Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

NC-17 posted:

His body shuddered

Peter King, is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

I love Peyton and will fight to the death that he's the best quarterback ever, but he's done. Even on the long completions, he underthrew them and the receivers had to stop and go up for jump balls that should have been in-stride touchdowns.

So in the final stages of his precipitous decline he's still andy dalton?

that's not bad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dattserberg posted:

I will die before the Lions appear in a Super Bowl.

I'm repeating myself, but if they were going to make any noise in the playoffs then last year was their year to do it. If/when they go back it will be with a lot of different dudes. Caldwell is obviously not as good as people were led to believe, and while I love Stafford his ceiling is to be a lovely Brett Favre. After the talk in previous years of building a team's foundations in its line play, both of those units look like crap too.

I was really optimistic that things would be different when WCF bit it but now I'm starting to wonder if the Ford family itself is cursed. Which would be too bad, I kind of want to see how Bill Jr runs the team unless it would just be more of the same poo poo. Can they trade the Lions straight up to the Illitches for the Tigers?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Keep in mind that it's still September, Peyton's best month of the year.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

GaussianCopula posted:

Keep in mind that it's still September, Peyton's best month of the year.

Yeah we're seeing Peyton playing like week 14 in week 3. It's not looking good.

A lot of his success right now is the fact that he is just so goddamned smart. He is physically not the quarterback he was, but he still is mentally. Most of his success right now is from being smart and reading defense.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nail Rat posted:

I love Peyton and will fight to the death that he's the best quarterback ever, but he's done. Even on the long completions, he underthrew them and the receivers had to stop and go up for jump balls that should have been in-stride touchdowns.

You never saw that poo poo five or six years ago(or three years ago for that matter), he would have just connected for an easy 60 yard TD.

I know a lot of Pats fans are cheerleading Peyton's decline, but I'm not one of them. Partly that's because Brady is old as poo poo himself, but mostly because I've always liked watching him do cool poo poo when it wasn't against my team, which is the vast majority of the time in any given year.

But man, his arm looks like poo poo now. He can still throw far, sure - if he winds up and puts his whole body into it, which usually makes his accuracy go completely in the toilet. It also extends his release into Tebow-esque time dilation, which behind that lovely line is a bad formula.

It IS kind of funny how Kubiak and Elway's master plan the first 2 games of trying to party like it's 1998 to take the load off Peyton... just got the poo poo beat out of Peyton while the scoring went into the gutter. Gee, with no lead back worthy of the title and no run blocking maybe that's a poo poo plan guys, I dunno!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Last night's lunar eclipse was pretty majestic. It's pretty surreal to think that only 66 years after powered flight was invented, we stood on the loving moon.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The fact Peyton can play like this when you can tell he's about at the end of his rope physically is a testament to just how good the guy is. In my opinion he is the best QB to have ever played.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

Peter King, is that you?

He's busy claiming the Patriots are talking about going undefeated and interviewing Richie Incognito today.

MMQB is aggressively terrible today, I'd recommend avoiding it even if you are okay with Peter King normally!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm just waiting to see how PFF and FO poo poo on Cam today.

Rotoworld did it by emphasizing New Orleans pass rush lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

C-Euro posted:

I'm repeating myself, but if they were going to make any noise in the playoffs then last year was their year to do it. If/when they go back it will be with a lot of different dudes. Caldwell is obviously not as good as people were led to believe, and while I love Stafford his ceiling is to be a lovely Brett Favre.

Nobody should ever have been led to believe that Caldwell was anything other than a Fabian minded guy who constantly reaffirms that everything is fine while the world burns down around him. He made some awful decisions last season and the Lions went to the playoffs last year despite him, not because of him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm just waiting to see how PFF and FO poo poo on Cam today.

Rotoworld did it by emphasizing New Orleans pass rush lol

Mike Tanier compared him to Spongebob this morning:

quote:

Panthers 27, Saints 22: "Cam Newton is the NFL's SpongeBob: competent, hardworking and effective at what he does best, but a little too upbeat, goofy and annoying to be taken seriously even by referees."

(That makes Jerry Richardson penny-pinching Mr. Krabs, and referee Ed Hochuli—who told Newton he was "not old enough" to draw a personal foul when hit out of bounds—a crotchety old Squidward. Actually, when it comes to Newton, most of the Internet is a crotchety old Squidward.)

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
My two favorite sports teams are contending with Peyton and Tim Duncan. Their proximity to their mortality gives them strength you will never know.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Kalli posted:

He's busy claiming the Patriots are talking about going undefeated and interviewing Richie Incognito today.

MMQB is aggressively terrible today, I'd recommend avoiding it even if you are okay with Peter King normally!

Tbh, I like Peter King, who says the Bengals are good, a lot better than Mike Tanier, who says the Bengals are bad.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Tanier is Cam's biggest defender among the Serious Internet Sports Opinion Makers.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kalli posted:

Sean Payton is Plankton.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

NC-17 posted:

Nobody should ever have been led to believe that Caldwell was anything other than a Fabian minded guy who constantly reaffirms that everything is fine while the world burns down around him. He made some awful decisions last season and the Lions went to the playoffs last year despite him, not because of him.

Well yeah, but in the GDT last night someone asked if the Caldwell honeymoon was over now and I wasn't even aware that there was one. If there was then it definitely ended after last season, not last night.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

C-Euro posted:

I was really optimistic that things would be different when WCF bit it but now I'm starting to wonder if the Ford family itself is cursed. Which would be too bad, I kind of want to see how Bill Jr runs the team unless it would just be more of the same poo poo. Can they trade the Lions straight up to the Illitches for the Tigers?

I wish Little Ceasers pizza would get popular again and the Illitch family could buy the Lions and do something with that loving team :smith:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Bob Morales posted:

I wish Little Ceasers pizza would get popular again and the Illitch family could buy the Lions and do something with that loving team :smith:

I think the death of K-Mart really screwed them over

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I know a lot of Pats fans are cheerleading Peyton's decline, but I'm not one of them. Partly that's because Brady is old as poo poo himself, but mostly because I've always liked watching him do cool poo poo when it wasn't against my team, which is the vast majority of the time in any given year.

But man, his arm looks like poo poo now. He can still throw far, sure - if he winds up and puts his whole body into it, which usually makes his accuracy go completely in the toilet. It also extends his release into Tebow-esque time dilation, which behind that lovely line is a bad formula.

It IS kind of funny how Kubiak and Elway's master plan the first 2 games of trying to party like it's 1998 to take the load off Peyton... just got the poo poo beat out of Peyton while the scoring went into the gutter. Gee, with no lead back worthy of the title and no run blocking maybe that's a poo poo plan guys, I dunno!

I despised Petyon up until I got to watch him get blown out in the Super Bowl. You know when people are like "relax dude it's just a game", I was on the hateful end of that toward Peyton. Like truly genuinely hated him with all my heart. But Jesus Christ I hate seeing him play like this. It's not even fun to hate him anymore, I just feel bad, and that kind of makes me hate him a little bit. I will be furious if he somehow ends up going deep in the playoffs but I can't lie, I'm kind of rooting for him to continue doing what he's done his entire career - have a good regular season and then collapse when it really matters. Let me hate you, Petyon. Please.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Okay, just saw this, but apparently the Cowboys went from 100+ rushing yards in the first half, then 5 rushes for -1 yards in the 2nd half?

What the gently caress Cowboys?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

Okay, just saw this, but apparently the Cowboys went from 100+ rushing yards in the first half, then 5 rushes for -1 yards in the 2nd half?

What the gently caress Cowboys?

The other team realized that no plays were happening past the 10 yard line and just piled up in there I assume. Also the Cowboys running backs are actually kind of bad.

Which is funny because :420: actually has an arm and can physically throw far, even though he's dumb and bad overall, so you'd think they'd try some of that but nope.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Blotto Skorzany posted:

I think the death of K-Mart really screwed them over

I don't know, in Phoenix it seems like there's a Little Caesars on every corner, and my wife's family loves the place. It definitely has its following regardless of if the pizza is basically cheese and marinara-flavored cardboard.

Then again Pizza Patron is popping up everywhere now and they take pesos apparently so we'll see how Little Caesars handles it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Whats up with K-Marts anyways, they are still around but when you go inside the shelves are bare

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

Whats up with K-Marts anyways, they are still around but when you go inside the shelves are bare

Basically a lot of them have absurd leases where it will cost more money to close them then keep them open and barely selling anything.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Derek Carr has more 300+ yard passing games this season than Alex Smith has in his entire career :greenangel:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Basically a lot of them have absurd leases where it will cost more money to close them then keep them open and barely selling anything.

Yup. There's one in the twin cities standing in the way of some redevelopment becuase the lease goes until 2053.

Nov 6, 2002

Pron on VHS posted:

They're owned by Sears and Sears is loving broke. All the Kmart stores are in terrible shape because Sears doesn't even have enough money to maintain their own brand.

The last Kmart I went into the whole store smelled of mildew, they had merchandise just stacked in the aisles, there were birds flying around the store and the counters at the checkout had their finishes completely worn down to raw wood.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

Yup. There's one in the twin cities standing in the way of some redevelopment becuase the lease goes until 2053.

Yeah, kind of funny because I remember as a kid when K-mart was the big conglomerate moving in and putting out the local chains like Caldor, Ames and Bradlees out of business.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The cardinals have scored the most points and have a point differential of +77.

The Patriots are 7 points behind them in scoring but are 28 points behind in point differential.

Cardinals good y'all.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

NC-17 posted:

The last Kmart I went into the whole store smelled of mildew, they had merchandise just stacked in the aisles, there were birds flying around the store and the counters at the checkout had their finishes completely worn down to raw wood.

Like one of those Discovery Channel "After People" shows

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

Derek Carr has more 300+ yard passing games this season than Alex Smith has in his entire career :greenangel:

In his career with the Chiefs, he has 4 overall in the regular season.

Still, Alex...drat. Throw a ball.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They really are. Wish the Pats played them this year, because that'd probably be the game of the year.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

TubeStank posted:

The Patriots are 7 points behind them in scoring but are 28 points behind in point differential.

Cardinals good y'all.

Don't fret, Green Bay will have a chance to take the lead next week.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

They really are. Wish the Pats played them this year, because that'd probably be the game of the year.

Levi

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

NC-17 posted:

They're owned by Sears and Sears is loving broke. All the Kmart stores are in terrible shape because Sears doesn't even have enough money to maintain their own brand.

Other way around.

here you go, this article pretty much explains it

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles

quote:

Although Lampert is notoriously media-averse, he agreed to answer questions about Sears’s organizational model via e-mail. “Decentralized systems and structures work better than centralized ones because they produce better information over time,” Lampert writes. “The downside is that, to some, it appears messier than centralized systems.” Lampert adds that the structure enables him to evaluate the individual parts of Sears, so he can collect “significantly better information and drive decision-making and accountability at a more appropriate level.”

Lampert created the model because he wanted deeper data, which he could use to analyze the company’s assets. It’s why he hired Paul DePodesta, the Harvard-educated statistician immortalized by Michael Lewis in his book Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game, to join Sears’s board. He wanted to use nontraditional metrics to gain an edge, like DePodesta did for the Oakland Athletics in Moneyball and is trying to repeat in his current job with the New York Mets. Only so far, Lampert’s experiment resembles a different book: The Hunger Games.

basically an Ayn Rand worshipper who got lucky playing the markets thought he could run sears better by "creating competition" and it has failed hilariously. also he's incompetent.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

TubeStank posted:

Cardinals good y'all.

The record of the teams they've played are 1-8, so my expectations are slightly tempered, but... they've destroyed those teams like a great team would.

Probably not as good as they've shown so far, but probably still really good.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
so that's what happened to DePodesta

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

sean10mm posted:

The other team realized that no plays were happening past the 10 yard line and just piled up in there I assume. Also the Cowboys running backs are actually kind of bad.

Which is funny because :420: actually has an arm and can physically throw far, even though he's dumb and bad overall, so you'd think they'd try some of that but nope.

Well the cowboys biggest deep threat is currently recovering from a broken foot. The next best two receivers Witten and Beasley aren't known for beating people deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

The record of the teams they've played are 1-8, so my expectations are slightly tempered, but... they've destroyed those teams like a great team would.

Probably not as good as they've shown so far, but probably still really good.

None of the undefeated teams in the NFC have played anyone good.

Of the four, Arizona looks to be the best.

• Locked thread