Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FagtasticalMondays
Oct 10, 2013

I should do tarot for a living, or start gambling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Guys, the dicks stand for big, meaty, dicks.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
^^^ In Jerry's case not that big, evidently.

CelticPredator posted:

It actually features rape.

Actual rape is not a hot take on rape. I'm interested only in the hottest takes on rape.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 23, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Actual rape is not a hot take on rape. I'm interested only in the hottest takes on rape.

Well, it was also homosexual, child molestation rape done by a figure in power.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

back to the future had rape subtext to it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

By which you mean a sexual assault was an important plot point in the movie, yes.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Toxxupation posted:

An animated TV show that has found a way to get past network censorship and tackle queer issues is actually A Big Deal because there really isn't much in the way of queer friendly media for folks.

No "queer issues" have ever been "tackled" in Rick and Morty.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

MrAristocrates posted:

What's better posting?

A. Discuss the themes of the latest episode

B. Shitpost about how much A. annoys you by attacking the poster through their enjoyment of a different show that this thread has already had numerous terrible derails about

Posting about posting is so cool. I love it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
This thread needs to get its poo poo together. Get it all together, and put it all in a backpack. All its poo poo, so its together.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

They're taking about SU.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

rydiafan posted:

They're taking about SU.

Which has less than zero to do with what I said. :shrug:

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I'm not clever enough for A and too easygoing for B, so it looks like I'm C all the way, baby.

I will say that I think Roiland's improv is better when he's doing it in scenarios provided to him by other people rather than coming up with his own concepts, but that doesn't mean this episode was "bad" so much as it was "not as good as the last improv episode."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Funkmaster General posted:

Rick shot that jellybean. :colbert:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rick really glonks my flurble

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Brightman posted:

Same thing happened with Rixity Minutes, people were very divisive about it at first, then after a rewatch or two most were cool with it.

You do know that this thread also has all the posts from season one in it, so you can see the actual reactions people had to Rixty Minutes instead of going off of hazy year-old recollections:

benzine posted:

That ending! What a great chapter.

:eyepop:

EatinCake posted:

"Last Will and Testimeow: Weekend at Dead Cat Lady's House II" is the hardest I've laughed at an animated comedy since Venture Brothers. God drat this is great.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Jeez this show is really dark. That whole subplot with Jerry and Beth was messed up.

I loving love this show.

Toxxupation posted:

This episode was incredible. It was sci fi moral Orel as poo poo, and I've never seen a show go from absolute rolling on the floor hilarity to deathly serious and sad that not only worked but made tonal sense. I always thought Jurassic Bark as the pinnacle of "sad animation" was kinda overrated (whoop de do his dog died) and I always thought Fry's brother episode was more of a gutpunch but this episode cements in my mind how to do a sad episode of an animated series.

And it was still a riot.

Incredible.

Lugaloco posted:

"It's just called Two Brothers" might have been the hardest I've laughed at a comedy for a long, long time. This show.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This was probably the happiest and sweetest episode of the series so far, I can only assume that means the next episode will be the most horrific and depressing.

Gorilla Salad posted:

This episode was so loving good I may well have lost my goddamn mind.

CoolCab posted:

Possibly my favorite, or up there with Rick Potion #9. I

JT Jag posted:

Best episode so far.

Brightman posted:

This is the best show.

Mo0 posted:

This show is phenomenal.

Nevvy Z posted:

That was some of the best tv I've ever seen.

Rarely does a show do it's best comedy and it's best drama in a single episode.

Frackie Robinson posted:

I don't think I'll laugh at anything on television this year harder than I laughed at Ants-In-His-Eyes Johnson.

Waltzing Along posted:

If that were a concert, I'd be screaming my lungs out. Wow. Speechless.

Eifert Posting posted:

That was awe inspiring.

Irish Joe posted:

Well that was a boring half hour of Family Guy-esque monkey cheese randomness.

Yep, exactly the same reaction.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Symbology is a word, it's the study of symbols

What nerd needs to study those? You hit them and they make a sound, class dismissed.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
wait did you say symbols or cymbals

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

By which you mean a sexual assault was an important plot point in the movie, yes.

Was that the part where Doc tried to get Marty to suck his balls?

Sleeveless posted:

You do know that this thread also has all the posts from season one in it, so you can see the actual reactions people had to Rixty Minutes instead of going off of hazy year-old recollections:

I agree

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The episode should have ended with Jerry getting his dick shot off. So everyone hates him and he still has no dick.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Philip Rivers posted:

Eh, okay, I got some time to kill. (insert many words about Jerry’s dick here)
This is an interesting take on the episode. Here’s another theory that kind of ties into that:

Jerry’s unwillingness to commit to giving up his penis until after it’s too late is symbolic of his inability to get past his own insecurities and truly care about others.

The important thing to remember about Jerry’s penis removal is that it’s entirely his choice. At no point do the aliens threaten to forcibly remove Jerry’s penis or try to trick him into giving up his penis, no matter what’s at stake they’re only going to do this operation if it’s done ethically and with the patients consent. So right from start Jerry has all the power, and how he chooses to use that power is very telling about the kind of person he his.

Jerry takes on a huge responsibility, and he’s unable to handle the sacrifice that responsibility entails. Rather than admit his weakness or ask for help he first tries to weasel out of making an actual choice by manipulating his wife and then again when he tries to publicly discredit the person his penis would save. Both of these things backfire and Jerry is revealed as selfish and insecure. The responsibility he never wanted is taken away, but Jerry STILL doesn’t want to admit he’s weak. Instead he puts his own life at risk and also risks killing the patient he could have saved.

This is all very similar to the way he treats his family. Jerry often feels weak, but rather than accept these feelings and work to improve he instead tries to find ways to feel morally superior or force his will on others to feel strong. This is perfectly encapsulated at the end when he demands his family go to the zoo with him. His family doesn’t want to go to the zoo, way the Hell would they? They’ve just been through an extremely traumatic event that he caused. But Jerry wants to go to the zoo so he tries to get his family to go with him without considering their feelings. The family of course rejects his idea because, much like the alien doctors discovered, his selfishness has proven him unworthy of their respect and they no longer consider he desires meaningful. Because why should they care about his needs and wants if he doesn't care about theirs?

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

story checks out

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

if you didn't laugh at all this episode you are a broken person inside

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:
My favorite bit was the How It's Made parody about the plumbis. They'd already piqued my interest about those after Stealy took one from the office building, but seeing how it's made was delightfully informative. I used to get stoned and watch How It's Made all the time because it's just so mellow and enrapturing, kinda like watching Bob Ross paint. The even tone of the narrator describing the strange process using all those nonsense words was just great, and Rick expressing his own enthusiasm about plumbises (plumbii?) really capped off that whole segment. Loved it.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I hope Typical comes and saves the thread with some fun concept art...

I can kinda see why some people had issue with this episode. One: the recent Mister Poopy Butthole episode was kinda similar in concept, though instead of improv tv, we got [probably] improv sitcom tv fake memories. And secondly, when Morty yells at Summer about her being offended, it's really Morty yelling at the audience members that aren't really getting it, which just makes the problem worse for those that weren't really feeling the episode.

I was a little lukewarm on this episode at first, but it really does seem to get better on a repeat viewing [I bet the animators/artists had a blast with the How It's Made segment]

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Slightly Absurd posted:

I hope Typical comes and saves the thread with some fun concept art...

I can kinda see why some people had issue with this episode. One: the recent Mister Poopy Butthole episode was kinda similar in concept, though instead of improv tv, we got [probably] improv sitcom tv fake memories. And secondly, when Morty yells at Summer about her being offended, it's really Morty yelling at the audience members that aren't really getting it, which just makes the problem worse for those that weren't really feeling the episode.

I was a little lukewarm on this episode at first, but it really does seem to get better on a repeat viewing [I bet the animators/artists had a blast with the How It's Made segment]

Speaking of this, I was sorta disappointed that we didn't get an opportunity to see the sort of Interdimensional TV show Summer would like. I kept hoping they'd turn to something that Morty found uninteresting but Summer really enjoyed, but it never did. :shrug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mutation posted:

This thread needs to get its poo poo together. Get it all together, and put it all in a backpack. All its poo poo, so its together.

Mutation, this is a court order. It says you can't post poo poo anymore.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Grizzlegrax posted:

My favorite bit was the How It's Made parody about the plumbis. They'd already piqued my interest about those after Stealy took one from the office building, but seeing how it's made was delightfully informative. I used to get stoned and watch How It's Made all the time because it's just so mellow and enrapturing, kinda like watching Bob Ross paint. The even tone of the narrator describing the strange process using all those nonsense words was just great, and Rick expressing his own enthusiasm about plumbises (plumbii?) really capped off that whole segment. Loved it.

Hearing Roiland do a spot on impression of the How It's Made narrator put the episode in top tier for me, then again I also watch that show unironically and sober so my tastes may be skewed under the average.

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

Hearing Roiland do a spot on impression of the How It's Made narrator put the episode in top tier for me, then again I also watch that show unironically and sober so my tastes may be skewed under the average.

No way, man. How It's Made is great sober. It's just especially entrancing while intoxicated.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Slightly Absurd posted:

who does that make Rick then

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

Rick is Rick.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jerry, don't show your plumbis to your daughter. She still hasn't gotten over seeing Rick's.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Excelzior posted:

Steven Universe

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just got to the second episode. When I heard the lyrics of Farts song I thought "On this show, that sounds a lot like a call for genocide."

drat it's nice being a genius.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Guy A. Person posted:

Mutation, this is a court order. It says you can't post poo poo anymore.

The biggest question here is why is that poo poo purple? What the heck do you have to eat to turn your poo poo that shade of purple?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The latest episode is disqualified due to lack of Ball Fondlers.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Excelzior posted:

Rick, Morty and Summer are all the internet in that scene, Roiland is just stirring the pot.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The biggest question here is why is that poo poo purple? What the heck do you have to eat to turn your poo poo that shade of purple?

Typical actually answered this I think. IIRC he said they wanted it brown but standards and practices said no.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Last Chance posted:

Typical actually answered this I think. IIRC he said they wanted it brown but standards and practices said no.

Huh, so it's okay to show a guy eating poo poo and for him to say he's eating poo poo as long as it's colored something other than brown?

The more I learn about Standards and Practices the less I understand.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Huh, so it's okay to show a guy eating poo poo and for him to say he's eating poo poo as long as it's colored something other than brown?

Don't think about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I can't help but imagine the Standards and Practices office is literally just that olympics scene day in and day out.

• Locked thread