Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Pews posted:

literally google his name

e: anything on the first page of a google search result should really just common knowledge in 2015

e2: sorry think i misinterpreted what you meant, now I'm going to think that about every generic rear end anime name running around that it has some long backstory of someone spending hours finding the 'perfect' name

I spent like 3 hours mashing random on the name screen to come up with the perfect elezen name that also started with the same letters b/c alliteration is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Kitfox88 posted:

I spent like 3 hours mashing random on the name screen to come up with the perfect elezen name that also started with the same letters b/c alliteration is awesome

My character is very lore appropriate for a Lalafell, Aachu Achu (also a funny pun).

I'm now an Au Ra and it's weird and I don't want to spend money to change my name. :saddowns:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i gotta stop reading that bluegartr thread where they make fun of the OF but are actually even worse than the OF

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Farg posted:

i gotta stop reading that bluegartr thread where they make fun of the OF but are actually even worse than the OF

Whatever are you talking ab

quote:

All in all, I'd prefer something like AV to A4S simply because at least AV feels like they put some work into it's design even if its BS.

out?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

I used the scientific name for alpacas for mine.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
they also seem to be big proponents of the whole "3.0 is a lazy 2.0 reskin" which best I can understand they mean that they wanted more new types of content? Understandable I guess, they're getting it with explorations and verminion

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

An expansion pack simply adds on new content and doesn't remake the game from scratch. I am shocked.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Farg posted:

What thread is this?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Manyorcas posted:

Really useful tool if you're doing the daily hunts:

http://www.ffxivhuntspath.co.uk/

only thing it needs is the ability to just type the names of the mobs in instead of scrolling down a list.

http://ffxivhuntmarks.jinivus.com/

This one lets you type to search and gives map graphics with mob locations as well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Farg posted:

Same but with something awful.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Friend of mine started leveling ninja recently. We noticed something interesting about the armor crush animation today.

Compare: https://i.gyazo.com/f29e3eebf090ac055c95c8b34f2609cc.mp4

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The casual motto: It's just a game.

MMO's really aren't supposed to be just a game. They're supposed to be immersive worlds you get lost in and get so addicted to that escape from this horrible reality that you ruin your life.

Personally, the long term prospects of this game have been gone for a long time. Every single patch since 2.0 has basically just been
Cap
Raid
literally nothing else to do

megalodong fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 21, 2015

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

petcarcharodon posted:

Friend of mine started leveling ninja recently. We noticed something interesting about the armor crush animation today.

Compare: https://i.gyazo.com/f29e3eebf090ac055c95c8b34f2609cc.mp4

Been leveling ninja and it's killing me WHERE IS THE OTHER DAGGER GOING DURING THIS ANIMATION?!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Farg posted:

they also seem to be big proponents of the whole "3.0 is a lazy 2.0 reskin" which best I can understand they mean that they wanted more new types of content? Understandable I guess, they're getting it with explorations and verminion

Assuming they really didn't expect ARR 2 and a total remake of the game, I think what these people are doing is complaining about something that they lack the vocabulary and skill as a critic to express in that they don't like that 3.0 is largely following the same patterns of progression and gameplay overall. As they are bad critics they also think that anything they can detect patterns in means that it is bad.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

megalodong posted:

The casual motto: It's just a game.

MMO's really aren't supposed to be just a game. They're supposed to be immersive worlds you get lost in and get so addicted to that escape from this horrible reality that you ruin your life.

Personally, the long term prospects of this game have been gone for a long time. Every single patch since 2.0 has basically just been
Cap
Raid
literally nothing else to do

:chanpop:
Haha go outside loser.

Been playing a healer for daily dungeons, its so easy. No respect for any healers now that I've done it in full law gear.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

Assuming they really didn't expect ARR 2 and a total remake of the game, I think what these people are doing is complaining about something that they lack the vocabulary and skill as a critic to express in that they don't like that 3.0 is largely following the same patterns of progression and gameplay overall. As they are bad critics they also think that anything they can detect patterns in means that it is bad.

I'm really curious what mmo they played where expansions didn't follow this sort of concept.

Like with WOW, you have BC which added 2 new races, flying, a new PVP system, and a bunch of other mechanical changes like shaman/paladins on both factions etc. Wrath added a new class, Cata new races and so on.

FFXI expansions were similar as well - new classes, new areas, new fights, but the underlying game remained the same.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Bunch of former ffxi addicts are disappointed that the game isn't designed to be a replacement for their own ruined lives is all I'm reading out of that thread.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

megalodong posted:

I know this is way too long for the thread title, but.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward - The casual motto: It's just a game.

Lets beat the wildstar thread.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I somehow got ACT to put this on my clipboard while reviewing a log from a LLDR:

quote:

(02:55) Lady Amandine: 103 Limit Break-Bladedance-1343
YOU | 40
Caski | 26
Freya | 25
Limit | 8
Mikot | 4

Now I can't manage to get it to do it again. The closest I can get is a big and overdetailed list of everything in the table. What keys do I press to get the simplified breakdown copy-paste?

edit: Looks like this is automatically put on my clipboard after every combat, via an option in the settings. I'd like to be able to get this simplified breakdown for logs of older fights, though.

Brannock fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 21, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Fishious posted:

Bunch of former ffxi addicts are disappointed that the game isn't designed to be a replacement for their own ruined lives is all I'm reading out of that thread.

It really sounds like the airship explorations are purpose-designed as content for these people who won't shut the gently caress up about XIV not being XI Reborn or otherwise that there's no bullshit open world content for assholes to piss all over each other and ruin each other's lives constantly, ever. Please look forward to a massive, massive timesink.

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER

Boten Anna posted:

It really sounds like the airship explorations are purpose-designed as content for these people who won't shut the gently caress up about XIV not being XI Reborn or otherwise that there's no bullshit open world content for assholes to piss all over each other and ruin each other's lives constantly, ever. Please look forward to a massive, massive timesink.

I'm so ready.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
And I would have enjoyed it too, if it weren't for you meddling data miners!

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

Random glamours on Exploration Missions gear can't mean glamours from other classes, can it?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I didn't read it that way at all but now I hate you for getting my hopes up

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I've been trying to play on my ps4 more and so far the thing killing me is quickly picking up targets when tanking (dolls on Faust for instance). Besides r2 plus l1 being like tab, are there other hot tips for grabbing a mob that may be anywhere on the screen? Clicking these guys was far easier.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you're already engrained on using kb+m you can just plug them right into your ps4 and use them normally. Not quite what you were asking, but l1+up/down scrolls through the entity list if you already have any aggro

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

nuru posted:

I've been trying to play on my ps4 more and so far the thing killing me is quickly picking up targets when tanking (dolls on Faust for instance). Besides r2 plus l1 being like tab, are there other hot tips for grabbing a mob that may be anywhere on the screen? Clicking these guys was far easier.

L1+ Up/down on the d-pad scrolls the enmity list.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kafziel posted:

Random glamours on Exploration Missions gear can't mean glamours from other classes, can it?
Didn't some of the crafted HW gear have appearances from Wootz gear for other classes?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

HelloPlatypus posted:

I'm so ready.

As am I. :black101:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Zereth posted:

Didn't some of the crafted HW gear have appearances from Wootz gear for other classes?

Indeed so, a lot of crafted HW stuff was other classes' crafted appearances from ARR.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DYMVg4xxRenKKAXuaitm4_Pyg6LsEleyLJsqExtiXl8/preview

Someone made a translation summary of the live letter, so yeah basically we're getting Dynamis/NMs/HNMs, a new relic questline, and a full blown RTS game, as well as the sequel to Labyrinth of the Ancients. It's a pretty beefy patch, including one thing that is almost certainly going to be a gigantic timesink (relics!) and something else that, as mentioned, is probably an XI-style timesink.

This also kind of makes it clearer the meaning of what we've been calling "random glamors"; basically drops in the explorations are just big ol' dumping grounds of completely random armor from looks to stats, so please look forward to a total RNG clusterfuck!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It doesn't matter what glamours they start out with, only that the South Seas Talisman can be glamoured on top of them.

Races without muscle sliders may perhaps be concerned with the glamours however.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still dont think random stats mean mind in heavy armor or something like that. Its probably be going to be affix based with tertiary stats switching a bit and having a roll range for stats

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

FC Thieves, eh?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So do DPS classes get a spike in the high 30s low 40s? I'm 41 and in Qarn was first time I had to full time Grit and I was still losing agro to the DPS a bunch of times. Unmend/Unleash/Provoke seemingly are not enough. The DRG in the group was definitely a 60, but not sure on the BLM. Either way I actually had to finally work hard to hold agro. It was good and bad. Run ended well, though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Obscurity posted:

So do DPS classes get a spike in the high 30s low 40s? I'm 41 and in Qarn was first time I had to full time Grit and I was still losing agro to the DPS a bunch of times. Unmend/Unleash/Provoke seemingly are not enough. The DRG in the group was definitely a 60, but not sure on the BLM. Either way I actually had to finally work hard to hold agro. It was good and bad. Run ended well, though.

Pretty much yes. All 3 tanks get their big threat combo early. Just about all the dps are missing a lot of tools until the early 40's. When I levelled my drk I was always top dps until I got to around 45.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I still dont think random stats mean mind in heavy armor or something like that. Its probably be going to be affix based with tertiary stats switching a bit and having a roll range for stats

It's Aetherial gear, we already know how it works. Primary stats are appropriate for what it is (as you mention) but the substats are random. I believe the substats tend to be relevant, like I don't think an aetherial tank belt will have spell speed on it, but as we all know, some stats are more equal than others, and within minutes of the content being out someone will have figured out the absolute BiS equipment and we'll all be clawing each other's eyes out for it. I love this game!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Excuse you I will be clawing people's eyes out for awesome otherwise unavailable on WAR glamour options. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Boten Anna posted:

It's Aetherial gear, we already know how it works. Primary stats are appropriate for what it is (as you mention) but the substats are random. I believe the substats tend to be relevant, like I don't think an aetherial tank belt will have spell speed on it, but as we all know, some stats are more equal than others, and within minutes of the content being out someone will have figured out the absolute BiS equipment and we'll all be clawing each other's eyes out for it. I love this game!

One day they'll figure out how to make itemization interesting. That day won't happen this expansion though.

• Locked thread