Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

Honestly, what's it like being so retarded that you think that not being able to at least try to stop someone form killing your family is OK?

Quote me where I said that.

Look, I'll spell it out for you more clearly. I have no problem with him having a gun and going back to save his family. In fact that would be a brave a laudable thing to do. What I'm saying is that a man who just woke up from getting knocked out with a baseball bat to the head stumbling into the room with a gun probably isn't going to do much but get himself killed, ultimately changing nothing other than the fact that he's dead now too. Guns are not a magical talisman that transforms you into Captain America or the Punisher in the presence of Bad GuysTM. I'm very sorry that this revelation upsets you so much.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Look, Who What Now has rationally calculated that the optimum and most likely outcome for your family in that scenario is for them to be raped and killed while you escape and try to summon the police. That way three people die instead of four. He has concluded that you are unlikely to have made a difference, therefore it should be illegal for you to assess the facts for yourself and make your own decision about the risks.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Look, Who What Now has rationally calculated that the optimum and most likely outcome for your family in that scenario is for them to be raped and killed while you escape and try to summon the police. That way three people die instead of four. He has concluded that you are unlikely to have made a difference, therefore it should be illegal for you to assess the facts for yourself and make your own decision about the risks.
Eh, I'd have topped myself after, so death toll would have been the same.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Tezzor posted:

However we feel about firearms regulation, I think we can all agree that gun fanboys whining about restricted access to suppressors is really the thing that, beyond anything else, pegs them as comically self-absorbed to the point of justifying any and all contempt for them.

Don't forget we want 50 state reciprocity.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

That and suppressors are so much cheaper Finland. When you don't have to worry about a two hundred dollar tax and a 6-13 month wait, you don't need a ultra durable can

Didn't some company try to get away with only the adapter that screws onto the barrel is the 'silencer' part and was basically durable and never needed to be replaced so that the baffles would be cheaper? I vaguely remember something like that but I assume the economies of scale made it not worth it because waiting 6+ months to buy a literal screw adapter is dumb.

Fake edit:

I was thinking of econ-cans and solvent-traps.

Pictured: A part you have to wait 6+ months and pay $200 for the privilege of buying. If your local chief of police lets you.

e: I think that last one was the wrong picture.

You can also buy the same thing on amazon but if you install it without a stamp, it's a felony. Makes perfect sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Adapter-Anodized-Aircraft-Aluminum/dp/B00PE0JPFW/ref=pd_bxgy_200_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SY4CB9AS9SPD15J4KZT

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 16, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm against anyone pushing for any gun regulation in any form in this country, HTH

stealie72 posted:

Eh, I'd have topped myself after, so death toll would have been the same.

Please do not commit suicide. :(

Also see my edit

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Who What Now posted:

I'm against anyone pushing for any gun regulation in any form in this country, HTH

A reasonable stance

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Please do not commit suicide. :(

Also see my edit

Yeah, saw your edit. I clearly misread your intent. Sorry about that :sissies:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Again: the question is not if there is some situation in which having a gun would be better for you than not having a gun. The question is if on the whole gun accessibility is socially beneficial. It isn't just about you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

This sounds familiar:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...atheist-family/

Its safe to say that home defense fantasies don't actually become reality as often as you think they do.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Tezzor posted:

Again: the question is not if there is some situation in which having a gun would be better for you than not having a gun. The question is if on the whole gun accessibility is socially beneficial. It isn't just about you.
Nah, it is. Someday, maybe you'll be blessed to come to a point in your life journey when you can experience the joy of knowing that there is you and your family and then there is everything else.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

Nah, it is. Someday, maybe you'll be blessed to come to a point in your life journey when you can experience the joy of knowing that there is you and your family and then there is everything else.

"We're surrounded by Muslims, queers, and darkies, Martha! Quick, barricade the door! Kids, get mah Ay-Arr 15, them thar two drum-magazines I duct taped together fer quickloading, mah high-powered strobe what ta' blind the hordes a' rapists with, the Keymaster, and mah 16x zoom scope!"

"Dad it's just the Hendersons next door having a patio cookout."

"THERE'S US AND THEM, BOY! US AND THEEEEEEEEM!"

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 16, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

stealie72 posted:

Actually no, the condition of less gun availability is that each individual is at a lesser rate of being killed. I'm willing to grant that by getting a gun and selecting "betray" in the prisoner's dilemma you may personally give yourself a lower rate than that (although I am not certain of it) at the expense of everyone else, and so is the rational choice from a self-interested perspective, which is why you must be disallowed from doing so.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

To be fair if I could somehow magically whisk away all the guns in America into the heart of the sun and then we physically cut out the second amendment and peed on it and then an anti-gun force field was erected to allow us enough time to ratify new regulations to restrict the manufacture, import, and sale of firearms then I would be totally on board for that.

But since I sincerely doubt there are any anti-gun Arch-warlocks out there then there is simply too many guns and too many unrestricted channels to obtain guns even if they are banned or regulated for any laws to change our society in any meaningful way. So there's no point in lawmakers even acknowledging guns at all, it'll just be a gross waste of their time and our tax dollars that will ultimately culminate in nothing worthwhile. So I'm vehemently against it for those reason alone.
And this is why arguing about guns is always a circle jerk.

It doesn't really matter what anyone's philosophical stance is. The barn door is open and the horses have made it almost to the horizon.

This guy gets it.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Who What Now posted:

To be fair if I could somehow magically whisk away all the guns in America into the heart of the sun and then we physically cut out the second amendment and peed on it and then an anti-gun force field was erected to allow us enough time to ratify new regulations to restrict the manufacture, import, and sale of firearms then I would be totally on board for that.

But since I sincerely doubt there are any anti-gun Arch-warlocks out there then there is simply too many guns and too many unrestricted channels to obtain guns even if they are banned or regulated for any laws to change our society in any meaningful way. So there's no point in lawmakers even acknowledging guns at all, it'll just be a gross waste of their time and our tax dollars that will ultimately culminate in nothing worthwhile. So I'm vehemently against it for those reason alone.

Nah. Guns can be regulated meaningfully and their numbers can be dramatically decreased. The claim that they can't is just gun fanboy chaff to try to convince us to not even try, because their behavior clearly shows that they believe our success is plausible and imminent, and they are terrified.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tezzor posted:

Would you kill a friend to save two complete strangers? It's all about decreasing damage to society after all. Gotta look at the big picture, sorry tezzor's friend.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tezzor posted:

Nah. Guns can be regulated meaningfully and their numbers can be dramatically decreased. The claim that they can't is just gun fanboy chaff to try to convince us to not even try, because their behavior clearly shows that they believe our success is plausible and imminent, and they are terrified.

They are terrified because they're pussies constantly afraid of the world around them. But that doesn't make them wrong in this case.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Would you kill a friend to save two complete strangers? It's all about decreasing damage to society after all. Gotta look at the big picture, sorry tezzor's friend.
He should ask his philosophy professor. Maybe they've discussed the one about throwing the train switch so that the train is only headed to one person.

Who What Now posted:

They are terrified because they're pussies constantly afraid of the world around them. But that doesn't make them wrong in this case.
Goddammit guy, I was WITH you.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

various cheeses posted:

What part of "it's not just about me" do you not understand? Maybe you don't understand what we're talking about here. We're talking about what policies should be implemented that will be of the best general benefit. We're not talking about how an individual would act in the Pruno-induced Saw III nightmares of a white nationalist mental patient.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

He should ask his philosophy professor. Maybe they've discussed the one about throwing the train switch so that the train is only headed to one person.

Goddammit guy, I was WITH you.

Sorry, man, I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
gun buybacks are morally unethical because they encourage people to steal guns from the collections of their unrestrained psychopath friends and sell them for pure profit. its not even difficult to pull off because gun owners are too stupid to store their weapons safely. as weve established in this thread already theft is the worst thing in the world and is punishable by massively prejudiced execution, so anything that increases theft rates is bad

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Sorry, man, I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Calling it a "buyback" is instructive as to the viewpoint of those who advocate for them. Unless the governmental entity which is performing the "buyback" owned the gun at some point in the past, then they're not "buying back" anything, as it was never theirs. Well, unless you're a communist and think there's no private property and everything should belong to the state, which, this being D&D, is probably not a viewpoint that is as uncommon as it should be.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Haha, yes, please compare yourself to a civil rights era black man. :allears:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Haha, yes, please compare yourself to a civil rights era black man. :allears:

Nah, he's got a gun. He's a pussy.

Edit: This guy's a HUGE pussy. Look at all those guns

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 16, 2015

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Look at all this misogyny.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
In actual serious talk, i think it's amazing how a large percent of people against guns seem to believe that the best course of action is to simply submit to an aggressor, even if you or your loved ones are facing immediate violence/death/rape/etc.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Craptacular posted:

Look at all this misogyny.

Pro-Gun People are renowned for their tendency to vote for people who highly value women's rights.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Pro-Gun People are renowned for their tendency to vote for people who highly value women's rights.

Largely because the Dems won't shut the gently caress up about useless things like "assault weapon" bans.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

Ozmiander posted:

In actual serious talk, i think it's amazing how a large percent of people against guns seem to believe that the best course of action is to simply submit to an aggressor, even if you or your loved ones are facing immediate violence/death/rape/etc.

Yes that's some quite serious talk you got there.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tezzor posted:

What part of "it's not just about me" do you not understand? Maybe you don't understand what we're talking about here. We're talking about what policies should be implemented that will be of the best general benefit. We're not talking about how an individual would act in the Pruno-induced Saw III nightmares of a white nationalist mental patient.

Do you also think alcohol and drugs should be banned? They don't exactly bring a lot of benefits to society, do they? How far down the rabbit hole are you willing to go? I'm assuming it's just guns you hate, because you assume every last gun owner is some amalgam of a school shooter, fat racist redneck, a gang banger, and an inept retard first placing his hand on a firearm.

It's like some sort of bizzare 4 headed strawman in your mind.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ozmiander posted:

It amazes me how large a percent of people who are for guns seem to believe that having a gun will allow them to fight off multiple armed attackers, likely by pressing in both thumbsticks (or Ctrl on the PC) to activate their bullet time ability.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mavric posted:

Yes that's some quite serious talk you got there.

It's a super common counter to "i'd get my gun and shoot the bastards!". I'm not speaking out of my rear end when i say i don't understand the mentality. I can understand people trying to do good by banning guns, but not "don't try, you'll just end up killing your wife/husband/child!".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

Largely because the Dems won't shut the gently caress up about useless things like "assault weapon" bans.

Agreed

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

It amazes me how large a percent of people who are for guns seem to believe that having a gun will allow them to fight off multiple armed attackers, likely by pressing in both thumbsticks (or Ctrl on the PC) to activate their bullet time ability.

Wouldn't you rather try and fail, rather than living with the guilt of running away and leaving them to their fates?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Just want to correct myself here, I'm agreeing that Dems are stupid for pursuing assault weapon bans. Putting your love of rooty-tooty-point-and-shooties above the rights of real women, rights that are way more important than guns, still makes you a piece of poo poo.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, we generally hate that percentage too. It's a tough one, because they make gun owners look foolish, but their credit limits have led to a huge crash in the AR-15 market, so they're cheap as hell for the rest of us right now.

Of course, one guaranteed way to NOT fight off multiple armed attackers is to not be armed.

Who What Now posted:

Just want to correct myself here, I'm agreeing that Dems are stupid for pursuing assault weapon bans. Putting your love of rooty-tooty-point-and-shooties above the rights of real women, rights that are way more important than guns, still makes you a piece of poo poo.
Oh, well, cool.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Ozmiander posted:

It's a super common counter to "i'd get my gun and shoot the bastards!". I'm not speaking out of my rear end when i say i don't understand the mentality. I can understand people trying to do good by banning guns, but not "don't try, you'll just end up killing your wife/husband/child!".

People prefer that society function in such a way that assaults are rare, and it is a irresponsible solution to entrust every individual with the necessary skills and tools of self defense.

-A gun owner who had to had to forcibly remove a violent intruder.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gaj posted:

People prefer that society function in such a way that assaults are rare, and it is a irresponsible solution to entrust every individual with the necessary skills and tools of self defense.

-A gun owner who had to had to forcibly remove a violent intruder.

If people weren't lovely to each other, both sides would be happy. i could have guns for plinking, and they wouldn't object to them for safety reasons.

Good luck to that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

stealie72 posted:

Look! I found the evil in the human soul!

• Locked thread