celebrations when they score in 5 a side than this becoming all about Soulexs injuries

Dude seriously? Quit being a oval office.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Maybe you should gently caress off out of this thread for the moment then and come back when the posting is more to your taste.

Soulex, I'm going to second the advice to find a second / third / etc opinion, from whoever you can. While there's any inconclusive results, there's going to only be good come from more eyes on the issue. Keep your head up and keep pushing for a result, something will come of it eventually.

I'm going to ask around and see what I can do for a second/third opinion. Money is tight but I'll see how much things are gonna cost. My wife and I are fairly close to eliminating debt (minus mortgage/car) and we're saving up for our inevitable move. I'm being tenacious though, I'm not going to take anything like this lying down, and keep trying to options up so that something will eventually happen. Sucks but I'm gonna keep going.

Thanks everyone. The support means a lot.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The Big Taff Man posted:

I liked better when people were posting about playing actual football and doing celebrations when they score in 5 a side than this becoming all about Soulexs injuries
Get tae

Soulex posted:

I'm going to ask around and see what I can do for a second/third opinion. Money is tight but I'll see how much things are gonna cost. My wife and I are fairly close to eliminating debt (minus mortgage/car) and we're saving up for our inevitable move. I'm being tenacious though, I'm not going to take anything like this lying down, and keep trying to options up so that something will eventually happen. Sucks but I'm gonna keep going.

Thanks everyone. The support means a lot.
Your problems are extremely gross and I hope you can find someone who can sort them out.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

The Big Taff Man posted:

Much like Manchester United, this post sucks and will suck for a long time

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Ungratek posted:

I can't remember the last time I warmed up for a game. I usually stand around, talk my teammates and then just go
People should definitely warm up if they care at all about their knees and poo poo. Here's a study that shows an 88% reduction in ACL injuries through a 20 minute warm up. Granted the study was on competitive female soccer players who are probably playing at a higher intensity level than most of us in the beer leagues which increases their risk level, but on the other hand they're not old, fat and out of shape like 90% of us are which increases our risk level.

Also re: pre-game drills, I hate it when my team just rips shots at the keeper which like everyone does. I try to run the simplest pass-and-shoot drill ever but it never works and we always just devolve into ripping shots at the keeper anyway. OH WELL

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Female soccer players blow more ACLs than Male soccer players. They gain 10 lbs and their bodies can't handle the stress and they just start blowing things left and right.

I mean this in every sense.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mushi posted:

Granted the study was on competitive female soccer players who are probably playing at a higher intensity level than most of us in the beer leagues which increases their risk level

14-18 year old girls. Seems unlikely.

Women are more genetically predisposed to ACL injuries because their hips are set wider than their knees to ease in the popping out of babies.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 3, 2015

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

20 minute warm up, loving hell. I'm not showing up that early to a game

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I walk like 1km from the office to the pitch, that's more than enough warmup imho

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Do you guys never play away games?

We play in the lowest level of Dutch amateur football but it's still pretty well (centrally) organized.

Our football pyramid is pretty strange anyway. It's divided in a few different ways:

Type:
- Professional (Eredivisie and Eerste Divisie)
- Standard amateur (first teams of amateur clubs, promotion to professional level is optional)
- Reserve amateur (all other teams)

Saturday/Sunday:
Because catholics traditionally play on Sunday and protestants play on Saturday, we have two entirely separate pyramids.

Regional:
The highest amateur tier (Topklasse) plays nationally, with a final between the Saturday and Sunday champions to decide the overall amateur champions.
The second tier (Hoofdklasse) is divided into North/East, West and South
The rest of the pyramid (about 5 more tiers) is divided into six official districts, but in practice there is often a handful of groups per district so they are informally split into sub-districts.

The reserve amateur system has another six or so tiers with loads of regional groups. This ranges from quite competitive (first 3 tiers) to recreational.

Note that 'amateur' players in the Topklasse can easily earn more than Eerste Divisie pros, but it's often off the books.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I just play futsal at the local futsal place ftw

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Bogan Krkic posted:

I just play futsal at the local futsal place ftw

It took me a while after moving to another state to find an indoor league and I'm coming to the tail end of my first session in a league that uses a futsal ball on a smaller turf field.

It's much easier to take first touches, but I miss the ability to easily chip and make short distance passes through the air. That little bit of deadness to the futsal ball is hard to adjust to.

Fortunately half of our team is switching to a place that's much nicer and has full-sized indoor fields.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

It took me a while after moving to another state to find an indoor league and I'm coming to the tail end of my first session in a league that uses a futsal ball on a smaller turf field.

It's much easier to take first touches, but I miss the ability to easily chip and make short distance passes through the air. That little bit of deadness to the futsal ball is hard to adjust to.

Fortunately half of our team is switching to a place that's much nicer and has full-sized indoor fields.

Gotta master scooping the ball to play balls in the air my man.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
my indoor place has that flat carpet turf where a rug burn will leave a mark for 1-2 months, fuckin hate it

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I play five a side and we sometimes enter tournaments organized by the manager of the five a side place, so I almost always play in the same place.

Those tournaments are tough and we usually get destroyed but it's good fun competition and not as violent as other tournaments I've been on (when there are cash prices people turn ugly as gently caress).

Amateur leagues here are not really 'fat nerd" level, they're still tough to get into and away games are brutal sometimes because of having to travel 6 hours by bus to get to the middle of the jungle.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
alright lads, my 7v7 coed season is starting soon. any tips on formation? where should i put the best/worst players?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Geno posted:

alright lads, my 7v7 coed season is starting soon. any tips on formation? where should i put the best/worst players?

let everyone have a go at playing up front and also at defending because it's a coed 7s league and everyone is going to be poo poo and still want to have a go at being messi

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Messyass posted:

Do you guys never play away games?

We play in the lowest level of Dutch amateur football but it's still pretty well (centrally) organized.

Our football pyramid is pretty strange anyway. It's divided in a few different ways:

Type:
- Professional (Eredivisie and Eerste Divisie)
- Standard amateur (first teams of amateur clubs, promotion to professional level is optional)
- Reserve amateur (all other teams)

Saturday/Sunday:
Because catholics traditionally play on Sunday and protestants play on Saturday, we have two entirely separate pyramids.

Regional:
The highest amateur tier (Topklasse) plays nationally, with a final between the Saturday and Sunday champions to decide the overall amateur champions.
The second tier (Hoofdklasse) is divided into North/East, West and South
The rest of the pyramid (about 5 more tiers) is divided into six official districts, but in practice there is often a handful of groups per district so they are informally split into sub-districts.

The reserve amateur system has another six or so tiers with loads of regional groups. This ranges from quite competitive (first 3 tiers) to recreational.

Note that 'amateur' players in the Topklasse can easily earn more than Eerste Divisie pros, but it's often off the books.

I play regular outdoor in the illustrious Australian 9th division. Last week we got mathematically eliminated from a top 4 position and tomorrow we play the bottom side so our coach has basically lost his poo poo and is playing himself as a sole centre forward.

Its gonna be the bees tits

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

let everyone have a go at playing up front and also at defending because it's a coed 7s league and everyone is going to be poo poo and still want to have a go at being messi

Absolutely this. If you've got people who don't play often/at all the best advice is to tell them to always play the way they're facing. You'll give the ball away a fraction of the time and it shows new players especially that they don't need to constantly attack.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Tongues posted:

Absolutely this. If you've got people who don't play often/at all the best advice is to tell them to always play the way they're facing. You'll give the ball away a fraction of the time and it shows new players especially that they don't need to constantly attack.

Good god this. I'll sub for teams that have no idea you can pass sideways or, get this..
..backwards and its good

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

That's bad, but I find "not compressing the field on defense" to be worse. You don't have to man mark, just don't let them play right through you

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I just played two full games at centre back, once with the reserves and immediately again in the seniors. The coach was like, Yeah mate come on out and play, they've got like 9 players and are sitting on the bottom of the table. At half time they switched and bought on a bunch of players from their senior side, which plays a full 4 divisions higher the cunts.

Both of our lovely sides missed the finals by a point.

Smashed them 6-1 :smuggo:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Pub Football Season began today and I already injured myself, sign me up Wengy!

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
fall season starts this weekend and i still can't hop on my ankle that i sprained 2.5 weeks ago. :flaccid:

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Time for another post in the playing soccer thread. Which means it's about an injury, of course.

Tripped over a ball last week in 7's and it stuck to the bottom of my brand new quasi-blade turf shoes. Rolled my left leg which popped, and now I've got my first bad knee injury.

It doesn't hurt as bad as I thought it would and that seems like a good sign. It's definitely messed up, doc was pretty sure it's a bad meniscus tear. My leg won't extend or retract, which is a telltale sign. MRI on friday and I'm hoping that's the extent of it.

Turf shoes - not even once!! Studs forever.

TasmanianX fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 9, 2015

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting at a new place in October and it allows studs, I've always played on field-turf with turf shoes and been fine. Should I be wearing my outdoor shoes? I really like my turf shoes, but if it's worth it, I'd switch.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
I've been ok with "all the same stud type" turf shoes.

Was NOT ok with these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ01A4K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

For some reason I thought the bottom would work well for me. Was wrong.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

TasmanianX posted:

I've been ok with "all the same stud type" turf shoes.

Was NOT ok with these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ01A4K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

For some reason I thought the bottom would work well for me. Was wrong.

those are painfully ugly

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Played my first organized game after a prolonged stint of physical therapy and it felt great. Definitely the best I've played in years. Playing pick up was a big help as well, it was nice to acclimate at an easy pace. I was real dumb to just keep playing while I was injured, but there was no way I could have afforded the cost of pt before I started.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Vinestalk posted:

My recommendation is to just take it easy. After my bouts with chronic injuries, I just came to the conclusion that I'd rather get fully fit and prevent long-term serious damage further down the road. I did a lot of dumb stuff playing injured and I certainly paid for it.
re: plantar fasciitis yeah I'm taking this approach. I played like another week and realized I was dumb. So I'm just sitting out for the foreseeable future. I saw something along the lines of an overuse injury progression. Plus another guy who I play pickup with saying he had a heel spur (apparently related to plantar fasciitis) and he always says he's playing "goalie" with small goals yet 5 minutes in he'd be making full runs. I realized I was rationalizing playing the same way too, while thinking he was an idiot for not being able to take a few weeks off.

Soooo I'm just going to take a few months off and cycle/swim and get shoes that aren't complete poo poo for arch support when it feels better. For what it's worth, if anyone else is concerned about it or want an indoor boot that is comfy and has a removeable insole that you can replace with an orthotic insole, I'm waiting on some Joma top flex boots to come in.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

TasmanianX posted:

Rolled my left leg which popped, and now I've got my first bad knee injury.

My leg won't extend or retract, which is a telltale sign. MRI on friday and I'm hoping that's the extent of it.

For pete's sake. I got the results back from the MRI yesterday and it was an acl tear. Son of a bitch.

TasmanianX fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 15, 2015

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's awful news, sorry to hear that.

The league I'm in that uses small fields and futsal balls is over and I've completed my big money transfer to a larger and more modern sportsplex, season starts in October.

It's not about the money, though. It's about ambition for silverware.

Also it's right near my office so I can go to games right after work.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

mushi posted:

Soooo I'm just going to take a few months off and cycle/swim and get shoes that aren't complete poo poo for arch support when it feels better. For what it's worth, if anyone else is concerned about it or want an indoor boot that is comfy and has a removeable insole that you can replace with an orthotic insole, I'm waiting on some Joma top flex boots to come in.

Good stuff, man. Future you will be very happy in November/December.

TasmanianX posted:

For pete's sake. I got the results back from the MRI yesterday and it was an acl tear. Son of a bitch.

Condolences. The real important thing is that there's no way to speed up ACL recovery. It's long, it's real boring, and PT will become a chore (both the home stuff and the visits). But it's all really crucial stuff. If you get back to moving too soon, you'll feel fine right up until your leg just gives out for seemingly no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Vinestalk posted:

If you get back to moving too soon, you'll feel fine right up until your leg just gives out for seemingly no reason.

lol this, times infinity. Tbh it's like 3 or 4 years on from my ACL surgery and my knee is only just getting to 90% I reckon