Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm already hesitant on whether I should keep the Pure. I just had a 20 minute phone call on it, and holy crap my hand was hurting. It's just so big! Maybe it will take some time to adapt from the 2013 X, but I'm not sure I can handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I don't know why phones stayed small for so long. I remember people being so surprised that the original Note was selling well, but people like powerful phones that aren't sluggish and do what you tell them to. I really liked my previous iPhone 5S but having a bigger screen really does allow for a lot more options.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Super Dude posted:

I'm already hesitant on whether I should keep the ****. I just had a 20 minute ***** **** on it, and holy crap my hand was hurting. It's just so big! Maybe it will take some time to adapt from the **** *, but I'm not sure I can handle it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BottleKnight posted:

I don't know why phones stayed small for so long. I remember people being so surprised that the original Note was selling well, but people like powerful phones that aren't sluggish and do what you tell them to. I really liked my previous iPhone 5S but having a bigger screen really does allow for a lot more options.

This post is all over the place. What does size have to do with sluggishness?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I have found that bigger phones provide better specs. I started off smartphones with a large Samsung Moment that I enjoyed a lot, which I then broke and it got replaced with a small, terrible HTC Hero. I guess I should've made it more clear that I enjoy bigger phones not necessarily because they are big (though big screens are nice) but because they are generally more powerful. This is not always the case, just a trend.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
My Sony Z1 is being retired tomorrow after two years of sterling service. With luck, a new LG G4 will arrive (a plastic one, no dead cat for me and I plan to case it anyway). Dumb question I know, but what's the most convenient way to swap over contacts from one to the other these days?

I will be using a screen protector. Never planned to use one with the Z1, but one came came free the phone, and worked well. After a while it got scuffed up and I removed it, planning to do without again, only for me to throw a plug tines-down at the screen (don't ask me how). Screen survived, but with an ugly little notch I couldn't ignore, even after I added a new protector.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

Size can give latitude in design that isn't present with a smaller frame. That allows for better arrangement for optimal heat management, allowing the processor to run faster rather than throttling down to keep from overheating. Same with battery, larger frame means more room for battery, though that's offset some by a larger screen.

If you want to get even more theoretical, you could use less mature hardware in there since you don't need to wait for it to be shrunk down with manufacturing improvements and die size advancements over time. More room for stuff like RAM, peripheral processing units, spare flash memory specially devoted to caching and given higher bus speeds or whatever.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Galaspar posted:

My Sony Z1 is being retired tomorrow after two years of sterling service. With luck, a new LG G4 will arrive (a plastic one, no dead cat for me and I plan to case it anyway). Dumb question I know, but what's the most convenient way to swap over contacts from one to the other these days?
Make sure the contacts are synced with your Google account (check them at https://www.google.com/contacts), then log into the same Google account on the target phone.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Wax Dynasty posted:

Based on this thread from the MotoX subreddit, there is at least one other person with this problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/3kkp8r/speaker_popping_in_the_2015_pure/

Yeah, that was me. It sounds like nobody else has this problem, so it's probably a defective device.

My options seem to be to either return the one I have and wait for them to receive it, examine it, build a new one, and send it (so, probably a week or two) or pay a $25 "advance replacement fee" (and a $99 deposit) to do it that way. Maybe I can find some kind soul (who doesn't have their hands completely tied) with their support team that can waive the $25 fee for an advance replacement. Either way, though, this is really lovely.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Radio strength seems to be an afterthought in most reviews, but for those of you who are starting to get your Moto X Pure phones, any inclination if they are continuing Moto's reputation for decent radios and antennas?

Semi related, and this is more of an app thing but - Are there any apps that let you force radio selection on an android phone? IE, I want to tell my phone to use the 4G radio, I don't care what it thinks is more efficient, I don't care if it thinks it does not have a signal, I don't care what it will do to the battery. So sick of seeing "no service", flipping airplane mode on and off, and magically having all the 4G service I want.

I've never used this, but I used a similar app I can't find atm: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapbase.LTEswitcher

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
:catstare:

gently caress OnePlus. There are so many words that I don't even really know where to start.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My Moto X Pure has a decidedly better radio than my N5. Blipped over to HSPA+ for a second in an elevator, but held an LTE signal otherwise all the way through, even from the parking garage through the building basement where all the mainframe poo poo is. My N5 would be on the low end of HSPA signal before I even got to the elevator, and it would be completely without signal until I got off on my floor.

Again, this is a comparison to a Nexus 5, so keep that in mind.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Super Dude posted:

I'm already hesitant on whether I should keep the Pure. I just had a 20 minute phone call on it, and holy crap my hand was hurting. It's just so big! Maybe it will take some time to adapt from the 2013 X, but I'm not sure I can handle it.
You have 14 days for a no-questions-asked return, at least give it a week. I went from a 2013 Moto X to a Nexus 6 and even at 6'8" with proportionally big hands ("it looks like an average person holding a normal phone") it took me a couple of weeks to get used to it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BottleKnight posted:

I have found that bigger phones provide better specs. I started off smartphones with a large Samsung Moment that I enjoyed a lot, which I then broke and it got replaced with a small, terrible HTC Hero. I guess I should've made it more clear that I enjoy bigger phones not necessarily because they are big (though big screens are nice) but because they are generally more powerful. This is not always the case, just a trend.

Correlation is not causation.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Airborne Viking posted:

:catstare:

gently caress OnePlus. There are so many words that I don't even really know where to start.

I love how they only get a shirt and invite, not even a phone. Because giving them a phone in exchange for fleshy pix is borderline prostitution but just a place in line is chivalry

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Correlation is not causation.

Exactly. I am surprised it took this long because of the correlation.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Super Dude posted:

If anyone is interested in seeing the size difference between the X 2013 and Pure:

Yikes. I guess I'll have to live with trying to afford Z5 Compact at some point.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
The Pure has an excellent screen. No qualms here with the switch from amoled. Enjoying the quality and color balance.

Battery will take a bit to assess so I won't try to get. The camera is... Not good.

Now, I've only tried it inside but the noise and blur everyone mentioned with low light is true - and it isn't even low light in here. Focus is all kinds of poor too. Be interested to see how it performs outside tomorrow.

Performance is excellent. Interface is very smooth with no appreciable lag. Feels good in hand, but I've been using an iPhone 6 plus for the past year - which also colors my opinion on the camera since that one is so good.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cozmosis posted:

Battery will take a bit to assess so I won't try to get. The camera is... Not good.

Motorola cameras just seem to be kinda poo poo in general. I kept trying to lie to myself with "See, the moto g takes good pictures, let me spam the thread with cat pictures!" but it's just a fact that the E/G/X (and Nexus 6) all kind of have terrible cameras.

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Radio strength seems to be an afterthought in most reviews, but for those of you who are starting to get your Moto X Pure phones, any inclination if they are continuing Moto's reputation for decent radios and antennas?

Completely not the question but I thought I'd share something cool: my LG G4 is the first phone I've had that can actually get an LTE (or any at all) signal at work. Is this the magic of Band 12? I live in Seattle.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
edit: gently caress, that was meant to be edit, not reply, I'm sorry.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Anyone who has the 2013 X and the pure, I'd really appreciate a comparison of cellular signal strength. I live in a weird dead zone and get -115-ish dbm with my 2013 X in my house. If the pure could knock that down to the 90s I'd be thrilled.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Sergiu64 posted:

Yikes. I guess I'll have to live with trying to afford Z5 Compact at some point.

If you'd upgraded to a 2014 X last year like you were supposed to, it wouldn't be that big of a size difference :colbert:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you'd upgraded to a 2014 X last year like you were supposed to, it wouldn't be that big of a size difference :colbert:

Phones are just getting bigger.

It's handy for swatting bugs!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask about this.

When Android TV was first starting to come out, there were several articles that said select Google TV devices would be getting updated to use it. However, since then I've not heard of any more. Were any devices actually updated from GTV to Android TV?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

WhyteRyce posted:

I love how they only get a shirt and invite, not even a phone. Because giving them a phone in exchange for fleshy pix is borderline prostitution but just a place in line is chivalry
I found an article on OnePlus' marketing department, written three months after the incident. It's basically them sucking themselves off about how much work they get done with so few people.

I have no sympathy. If such a glaring oversight got past one of the most important departments of your company, I can only dream of the software bugs, hardware defects, or quality control issues the rest of your company is having.

(OnePlus Marketing Team)

Pretty sure the one on the right is Jerry, the rear end in a top hat who said this:

The Verge posted:

The entire conceit is that the male fans of OnePlus are honoring women by voting on them. "In true gentlemen fashion and because chivalry is not dead, we are giving the lovely ladies of OnePlus a chance to skip the invite line," OnePlus staffer Jerry writes. Jerry introduces the contest by writing that "OnePlus wants to give a shout out to the few but beautiful female fans in our community."
:psypop:Go gently caress yourself, Jerry. I hope you and your company burn to the ground.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
M'invite

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It looks like you may be able to use the Moto X Pure on Project Fi, which has been exclusive to the Nexus 6.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

JediTalentAgent posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask about this.

When Android TV was first starting to come out, there were several articles that said select Google TV devices would be getting updated to use it. However, since then I've not heard of any more. Were any devices actually updated from GTV to Android TV?

I don't think so, no. This one can maybe be categorized with the Android Update Alliance.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So Sony is now saying don't put Xperia phones under water? I put my Z3c in and took underwater pictures and nothing went wrong. Wonder if the new crop has lovely seals. Sounds like Sony isn't honoring warranties with water though so I'd stop immersing if you still have am Xperia.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Just got Android Pay on my phone, going to try it out later today!

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

TraderStav posted:

So Sony is now saying don't put Xperia phones under water? I put my Z3c in and took underwater pictures and nothing went wrong. Wonder if the new crop has lovely seals. Sounds like Sony isn't honoring warranties with water though so I'd stop immersing if you still have am Xperia.

I think that is more the reason. If sony was honoring every water damaged phone, they are probably losing a ton of money. Once a pcb is fried from water damage, it's dead. They have to give the person a brand new phone. It's nice that they are waterproofed, but I would never rely on that since I'm always dubious of warranties.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Airborne Viking posted:

I found an article on OnePlus' marketing department, written three months after the incident. It's basically them sucking themselves off about how much work they get done with so few people.

I have no sympathy. If such a glaring oversight got past one of the most important departments of your company, I can only dream of the software bugs, hardware defects, or quality control issues the rest of your company is having.

(OnePlus Marketing Team)

Pretty sure the one on the right is Jerry, the rear end in a top hat who said this:

:psypop:Go gently caress yourself, Jerry. I hope you and your company burn to the ground.

Given the issues that OnePlus has, I'm not sure its done even after it ships.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I think that is more the reason. If sony was honoring every water damaged phone, they are probably losing a ton of money. Once a pcb is fried from water damage, it's dead. They have to give the person a brand new phone. It's nice that they are waterproofed, but I would never rely on that since I'm always dubious of warranties.

Probably should not have marketed it as such then.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Probably should not have marketed it as such then.

Probably shouldn't, but they did anyway!

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
To those complaining/worried about the size of the Pure, an anecdote from work: Prior to buying the Pure, I played around with a coworker's Galaxy Note Edge because they were roughly the same size. The Note Edge felt huge, so it kinda made me leery about the Pure. Fast forward to yesterday, when I handed the Pure to my coworker. The first thing she says is "This isn't that big! This is smaller than my phone!" I held the Pure up to her Note Edge to show her that they were pretty much the same size. Everyone I've handed the phone to has said the same thing--it doesn't feel as big as it looks. It was also surprisingly -less- noticeable in my pocket yesterday compared to my Nexus 5 (granted, I'm wearing scrubs, but still).

Also, regarding the camera, I'll tentatively echo what Cozmosis said: My experience thus far has not been good. However, I'm used to the google camera app, and I just noticed that the Motorola app defaults to widescreen photos, which results in a lower resolution. It's speedy, but the picture quality is pretty much poo poo compared to even my N5. Could be the lack of OIS, but I doubt it. I need to play with it a bit more and maybe try it out with different apps though before I write it off completely.

I just snapped this last night real fast to keep with the apparent motorola cat pictures theme. Lighting is adequate but not optimal, and I left HDR set to "auto." This is also before I realized the camera was defaulted to widescreen, so it's 16 instead of 21 megapixels (not that it should really make a difference).

JAF07 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 12, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
That picture looks pretty good to me, as someone who is coming from a Galaxy S4.

I think that may be one of the issues with phone reviews these days. People say that such and such really sucks, but they never make a comparison to older generation phones. If your phone is 2 years old and you're buying a new one does it really suck or does it only suck when compared with its competition?

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm curious to see if the pure gets RAW support. Thats a big bonus for me and I bet it would help the situation using an app like FV5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon first gen Moto X seems to be finally getting lollipop.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/12/moto-x-lollipop-1st-gen-verizon/

As for cameras, we know that objective tests done with the Pure camera has put it easily in the top 5 if not top 3 when shooting well lit conditions. Shooting in dimmer conditions is more of mixed bag but quality does seem to be possible, if a bit more difficult to extract.

At the end of the day though, you have a $399 portable computer that takes better shots than the majority of pocketable point in shoots under that price point. Hell, I stopped using my Canon point and shoot pretty much since my Turbo is as good as it in most normal conditions.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

axeil posted:

That picture looks pretty good to me, as someone who is coming from a Galaxy S4.

I think that may be one of the issues with phone reviews these days. People say that such and such really sucks, but they never make a comparison to older generation phones. If your phone is 2 years old and you're buying a new one does it really suck or does it only suck when compared with its competition?

I was comparing it against my two year old Nexus 5. That picture is poo poo. It's noisy as gently caress. It's also at ISO 1600...which is another problem. Why is it that a phone with a F/2.0 lens (vs 2.4 on the N5) is leaning on ISO more when it can physically see more light? The picture looks passable in the thumbnail, but if you zoom there's no detail in the fur.

For comparison, here's an N5 shot in the same (maybe slightly better) lighting conditions. At F/2.4, it only needed to go to ISO 898. There's detail in the fur, and you can see detail in the wall as well:

Here's an ancient picture from the universally-hated camera of the Galaxy Nexus in terrible lighting conditions and I find it pretty comparable to the quality of the picture from the X Pure:

The bottom line for me is that when I need/want to take pictures, I bring my a6000. But as it stands right now, I feel like I was getting better pictures out of the reviled Nexus 5 camera than I have so far from the highly touted X Pure camera. I'm still going to experiment with it some more, but it's making me seriously question what sort of trickery Motorola used in all of those pictures they released when the phone was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JAF07 posted:

reviled Nexus 5 camera
It got panned in reviews and then they made it a ton better in a software update just after launch. So it's not really fair to describe it this way. Most people with a N5 know that it's a pretty decent camera. There are better ones, but it's above average, especially in HDR mode.