Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

I don't know who's Dan Slott, but I know who Spiderman and peter parker, and he's not someone who's successful day in, day out. Save that for a different character, or better yet, make what you're saying apply to Iron Man. Living under global capitalism means that you're going to have to learn that there's a good chance you'll end up being ground to dirt, Peter Parker was one of those people, but for a different era, maybe they could've changed his job or whatever but kept his overall social status so that's he's not a supremely unattainable persona to most people, you haven't just changed how much money he has, you've changed who he is, and a steely silicon valley business man who says fancy words but lives like a baller is not the reason why so many people liked spider man/peter parker to begin with.

You're thinking of Tony Stark.

Any way I'm sorry to come across as rude, I didn't realize you were new to comic books. You're describing Peter as he hasn't been in a long time, and I think that the modern take on him is both interesting and different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Die Laughing posted:

Sounds like you should be reading Spider-Man instead of Amazing Spider-Man.

This was a really fun issue. Poor mans Tony Stark is a good hook to play with for a while. Bonus points for making the Living Brain creepy.

I don't know about all the geopolitical stuff, but it was a fun book about Spider-Man punching a dude in an animal costume and being a good guy. I'll take it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wanderer posted:

The fact of the matter is that Peter Parker in the 616 hasn't been the "everyman hero" for a while now, and there have been a lot of contortions to attempt to keep him in that role for a while that haven't entirely been successful. He's been an Avenger for more than a decade, and one of the biggest plot holes in the canon for decades has been that Peter could've been a millionaire whenever he wanted by patenting the web fluid. You might as well take the internationally-known, A-list super-hero and have him apply his convictions to benevolent multi-national capitalism for a while, since that's at least a fresh direction.

If you really need a ground-level, every-man superhero with webs, there's the flashback Spidey book, or you could switch over to Bendis's book with Miles. I'd be more excited to see where this plot's going if it wasn't Slott, but it's a pretty fresh take. More importantly, it almost seems to preclude a reset button.

I saw a guy's blog earlier where he was salty about Peter learning to speak conversational Mandarin with a few lessons in his spare time, and I thought that was a relatively facile complaint until I read this one.

He learns Mandrin in a few lessons, that is really stupid.

I hate when stories do that, unless you are writting about a supergenius, don't do that poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I miss having books that had giant issue numbers. I admit to not buying ASM 512, but it was comforting to see it on the shelves. When they bring back Fantastic Four I hope they don't do it with a number 1.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zoux posted:

You're thinking of Tony Stark.

Any way I'm sorry to come across as rude, I didn't realize you were new to comic books. You're describing Peter as he hasn't been in a long time, and I think that the modern take on him is both interesting and different.

To be fair, he always ends up that way in the end. I don't think now will be any different.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

I hate when stories do that, unless you are writting about a supergenius, don't do that poo poo.

Peter Parker, noted dimwit dullard.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cabbit posted:

He gets owned by bricks.

Multple times, this is canon. :colbert:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CharlestheHammer posted:

He's a renowned international genius and he had eight months. I figure that's probably enough to carry on a conversation, although it would've been smarter if he had an awful accent or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cabbit posted:

He's frequently beaten by a stray brick?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also all he said was "Hey Shanghai I love you".

Unless I'm forgetting something.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Skwirl posted:

He's frequently beaten by a stray brick?

CharlestheHammer posted:

He gets owned by bricks.

Multple times, this is canon. :colbert:

You've reminded me how disappointed I was that this didn't come up in the Spiderverse story involving newspaper Spidey.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I've said this before, but there was a Batman OGN that took place in China, and a lot of the story was about how he doesn't speak Chinese and still has to solve a mystery. I can't imagine anyone would write a "smart" character having that problem in a modern big two comic, much less Batman, who is Always Prepared for Everything.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

If John Cena can learn enough Mandarin to not embarrass himself I'm sure Spider-Man can.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 8, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

God every thread is putting John Cena over today.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

zoux posted:

God every thread is putting John Cena over today.

Love him or hate him, you've gotta :justpost: him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really don't approve of how this boring wrestler has become a meme these past few months.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cena has done enough charity work that I don't mind him showing up in random threads. Aside from this post I'm not going to actively participate in Cena chat, but it hasn't gotten to the point that it's seriously annoying.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I kinda hated how much I enjoyed Amazing. That Kraven joke was stellar and it was nice fun all around, though I rolled my eyes when it was brought up in-book that he was just a poor man's Tony Stark. Felt cheated when the Miles portion of the book was actually another teaser for Amazing.

But speaking of Spider-books, Spider-Island was kinda stellar. I really, really liked it and kinda wish that's how things would've panned out for Flash regarding Peter. Also dinosaurs make everything better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean gently caress Dan Slott but I loved ASM #1.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think my favorite part of ASM was adding Hobie Brown back to the cast. Not only is he a cool character with a long history but also his name is Hobie and that's fun to say.

Hobie.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's going a lot better than the last time someone did a spider-man as CEO plot

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Little Mac posted:

I think my favorite part of ASM was adding Hobie Brown back to the cast. Not only is he a cool character with a long history but also his name is Hobie and that's fun to say.

Hobie.

Yeah, if this whole global Spider-Man thing can dig up some more obscure supporting characters like that and give them some page-time, i'm all for it.

I think Slott has actually found a good middle ground between fun ideas and big ideas lately. It's like someone sat him down and had a heart to heart with him and he listened. He still has his flaws, but I find myself not cringing as much as I used to with his attempts to be witty. Renew Your Vows ended up pretty good (minus the idea of Regent...) and this first issue actually has me interested in what will happen next.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've not finished Superior, so is Doc Ock in that robot a shocking return from the dead or did we have an idea that his mind was bouncing around somewhere?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I've not finished Superior, so is Doc Ock in that robot a shocking return from the dead or did we have an idea that his mind was bouncing around somewhere?

I think anyone with a brain figured out he was out there somewhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I think anyone with a brain figured out he was out there somewhere.

I'm assuming he made a copy of his conscious with the future tech he added to his suit during Spider-verse. There was that whole "Sleep for 100 days" command.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just mean, was it intentionally foreshadowed, and not just "yeah, no way they're killing off one of Spidey's most iconic foes forever".

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm pretty sure it wasn't hinted at Ock being in the Living Brain before this but I may be wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

I just mean, was it intentionally foreshadowed, and not just "yeah, no way they're killing off one of Spidey's most iconic foes forever".

They tried one time.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

They tried one time.

Yes but sadly Slott came back in the Bullpen Bullets Wars summer crossover.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

I mean Spider-Verse happened while Ock was "Asleep" and he clearly knew Peter was coming back so it'd be pretty dumb of him not to make a backup.

If it was foreshadowed or hinted at, I have no idea.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He thought it was a younger Peter up until their final confrontation in Spiderverse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

He thought it was a younger Peter up until their final confrontation in Spiderverse.

Didn't he figure it out a bit before that? Because he had time to set up his contingency plan, the "sleep for 100 days" thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm just going to read the rest of Superior and then I'll tell y'all what happened I guess...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They foreshadowed SpOck setting up a contingency plan during the epilogue of SPiderVerse before he got booted back to his correct time.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Peter recognised spOck's Anna Maria AI in Uncle Ben's bunker, which is what gave things away. Nice going, Peter!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Yes but sadly Slott came back in the Bullpen Bullets Wars summer crossover.

That's a good joke, but I was talking about the time Kaine snapped Ock's loving neck. Which was actually a really great story up until that happened. The plan was to permanently kill him off and replace him with Lady Dr. Octopus. Didn't take.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm sad we didn't get more Scarlet Spider/Superior Spider crossover.

I'm also sad we didn't get more Scarlet Spider. I am not looking forward to Aracely's corpse showing up in a splash page in 2-3 years.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'd be a lot more excited over Spidey, Inc. If it weren't Slott writing it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I'd be a lot more excited over Spidey, Inc. If it weren't Slott writing it.

Being a Spider-man fan for the last few years has been like watching a never-ending film loop of a kid riding his bike into a telephone pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Actual real question and not meant as a Dan Slott knock (even if it is):

For a long time spidey was built on the theme of "with great power comes great responsibility" and the limits and sacrifices that come with that and how Peter grows learning and sacrificing. That honestly has not been a theme for a while, pretty much since slott started (maybe JMS) what would you think the theme of the book is now? Don't answer "Being garbage"

• Locked thread