Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

il_cornuto posted:

Did anyone like BTBAM's latest? I don't mind the lack of heaviness at all but it just seemed kind of boring and poorly written.

I think it went too far into prog land and forgot some of the metal but I still like it. I don't love it like I did Parallax II but I'm still looking forward to the concert. It's good, just not great like P2 and TGM and Colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

Did anyone like BTBAM's latest? I don't mind the lack of heaviness at all but it just seemed kind of boring and poorly written.

I like every BTBAM album but I haven't been in love with anything they've done since The Great Misdirect. Full prog BTBAM just isn't as cool or fun as prog metalcore BTBAM.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I loved it and will hopefully be making the trek from raleigh to charlotte for that show since I have friends there (they don't care about metal but but they have a spare room).

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like every BTBAM album but I haven't been in love with anything they've done since The Great Misdirect. Full prog BTBAM just isn't as cool or fun as prog metalcore BTBAM.

TGM is probably my favorite of their albums, but did you not enjoy P2? I thought it was along a lot of the same lines just with some more different poo poo here and there and with more songs. Oh well, everyone's different.

e: also god drat I've been listening to a whole lot of Ne Obliviscaris lately. I loving love Citadel. Especially Blackholes. Song of the year 2014.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 3, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Like I said, I enjoy all of them, just not as much as the run from Alaska to TGM.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

P2 is my favourite, but I like them all since Alaska except coma eclipse which I've listened through 6 times without anything sticking. Good to see other people like it though, hopefully I'll like the next one more.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Is anyone talking about the new faceless song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Zj9LpJK8Y

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Giblet Plus! posted:

Is anyone talking about the new faceless song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Zj9LpJK8Y

drat, I like this!

e:VVV It's easily top 5 for me, I'm just not sure where to put it. This has been a good year.
#1 obviously is In Times, because yeah Enslaved.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 3, 2015

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Coma Ecliptic is easily my favorite album this year but I'm a pretty huge BTBAM nerd so it comes with the territory

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Remember when Dave ruined Rust In Peace with his lovely remasters? Yeah, he ruined Rust In Peace.

This new song is boring as gently caress.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Remember when Dave ruined Rust In Peace with his lovely remasters? Yeah, he ruined Rust In Peace.

This new song is boring as gently caress.

He ruined almost the entire megadeth discography, in fact.

gently caress Dave. He's destroyed his own legacy, which would have been good even if we did make snide jokes about how crappy Risk was.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

it just seemed kind of boring and poorly written.

That's how I feel about everything they've ever done.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I dunno man. I listened to the entirety of the remasted RiP last night and it was pretty good.

Then again I have proven several times my opinions on Megadeth are very different from the norm.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
edit: wrong thread

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's a track from the upcoming full-length Abyssus album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKTRuaWPJCg

I'm not an enormous fan of the vocals, but otherwise this is pretty solid.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Metal Threat Fest in Chicago just announced another band today putting the fest at

Abigail
Absu
At War
Bulldozer
Destructor
Exciter
Inquisition

with 8 more to be announced. Sooo glad I'm close.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nerve posted:

Metal Threat Fest in Chicago just announced another band today putting the fest at

Abigail
Absu
At War
Bulldozer
Destructor
Exciter
Inquisition

Whoa, I've never heard of this

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
https://www.facebook.com/events/1072555889438681/1122552957772307/

Here's the event page.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I get to see negura bunget tomorrow awwww yeeee

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

caiman posted:

Here's a track from the upcoming full-length Abyssus album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKTRuaWPJCg

I'm not an enormous fan of the vocals, but otherwise this is pretty solid.

Nice, major John Tardy vibes from the vocalist there.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

nerve posted:

Abigail
Absu
At War
Bulldozer
Destructor
Exciter
Inquisition

gently caress, why can't I live near Chicago. :(

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

so I don't think I've ever heard drumming quite like this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOhaL17dAxk

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Varg posted:

so I don't think I've ever heard drumming quite like this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOhaL17dAxk

That's pretty insane.

e: pretty solid song too.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

symbolic posted:

I dunno man. I listened to the entirety of the remasted RiP last night and it was pretty good.

Then again I have proven several times my opinions on Megadeth are very different from the norm.

Gotta admit it was a ballsy move to have Randy Savage do the vocal overdubs on the call and response part of Five Magics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkZoeK6qpG8&t=243s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q&t=14s

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 4, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hey there, any recommendations for recent stuff from the past few years to check out? I feel like I haven't discovered a lot of new bands up my alley lately. Recent ones that come to mind I love are Cauldron, Enforcer, Omnium Gatherum, and Gloryhammer. And I love the classics, Motorhead is my favorite band overall.

So pretty much, heavy metal, speed metal, power metal, thrash, and melodic death metal recommendations! And maybe some folk metal/viking metal in there too. I like a good hook, I'm one of those melodic metal folks, or at least a great thrashy riff a'la Overkill or Megadeth. Domo arigato!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Hey there, any recommendations for recent stuff from the past few years to check out? I feel like I haven't discovered a lot of new bands up my alley lately. Recent ones that come to mind I love are Cauldron, Enforcer, Omnium Gatherum, and Gloryhammer. And I love the classics, Motorhead is my favorite band overall.

So pretty much, heavy metal, speed metal, power metal, thrash, and melodic death metal recommendations! And maybe some folk metal/viking metal in there too. I like a good hook, I'm one of those melodic metal folks, or at least a great thrashy liff a'la Overkill or Megadeth. Domo arigato!
Very wide criteria. For classic heavy metal I recommend Skullfist, White Wizzard, Bullet, and Cellador. For thrash metal there's Lost Society, Gama Bomb, Violator, Hyades, Iron Reagan, Warbringer, and Evile.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

symbolic posted:

Very wide criteria. For classic heavy metal I recommend Skullfist, White Wizzard, Bullet, and Cellador. For thrash metal there's Lost Society, Gama Bomb, Violator, Hyades, Iron Reagan, Warbringer, and Evile.

Wider is better they say, ideally I get 100 bands recommended to me. I'll check all those out, thanks! I'm a fan of White Wizzard (and their offshoot Holy Grail) and a couple of those bands already too.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Wider is better they say, ideally I get 100 bands recommended to me. I'll check all those out, thanks! I'm a fan of White Wizzard (and their offshoot Holy Grail) and a couple of those bands already too.
Yeah White Wizzard is kickass even if they dumped their original vocalist for an inferior one.

Listening to Warbringer's War Without End right now if you want to start there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

symbolic posted:

Yeah White Wizzard is kickass even if they dumped their original vocalist for an inferior one.

Listening to Warbringer's War Without End right now if you want to start there.

I'll be seeing Warbringer in January since they're playing with Enforcer and Cauldron, so this'll be good homework too.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

I'll be seeing Warbringer in January since they're playing with Enforcer and Cauldron, so this'll be good homework too.
gently caress that sounds like a good concert. It's a shame the nearest showdate to me is an hour or two away and I don't drive.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fenrir posted:

I think it went too far into prog land and forgot some of the metal but I still like it.

Same. I'm not big on their older deathcore-y stuff but middle to late material is really good. It's kind of a balance with them though. Not my favorite of the year but enjoyable.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm on my phone but google "malevolent creation racist" or "malevolent creation homophobia." We're used to European style fascism in the metal thread but MC are good old fashioned redneck dipshits

Phil's made up run-in with a black would-be stick-up boy that he shot and killed at a gas station while ironically getting chocolate milk and then having his account of events publicly disputed by the police is one of the funniest things in the history of all music.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Everyone in this thread needs to go see Deathgasm.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

Everyone in this thread needs to go see Deathgasm.
There's some decent to good local bands from here in the soundtrack but it sounded really lame and tongue in cheek in a bad way so I didn't see it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's basically Evild Dead if Evil Dead was a love letter to teenage metal heads. My friend and I laughed our asses off.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Heavy Metal posted:

So pretty much, heavy metal, speed metal, power metal, thrash, and melodic death metal recommendations! And maybe some folk metal/viking metal in there too. I like a good hook, I'm one of those melodic metal folks, or at least a great thrashy riff a'la Overkill or Megadeth. Domo arigato!

I've been mentioning some of these bands a lot lately, but they're all basically spot-on for what you're asking for so here goes again:

Monument are some really strong Iron Maiden worship at times, but drat if their debut album isn't one of my favourite heavy metal albums in years. Peter Ellis (ex White Wizzard) on vocals.

Rocka Rollas have a drat stupid band name, but this is some excellent speedy guitar-driven power metal. Productive bunch too, they just released their fourth album since 2011. Fifth, if you count the EP.

Unleash the Archers are a bit more modern power metal. Me and some others here have been going a little gaga over their awesome latest album. Their vocalist is awesome.

Angel of Sodom are a new thrash band who just released their debut that kicks a dozen kinds of rear end. (what the hell is up with this Mad Max crap)

Blazon Stone are a Running Wild tribute band who play their own songs instead of covers. I'm not even joking. Led by the same guy who's behind Rocka Rollas.

Speedtrap play some of the best speed metal you'll have heard in a while. Not much else to say except "get both albums".

Visigoth play some kickass heavy metal/US power metal.

And just to touch on melodic death for completeness' sake, Whispered's second album from 2014 is some grade A+ melodeath, kinda like if Children of Bodom and Ensiferum had a baby that was raised by samurai.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The newest Visigoth is definitely good as gently caress, so echoing that recommendation, and Whispered is pretty great too.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Grand Magus, Portrait, the two most recent Satan albums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

Grand Magus, Portrait, the two most recent Satan albums.

The new Satan is so awesome. It's unreal how good their comeback has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I'm seeing Monstrosity live tonight. I am a happy man