Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Noooo, who will take the side of the CDU in this thread then?

me! ME! MEEE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX6t9scZwW8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
In all seriousness, once Merkel retires the Union pretty much has to go with von der Leyen because there is literally no one else. And that is kinda terrifying.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cingulate posted:

Millions of people read BILD for information. If you point fingers and laugh at BILD readers, you're deriding millions of people. Now to you, this may not seem inherently bad. To me, it inherently is - bad.

Nah. Embrace the fact that people are terrible and just point and laugh. :smugpickelhaube:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

ArchangeI posted:

In all seriousness, once Merkel retires the Union pretty much has to go with von der Leyen because there is literally no one else. And that is kinda terrifying.

I think that's great. Why should the US get to have all the fun with Trump?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

If Merkel is Mutti, will Zensursula be Stiefmutti?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Christ, I had forgotten all about Zensursula.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cingulate posted:

See?

Millions of people read BILD for information. If you point fingers and laugh at BILD readers, you're deriding millions of people. Now to you, this may not seem inherently bad. To me, it inherently is - bad.

Thing is justified because millions do it, got it. Also, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the swath of lovely TV RTL and the like produce, because they more or less justify it the same way BILD justifies their poo poo.

quote:

I also do very generally think the poor deserve leniency, or rather, the privileged deserve much more scrutiny. There's plenty of stuff to kick up against. Kai Diekmann is much more of a hate-worthy target than literal laid-off former construction workers who kinda semi-secretly don't like arabs (because capitalism requires them to hate arabs or the whole thing would come apart).

This all is hella condescending towards the poor. I guess they just cannot be trusted to handle anything more challenging than stories about car crashing grannies and boobs on page three.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

Thing is justified because millions do it, got it.
How'd you get that from what I wrote? Because that is, clearly, not what I said. The rest of your post is like that, too - you're going out of your way to make as unfair of a representation of what I wrote as you can.

Much like BILD :colbert:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cingulate posted:

How'd you get that from what I wrote? Because that is, clearly, not what I said. The rest of your post is like that, too - you're going out of your way to make as unfair of a representation of what I wrote as you can.

Much like BILD :colbert:

You said it's inherently bad to laugh at people who read BILD for information because there are millions who do that, correct?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

You said it's inherently bad to laugh at people who read BILD for information because there are millions who do that, correct?
Well to be precise I said point and laugh, by which I meant, to do so in public. If you just sit at home and silently gloat, that's still pretty off IMO, but it's different. Otherwise, yes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cingulate posted:

Well to be precise I said point and laugh, by which I meant, to do so in public. If you just sit at home and silently gloat, that's still pretty off IMO, but it's different. Otherwise, yes.

Well, what does the size of the group have to do with anything? Would it be okay to point and laugh if only a hundred people read BILD for information, or a billion people?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

Well, what does the size of the group have to do with anything?
A rather odd question. Off hand, I can't quite come up with an example where something that is bad doesn't become worse when it becomes multiplied.

The other side to this is: what do we care about? What, politically, is important to us? Democracy in itself? Free speech as a beautiful idea? Anti-racism because it is philosophically elegant? No, we want these because we hope it will improve the lot of the many. So the welfare of the many is always the end goal. Thus, anybody who puts something like journalistic aesthetics over his empathy for the masses is suspect.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Cingulate posted:

A rather odd question. Off hand, I can't quite come up with an example where something that is bad doesn't become worse when it becomes multiplied.
So what the gently caress was this about?

Cingulate posted:

Millions of people read BILD for information. If you point fingers and laugh at BILD readers, you're deriding millions of people.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea what you're going for. You quote me 1. with an admission of ignorance, 2. a tautology. I can literally not imagine anything less objectionable.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cingulate posted:

No, we want these because we hope it will improve the lot of the many. So the welfare of the many is always the end goal. Thus, anybody who puts something like journalistic aesthetics over his empathy for the masses is suspect.

Please explain how reading BILD improves poo poo for the masses, beyond a rather shallow fulfillment of the basest need for entertainment that could just as filled with anything else.

Cingulate posted:

So you say laughing about people for reading BILD for information is bad because there are many people who read BILD for information, and then fail to explain why that's relevant.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

Please explain how reading BILD improves poo poo for the masses
That's a total non sequitur.
Why are you so weirdly confused in your argument, just throwing random stuff at me without sense or reason?

Grendels Dad posted:

So you say laughing about people for reading BILD for information is bad because there are many people who read BILD for information, and then fail to explain why that's relevant.
I say insulting millions is bad, because these millions are the ends on which all our means should be measured.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cingulate posted:

That's a total non sequitur.
Why are you so weirdly confused in your argument, just throwing random stuff at me without sense or reason?
I say insulting millions is bad, because these millions are the ends on which all our means should be measured.

I might be confused because you are making increasingly ornamental non-statements about how reading BILD is a justifiable thing.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

I might be confused because you are making increasingly ornamental non-statements about how reading BILD is a justifiable thing.
I haven't said anything about that at all.

I'm talking about you. I think what you are doing is not justified.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

At this point you're either trolling or instantly forgetting the content of the posts you make seconds after posting them.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Or you people can't read. Cingulate made a really simple statement - that laughing at the BILD readership is bad because you're laughing at predominantly undereducated working class people who are consciously being misled and manipulated by rich assholes like Diekmann. The people you should be angry at are not the ones who read BILD but the ones who write BILD. That's not really difficult to understand and a classical leftist argument, as is the idea that any time you find yourself laughing at millions of ordinary people you're being an elitist rear end in a top hat.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

any time you find yourself laughing at millions of ordinary people you're being an elitist rear end in a top hat.
Well I guess not literally any. I imagine a polish Jew joking about the invading German army.

I also have this persistent bias where I assume everyone is like me - middle class background, well educated - a position from which it'd be elitist assholery. Of course there are people, even in this thread, who have a very different background and for whom my whole line of reasoning would be inapplicable.

Schurik posted:

At this point you're either trolling or instantly forgetting the content of the posts you make seconds after posting them.
The problem is you somehow mentally translate precise statements I make into statements that are not entirely unlike what I actually wrote. E.g. going from "you laughing at underprivileged masses from a position of privilege is distasteful" to "generally, everything done by a group which also includes poor people is correct".

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 4, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

I have no idea what your problem is. Here in Munich we have a mass market newspaper(Abendzeitung), that's not populist, doesn't lie or makes poo poo up.

HERE IN MÜNCHEN, WHERE THERE ARE NO SAUPREISSEN WITH THEIR LUEGENPRESSE AND THE BROWN PEOPLE STAY OUTSIDE THE GOD drat CITY MIA SAN MIA

:->

Dude, in Südbayern the Haupschüler take their shoes off before entering the classroom and they do Graffiti with CHALK. I am not even kidding.
You just don't have anything like the problems the people reading Bild in NRW have. Trust me, I have lived in both places. poo poo ain't comparable.

botany posted:

Or you people can't read. Cingulate made a really simple statement - that laughing at the BILD readership is bad because you're laughing at predominantly undereducated working class people who are consciously being misled and manipulated by rich assholes like Diekmann. The people you should be angry at are not the ones who read BILD but the ones who write BILD. That's not really difficult to understand and a classical leftist argument, as is the idea that any time you find yourself laughing at millions of ordinary people you're being an elitist rear end in a top hat.

Or, from a non leftist but oldschool Benjamin Franklin style perspective:
You should not be LAUGHING at people, especially not millions, especially if they are less priviledged wrt eduction.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 5, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Boner Slam posted:

You should not be LAUGHING at people, especially not millions, especially if they are less priviledged wrt eduction.
I agree, but by rights, with that attitude we never should have paid :10bux: for these accounts :v:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Boner Slam posted:

Dude, in Südbayern the Haupschüler take their shoes off before entering the classroom and they do Graffiti with CHALK. I am not even kidding.

Reminds me of the time I was going down the stairs to a Netto in Munich, and this professional drinker hits me up for a Euro, and I look at him, and he's drinking beer from a wheat beer glass. Hate to play the "you're not poor if..." card but you're not poor if you own a wheat beer glass.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

botany posted:

Cingulate posted:

I also have this persistent bias where I assume everyone is like me - middle class background, well educated - a position from which it'd be elitist assholery. Of course there are people, even in this thread, who have a very different background and for whom my whole line of reasoning would be inapplicable.
The problem is you somehow mentally translate precise statements I make into statements that are not entirely unlike what I actually wrote. E.g. going from "you laughing at underprivileged masses from a position of privilege is distasteful" to "generally, everything done by a group which also includes poor people is correct".

I don't have a problem with laughing at idiots who may or may not be poorer than you as long as you support a better education/better social support/whatever. Terrible people can get called out no matter why they are terrible, at the same time as recognising that we should help make people less terrible.

By the way, while BILD readers are less educated on average, more than a quarter are Gymnasiasten or went to university, so it's not like "lol Bildleser" automatically means "lol dumb poors".

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

blowfish posted:

Gymnasiasten or went to university

whole lot of stupid people in those two institutions

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

I don't have a problem with laughing at idiots who may or may not be poorer than you as long as you support a better education/better social support/whatever. Terrible people can get called out no matter why they are terrible, at the same time as recognising that we should help make people less terrible.
This in some way strikes me as even more tasteless - I laugh at you for being unlike me while hoping that you will become like me.

Okay I guess to some my position will feel condescending - by being indefinitely apologetic for group X, I am not taking them serious as adult individuals.

This is, I claim, no easy environment to maneuver in. But what is certainly wrong is gloating at the many from a position of privilege.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

niethan posted:

whole lot of stupid people in those two institutions

Yeah, but it's not "lol dumb poors" but "lol idiots who wasted their education".

Cingulate posted:

This in some way strikes me as even more tasteless - I laugh at you for being unlike me while hoping that you will become like me.

Okay I guess to some my position will feel condescending - by being indefinitely apologetic for group X, I am not taking them serious as adult individuals.

This is, I claim, no easy environment to maneuver in. But what is certainly wrong is gloating at the many from a position of privilege.

When choosing between mocking people and not mocking people, I'm always pro-mocking.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 5, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

blowfish posted:

Yeah, but it's not "lol dumb poors" but "lol idiots who wasted their education".

When choosing between mocking people and not mocking people, I'm always pro-mocking.

Mocking people who have no control over what they are being mocked for is wrong. Thankfully, no one is forced to read BILD.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Mocking people who have no control over what they are being mocked for is wrong. Thankfully, no one is forced to read BILD.

Well yeah mocking disabled people is not the same as mocking BILD readers. Though on the other hand, the latter might be classed as a mental disability :v:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Boner Slam posted:

You just don't have anything like the problems the people reading Bild in NRW have. Trust me, I have lived in both places. poo poo ain't comparable.

Not in the cities, they don't. In the city graffiti is made from the finest car paint and shoes are worn at all times. And what
does that have to do with anything? Bild made up a story about EMT's having to wear bodyarmor at refugee camps because they get stabbed and shot there all the time. Is the making-up of news stories somehow fundamental to their business model?

blowfish posted:

When you have two very different individuals with very different starting points and possible pathways through life, it makes no sense to compare absolute outcomes. :eng101:

Also, yeah. All mocking, all the time. :hulkhogandancingWTC:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArchangeI posted:

Nobody is free to do anything. There is no free will.

blowfish posted:

Well yeah mocking disabled people is not the same as mocking BILD readers. Though on the other hand, the latter might be classed as a mental disability :v:
Always mock up, never mock down.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Cingulate posted:

Always mock up, never mock down.

Easy for you to say, what with no-one below you

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seine Springerstiefel sehnen sich nach Zärtlichkeit. Aber ihm fehlt der Drei-Tage-Bart.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I feel like a guy with the first name of "Janus" should reconsider going into politics, but then again it's NPD so the joke will likely be lost on the voters.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Nobody is free to do anything. There is no free will.

Well I didn't decide to mock BILD-readers, then. I just do, and you have to accept it. Why are we discussing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

Not in the cities, they don't. In the city graffiti is made from the finest car paint and shoes are worn at all times. And what
does that have to do with anything? Bild made up a story about EMT's having to wear bodyarmor at refugee camps because they get stabbed and shot there all the time. Is the making-up of news stories somehow fundamental to their business model?
It is so comically idyllic in South Bavaria that the teenagers trying to be "Gangster" don't even know how.

What I am saying is: Strategically deposit ALL refugess from ALL countries into South-Bavarian towns. Then they also have some poors to worry about. You know, as a repayment for all the money they sucked out of NRW to enable them their idyllic yet decadent lifestyle.