Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

They fit but I can tell that the cases made for the S fit better on the S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

All these reports of credit cards being denied for the Upgrade Plan has me worried.. I'm really hoping my process is quick and I can get on the road back home instead of wasting my time standing around all night empty handed.

Sure enough this loving happened and they played dumb in the store like it's not an issue that others have had. I ran the card twice, declined both times despite my credit score being quite good and having plenty of available funds.

Called discover, they claim no record exists for the credit inquiry. The rep still tried to claim it was my card and not a communication issue. I ended up buying the phone outright, but this is kind of bullshit. The process itself was simple but I'm not really sure where to go from here. lovely process really.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Chortle posted:

Its not just Best Buy :(

This is what I get for living in lovely Canada.

I got this email and I live in America.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure what Apple was thinking by using the vibration motor to emulate a "tap" when you 3d touch. It's the hokiest feedback ever because it doesn't match with what your finger is doing at all.

Other than that I'm digging their pointless tech innovation of 2015.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
One thing that sucks about the blazing fast Touch ID is that it essentially makes the lockscreen nonexistent at all times. How do you expect me to change music while I'm swerving through lanes, Jonathan

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

xzzy posted:

I'm not sure what Apple was thinking by using the vibration motor to emulate a "tap" when you 3d touch. It's the hokiest feedback ever because it doesn't match with what your finger is doing at all.

It's not using the vibration motor, it's a new feedback clicker.

Also it actually owns, bitch.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

One thing that sucks about the blazing fast Touch ID is that it essentially makes the lockscreen nonexistent at all times. How do you expect me to change music while I'm swerving through lanes, Jonathan

That's what Siri is for, plebe :eng101:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Use "Hey Siri"?

:confused:

:v:

"Hey Siri" is really really bad at album names. I stand corrected, just tested and it picked up OK Computer and Bargainville, two it definitely struggled with in the past. Siri is better with iOS9..

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 26, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

aBagorn posted:

That's what Siri is for, plebe :eng101:

it's actually what my apple watch is for

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Touch ID is magic to me as I upgraded from a 5. I went from slowly pecking a PIN to instant springboard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's not using the vibration motor, it's a new feedback clicker.

Also it actually owns, bitch.

Well I think it's stupid and ineffective at its job. :colbert:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Its 'Taptic Engine' like in the Watch. The vibe feels much better than in my iPhone 5, which ... I'm not sure, I remember they switched back and forth between the rotating vibrator and the linear one. Anyhow, it does feel better in my short experience. And I think the taptic feedback for 3D Touch is quite intuitive, since you can feel when you're pushing too hard. There's basically three steps: tap, light push, hard push. It's like a camera shutter but in 3 stages. To be honest I quite enjoy it and find it very intuitive.

As for the lockscreen, that bothers me too since I used to just hit the home button to see that and now I gotta hit the sleep/wake button (is that what it's called?) instead. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

3D touch is super cool though. Do a hard press on the Camera app. It's liek WOAH. Do a hard press on the Notes app. Do a light press on an email in Mail.app and swipe left/right like you're on Tinder. It's seriously cool stuff ...

Takes a bit of getting used to.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Snuffman posted:

Use "Hey Siri"?

:confused:

:v:

"Hey Siri" is really really bad at album names. I stand corrected, just tested and it picked up OK Computer and Bargainville, two it definitely struggled with in the past. Siri is better with iOS9..

CHVRCHES works now too.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

I disagree completely. The feedback feels different than any phone I've had before. It's like tighter or quicker or something. Like it actually clicks or snaps when you activate it.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

CHVRCHES works now too.

How do you pronounce it?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

aBagorn posted:

How do you pronounce it?

Churches.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

aBagorn posted:

How do you pronounce it?

Ch-ver-chez

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

xzzy posted:

Refresher for retiring an iPhone. Am I missing any steps?

1) Disable find my iPhone
2) Log out of iMessages
3) Sign out of iTunes
4) Sign out of iCloud

That's all of them, right?

We seem to be getting to a point where there just needs to be a "nuke everything" button.

If you're moving to a different iPhone, shouldn't settings general, reset, erase all content and settings do the same and get you to a factory state?

If you're moving to an android phone the iMessage step might be necessary but there's also the website for after the fact too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok, so I ordered a 6S+ for my girlfriend. I am porting her number from Verizon to ATT. We got the phone today, I took the SIM out of the 6S+ and popped it into my 6 before turning it on. I put my SIM into the 6S+ and it pulled service immediately. My girlfriend's new SIM in my old 6 isn't pulling a signal, even after I guess it activated and restored her iCloud backup. Her old Verizon 4S is still showing Verizon service and receiving texts and whatnot. Did I do this wrong? Do I have to activate her new SIM with the new 6S+ before putting it into my old 6 or something? Or does it just need to sit there for a while and it'll eventually pull service?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Just take it to AT&T

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Enderzero posted:

Yeah I assumed it was incorrect, but literally nothing came with the phone (except for a pre-installed sim card, but I assume that's for people who bought it and need to set up service) and this is the first time I've ever upgraded from an older iPhone to a new iPhone.

Edit: Bottom marking on sim cards - old one says something like 55.05, new one says 60.10 - anyone know what that represents?

Edit 2: Thanks, everybody.

I've been told on AT&T that VOLTE requires a new SIM. No idea if that applies to T-Mobile too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Her old Verizon 4S is still showing Verizon service and receiving texts and whatnot. Did I do this wrong?
Probably. Turn the Verizon phone off. In the past when I ported the process was:
  • Turn old device off.
  • Turn new device on.
  • Wait 10 minutes.
So yeah I think you messed something up.

noirstronaut posted:

Just take it to AT&T
Alternatively this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just realized that there's an "activate my device" page on the ATT site. I put her SIM in the 6S+ and activated it. Once it pulls service I'll swap them.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can use Siri when the screen is locked due to corporate IT security :(

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

This 'hey Siri' thing owns.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This 'hey Siri' thing owns.

Yeah, it works quite well.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It's great, but I noticed some people waited until they saw the rainbow bar to start talking (i.e. Hey Siri *pause* What's the weather). You can literally just say "hey siri what's the weather" and it will hear it, without waiting for anything to pop up.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 26, 2015

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's great, but I noticed some people waited until they saw the rainbow bar to start talking. You can literally just say "hey siri what's the weather" and it will hear it, without waiting for anything to pop up.

Well poo poo ,I learned something new today!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone discovered any user changeable options or settings for live photos? I like the concept, but I would like to permanently disable sound recording when using them.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

It's kind of dumb that "peeking" into a text, then swiping up and selecting a "custom" reply doesn't actually open the text input field. It just opens the text.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
open your mind instead next time

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
So coming from a 5, this extra mass in my pocket is weird, but holy poo poo this 6s is fast.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So did anyone say if low power mode saved battery life by any other means besides the poo poo you can manually turn off. Like slowing the CPU

Selane
May 19, 2006

Pivo posted:

Its 'Taptic Engine' like in the Watch. The vibe feels much better than in my iPhone 5, which ... I'm not sure, I remember they switched back and forth between the rotating vibrator and the linear one. Anyhow, it does feel better in my short experience. And I think the taptic feedback for 3D Touch is quite intuitive, since you can feel when you're pushing too hard. There's basically three steps: tap, light push, hard push. It's like a camera shutter but in 3 stages. To be honest I quite enjoy it and find it very intuitive.

I like the 'wet fart' vibration feedback you get when you force press an icon for an app that doesn't support it. :v:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Selane posted:

I like the 'wet fart' vibration feedback you get when you force press an icon for an app that doesn't support it. :v:

Yeah, getting a lot of those. D:

Also, seriously the 6s is REALLY freaking fast.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's weird. I never considered my 5s or 6 slow by any stretch and yet this still feels noticeably faster. 3D Touch is really cool and good. I'm reserving judgment on the Taptic Engine until I've had it a bit. Seems nice so far.

Getting the thing was a clusterfuck, though. Turns out AT&T won't let you get the iPhone upgrade program until you're 90 days into your account, so I ended up just buying it outright. At least they were nice enough to get me AT&T unit even though I reserved a T-Mobile one. I don't even know if Band 30 is lit up here.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So did anyone say if low power mode saved battery life by any other means besides the poo poo you can manually turn off. Like slowing the CPU
It slows the CPU, yes.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

mAlfunkti0n posted:

GOOD LORD TOUCH ID IS SO FAST NOW

I can't get used to it yet .. wow it's fast.

I was just going to come in and post this. That and the keyboard mouse pad are my favorite features.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

It's kind of dumb that "peeking" into a text, then swiping up and selecting a "custom" reply doesn't actually open the text input field. It just opens the text.

It opens the input field for me. Peeking into texts is super jerky though, not sure why the framerate takes a dump when you scroll down to the reply menu.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

The extra RAM in the 6S+ completely delivers. My biggest annoyance with the 6 was that Pocketcasts would always get bumped from the now playing screen whenever I paused a podcast and did anything else on my phone. If getting in the car no longer means that the first song in my iTunes library autoplays this purchase is completely justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I'm really rooting for Apple Maps. I like the deep press features when clicking on stores now and I just like it aesthetically. If they can pull together a more useful street level view than Google somehow and improve their navigation slightly, maybe I can abandon Google Maps for good.

Also, gently caress uConnect, I want Carplay.