Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

sushibandit posted:

This video has a guy soloing HoE with a crovel, and during it he explains his take on blocking/parrying as "you could be doing damage instead", which I agree with: link
Like Questioner mentioned:

Questioner86 posted:

Solo scaling: There are some things that only happen on solo to make the game playable without backup. Your syringe is more potent, spawning pace is adjusted, certain ZEDs have their damage output greatly reduced so they don't just combo you into pulp instantly. This is why I always kinda roll my eyes at "SOLO HoE WORLD FIRST ELITE STRATS!" because solo is absolutely the easiest way to play the game even on HoE.
I'd be reluctant to accept any of his strategies on anything other than solo.

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah it's gating content, I never said it wasn't.

Coolguye posted:

But the reality is that those of us who play for love of the game are too few to keep a community vibrant and going. Gated content keeps people, on average, playing longer and keeps them more involved. Full stop. This isn't a discussion, it's a fact borne out by the last three generations of games.
To which you immediately reply with:

Stanley Pain posted:

Levelling is NOT content in KF2. There's nothing to "blow through"
So did you completely misread my post or are you walking back your own words? Because all I ever said is that the leveling stuff gates content and that's a good thing because it keeps people playing longer than otherwise. The issue is that the current gating scheme is punishing rather than rewarding. There is stuff to 'blow through' in that each map and each difficulty plays very differently.

You've also made no secret about the fact that you think gating is bullshit:

Stanley Pain posted:

The solution is to not have a half baked "levelling" system in the first place.

So you're being confusing at best.

Gating content also matters EVEN MORE on co-op games precisely because there isn't an eternal challenge to it (other people), which the Left 4 Dead example supports. I do wish we lived in a world where we could just play games for love of the game but that doesn't work, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I disagree with you on all those points which is fine. The act of levelling is not content, gating content behind levels is dumb, more so in a CO-OP game. Nothing of worth would be lost if they completely got rid of it. People who don't care for it will get around it anyway.

I play all my games because I find them enjoyable, if you don't, please find something else to do :shobon:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Please include a line about David Cameron loving a pig's head for the next character. Thanks in advance.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
As I think more and more about about my pinball wizard idea, make it a level 25 perk for sharpshooter, name it Freischütz, the first six shots during zed time bounces between enemies like this:

You shoot clot 1, raytrace in a 45 degree plane with one of the sides of it aligning with the bullet trajectory(random which side), if there's an enemy in that raytrace, bullet bounces to that one and it does it again for X number of bounces.

Maybe if you shoot a seventh it has a chance to bounce to a friendly :v:

Also if any yurops wants to play:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Crimor/

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 24, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Nalesh posted:

As I think more and more about about my pinball wizard idea, make it a level 25 perk for sharpshooter, name it Freischütz, the first six shots during zed time bounces between enemies like this:

You shoot clot 1, raytrace in a 45 degree plane with one of the sides of it aligning with the bullet trajectory(random which side), if there's an enemy in that raytrace, bullet bounces to that one and it does it again for X number of bounces.

Maybe if you shoot a seventh it has a chance to bounce to a friendly :v:

Also if any yurops wants to play:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Crimor/

Holy poo poo this is such a good idea, and the Freishütz legend is awesome as hell

E: Also my girlfriend just said that Freishütz would make for a sweet game - whole game you get seven bullets, have to decide how to use the first six, with your choices affecting how the devil uses the seventh

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah I disagree with you on all those points which is fine. The act of levelling is not content, gating content behind levels is dumb, more so in a CO-OP game. Nothing of worth would be lost if they completely got rid of it. People who don't care for it will get around it anyway.

I play all my games because I find them enjoyable, if you don't, please find something else to do :shobon:

This is the most salient point for me. If I have all of my perks at 25 and I get a friend to buy the game he'll end up pretty disappointed out of the gate that he doesn't get all the bells and whistles I do, and the carrots - I think we've all mentioned a handful of perks in the Demo tree like siren resistance - are sometimes too important and far away to be comfortable with. Additionally, I'd probably be playing on normal where I'd demolish 99% of the zeds with ease and the level 0 guy would get nothing, adding to their frustration.

Whenever I look at the perk trees & leveling system all I can think about is the Rune system from League of Legends. It's a system designed for a handful of F2P timesink reasons, but ideally it allows for some creativity in how specialized your character is for x, y, z scenarios. The problem is that it is a system almost entirely ignored. Players typically have a rune setup that works for 60% of their roster, another for 20%, and then a third for just loving around with gimmicks. I feel the same way about Perks. I have a setup for medic that I never deviate from because It Just Works. I don't feel like this should be interpreted as an indictment of the medic tree, but an indictment of the system itself. I don't pay attention to it. Every five levels I go "hey that looks good," for whatever class and never think about it again. As a side note, in LoL the rune system was used to gate Jungling making it impossible for low level players. I don't know if that's still the paradigm, though.

And that's what brings me back to the League of Legends point: the levels start to feel like a F2P mechanic at a certain point. Gating content is a necessary part of the experience, I think we all understand that to a degree. Throwing a shitload of mechanics at a player will overwhelm and frustrate players as much as keeping mechanics out of their grasp depending on how the system is implemented. Ain't nobody got time to read a Falcon 4.0 manual just to shoot some zeds. The problem is that as a method of gating content it is suuuuuuper lovely. Just looking through this thread I can't find a single post that doesn't sound like someone being outright punished for playing by the rules of the leveling system. New players can't play with their friends (a deep problem in LoL, too), experienced players are forced to cheat, inexperienced players aren't learning, and bad players get boosted and gently caress over everyone. In short, the fuckin' thing sucks.

The problem with fixing it is that the difficulty tiers are so dependant on the balance of the leveling/perk system while the leveling/perk system doesn't give a gently caress about difficulty. It feels like it should be a two-way street, but it isn't. Think of it this way, a level 0 joining a HOE server affects the server as much as a level 25, right? Zeds get boosted, etc etc etc. The server has no effect on the level 0 because, well to my knowledge, it has no way of telling that it's a level 0 or whatever. Obvious ideas would be: 1) boosting that 0 to 25, overwhelming them with perks and then pissing them off when they leave and are reset; 2) averaging levels to piss everyone off; 3) scaling the server differently so that a level 0 is something like a 6% difficulty increase and not a 20% increase (not real numbers); and 4) not allowing certain level ranges to join servers, splitting communities for the sake of balance. From my idiot-posting-on-the-internet perspective, I don't like any of these ideas. They're either insaaaaanely difficult to balance or outright hostile to the playerbase.

So here comes the pitch: remove leveling, reduce the perks and make them automatically applied to the class, and reduce the difficulty tiers to 1) normal, 2) normal with the special zed abilities for added difficulty but no added health or damage, and 3) stupidly difficult to cater to the grognard crowd. For anyone that has played World of Warcraft recently this system is similar to LFR, normal/heroic, mythic scheme. Keep us engaged with new places to see and new zeds to kill and not the idea that in another 4 hours I could do 1% more damage.

^^^^ get a load of this idiot.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The only real timesink or "point" to playing, right now, is leveling perks and unlocking achievements (unless you set specific goals for yourself such as soloing xyz with weapon abc and perk 123). Whether that should be the case or not is irrelevant.

Removing the only progression mechanic that exists in the game would kill it outright. People would play a few matches on each difficulty with each perk, then most of them would move on to other games and leave KF2 a ghost town. Sure, you'll have the same small group of dedicated players that kept KF1 alive for so long, but you'll lose the big playerbase that makes jumping into a random game doable and keeps people watching/interested/broadcasting on Twitch.

Pure co-op games like KF2 don't have leaderboard or competition systems that games like CS or LoL have. That just doesn't work given the type of game it is.

Adding an infinite (scaling) wave mode could help, adding more content (maps, perks) could help, letting people unlock and run match "modifiers" like changed gravity or random weapon drops only or area-based control (king of the hill) could help, lots of stuff could help.

Don't get me wrong, I loved KF1 and I love KF2. This isn't a complaint about lack of progression on my part, I don't mind. But the large number of drooling idiot masses that any game (including KF2) requires to stay "active" need a sense of progression.

Something I'd be okay with as a "balancing" measure would be downscaling of passive stats to match the "assumed" difficulty level of a given game. Say you're 25, and you join a "normal" game. You'd keep your actively selected perks but your passive stats would be set down to effectively level 5. This would help keep you from completely making GBS threads all over new players (like your example) but still give you the active perk-picks you earned by leveling up. 5 for Normal, 10 for Hard, 17 for Suicidal, and 25 for HoE.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The thing is: even in the best case scenario of having a solid group of friends to play in voicechat with, the time invested into a class means i'm now locked into that role unless i want to convince all my friends to go back to play on normal (or grind on my own, gently caress that f2p mmo poo poo). If the consensus falls on a hard/suicidal game, a large part of options just vanishes for me - and pretty much everyone else. It's loving awful, and worse, boring.

I also play a ton of TF2, where teams generally benefit tremendously from having a healthy mix of classes to cover all roles needed. The idea of "locking" players into a certain style when the situation or current team on the server (or just, you know, wanting some gameplay variety) asks for them to change is horrible. It makes me grow tired of the game much quicker than if i could freely change roles as the team composition or my current interest demands. Right now, unless i play on normal exclusively, i can't, or at least not without being a burden on my teammates. And if i cheated to max level it would trivialize the rest and i couldn't really play with friends i just suggested the game to.

Making a lengthy xp ramp grind to segment your playerbase might make sense for a MMO where customers pay you by the month, but i can't see much benefit in an online game that varies between 2000 and 4000 active players. I'm not even saying to get rid of the difficulty levels - L4D managed to do those modes and modifiers just fine without sectioning players of from each other based on game-time.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 24, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The thing is: even in the best case scenario of having a solid group of friends to play in voicechat with, the time invested into a class means i'm now locked into that role unless i want to convince all my friends to go back to play on normal (or grind on my own, gently caress that f2p mmo poo poo). If the consensus falls on a hard/suicidal game, a large part of options just vanishes for me - and pretty much everyone else. It's loving awful, and worse, boring.

Yeah, this is a legitimate issue.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Speaking of which, wanted to grab the last level on my firebug and it seems like they killed exp maps that spawns stuff in, how sad :C

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Leveling is definitely too onerous right now. You really should be leveling up at minimum once per long game if you don't die. Ideally it should be once per medium game, really. The other problem is that certain perks are just straight out agonizing to level (most notably the medic).

I'd be perfectly fine with just abolishing leveling and going hog wild, I'd still probably play this game like 200 hours even if that happened. But I know from experience that most pubbies wouldn't, so KF2 would probably be dead as poo poo a couple months after release.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Killing floor was still seeing >1k players until recently and KF2 is doing about as well if not slightly better than KF1 ever did. Pretty sure there will be more than enough people playing it ;)

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Propaganda Hour posted:

Additionally, I'd probably be playing on normal where I'd demolish 99% of the zeds with ease and the level 0 guy would get nothing, adding to their frustration.

Lol if you're not going Medic and just sitting in a corner to keep your newbie friend alive while they blunder through everything and gradually murder their way to the end while you dispense ever-grating advice on how to play.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
You don't ever have to grind on normal, hard is very doable with low level/zero perks. Suicidal/HoE kinda needs you alittle perked up since trash is way more aggressive and the big guys are much more durable.

And yup medic is one of the worst for leveling, I wind up leveling it incidentally by including the pistol in my firebug/support/zerker loadouts.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Medic was my quickest class to level other than perhaps firebug. I like their SMG better than any Commando weapon, the shotgun better than all other shotguns save the Combat Shotgun, and the pistol better than every other pistol. I also like the mixed playstyle, where you can fill almost any other role in one class.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Killing floor was still seeing >1k players until recently and KF2 is doing about as well if not slightly better than KF1 ever did. Pretty sure there will be more than enough people playing it ;)

As it stands, I am sure there will be.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
As someone who played KF1 since release, I am deeply saddened by the loss of the end map celebratory dosh throwing. No one does it anymore and there is always someone who races to pick everything up like there is another round coming. Them young wipper snappers don't know how to rightly celebrate ya hear?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
C'mon dosh explosion physics. I want to throw all the dosh on Hans followed by a grenade that results in money and gore flying across the room.

The perfect way to celebrate a win.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The new proper KF2 victory celebration is for everyone to piss all their dosh onto whatever is left of Hans. Anyone who tries to pick it up should be shot on sight.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Require More Fire posted:

Anyone who tries to pick it up should
immediately suffer

Fina posted:

dosh explosion
:colbert:
Time to use that new Flex system for its ultimate purpose!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dosh exploding into millions of physics simulated pieces. Dynamic Dosh System. :getin:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
if there was a button to fling all dosh at once I'd bind it and never look back. As it is, you gotta do mouse scrollwheel stuff to properly dosh shower the map.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Psion posted:

if there was a button to fling all dosh at once I'd bind it and never look back. As it is, you gotta do mouse scrollwheel stuff to properly dosh shower the map.

Make an AutoHotKey script to press B every 10 milliseconds when you hold B.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It must be doable some way, I've seen quite a few people near the end of game who explode into stacks of cash all at once between rounds. Money scattering everywhere.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I just bound chuck dosh to mouse wheel up

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
aah, here we go. Go to your My documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Config\ folder. open up KFInput.ini and find the section [KFGame.KFPlayerInput]

Then right at the end add

Bindings=(Name="<bind key here>",Command="<tossmoney | as many times as you want>",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

for example.

Bindings=(Name="C",Command="tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney | tossmoney",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

now whenever you hit C, you'll spit out 20 stacks of cash at once and they'll all collide with each other and it'll be chaos.. and you'll probably run out of money since that's 1,000 quid per press.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 25, 2015

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Inside Out Mom posted:

I just bound chuck dosh to mouse wheel up

It's the right thing to do

http://i.imgur.com/eXAiOU7.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/sJ5F6it.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/bq9IG2T.gifv
http://gfycat.com/ShockedOpenGibbon
http://gfycat.com/SeriousSelfassuredEquine

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Who wants to kill some floors tonight?

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Steam Profile: DungeonsandDragQueens

bluetail
Jul 8, 2012

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAmVimpdSIE

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Require More Fire posted:

Some screenshots from a goon game last night, showing off the Nvidia Flex stuff as requested:

I'm not cleaning this mess up, gently caress all y'all.

Little bit of Bloat on the ceiling, guys

I think I get why Hans is pissed at us.

HOLY gently caress

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

HOLY gently caress

You have to see it in motion with fluids on, too. It's amazing when someone throws a grenade or a siren screams.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Propaganda Hour posted:

This is the most salient point for me. If I have all of my perks at 25 and I get a friend to buy the game he'll end up pretty disappointed out of the gate that he doesn't get all the bells and whistles I do, and the carrots - I think

^^^^ get a load of this idiot.

Yeah for real. This isn't the reality because you can level one perk in literally 2 mins if you pick the correct leveling server that spawns 1 hp hans groups that don't attack. There is zero gated content, so that was a lot of words alright.

Leveling is there for the autists that enjoy it.

e. still don't understand why this is even a discussion

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So, levelling is a good idea because you can cheat so you don't have to level?

What?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I like watching my numbers increase so I can output more numbers to increase my numbers faster until my numbers are at their maximum.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I like shooting not-zombies

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

dogstile posted:

So, levelling is a good idea because you can cheat so you don't have to level?

What?

No, it's useless to complain about leveling because you don't have to if you don't want to is what I'm saying. Likewise It also doesn't matter if you "cheat" to level because who the gently caress cares. It's there for people that want it and they shouldn't care what other people do. Some don't like it because they claim it ruins their games, but these same people tend to talk about playing hard and maybe suicidal. I only play HOE and it's not a problem, and if someone is ruining a game then suck it up and carry them or vote them out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So yes, you are saying exactly what I said.

Just making sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there any good mechanism to run with goons? The group chat has been empty whenever I checked.