Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Subjunctive posted:

I've only seen Thunderclap used to promote kick starters so far.

I've seen people use it to promote their undoubtedly horrible $0.99 ebooks about highschool vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Aaaaaand Skarp is up to $180k after 19 hours. Their goal was $160k and they've got 12 days to go.

I love all the comments going "Yeah I've pledged a couple hundred bux to you, can you put up a vid showing how the laser razor currently works or actually explain how it's meant to do poo poo" and the creators are like "NAH MAN we gotta protect our IP or Big Razor will take us down!"

e: Haha and the Skarp guys on The Verge etc saying that they believe it was removed from KS because of "pressure from special interests lobbying".

CROWS EVERYWHERE has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Oct 14, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Non Serviam posted:

Somebody on Reddit called out the razor laser .
"As men of science", the creators came up and were buried in comments asking them how the gently caress they can possibly argue this will work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kickstarter/comments/3n59gt/scam_alert_the_wildly_successful_skarp_laser/

The kickstarter has been suspended. 4 million dollars, suspended. :stare:

I'm amazed. I would've thought Kickstarter would just let it ride so they can collect their payday.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm amazed. I would've thought Kickstarter would just let it ride so they can collect their payday.

I think that they stand to lose more by letting it go through than by letting go of their cut of a four million dollar scam-and-rhubarb pie.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Zaphod42 posted:

Exactly what I was wondering.

Also you'd have a hard enough time just beating on the doors of random animation studios trying to get them to listen to you, but being a foreigner who doesn't even speak Japanese?
Good luck dude.

loving hilarious. lovely self-published comic wants to self-publish an anime. Hell no.

the kids who made red vs blue, the dumb video about video games, successfully produced & released an anime that was a bigger hit in Japan, than America. do you remember making comics by printscreening funny video game moments, then MSpainting captions on that? they did that so much they became famous. they became famous, in real life, because of their internet lifestyle.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the kids who made red vs blue, the dumb video about video games, successfully produced & released an anime that was a bigger hit in Japan, than America. do you remember making comics by printscreening funny video game moments, then MSpainting captions on that? they did that so much they became famous. they became famous, in real life, because of their internet lifestyle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF0cGt5-69k

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Huh? I thought their animated show was cancelled.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Paladinus posted:

Huh? I thought their animated show was cancelled.

If you mean RWBY, no. The creator (who was also the directors and one of the writers) died earlier this year, but they're still going.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

senrath posted:

If you mean RWBY, no. The creator (who was also the directors and one of the writers) died earlier this year, but they're still going.

I was thinking about RvB Animated. Is this RWBY thing actually popular in Japan?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

As far as I'm aware it's decently popular for what it is. Popular enough to justify a full Japanese dub as well as merchandising.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Noyemi K posted:

I think that they stand to lose more by letting it go through than by letting go of their cut of a four million dollar scam-and-rhubarb pie.

How's that?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Reputation hit, I imagine :shrug:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

Reputation hit, I imagine :shrug:

Exactly, the skim from $4mill is next to nothing for KS, but it would show that they wilfully let a snakeoil seller who had been called out pretty exhaustively by geeky neckbeards (the target demographic of these razors I'd assume) continue. If they were seen as a platform for letting blatant, intelligence insulting scams go unchecked the existing model of "pay this idiot and hope he learns business by the time they get to shipping" would come under massive scrutiny too. Nobody really wants to hear about kickstarter success stories, but boy does the world love a dramatic gently caress up.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Someone saying mean things to you on twitter? Rather than blocking them, how about using this pizza poo poo app instead

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

So it's a hugbox app for people who don't have enough followers on twitter to raid anyone they want? I'm sure nothing can go wrong with inviting hundreds of strangers to participate in poo poo-slinging on your behalf.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Paladinus posted:

So it's a hugbox app for people who don't have enough followers on twitter to raid anyone they want? I'm sure nothing can go wrong with inviting hundreds of strangers to participate in poo poo-slinging on your behalf.

It's troll-proof. Didn't you even read the pitch.

The statement of confidence reminds me of "I'm good enough. I'm smart enough and doggone it people like me." Nothing says 'Fierce' like Stuart Smalley.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

If people are sending me violent images, violent video, and death/rape threats, I want an app that reports it to the police, not a goddamn 'confidence builder'.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

quote:

You like Beyoncé, right?

Fierce is a virtual Beyoncé for your iPhone to help you say no to the haters.
Hey kids, you like the skateboards, right?
Fierce lets you jazz around on a skateboard against hate, go go power rangers!
Hey kids, you like pokemon, right?
Fierce is the pokemon of saying no to haters.
Memes?
Fierce is that chuck norris guy, for haters.

Da------d, stop marketing apps.

e: also of the as of now $40 donations, I bet it was a troll who wanted a mask, just to troll this.

wit has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Oct 14, 2015

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

wit posted:

Hey kids, you like the skateboards, right?
Fierce lets you jazz around on a skateboard against hate, go go power rangers!
Hey kids, you like pokemon, right?
Fierce is the pokemon of saying no to haters.
Memes?
Fierce is that chuck norris guy, for haters.

Da------d, stop marketing apps.

e: also of the as of now $40 donations, I bet it was a troll who wanted a mask, just to troll this.

It's probably more like guitar players on the street who put a small amount of money in their case so it looks like people are giving them money already.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Siri, deploy safe space.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

They've already switched over to Indiegogo:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving#/

What they've shown looks like it theoretically could be a worthwhile product if they could just crank up the power a bit. I mean, does it really have to run off a AAA battery?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The laser razor is annoying the hell out of me. It has all the hallmarks of a scam.

1) Prototype device has few of the key features of the 'release' version
2) They "can't reveal" their actual technology because "special interests" will shut them down/steal their technology
3) Dyed-in-the-wool defenders who don't have any reason to believe they're being truthful
4) Incredibly short production timeline--they expect to start manufacturing circuit boards and diodes before the end of the year, and the product release by March/April, despite 'unknown levels of fine tuning' required.
5) Claim that 'wavelengths of light' will cut through hair without burning it, and it'll work on all hair colors. Because everyone has a particular 'chromophore'. They alone have discovered this.
6) After a clear reason why they were suspended from Kickstarter, they claim that Kickstarter was paid off by a special interest.

I seriously can't wait until November 2016 when thousands of backers are all bitching and moaning about not having their razor, and hundreds of defenders just saying "Give them more time!"

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Solution: release a $15,000 jpeg of a razor for "true believers"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

1) This seems terrible and bad and 2) uhhhh isn't it kind of ~*~problematic~*~ for a white guy to be making an app called "Fierce" which he advertises as "a virtual Beyonce for your iPhone"? Like, that's going to rile up your target audience pretty bad, regardless.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Unguided posted:

Siri, deploy safe space.

Siri, call the police on Granos.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

wit posted:

Exactly, the skim from $4mill is next to nothing for KS, but it would show that they wilfully let a snakeoil seller who had been called out pretty exhaustively by geeky neckbeards (the target demographic of these razors I'd assume) continue. If they were seen as a platform for letting blatant, intelligence insulting scams go unchecked the existing model of "pay this idiot and hope he learns business by the time they get to shipping" would come under massive scrutiny too. Nobody really wants to hear about kickstarter success stories, but boy does the world love a dramatic gently caress up.

Oh right, because Kickstarter hasn't allowed bullshit things to go through before. That laser razor is as viable OUYA or Star Citizen.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Fluffy posted:

Oh right, because Kickstarter hasn't allowed bullshit things to go through before. That laser razor is as viable OUYA or Star Citizen.

Hey man, that's not fair. Star Citizen has made HEAPS of jpgs of spaceships with their backer dollars.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Here is a bloke who does a very good review on the laser razer!

https://youtu.be/jfcVgz7gY6o

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Nothing says "quality product, not a scam!" like youtube videos with rating and comments disabled!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk9OJN9foA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLwNJ7TXWA

I'm not sure if it was posted or not, I know it's on the gogo page but I love it when ratings and comments are disabled and wanted to point it out

Shame they didn't disable comments allowed to be posted to their channel though...yet

https://youtube.com/channel/UC8qikOeL5WWhye5uMbjY7Qw/discussion

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

To be fair Ouya wasn't snake oil per se, it was just obsolete before it was even finished.

If Kickstarter suspended every product just for being crappy they wouldn't get much money at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Collateral Damage posted:

To be fair Ouya wasn't snake oil per se, it was just obsolete before it was even finished.

If Kickstarter suspended every product just for being crappy they wouldn't get much money at all.

And Star Citizen was still plausible when it was on KS (where IIRC it only collected 1.5 of its 90+ million dollars).

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

There is a difference between a scam and a bad product (Ouya) and star citizens problems came well after their kick starter campaign ended.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

To be fair, even they realized OUYA was a huge debacle seeing as they changed the rules afterwards.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ouya is the reason they don't allow only renders of products any more, isn't it?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Pretty sure it was at least one of the reasons, yeah.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
OUYA did have a prototype though since it's just a stock board of what's pretty much a stripped down Android phone. The render was pretty much just what the case would look like. And the controller I guess if anybody actually used that piece of poo poo instead of some third party thing.

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen a full Ouya system, in box, at the thrift store not once but twice. I think it cost ten dollars maybe?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

There is a difference between a scam and a bad product (Ouya) and star citizens problems came well after their kick starter campaign ended.

Precisely this with the exhibits A and B you just gave. This is why I find Kickstarter loving fascinating. Its the hype and bad idea zone, but couldn't exist if it were just letting outright made-up bullshit happen. To get their cut they have to vet business ventures and decide if they're infeasible or blatantly abusing the model. A failed dipshit business that never got off the ground because you gave some deviant art guy a tonne of money but he has no idea how to conduct business is one thing. A wanker pretending to go through the motions of failure in a carefully contrived "The Producers" failure model like is another.

If you think about it, would you want to mod KS? That's a loving tightrope walk.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Can someone more up to date on videogames summarize the whole Star Citizen controversy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

kjetting posted:

Can someone more up to date on videogames summarize the whole Star Citizen controversy?

They got almost a hundred million dollars in funding with the promise of being the most expansive space exploration space-sim-mmo-type game ever made. They WERE on course to do that, until they started expanding in the wrong direction and hosed everything up- instead of focusing on actually making a video game, they focused on marketing, paying their employees for work that was not done yet, and creating more incentives to buy and play the game than there was game to play. Basically they tried to build a house before building the framework and what people now speculate is because it was such a spectacular failure, they're basically just bumming away whatever money is left until they can poo poo out the most basic thing that fulfills the requirements they promised and be done with it.