Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

midnightclimax posted:

Is that bad? Because I agree with her. Unless they start working on policies, all that remains is a Tumblr hashtag fad. Um.

That's what lip service is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

midnightclimax posted:

Is that bad? Because I agree with her. Unless they start working on policies, all that remains is a Tumblr hashtag fad. Um.

The point of BLM is to bring attention and force to the issue of discrimination and the oft wanton murder of black people by police with impunity. A politician's job is to take that awareness and craft legislation in the hopes of solving it. "Hey sorry you guys don't have law degrees or the money to write our legislation for us like lobbyists usually do" is how it comes off.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Who needs South Carolina anyway

quote:

Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry has shuttered his South Carolina campaign headquarters in the capital city of Columbia, his state chairman Katon Dawson confirmed Tuesday

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/08/politics/rick-perry-south-carolina-headquarters-closed/index.html

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I liked this moment that seemed like accidental honesty...

Stephen: "How many of us when we get excited about things just go 'Jeb!'"

Jeb: "Well in Florida they do, when they see me. Most of them. Either out of happiness or uh, deep anger."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hodgepodge posted:

If there's one thing that could have made this really kill her, it would be trying to clamp down on it. Also, you have a really short memory or something when it comes to the Republicans going after Clintons.

Getting republicans to shut up about it would be impossible I agree but my point was now this is something that is in the public consciousness including Hillary's fumbling response to it at the beginning. An apology and handing over the server at the get go would have reduced whatever damage the whole "scandal" has caused to her image.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

Neeksy posted:

The point of BLM is to bring attention and force to the issue of discrimination and the oft wanton murder of black people by police with impunity. A politician's job is to take that awareness and craft legislation in the hopes of solving it. "Hey sorry you guys don't have law degrees or the money to write our legislation for us like lobbyists usually do" is how it comes off.

Not really. "What policy changes would you like made" is a politician accepting your input into the policy process. The whole problem with lobbying is industry groups capturing this process. It's only "bad" in this context if you are totally clueless- which you are.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Feather posted:

She literally told them to come up with policies and get back to her. That's literally what happened. It's not an exaggeration.

And I mean "literally" in the actual real sense, not the colloquial figurative sense.

Yeah how dare that cold, heartless, robotic :shillary: focus on policy changes that a legislature can deliver, instead of... ?

Bitch.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Getting republicans to shut up about it would be impossible I agree but my point was now this is something that is in the public consciousness including Hillary's fumbling response to it at the beginning. An apology and handing over the server at the get go would have reduced whatever damage the whole "scandal" has caused to her image.

That's the opposite of clamping down on it, though. Also it wouldn't really have changed anything in this case, because the people making noise about this are only looking for excuses to make noise and would have found plenty no matter what.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
The Donald would like all the profits from the CNN interview to go to veteran causes and has written a letter to Jeff Zucker requesting just that.

The thing is a work of art, but my favourite line would have to be 'While I refuse to brag'.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

richardfun posted:

The Donald would like all the profits from the CNN interview to go to veteran causes and has written a letter to Jeff Zucker requesting just that.

The thing is a work of art, but my favourite line would have to be 'While I refuse to brag'.

I just came here to post this. This is a thing of beauty. I can't decide if my personal favorite part is "this tremendous increase in viewer interest and advertising is due 100% to 'Donald J. Trump'" with his name in quotes or "In fact, NBC renewed The Apprentice, even though I told them not to because I was running for President (something which did not exactly endear them to me)."

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Feather posted:

She literally told them to come up with policies and get back to her. That's literally what happened. It's not an exaggeration.

And I mean "literally" in the actual real sense, not the colloquial figurative sense.

"I want to help, what concrete thing can I do?" isn't telling them to solve their own problems.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Bqhatevwr.

Wow, standing next to Scott Brown is really not a good look for Christie.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

richardfun posted:

Every moment that The Trump graces our dimension is a work of art.

Has anyone ever seen Donald and Banksy in the same place at the same time? Just sayin.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Considering how much it clearly bothers Jeb!, what are the odds that Trump's "low energy" insults are because he found old papa Bush and Dubya give Jeb poo poo about that all the time?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

richardfun posted:

This is an amazing trap. Either they implicitly endorse Trump (and sacrifice all that huge pile of juicy profits that the corpulent slugsuits were looking forward to), or they get exposed for the greedy loving bastards they are.

Profiteering off elections shouldn't be acceptable and good on Trump for exposing CNN on this point.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Feather posted:

She was right to tell them that. BLM activists seem bizarrely averse to actually participating in the political process, and until they do there's no reason for anyone with power to take them seriously. A "decentralized" movement isn't really a movement, it's just a warm spot of piss that quickly dissolves into the pool.

If they want to make change then they need to build clout in the Democratic party. #BLM needs to mean the difference between getting a significant number of votes and not. They need legislative priorities to push on politicians. They need to fundraise and use that money to support candidates. They need to join forces with like minded groups. They need to do more than just loving show up and expect "trending" to magically translate into meaningful police reform.

Interest groups write laws. They do it all the god drat time. They're so efficient at doing it that showing up without so much as a policy paper in your hand means you deserve to be taken about as seriously as Alaska secessionists. Raise some money, start a nonprofit, put some lawyers on the payroll, write a bill, and hire some lobbyists to push it. They'll get a hell of a lot closer to their goals doing that than sneering "that's their job, they need to figure it out" anytime a member of the press or the next President asks them what to do.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Will FOX be hosting any more republican debates? If Trump is willing to put the screws to CNN to donate at least part of their giant pile of debate money to a good cause, then FOX deserves the same treatment.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

Will FOX be hosting any more republican debates? If Trump is willing to put the screws to CNN to donate at least part of their giant pile of debate money to a good cause, then FOX deserves the same treatment.

January and March, dates not announced

http://www.uspresidentialelectionnews.com/2016-debate-schedule/2016-republican-primary-debate-schedule/

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

She was right to tell them that. BLM activists seem bizarrely averse to actually participating in the political process, and until they do there's no reason for anyone with power to take them seriously. A "decentralized" movement isn't really a movement, it's just a warm spot of piss that quickly dissolves into the pool.

If they want to make change then they need to build clout in the Democratic party. #BLM needs to mean the difference between getting a significant number of votes and not. They need legislative priorities to push on politicians. They need to fundraise and use that money to support candidates. They need to join forces with like minded groups. They need to do more than just loving show up and expect "trending" to magically translate into meaningful police reform.

Interest groups write laws. They do it all the god drat time. They're so efficient at doing it that showing up without so much as a policy paper in your hand means you deserve to be taken about as seriously as Alaska secessionists. Raise some money, start a nonprofit, put some lawyers on the payroll, write a bill, and hire some lobbyists to push it. They'll get a hell of a lot closer to their goals doing that than sneering "that's their job, they need to figure it out" anytime a member of the press or the next President asks them what to do.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with a large amount of it. My only issue is that BLM is very new and so much of their activism has been around getting people to acknowledge the problem exists, which is sadly something many politicians and groups refuse to even do. The latter parts also require a certain level of expertise, and additionally resources; however the areas where this problem exists are often the most disadvantaged in both education and finances, many were being bled dry by punitive fines and police-as-collections-agents. From that perspective, being told to raise money and hire lawyers sounds like a more difficult prospect than it would be for a wealthier group of people who have easier access already.

Yes, it would be better and easier if they had policy proposals written and referenced by research, or the lobbying power to push it. However, I feel that they want the problem to be acknowledged and that situationally they are at a disadvantage to go through those traditional means.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Fiorina made it to prime time. Someone tell Crowder he (alone) did it

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I think JEB came across pretty well for a general audience, sort of like a sheepish, good-natured centrist.

platzapS fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 9, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

platzapS posted:

I think JEB came across pretty well for a general audience, sort of like a sheepish, good-natured centrist.

Yeah, until he said that the problem with his little brother was that he wasn't conservative enough...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

platzapS posted:

"It connotes excitement"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mirthless posted:

Why should you be happy spending the money today that you would have spent on an ivy league school ten years ago?

Aren't ivy leagues free rides due to endowments?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Neeksy posted:

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with a large amount of it. My only issue is that BLM is very new and so much of their activism has been around getting people to acknowledge the problem exists, which is sadly something many politicians and groups refuse to even do. The latter parts also require a certain level of expertise, and additionally resources; however the areas where this problem exists are often the most disadvantaged in both education and finances, many were being bled dry by punitive fines and police-as-collections-agents. From that perspective, being told to raise money and hire lawyers sounds like a more difficult prospect than it would be for a wealthier group of people who have easier access already.

Yes, it would be better and easier if they had policy proposals written and referenced by research, or the lobbying power to push it. However, I feel that they want the problem to be acknowledged and that situationally they are at a disadvantage to go through those traditional means.

It doesn't even require research and lawyers and lobbyists to present policy proposals. Closer federal oversight of cops in minority communities, de-escalation training initiatives so that the gun doesn't come out first, involvement of hate crime charges if they would be applicable were the shooter not a cop. BLM's focus is on building the proverbial awareness when people are already pretty loving aware.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

richardfun posted:

Yeah, until he said that the problem with his little brother was that he wasn't conservative enough...

On government spending, which was a fine answer for a general audience

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

"It connotes excitement"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Neeksy posted:

Saying "I want to know what your solutions to the problem are so that I can help implement them" is acknowledging the problem exists. You don't ask for solutions to non-existent problems.

And BLM has plenty of lawyers associated - I know some of them - and they do work on policy proposals.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Neeksy posted:

They have this: http://www.joincampaignzero.org/#vision

It seems to me that they've already taken the leap beyond a simple hashtag trend and it would be a mistake to assume they are just another OWS where a lack of leadership and coherence led to ineffectiveness.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
College is like major health care. If you or your family has the money, they will take all of it. If you don't, you can probably go into debt for 100k+ and get it anyway.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

BLM's focus is on building the proverbial awareness when people are already pretty loving aware.

I'm not sure if that is entirely the case, but it might be that there are just too many who can never be convinced it's a real problem because of their own biases. Victim-blaming or "they were no angel"-style framing devices are alive and well, which are a cultural phenomenon that policy alone can't change.

Of course, a decentralized movement is going to have a muddled message and harder time organizing as well.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Kalman posted:

Saying "I want to know what your solutions to the problem are so that I can help implement them" is acknowledging the problem exists. You don't ask for solutions to non-existent problems.

And BLM has plenty of lawyers associated - I know some of them - and they do work on policy proposals.

The problem with her response is that she seems to have no trouble pushing out policy agendas in other areas without having the people who they solve problems for do the policy work. She's engaging in the very white privilege the particular BLM activists wanted her to acknowledge. Sure, she needs to know what the problems are, but she also needs to leverage her supposed wonkishness to help deliver on them, too.

I'll add that "come back to me with the solutions to your problems that I helped create" is both problematic on it's own (she knows at least some of what must be done) and a bit silly given her insistence that she's the master of Listening To People.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Considering how much it clearly bothers Jeb!, what are the odds that Trump's "low energy" insults are because he found old papa Bush and Dubya give Jeb poo poo about that all the time?

What have the other Bushes said about Jeb being low energy? I haven't heard about that before.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Coatlicue posted:

What have the other Bushes said about Jeb being low energy? I haven't heard about that before.

Neither has he. He's speculating on whether or not they said that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Kalman posted:

I see. I'll concede that point, then!

I kinda wish HRC did a little bit more in that interview in regards to acknowledging the problems with and her role in promoting the policies in the 90s, but it's hard to say how one could do that without it sounding like they had poor judgment at the time or perhaps influenced by political expediency. That might have been why I interpreted her questions of desired policy less charitably, mistakenly.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Feather posted:

The problem with her response is that she seems to have no trouble pushing out policy agendas in other areas without having the people who they solve problems for do the policy work. She's engaging in the very white privilege the particular BLM activists wanted her to acknowledge. Sure, she needs to know what the problems are, but she also needs to leverage her supposed wonkishness to help deliver on them, too.

I'll add that "come back to me with the solutions to your problems that I helped create" is both problematic on it's own (she knows at least some of what must be done) and a bit silly given her insistence that she's the master of Listening To People.

Do you really think Hillary Clinton sat down and came up with her policy agenda? Of course she didn't. It's a casserole made of bits thought up by Democratic interest groups and think tanks.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Feather posted:

The problem with her response is that she seems to have no trouble pushing out policy agendas in other areas without having the people who they solve problems for do the policy work.

Wrong. If Hillary's pushing a proposal it'll have either come from an interest group of have been run past that interest group for input. She doesn't just come up with these things off the top of her head. But for some reason it's "White Privilege" to not solve all black people's problems without their input.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Neeksy posted:

I see. I'll concede that point, then!

I kinda wish HRC did a little bit more in that interview in regards to acknowledging the problems with and her role in promoting the policies in the 90s, but it's hard to say how one could do that without it sounding like they had poor judgment at the time or perhaps influenced by political expediency. That might have been why I interpreted her questions of desired policy less charitably, mistakenly.

I think she kind of set an awkward tone from the beginning when she said, "look, um, I've got a lot of black friends, you know my husband was named the first black president by Jet magazine, right?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Feather posted:

Then there's no right answer, is there? If she comes up with her own solutions, then she's ignoring the input of the African American community, and if she asks for their solutions, then she's "engaging in white privilege."

Is there anything she can do that wouldn't be criticized, at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Fish Cant Hold Gun posted:

I hate the fact that the concept that "all lives matter" has been co-opted by racists

The concept was always terrible. At best it was a flimsy way to waffle around the blatant fact that both parties support policies that harm black people. At worst it implied that BLM activists were claiming black lives were superior.

• Locked thread