Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Knightmare posted:

Yeah I just got 1st again but I was pretty sure I wasn't actually 1st this time, so maybe they group people somehow. I've gotten a bunch of mats from it but not enough to promote anyone so they're clogging up inventory space for now.

I've always been in the top 25 players when I tap on the trophy-cup icon on the PH home screen. I also got 8th place for the last competition and I did not play many PVP battles at all. So my guess is that they group people up somehow. I wonder if the only opponents you face are ones from the 25 people on the rank-list; I haven't paid attention to that to check up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just learned about Google cardboard and will be ordering one in the next week or so (after I move). Any worthwhile games for it?

Im also going to get one soon, but from a cereal box.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I just learned about Google cardboard and will be ordering one in the next week or so (after I move). Any worthwhile games for it?

Definitely download the VRSE app, there's some insanely cool stuff shown off there.

I read (and then lost the link) John Carmack has been working on Minecraft for Oculus for some time now. That'll be great on Cardboard one day. I've been learning how to make code do things with it, but does anyone here have a decent idea for a Cardboard game?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I read (and then lost the link) John Carmack has been working on Minecraft for Oculus for some time now.

For some reason, I confused John Carmack with John Romero and got very worried.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

Echophonic posted:

Since it seemed like there were a few folks playing Elemental Wings, I figured I'd post about this game I found.

It's called Dragon Heroes and it's a character-based vertical shooter. Has levels, character and rune gachas, pretty normal F2P progression. You start with a 6*, so you're never hurting for something to actually do levels with. I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

I'm enjoying this. Seems a little crashy fun it's a nice change of pace, and being able to choose your 6* you get after the tutorial without reinstalling endlessly is a loving blessing

edit: gently caress it, made a guild called 'grinders'. Just send a request in game and don't worry about mucking up the thread.

Suicide Pacmen fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 26, 2015

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
from the review it seems Dragon Heroes is a reskin of their existing game Hero Shooters which sucks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FredMSloniker posted:

For some reason, I confused John Carmack with John Romero and got very worried.

"The Ender Dragon is about to make you his (her?) bitch! Suck it down!"

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

EzEight posted:

from the review it seems Dragon Heroes is a reskin of their existing game Hero Shooters which sucks.

If by reskin, they mean also a top down shooter. It feels like more of a refinement. Dragon Heroes is way more polished and user friendly. Hero Shooter has you locked to one axis, has a less robust upgrading system, and kind of a flat visual style.

They share some mechanics like the way the boosts you earn work, but that's just a shmup thing. Definitely feels like a sophomore outing of a similar genre over a reskin.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

"The Ender Dragon is about to make you his (her?) bitch! Suck it down!"

Found the link!

http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/24/how-john-carmack-pestered-microsoft-to-let-him-make-minecraft-for-gear-vr/

Romero's Minecraft could be fun, but I'll take a VR game. Has it been knocked off for Cardboard yet?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Are there any goons in here with a Note5 who are willing to try out Summoner Wars for me. I am referring to the card/board/dice game and not the F2P game. I really like the physical game, but the digital version runs like rear end on my HTC m7. Some reviews say that it crashes on an S6, but I would like to know whether the Note5 has the same issue.

The developers are slow to update it, and they are facing a potential lawsuit and layoffs because of a horrible kickstarter. So I don't have a lot of faith that they will fix it if it is broken.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Suicide Pacmen posted:

I'm enjoying this. Seems a little crashy fun it's a nice change of pace, and being able to choose your 6* you get after the tutorial without reinstalling endlessly is a loving blessing

edit: gently caress it, made a guild called 'grinders'. Just send a request in game and don't worry about mucking up the thread.

Tried to join and can't find it.. I just started today but it seems like a nice time waster.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Does anybody know of any interesting turn based multiplayer games? My brother and I play Super Stickman Golf together and we are looking for another game to try. Something where one player can take a turn and then waits for the other to take his turn.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I'm getting really sick of getting through the tutorial in a game and it revealing itself to have all the fusing and the feeding creatures to each other and the evolving and gumball machine stuff. Card King: Dragon Wars REALLY bothered me because the gameplay is a really cool twist on CCG type games but then whoops have fun grinding for evolution materials. It's not even a greed thing I just want WAY less tapping around menus between me and the actual gameplay

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Nalin posted:

Does anybody know of any interesting turn based multiplayer games? My brother and I play Super Stickman Golf together and we are looking for another game to try. Something where one player can take a turn and then waits for the other to take his turn.

Splendor is awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think Galaxy Trucker might have the turn by turn slow play, too.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Rusty Kettle posted:

...they are facing a potential lawsuit...

I'd love to see a source on that. I backed them on that game and they haven't necessarily done anything that most kickstarters do in regards to delays and whatnot.

To your point, I say just use the refund window to check. It came out of the gate really lovely, but the few updates they've done have helped things immensely.

EDIT: Summoner Wars is a great asynchronous game (assuming it runs for you), as are Ascension and Star Realms.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 27, 2015

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Sproggiwood's on sale on the Google Play store, 50% off/$4.99 in the US. Thinking of picking it up now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

apokaladle posted:

Sproggiwood's on sale on the Google Play store, 50% off/$4.99 in the US. Thinking of picking it up now.

Hot drat, I was saving my way up to :10bux: of survey money for that. Thanks for the heads up!

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm really enjoying Sproggiwood. gently caress those fish though. Bastards.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Konsek posted:

I'm really enjoying Sproggiwood. gently caress those fish though. Bastards.

Hardest part of the game honestly.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Make sure you play Sproggiwood on Savage if you are an experienecd tactical gamer. It's Serious Business(TM)

e: Oh I also have a public opt in beta enabled for it on Play, fixes a bunch of bugs and improves controller/kb support: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.freeholdgames.sproggiwood

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
God drat it I just bought sproggiwold at full price last night.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Rusty Kettle posted:

Are there any goons in here with a Note5 who are willing to try out Summoner Wars for me. I am referring to the card/board/dice game and not the F2P game. I really like the physical game, but the digital version runs like rear end on my HTC m7. Some reviews say that it crashes on an S6, but I would like to know whether the Note5 has the same issue.

The developers are slow to update it, and they are facing a potential lawsuit and layoffs because of a horrible kickstarter. So I don't have a lot of faith that they will fix it if it is broken.

Just tried on my stock Note 5 and couldn't even get it to launch; would just sit there at a black screen when I tried.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

FadedReality posted:

I'm getting really sick of getting through the tutorial in a game and it revealing itself to have all the fusing and the feeding creatures to each other and the evolving and gumball machine stuff. Card King: Dragon Wars REALLY bothered me because the gameplay is a really cool twist on CCG type games but then whoops have fun grinding for evolution materials. It's not even a greed thing I just want WAY less tapping around menus between me and the actual gameplay

Can you think of anything reasonable that could be done to alleviate the pain in Card King, short of ripping the entire system out? (I'm the main programmer working on it and I'd love to hear suggestions to improve it.) Maybe a "take me where I need to go to get this thing" button? Or an automatic popup to consume stuff and evo something as soon as you have the materials?

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

New Leaf posted:

Tried to join and can't find it.. I just started today but it seems like a nice time waster.

Apparently you have to type it in all caps, so you'll have to search for "GRINDERS".

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

apokaladle posted:

Sweet! I was just thinking this morning "Man, at the rate I get surveys lately it's going to take forever to get this last $1.50 to buy Sproggiwood!"

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Trip Report: Kill Me Again

PAD WITH ZOMBIES (SORT OF)

So yes this game was mentioned, and it has enough production value and gameplay that I figured it was worth a review. As mentioned, it cribs a lot from Puzzle & Dragon, namely same 5x6 game board with matching, specifically that it lets you drag a single block around to make tons of matches in one move.

That's about where it ends though. PAD is a very slow paced, thinker game - careful planning of the next, optimal, super-complex move - unlimited time between most moves. This game, though, is very different. You play as some random idiot shooting zombies, and matching fires shots from your gun(s); it's all real time and the zombies are going ape poo poo on you constantly. For someone like me, very much used to 'all Horus all the time', it was jarring as hell.

Think of it less like some kind of complex Ra or Sonia team, and more like some kind of crazy Isis or Bastet team where the mobs swing in real time and will murder your poo poo if you wait more than a few seconds. Also, certain mobs have to be hit only at certain times so you have to hold the match until they flash, requiring you to split your attention between the board and the zombies super fast, and there's consumables etc.

IAP is probably overused, but I'm not super far nor am I especially good at this type of gameplay, so it's hard to hell how necessary it is. They have a lot of IAP cosmetic options for your character, but they're crazy expensive.

The concept is neat, and whatever else was wrong with PAD I still think it's the only cell phone game out there with a high skill ceiling. If anything, this game might be higher, though the basic skills just to get through the newbie game are also much higher.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

Triarii posted:

Can you think of anything reasonable that could be done to alleviate the pain in Card King, short of ripping the entire system out? (I'm the main programmer working on it and I'd love to hear suggestions to improve it.) Maybe a "take me where I need to go to get this thing" button? Or an automatic popup to consume stuff and evo something as soon as you have the materials?

I'd love a 'where can I get this' pop-up or something like that.

Also, lower the card costs. Having several 4* and 5* monsters just sitting around unusable for the foreseeable future is pretty demotivating in terms of game play. I barely play anymore because of this.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Coldbird posted:

So yes this game was mentioned, and it has enough production value and gameplay that I figured it was worth a review. As mentioned, it cribs a lot from Puzzle & Dragon, namely same 5x6 game board with matching, specifically that it lets you drag a single block around to make tons of matches in one move.

That's about where it ends though. PAD is a very slow paced, thinker game - careful planning of the next, optimal, super-complex move - unlimited time between most moves. This game, though, is very different. You play as some random idiot shooting zombies, and matching fires shots from your gun(s); it's all real time and the zombies are going ape poo poo on you constantly. For someone like me, very much used to 'all Horus all the time', it was jarring as hell.

Think of it less like some kind of complex Ra or Sonia team, and more like some kind of crazy Isis or Bastet team where the mobs swing in real time and will murder your poo poo if you wait more than a few seconds. Also, certain mobs have to be hit only at certain times so you have to hold the match until they flash, requiring you to split your attention between the board and the zombies super fast, and there's consumables etc.

IAP is probably overused, but I'm not super far nor am I especially good at this type of gameplay, so it's hard to hell how necessary it is. They have a lot of IAP cosmetic options for your character, but they're crazy expensive.

The concept is neat, and whatever else was wrong with PAD I still think it's the only cell phone game out there with a high skill ceiling. If anything, this game might be higher, though the basic skills just to get through the newbie game are also much higher.

I'm liking it so far. It really is a much different beast than PAD. I haven't hit a pay wall yet and I just started chapter 4. If something seems too hard, hire a merc. It's worth the money and it seems like the game is generous with the silver coins.

I like the combo system. It has special moves that you do with certain match combos... So if I match 3 sets of 3 I do some wild kick flip. Pretty cool.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Triarii posted:

It's not an inherently BAD mechanic layer and obviously a super lucrative way to do F2P, it's that the mechanic itself is stale as hell for me personally. I played nothing but PAD on my old iPad for two months straight. Fast forward two years and almost every F2P game I try has the evolution and rarity star stuff. Card King, Spellstone, Earthcore, Gems of War, Poker Heroes, Chain Chronicle, Pocket Knights, Summoners War, Soccer Spirits, Dragon Coins, Pocket Mine 2, etc etc etc

I only call out Card King specifically because the gameplay itself is a lot of fun.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Looking for allies for poker heroes. Very fun so far

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Looking for allies for poker heroes. Very fun so far

i made a thing for this

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yo, enter your silly friend code garbage here: Poker Heroes Goons

You can also view the spreadsheet for it to get everyone else's numbers

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

overseer07 posted:

I'd love a 'where can I get this' pop-up or something like that.

Also, lower the card costs. Having several 4* and 5* monsters just sitting around unusable for the foreseeable future is pretty demotivating in terms of game play. I barely play anymore because of this.

That's definitely something we're still tinkering with. "How long does it take until you can use a team of all 5* monsters?" is a question we haven't settled yet.

FadedReality posted:

It's not an inherently BAD mechanic layer and obviously a super lucrative way to do F2P, it's that the mechanic itself is stale as hell for me personally. I played nothing but PAD on my old iPad for two months straight. Fast forward two years and almost every F2P game I try has the evolution and rarity star stuff. Card King, Spellstone, Earthcore, Gems of War, Poker Heroes, Chain Chronicle, Pocket Knights, Summoners War, Soccer Spirits, Dragon Coins, Pocket Mine 2, etc etc etc

I only call out Card King specifically because the gameplay itself is a lot of fun.

There are basically two categories of features in the game: "things we thought would make a fun game" and "things we were contractually obligated to include". (You can guess which category those mechanics fall into.) We're doing our best to keep the latter things from getting in the way of the former things for the players who might actually enjoy the game.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Coldbird posted:

This game seems cool but I keep getting connectivity issues and now the campaign map disappeared and replaced chapter 2 with some Korean stuff. Hopefully they fix it soon, I want to slice up zombies with a scantily clad mercenary.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Coldbird posted:

I'm liking it so far. There doesn't really seem to be anything overly worth buying (also a bit desperate in their thirst for social media connections), and I wouldn't mind tossing them some money. Solid production values, and a lot of little things to fiddle with and optimize. Gold bars seem to be what you want for the good stuff, and from what I can see so far, seem best spent on stat points if you've got them.

Combat lets you set up combos in advance, and sit on powerups or special configurations that I could see being really interesting late game if done right.

There's a guild system that seems to gate content and give some boosts (lower right of the home screen, with a "Beta" label)

Anyone got one going? Looks like it's 250k to start, which isn't too bad as I seem to have around 75k at level 14 after a couple days of randomly playing.

Edit: Farming the 2-10 boss for the set accessory drop (which didn't - tried the 5 gold "try again" option once, which seems to keep your current loot and give you a 50% shot at the other two). After ~10 kills it gave me a Special Monsterpedia entry for the boss and the set Rifle. Good enough!

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 29, 2015

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i made a thing for this

sweet thanks

As someone who completely hates most "colour" systems fire>water>earth>wind>magenta>fuckyoucolourblindpeople I actually really like Poker Heroes.
Yes they got that sorta combo system but poo poo it is literally paper rock scissors. No tiny coloured icon that looks like it could be one of a couple different options.
I'm enjoying the game and the combo system doesn't make me rage

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, Kill Me Again is a surprising amount of fun. Puzzle and Dragons, but weapons and armor instead of monsters. Zombies are constantly walking/running/scurrying towards you, and you make as many matches as you can using the PAD orb system, and "hold" the match until the zombie is next to you, preferable up until he is about to attack, where you can let go and get a critical hit. Matching 4 or more gets you special orbs that have you back away or heal or swing your sword forward. No paywalls yet.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Is there a Pokemon game for Android? My daughter had become interested in it and I couldn't find anything other than card games.

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

fondue posted:

Is there a Pokemon game for Android? My daughter had become interested in it and I couldn't find anything other than card games.

the closest thing I could think of that's not an emulator.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ilmfinity.evocreo.main.android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

fondue posted:

There's one Offical Pokémon game: Pokémon Shuffle Mobile, a phone version of the 3DS game. It has IAP, but they can be ignored.

Beyond that, there's nothing official yet. Pokémon Go will be coming out next year. Back in March, Nintendo announced they were teaming up with DeNA to make mobile games, with all existing Nintendo IPs included in the deal, so that might also bring a Pokémon game.