Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tezzor posted:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/people-are-getting-shot-by-toddlers-on-a-weekly-basis-this-year/ar-AAfstpF?li=BBgzzfc&ocid=iehp

100% of these victims would be as grievously affected if the toddlers had only their bare hands :byodood:

How many of those toddlers had proper firearm safety training though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

-Troika- posted:

Actually, brandishing it and telling the guy to gently caress off, but feel free to keep fantasizing about it in your head.

Ah, now I can imagine the scene -

"Hey dude, can I borrow a cig-"
"Get away from me you freak! I have a gun! gently caress off!"

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Because let's face it,

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

4. Most purported self-defense gun uses are gun uses in escalating arguments and are both socially undesirable and illegal

We analyzed data from two national random-digit-dial surveys conducted under the auspices of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center. Criminal court judges who read the self-reported accounts of the purported self-defense gun use rated a majority as being illegal, even assuming that the respondent had a permit to own and to carry a gun, and that the respondent had described the event honestly from his own perspective.

Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah. Gun use in the United States: Results from two national surveys. Injury Prevention. 2000; 6:263-267.

5. Firearms are used far more often to intimidate than in self-defense.

Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Center, we examined the extent and nature of offensive gun use. We found that firearms are used far more often to frighten and intimidate than they are used in self-defense. All reported cases of criminal gun use, as well as many of the so-called self-defense gun uses, appear to be socially undesirable.

Hemenway, David; Azrael, Deborah. The relative frequency of offensive and defensive gun use: Results of a national survey. Violence and Victims. 2000; 15:257-272.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I'm kind of curious how they defined these "self-defense" uses.

Is it where:
  • The aggressor is killed
  • The aggressor is shot and injured, but not killed
  • or the aggressor retreats after the gun is displayed, no shots being fired

That would make a huge difference in the weight of the self defense stat.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Using self-reported data about macho fantasy scenarios collected from a telephone survey is not going to get you the most accurate information, and I wouldn't be making policy recommendations from it

edit: one way OR the other

walgreenslatino fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 15, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

various cheeses posted:

I'm kind of curious how they defined these "self-defense" uses.

Is it where:
  • The aggressor is killed
  • The aggressor is shot and injured, but not killed
  • or the aggressor retreats after the gun is displayed, no shots being fired

That would make a huge difference in the weight of the self defense stat.

In the instances of 3, most people don't bother reporting those incidents to the cops because it's going to be a waste of time 99% of the time: in my case, all three incidents happened at night in poorly lit areas and I wouldn't have been able to give a good description, other than "this guy was wearing x", so it would have resulted in "thank you sir" *tosses report into the paper shredder*.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Dead Reckoning posted:

I honestly don't know what you meant, because I'm not aware of any cases that overturned or superseded Heller.

As for the second point, poo poo, this is America. Why not? If some dude with Howard Hughes money wants to buy tanks and drive them around his ranch, or just park them in a garage and polish them with a chamois cloth like the rest of the 1% do with Ferraris, why should I object?

Oh, stomping around my ranch or whatever in a tank would be sweet, and I completely agree that if you can afford that, go nuts. I don't think it would be ok to take it off one's own property, though.

And hell, if you want to fire off RPG or mortar rounds on your own property, as long as nobody gets hurt, what's the harm? I wouldn't like people firing them indiscriminately at civilians off of rooftops, though. And that's the issue here: the constitution says you can have them, and people will misuse them, so how do we address that?

I'll have to get back to you on the exact court rulings when I have more time. Hope the thread lives that long... :)

erosion fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 15, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hm. How many defensive legal uses of firearms are there? On the one hand: logic; studies based on literally anything. On the other hand: an extrapolated number based entirely on unsubstantiated claims; my fear of emasculation. The debate continues...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Laphroaig posted:

just have huge taxation on guns and ammunition so that the poor can't own guns, they are the ones that commit all the crimes, problem solved

just keep the underclass disarmed and it'll all work out imo

True story, that's what the National Firearms Act tax stamps on machine guns, sound suppressors, and short barrel shotguns/rifles were meant to be. A way to let the rich have their toys while keeping the majority of the working class from being able to afford them.

Luckily everyone's terrified to reopen the question in order to increase the cost of the tax stamps, and $200 is fairly minor today compared to the 1930's.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 15, 2015

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Tezzor posted:

Hm. How many defensive legal uses of firearms are there? On the one hand: logic; studies based on literally anything. On the other hand: an extrapolated number based entirely on unsubstantiated claims; my fear of emasculation. The debate continues...

"Centers for Disease Control: Priorities For Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence " posted:

Somewhere between 108,000 and 3 million.
Split the difference and you've got a 5 defensive uses for every 1 criminal use. Take the lowest number and you've still got a pretty hefty amount of people defending themselves with guns.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

-Troika- posted:

In the instances of 3, most people don't bother reporting those incidents to the cops because it's going to be a waste of time 99% of the time: in my case, all three incidents happened at night in poorly lit areas and I wouldn't have been able to give a good description, other than "this guy was wearing x", so it would have resulted in "thank you sir" *tosses report into the paper shredder*.

So you waved a gun at someone taking a walk at night and considered it successfully defending yourself from The Criminal Mind. Astounding.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

stealie72 posted:

Split the difference and you've got a 5 defensive uses for every 1 criminal use. Take the lowest number and you've still got a pretty hefty amount of people defending themselves with guns.

The low end is based on something, and the high end is based on nothing. "Splitting the difference" is insanely lazy. Also, there are 1.25 million estimated violent crimes per year.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How many human beings are there in the United States? The low end is a little over 310 million and the high end estimate is 100 billion. If we assume the truth is somewhere in the middle,

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/01/16/the-study-that-gun-rights-activists-keep-citing-but-completely-misunderstand/

quote:

The authors suggested focusing on five areas: the characteristics of firearm violence, risk and protective factors, interventions and strategies, gun safety technology and the influence of video games and other media. The document is peppered with examples of how little we know about the causes and consequences of gun violence -- no doubt the result of an 18-year-old CDC research ban.

But gun-rights supporters zeroed on in a few statements to make their case. One related to the defensive use of guns. The New American Magazine article noted that "Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008."

So it would appear the "good use" of guns outweighs the "bad use." That may be true, except the study says all of those statistics are in dispute -- creating, in the study authors' eyes, a research imperative.

The study (available as a PDF) calls the defensive use of guns by crime victims "a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed." While it might be as high as 3 million defensive uses of guns each year, some scholars point to the much lower estimate of 108,000 times a year. "The variation in these numbers remains a controversy in the field," the study notes.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Lol I just checked and the CDC report you're mentioning doesn't even do any of its own research into the question or make any claim about it, it just says "some people say 3 million, some say 100,000. Who can say??"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Tezzor posted:

The low end is based on something, and the high end is based on nothing. "Splitting the difference" is insanely lazy. Also, there are 1.25 million estimated violent crimes per year.

Yeah. The report says that the numbers vary widely, with those being the bookends. That's why I mentioned both.

Even if you go for the anti-gun side and side with the minimum, that's still over 100k defensive uses of a gun, standing on contrast to your point that it's just a macho fantasy.

Let me write your next post, though:

Tezzor posted:

Those are probably self-reported numbers by NRA members who are literally jerking off onto their gun as they report them.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

stealie72 posted:

Even if you go for the anti-gun side and side with the minimum, that's still over 100k defensive uses of a gun, standing on contrast to your point that it's just a macho fantasy.

No? I have never claimed that guns are never used defensively. I have claimed they are used defensively far less frequently than they are used offensively, and the condition for their existence is more crime generally. Perhaps you would agree with more of my positions, were you capable of comprehending them. I am trying my best.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's actually really likely that the majority of defensive uses are ones that were useless from the perspective of defending yourself. Given the relative probabilities of muggings versus non-mugging encounters and the issue that people who own guns for self-defense are more likely to report false positives in the first place...

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

stealie72 posted:

Let me write your next post, though:

He'd be at least half right, considering that

Gun use in the United States: results from two national surveys posted:

Data come from two national random digit dial
surveys conducted by Fact Finders, Inc in the
spring of 1996 and the spring of 1999. The
samples comprise, respectively, 1905 and 2521
adults living in the 50 states.
[...]
For both surveys combined, a total of
146 self defense gun uses were reported by 43
people who were not police, military personnel,
or security guards (table 2).
[...]
Over two thirds (68%) of the 146 self
defense gun use incidents from the two surveys
were reported by six respondents. Three people
claimed 50, 20 and 15 self defense incidents in
the previous five years, but refused to describe
the most recent event. In the 1999 survey, an
18 year old male reported six cases. He
described the most recent incident: “I was at
school and they pulled a gun during an
argument. They fired and I fired”.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

JT Jag posted:

You guys are probably right that fixing and improving the NICS is something the Democrats should focus on more. I think the reason Democrats don't do it is that the NICS is 'settled', it's something that is already on the books, and even if it's not working as great as we might like the worry some of us might have is that if we ask to reform it the reply will be "we need to remove the ban on silencers or whatever before we can support that".

Spending political capital on reforming something isn't sexy compared to making something new.

But if they are honest about wanting to make a difference on gun violence they should.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tezzor posted:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/people-are-getting-shot-by-toddlers-on-a-weekly-basis-this-year/ar-AAfstpF?li=BBgzzfc&ocid=iehp

100% of these victims would be as grievously affected if the toddlers had only their bare hands :byodood:

Bad babies with guns can only be stopped by good babies with guns.

Arm all babies.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Tezzor posted:

Oh poo poo, thanks for reminding me!

Reminder for Thursday, October 15th 2015 that some 80 people perished or will perish in the United States of America beause of guns today. There have been a couple shootings on street corners, a bunch of suicides with guns, a few gun-related accidents resulting in death today, and some cops shooting people. A good fraction got killed by people they knew and who had no criminal record.

All this to say that the 2nd Amendment in no way precludes intelligent regulation of guns, selective bans, and the registration of gun owners, all of which would contribute to a pacified society and the gradual elimination of this ghastly gun culture.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

We need to give robbers a safe working environment, who is with me!?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

various cheeses posted:

I'm just saying that if you don't want to turn from a gun owner into a gun owned, don't confront burglars in your home :cmon:

EDIT also yeah if you're not a sociopath, you shouldn't be itching for burglar death

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

*in fascist voice* Long live death! ¡Viva la muerte!

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Bad babies with guns can only be stopped by good babies with guns.

Arm all babies.

This, but unironically.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I'm just saying that if you don't want to turn from a gun owner into a gun owned, don't confront burglars in your home :cmon:

EDIT also yeah if you're not a sociopath, you shouldn't be itching for burglar death

My goal is to get the guy out of the house, not kill him. This rear end in a top hat shouldn't be in my house stealing my stuff, don't give him the benefit of the doubt over me.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The lives of burglars are worth more than those of gun owners. Discuss.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Effectronica posted:

Hm. Seems implausible, but as always I keep an open mind. Present your evidence, OP.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Burglars- avoid killing.

Gun owners- talk at length about how they want to kill.

Killing is worse than stealing.

QED.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

What if the burglars are also gun owners??

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Burglars are quite unlikely to be violent and almost certainly forced into their actions by an oppressive and apathetic society.

Armed homeowners are guaranteed to have money if they have a home and firearm in the first place and certainly willing killers as they chose to be armed in the first place. That the money spent on their weapons was not, instead, donated to organizations created to help stabilize income and housing for the disenfranchised means they have contributed to the necessity of the theft of their own property.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

various cheeses posted:

My goal is to get the guy out of the house, not kill him. This rear end in a top hat shouldn't be in my house stealing my stuff, don't give him the benefit of the doubt over me.

So instead of taking out your gun, buy an oversized and extremely loud alarm clock that you can remotely activate and you can be sure that the dude will run away if you turn the thing on.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Effectronica posted:

So you waved a gun at someone taking a walk at night and considered it successfully defending yourself from The Criminal Mind. Astounding.
Anyone reading Troika's posts should keep in mind that his interest in guns is entirely based on an anime he saw like three years ago. He literally just showed up in TFR on the day it started airing asking a lot of questions about he could buy the same gun that the main character has and has been insufferable about the topic ever since. If you ask him to describe his foiled muggings in any greater detail they're probably the climactic fight scene but with the magical swordfights taken out.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pitch posted:

Anyone reading Troika's posts should keep in mind that his interest in guns is entirely based on an anime he saw like three years ago. He literally just showed up in TFR on the day it started airing asking a lot of questions about he could buy the same gun that the main character has and has been insufferable about the topic ever since. If you ask him to describe his foiled muggings in any greater detail they're probably the same fight scenes but with the magical swordfights taken out.

:captainpop:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pitch posted:

Anyone reading Troika's posts should keep in mind that his interest in guns is entirely based on an anime he saw like three years ago. He literally just showed up in TFR on the day it started airing asking a lot of questions about he could buy the same gun that the main character has and has been insufferable about the topic ever since. If you ask him to describe his foiled muggings in any greater detail they're probably the climactic fight scene but with the magical swordfights taken out.

Which gun was it

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

5 bucks says it's the main character's gun from cowboy bebop

The Jericho or whatever CZ knockoff it is.

various cheeses fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 15, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
James Madison in The Federalist Papers clearly states that I as a law abiding citizen have a right to a revolver that turns my arm into a weird bird laser

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tezzor posted:

James Madison in The Federalist Papers clearly states that I as a law abiding citizen have a right to a revolver that turns my arm into a weird bird laser

If you could get one, would you like guns then?

Also I"m looking forward to making this thread again in 50 years when we all debate the constitutionality of mech ownership and lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Thread, what is your opinion on handgun calibers

• Locked thread