Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
You can't have a big game without some kind of (un)official guide, so have three humongous volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

African AIDS cum posted:

Are they gonna make 3DS games for normies anymore or is it just fanservice stuff for weird people and expensive collectors editions of things to be hoarded and sold on ebay for big markup? Thoughts on this?

if you've only just got a 3ds there's a sizable library of cool and good games for both it and the ds, which is nice because the only new 3ds title i care about is releasing next year. if not, yeah basically

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
In other Triforce Heroes news, I've been hearing rumors that the game's online play will be region locked. A google search led me to NeoGaf, and they led me here.

quote:

If you have a strong connection, it plays beautifully. If you have rubbish internet, like me, it slows down the game to a horrible crawl for everyone to keep everything in sync. So, get on a good connection before you play I guess.

Also, you can only play with people on the same region. That should help with latency issues, but is a shame if you wanted to play with friends from around the world.
If that's the case, then it went from a 'probably would buy' to a 'will not buy' in my eyes, which is a shame, since it looked very fun.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Man, Happy Home Designer is definitely a game you should do research on before buying. I love the franchise, but i´m not hugely creative so i'm not getting a whole lot out of the game. It also has this weird issue where I have too much AND not enough choice at once for it to be practical.

I do hope they roll alot of the stuff they put into this one into the next though. Half space furniture movement, window and door dressing, ceiling furniture and front yard design are all super cool things that need to stay in. I wouldn't mind them keeping some of the buildings in town for the main street portion of the next game either.

That and the metric poo poo ton of new furniture introduced in this game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rexroom posted:

You can't have a big game without some kind of (un)official guide, so have three humongous volumes.

How many trees does Japan kill each year?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Abu Dave posted:

Playstation 1 emulation is now working on all 3DS models.

Anyone? Because a google search is just returning 3 year old results

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Fix posted:

After not enjoying it as much on the WiiU, I re-purchased Shovel Knight on the 3DS, and I gotta say it is the superior experience. It feels so much more responsive and proper. The WiiU version always felt muddy to me, but this plays great!

Probably input lag on your TV.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Granbar posted:

Probably input lag on your TV.

Anything that can be done about that?

edit: Never mind, should have asked Google that in the first place.

edit2: I love Shovel Knight

It is a cool and good game.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 4, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Fix posted:

Anything that can be done about that?

edit: Never mind, should have asked Google that in the first place.

edit2: I love Shovel Knight

It is a cool and good game.

Shovel Knight 3DS best Shovel Knight. The theme is also great.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

3D Picross 2 thoughts: it's almost exactly like the original except so much better for people who find Picross games easy.

There's the new mechanic of red/blue blocks which is okay but ultimately just gives you a new bag of logic patterns you need to learn. Much more significant, though, is that they added difficulty levels which control how many hints you get on any given puzzle. In addition to the default, which is similar to the original 3D Picross, there's an easy level that basically gives the puzzle away, as well as a tough level that limits hints to the bare minimum you need in order to solve the puzzle without guessing. That makes even the smallest, simplest puzzles in the game somewhat challenging, and the larger ones very much so. It also doubles the points you get for completing puzzles, which are used to unlock more puzzles, so if you play on tough you can get to late game puzzles really quickly. There are also time-based sections which can get tough, though the time limit was removed from most of the game.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If it's what I think it is (I could be wrong and there might have been some huge advance?), they started porting Retroarch to the 3DS, which includes a core for PSX emulation. Someone posted a video of FF7 running badly on it about a week ago I think.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So is SNES emulation and GBA emulation actually feasible on this now? Would've preferred to turn the Vita into the emulation machine but this is cool also

Edit: Wait it turns out Vita homebrew is much further along than I thought

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 4, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

gameface posted:

In other Triforce Heroes news, I've been hearing rumors that the game's online play will be region locked. A google search led me to NeoGaf, and they led me here.

If that's the case, then it went from a 'probably would buy' to a 'will not buy' in my eyes, which is a shame, since it looked very fun.

What's the big deal? Who cares if you can't play with japanese people.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

What's the big deal? Who cares if you can't play with japanese people.

Probably a big deal for EU/US people who want to play with eachother.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Probably a big deal for EU/US people who want to play with eachother.

If you're nuts and consider Europeans as friends, sure.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I would imagine it will also take a lot longer to find matches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gameface posted:

It's probably because they can't fudge internet play as easily as they can for Splatoon or Mario Kart. Watching the previews it seems like a lot of stuff is dependent on coordinated precision and timing, which is something you just can't do reliably with several seconds of latency bouncing three ways around the world.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So is SNES emulation and GBA emulation actually feasible on this now? Would've preferred to turn the Vita into the emulation machine but this is cool also

Edit: Wait it turns out Vita homebrew is much further along than I thought

It still has a way to go and pretty much requires a New 3DS to get decent speeds for SNES and GBA.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
I guess I did over-react a bit, then. It just seemed like with a game like this being centered around multiplayer, shrinking the possible player pool like this was a bad idea, because it would shorten the game's lifespan. If it's slowed down to the point of being unplayable for all parties, though, then locking it like that to try and prevent that scenario does make sense.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was looking at the JP Triforce Heroes site and I like Ganondorf's new look

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's probably because they can't fudge internet play as easily as they can for Splatoon or Mario Kart. Watching the previews it seems like a lot of stuff is dependent on coordinated precision and timing, which is something you just can't do reliably with several seconds of latency bouncing three ways around the world.

But can't you play the entire game one Link at a time in single player?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Region locking gameplay is fine for playing with random people, but it blows for playing with friends since presumably if you choose to play with someone a continent away they'll understand that some lag will be involved

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Why is it so hard to find a list of New 3DS-exclusive or New 3DS-enhanced games? :(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Why is it so hard to find a list of New 3DS-exclusive or New 3DS-enhanced games? :(

They're so few and far in between that I dunno if anyone really thinks it's necessary. :(

Off the top of my head, Smash, MonHun4 and Majora's Mask are all enhanced on an n3DS and Xenoblade and Binding of Issac are the only exclusives that I know of. I suppose you could say AC: Happy Home Designer is enhanced because you don't need to buy an Amiibo reader for the n3DS.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 4, 2015

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Because it's a short list.

EXCLUSIVE:
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
The Binding of Isaac

Enhanced:
Super Smash Bros (load times)
Hyrule Warriors (3D function)

Edit: Oh yeah. Monster Hunter and Ocarina did have some enhancements.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I guess you could include "Games that use a Circle Pad Pro" to pad out the list. Though the nub really doesn't work good.

Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer and Ace Combat should also be on the "enhanced" list. Along with any other Amiibo game announced.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I thought about that, with the circle pad professional and NFC readers being out, I figured to only include things that only the New 3DS could pull off.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Majora's Mask actually isn't enhanced for N3DS. It just supports the CPP like older games that supported that. It sucks since the game chugs sometimes when 3D is enabled.

Codename Steam lets you speed up battles quicker on N3DS.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 4, 2015

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
If you don't have at least 2 real life friends then maybe Tri force heroes isn't for you

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spintzel posted:

If you don't have at least 2 real life friends then maybe Tri force heroes isn't for you

I figured :(

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Spintzel posted:

Well, 2 real life friends with one 3ds each.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

And More posted:

Well, 2 real life friends with one 3ds each.

You only need one copy between the three of you at least!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

That's sort of what I figured, thanks y'all. I have no interest in BoI but I want Xenoblade so I can give Ryan his Wii copy back (hello Ryan when you read this post) and once I figure out MonHun for Wii U I'd be interested in 4's improvements.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I could be wrong but aren't Nintendo's region-locked online games typically only region-locked when it comes to playing with randoms but playing with friends works fine?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The 4 swords game on dsi was region locked for local play as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's a different issue that affects a lot of local wireless games; it basically comes down to devs not making the effort to make them cross-compatible, I think.

Anyway, has anyone with a JP 3DS tried the 7th Dragon demo?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
I can't believe... actually I can believe it, but I'm very disappointed they're now releasing the smaller new 3ds in NA. :argh:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you're like a month or seven or eight late

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

then install retroarch

https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-nightly-builds-here.396843/