Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Xenomrph posted:

Holy gently caress, $4 and $9? That's insane. Thanks!

You can also sign up for their flyer which might give you access to a coupon that gives you extra savings off the big case. (The coupon only shows up from time to time.)

E: It appears to be valid right now

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/ws...l_s1031_c3715d2

Large case is $6.99 with the coupon.

E2: You may have to choose your local store for that coupon to be valid, I'm not sure. Or just sign up and you should be fine.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

The thing that bugs me is you get a new (and allegedly better) damage deck, but if I want two of them I need two new core sets. I wish they'd toss a new damage deck up as an option to buy on its own.

You can snag it off eBay at the moment for US $8.99 if you're so inclined.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Dagon posted:

These ones are nicer imo, if you don't need to fit that particular case: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:707019

This is loving cool. I need to hit up my engineering buddy who has a printer ASAP

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

Holy poo poo just looked up what I needed at the fab lab and it just needs .STL files on thumb drives. And it's all free and I don't need to be in the engineering school. Now I know what I'm gonna be picking up between classes every day. :peanut:

You should crank out small batches of those and sell'em.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
So when explaining to my fiancee why a tiny plastic spaceship toy costs $15, the reason that was most convincing to her (and to me) was that FFG works with Chinese suppliers who treat their workers well. However, when I was googling around for confirmation (I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it, probably these forums), I got this hit from the FFG forums and oh my goddddddddd
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/81842-working-conditions-at-ffg-production-plant-china/

quote:

A well meaning god fearing missionary and his daughter went to preach the gospil to poor ignorant heathens on a Pacific paradise. Upon arrival at his chosen island destination he quickly saw that the local population didn't where clothes and his teenage daughter was sneaking glances at the local boys nakedness and the public fornication of the "adults". This is no good he thought and he went and bought clothes for the whole child popluace and forced them to wear them using the fear of being beaten by a cane as his chosen method of persuasion. When it rained the children got wet and then became cold in the clothes but they feared the wrath of the missionary and his cane and so continued to wear the wet clothes. The children started getting sick and all of them ended up dead from various pneumonic illnesses. The missionary could not see that his actions caused the destruction, and blamed the illness on the wickedness of their heathen culture and public fornicating …………………………….. and so on until the population rised up, killed him and his daughter and ate them in ritual sacrifice.

We toss our standards, ethics and morals about thinking we are smarter and better than every other culture on the planet and we do so much damage in our ignorance. Then we wonder why they hate us with a passion so powerfull that they will even martyr themselves for their cause.

Worry more about your own household and leave your neighbours to themselves.

Though I should note that there are some good posts in there.
If any of my fellow bleeding-heart weenies are interested, FFG seems to rely on the International Council of Toy Industries, which doesn't seem to be terribly effective:
http://www.chinalaborwatch.org/report/66
http://www.chinalaborwatch.org/report/104
http://www.stop-toying-around.org/start.asp?ID=231386&b=4122

DKD fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 14, 2015

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

It's okay to ruthlessly exploit people, because if you try to impose your morals the dirty savages will kill and eat you!

...obviously an Imperial player.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Esser-Z posted:

It's okay to ruthlessly exploit people, because if you try to impose your morals the dirty savages will kill and eat you!

Please don't compare Imperial players to neoliberals.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Your first mistake was going to the FFG forums at all.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Please don't compare Imperial players to neoliberals.

I spologize. The Empire is far more honest about its approach to other cultures.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, I work with a company that has manufacturing in China and a bunch of suppliers there. They're serious about holding the manufacturers to the company standards (including a safe working environment and pay/benefits beyond the local legal minimum).
They hire other companies to go knock doors and do unannounced inspections and raise hell/threaten to cancel the contract if conditions aren't met. They once busted a subcontractor for locking a fire escape and forced them to fix it right away and present evidence of compliance at regular intervals.

A company like FFG can probably afford to be more careful about their suppliers than can a company like Mattel who exists in a mega-competitive race to the bottom sort of market.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Your first mistake was going to the FFG forums at all.

I should note that there were some good posts there as well. For example, in reply to that one:

quote:

Really, Fringe Dweller? A fable? Okay…

"A well-meaning Westerner saw two young immigrant children playing on the road. 'I'm so glad those immigrant children are playing on the road, just like they did back in their home country. I'm glad I am not imposing my cultural bias on them.' Moments later the children were hit by a bus and died."

Cultural domination is one thing, protection for those who have no voice is another. Our history has a couple of key examples: the abolition of slavery (which was brought about by "well-meaning" liberals) and the introduction of child-protection laws during the Industrial Revolution (again, by those meddling liberals). Neither example was introduced by those primarily affected, and each had an effect on the economy of the time. Would you like to repeal those laws and let nature take its course? I'm not sure many others would join you, if you said yes.

Esser-Z posted:

Ewok guerrilla expansion for ImpAss confirmed

e:

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, I work with a company that has manufacturing in China and a bunch of suppliers there. They're serious about holding the manufacturers to the company standards (including a safe working environment and pay/benefits beyond the local legal minimum).
They hire other companies to go knock doors and do unannounced inspections and raise hell/threaten to cancel the contract if conditions aren't met. They once busted a subcontractor for locking a fire escape and forced them to fix it right away and present evidence of compliance at regular intervals.

A company like FFG can probably afford to be more careful about their suppliers than can a company like Mattel who exists in a mega-competitive race to the bottom sort of market.

Yes, despite the issues reported with the ICTI, it seems their main fault was an inability to keep tabs on abuses by local factories, rather than active collusion or cover-ups. Also, as far as I can tell, no issues with factories connected to FFG, who also does its own checks. Liberal guilt successfully repressed!

DKD fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 14, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So whats the best way to rip the fin section off the houndstooth without horribly breaking it?

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

zVxTeflon posted:

So whats the best way to rip the fin section off the houndstooth without horribly breaking it?

apparently just hit it with a hairdryer and you can do this

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Is that for kitbashing or something? Why would you want to do that?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Usually kit bashing but storage specifically for that one cuz of its size.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So, going to open play thing tonight, opinions on this squad?

Stress Level Zero

code:
Jan Ors (32)
->Blaster Turret
->Kyle Katarn

Keyan Farlander (35)
->Ion Cannon 
Push the Limit 

Etahn A’baht (32)
Tycho would fit with the theme (maybe also with PTL), but I don't have his card, and I don't like printing proxies unless I have a full sheet.
This is a pretty bare-bones build, with no torpedoes. Not sure how efficient this build is.

Also, maybe it's more my skill at flying, but I really don't like flying naked TIE swarms. I tried it and it just feels so weird.I did end up winning, but barely with two regular TIES with 1 hit left each (and at least one with a crit effect). The swarm I ran was TIE x2, INTERCEPTOR x2 and a advanced
(because I ran a phantom last time, and wanted to do something different)

This is a new group, I hope their cool with proxies because this squad has a few. I think I'll make a regular one just in case.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Is that for kitbashing or something? Why would you want to do that?

Because that thing looks like a nightmare to fit into conventional storage cases due to it's shape. I avoided getting one initially because of this but now that I know it can be disassembled relatively easily I'll probably pick one up the next chance I get.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

AndyElusive posted:

Because that thing looks like a nightmare to fit into conventional storage cases due to it's shape. I avoided getting one initially because of this but now that I know it can be disassembled relatively easily I'll probably pick one up the next chance I get.

Yeah, this. In its normal configuration one is all I can get into my plano box.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
Can anyone tell me why the changes to stealth have contributed to the fall of favour for the Phantom? At this rate regardless of the change to stealth rules regarding the lose of cloak before game activation or ship activation i cant see why it would change the popularity of Whisper. What am I missing?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

In the tourney I went to last weekend there were zero phantoms, which was unprecedented. I think this is more likely due to the fact that everyone wanted to try out new things though, but I think to some extent the popularity of TLTs has helped to lessen the impact of Phantoms as well: sure, you have 4 agility, but that's still a lot of shots going your way and you are bound to whiff them eventually, especially if you only have 1 focus token (as whisper would have).

The cloaking change has only aggravated the above, since it isn't quite as braindead to use the phantoms anymore and you actually have to guess where you enemies are going to end up again.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Biaga posted:

Can anyone tell me why the changes to stealth have contributed to the fall of favour for the Phantom? At this rate regardless of the change to stealth rules regarding the lose of cloak before game activation or ship activation i cant see why it would change the popularity of Whisper. What am I missing?

Whisper's gone and done very well in tournaments, it's just now low PS(Well, anything beyond the top tier) non-turrets have more of a chance against him, whereas before they had none.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Biaga posted:

In the original version you decloaked your cloaked ship prior to that ship revealing its maneuver dial. So let's say you had Whisper with VI, so he's at Pilot Skill 9 and probably moving after everyone else. So how it usually went was everyone else moves, then the Whisper player gets to look at how everyone is set up, then they get to first barrel roll or boost using the 2-straight template, then they get to move, then they get to barrel roll again if they like, and no one can do anything about it. Then Whisper probably gets to shoot first, triggering Advanced Cloaking Device and immediately recloaking. Rinse repeat.

I got to watch a game pre-errata where someone was running Phantoms and it was basically ridiculous, the Phantom player could dance rings around the other ships, the flexibility of being able to decloak after everyone else had gone and locked their positions in making it so he could, at the very least, ensure that he was able to escape if he couldn't maneuver himself into arc with the aid of pre-dial and post-dial movement which was a rare occurrence.

Now decloaking has to happen before anyone moves which means it takes more planning and you can run afoul of someone predicting your movement or not heading where you wanted them too. I think the Phantom is still good, but it's one of those situations where something went from "super amazing awesome why would you ever not use this" to "good" and when that happens people like to overreact about how something's been nerfed into uselessness.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Seeking clarification on a couple things:

-Do proton bombs ignore shields?

-With cluster mines, what happens when you roll a crit? Does it deal damage, or count as a miss?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

DKD posted:

Seeking clarification on a couple things:

-Do proton bombs ignore shields?

-With cluster mines, what happens when you roll a crit? Does it deal damage, or count as a miss?
Proton bombs ignore shields

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DKD posted:

Cluster mines only do damage on normal hit results. If it did damage on both hits and crits it would say so like Proximity Mines do.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

WFGuy posted:

Epic 2v2 games are pretty bonkers. A friend and I just recently splashed out on the enormous phallic instruments and finally got a chance to play one yesterday afternoon.

The game ran to time (namely, late dinner time) last night, a full 400pt match, Raider vs Tantive, that was a ton of fun - technically 2v1, since the Rebel player was doing his solo. He managed to whittle down my wing commander's forces so that it finally went down to just Mama Bird and Baby Bird on my side and we called it for the night, with both our capital ships in flames (5fore/3aft hull on my Raider, most of the upgrades crippled by deck breaches, misfiring thrusters announcing my moves to the table; 3fore/2aft on his Tantive, all the lights out and explosions everywhere) and all fighter forces heavily damaged.

Here's pretty much how it began, with the Raider making a charge straight down the middle because that's just more fun dammit, and everyone moving into position. I manage to get a couple of Ion Cannon Battery shots in on the K-wing at this point, neutering it so that it's taken out before it can do much, but then the dice start to dislike me for the rest of the game.
Imperials, from left to right: Captain Jonus, Redline, Deathrain, Imperial Raider (Assailer / Mama Bird), Darth Vader, Major Rhymer, Captain Oicunn (Baby Bird).
Rebels: Tantive IV (Dodonna's Pride), Lando, Keyan, Gold Sq. Pilot, Warden Sq. Pilot, Dutch, Wedge, Jake.

That's a shot from right near the end - with the Decimator having just made an incredibly jammy pull past the Tantive, banking entirely on him turning it away rather than continuing forwards - and just before he manages to take out Deathrain and Rhymer. Lando's in the back, and pretty much everyone has fired all of their munitions at this point.

Great fun, although I'm looking forward to a few more 100pt games before we try it again. I have a neat Colonel Jendon/Redline/Maarek Stele trio I want to try out as a change from my normal Echo/Int/Int (or more recently Echo/Vader/Juno). Next time we play epic I think I'll take the Weapons Engineer on the Raider so that I actually have a backup plan when my rolls start to suck.

Hey dude how do you take pictures so they look like that? It's that neat tiny railroad/city technique I see in scale modeling magazines.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
You can do it with Photoshop. You just blur the top and bottom of the photo and leave the centre clear.

http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-Achieve-Miniature-Effect-via-Photoshop/

Edit: or expensive equipment.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 15, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Biaga posted:

People literally don't get to choose a maneuver then execute a barrel roll and another maneuver after watching every other ship move first. That's it. The Phantom is on an even playing field so people don't play it.

Edit good riddance too. It ruined the meta for a good long while.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

alg posted:

People literally don't get to choose a maneuver then execute a barrel roll and another maneuver after watching every other ship move first. That's it. The Phantom is on an even playing field so people don't play it.

I mean, people play it, it's just not talked about as much because Whisper is more on a Soontir level of power now instead of something obscene. The whisper+decimator list works similarly to soontir+decimator, just with a less tricked out deci. When you tech against one you usually tech against the other.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The only people playing phantoms now are people with the actual dedication and skill to do so. A friend of mine still does relatively well in tournaments (sadly didn't place 8th or higher in the 3 regionals he went to) and doesn't use the crew card that lets you peek at dials either.

I think it's like Han Solo. He is still decent and has a lot of mileage left but it's not as easy to fly anymore and people don't like having to do K-turns or other weird things just to get arcs on auto thrusters.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

The only people playing phantoms now are people with the actual dedication and skill to do so. A friend of mine still does relatively well in tournaments (sadly didn't place 8th or higher in the 3 regionals he went to) and doesn't use the crew card that lets you peek at dials either.

I can't even find Intelligence Agent on a Phantom that cheesy, it's pretty much the only ship that really benefits from it, it still has limitations, and you're giving up your crew slot which could go to something else just as if not more useful.

But yeah, Phantoms are still good ships, they just aren't a no-brainer anymore and like I said, going from "stupidly powerful" to "merely good" is enough to have people decrying them as trash garbage.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chill la Chill posted:

I think it's like Han Solo. He is still decent and has a lot of mileage left but it's not as easy to fly anymore and people don't like having to do K-turns or other weird things just to get arcs on auto thrusters.

Here's a big tournament finals match involving a phantom, BTW. Phantom player makes some huge booboos and somehow lives through them but randomly gets gashed for 2 damage by a Z-95 early in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FaZcNX1hP4

The opponent's an interesting rebel control-ish build with TLTs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've only ever encountered a TIE Phantom when I played my game against my friend and we were using the stock rules and whatnot. How have they been changed?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Xenomrph posted:

I've only ever encountered a TIE Phantom when I played my game against my friend and we were using the stock rules and whatnot. How have they been changed?

The Phantom has to do its decloak move before it sees anyone move now, rather than in normal PS order.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
The timing of decloaking- rather happening immediately before you flip your dial, decloaking happens before any dials are flipped.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Chill la Chill posted:

Hey dude how do you take pictures so they look like that? It's that neat tiny railroad/city technique I see in scale modeling magazines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

And if you want to imitate the effect, look into tilt-shift photography.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Veritek83 posted:

The timing of decloaking- rather happening immediately before you flip your dial, decloaking happens before any dials are flipped.
Cool, thanks!

So I got a cool organizer case thing from Home Depot, and after finally taking the time to punch out all my tokens and poo poo for my expansion ships and whatever, I have way, way too many focus/evade/stress/target lock tokens, more than I could ever conceivably use in a single game, and it feels like they're taking up a lot of unnecessary space in the case that could be better used for other things (like miniatures, ship dials/tokens, etc). Not to mention the stupid number of ship ID # tokens I've got, that I doubt I'll ever use.

I'm seriously considering paring down all these extra tokens to something manageable - how many of each token would you consider "safe" to keep on-hand in a case?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

5 of each token should suffice. More or less depending on faction you usually play. Usually you only need 3 target locks even if you play BBBBZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Xenomrph posted:

Cool, thanks!

So I got a cool organizer case thing from Home Depot, and after finally taking the time to punch out all my tokens and poo poo for my expansion ships and whatever, I have way, way too many focus/evade/stress/target lock tokens, more than I could ever conceivably use in a single game, and it feels like they're taking up a lot of unnecessary space in the case that could be better used for other things (like miniatures, ship dials/tokens, etc). Not to mention the stupid number of ship ID # tokens I've got, that I doubt I'll ever use.

I'm seriously considering paring down all these extra tokens to something manageable - how many of each token would you consider "safe" to keep on-hand in a case?

It's a rare list that has more than six ships, so unless you're planning on flying 8x Academy Pilot or something you could probably get by with a half-dozen each of focus, evade, TL, and stress and that would probably be more than generous enough for most lists. Exceptions do exist of course...Tycho Celchu, the Moldy Crow title, these things accumulate tokens, but if you know you're gonna be using them then you can plan accordingly. Shield tokens are the exception since depending on the ships you're using you might need a bunch...a single B-Wing uses five all by itself for example.

• Locked thread