Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

I like how according to the posters here, the US military is chomping at the bit to wholesale slaughter the civilians it's sworn to protect. The second a drone strikes a group on US soil, the PR war is lost.

Also consider that large portions of the military are pretty into guns, will also defect, and the military will be fighting itself as well.

You're not going to be the leering nerd in the bully's good graces while he beats up some gun owners. It's going to be total loving chaos, and bad for pretty much everyone involved.

Mmhmm, because you know if there's one thing the military encourages above all else it's not following orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Mmhmm, because you know if there's one thing the military encourages above all else it's not following orders.

"If God be on our side, who be on theirs?"

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget, CommieGIR was a soldier, so he can speak to the morality of every soldier.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Hahahahaha, yes, I remember when the insurgents overthrew our government. Man what a day that was.

Ddraig posted:

If by messy you mean the collective entrails of thousands of people being strewn around by few drone strikes, I agree. Not even taking into account other air support.

Ddraig posted:

I might be ignorant of United States Army policy but I think when you leave the army you're required to give the keys to any tanks, drones or arms depots you have back.

This is also quite an interesting line of argument. The US army is so completely ineffectual they can't route out an insurgent terrorist organization yet those exact same people when on American Soil become true patriots who can effectively and totally bring the fight to the self-same US army.

Who What Now posted:

:negative:
A child was left behind. Y'know, I was going to type out something about the history of free fighters and insurgency in the smokeless powder era, but it'd just be buried under a blizzard of tezzorposting. Suffice to say: access to caches of small arms and a ready corps of people who are proficient in their use is necessary but not sufficient by itself to defeat a world-class military. However, it is absolutely necessary for a resistance or guerrilla movement, especially during the critical early days when it is just starting out. The framers were acutely aware of the ability of armed local citizens to interdict the ability of outside powers to effectively impose their will, and literally spelled this out in the explanatory clause of the second amendment. While the U.S. military is at the apex of its capability and experience in fighting irregular forces right now, its structure and organization make it especially vulnerable to dissent, subversion and the insider threat. The Iraqi insurgency, and by extension ISIS, started out as nothing more than angry men with guns and pickup trucks, and have demonstrated a resilience to interdiction via air power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

A child was left behind. Y'know, I was going to type out something about the history of free fighters and insurgency in the smokeless powder era, but it'd just be buried under a blizzard of tezzorposting. Suffice to say: access to caches of small arms and a ready corps of people who are proficient in their use is necessary but not sufficient by itself to defeat a world-class military. However, it is absolutely necessary for a resistance or guerrilla movement, especially during the critical early days when it is just starting out. The framers were acutely aware of the ability of armed local citizens to interdict the ability of outside powers to effectively impose their will, and literally spelled this out in the explanatory clause of the second amendment. While the U.S. military is at the apex of its capability and experience in fighting irregular forces right now, its structure and organization make it especially vulnerable to dissent, subversion and the insider threat. The Iraqi insurgency, and by extension ISIS, started out as nothing more than angry men with guns and pickup trucks, and have demonstrated a resilience to interdiction via air power.

So, you are saying the Tea Party is willing to stoop to tactics such as enslavement, suicide bombings, and other such tactics that are highlighted as being particularly important to the reason as to why they are so effective? Did you grow up in an environment of constant war and oppression that your father also grew up in? Do you suffer from constant PTSD due to your childhood experiences?

ISIS waited patiently until the US had left to make any moves, they were keenly aware that with US troops on the ground they'd get routed and slaughtered, it was only after a large, organized, supplied, and effective military had left that they were able to make headway against a weak and piecemeal, corrupt Iraqi Army.

Same thing happened in Vietnam. The North Vietnamese waited patiently for the US to leave after the Paris Peace Accords to steamroll a then meagerly supported South Vietnamese Army.

The first requirement for a successful US insurrection would be: The US DoD in its entirety to cease to exist. Even during the Civil War, the North ALWAYS ALWAYS had the upper hand manpower wise and industry wise, the only real reason Lee was able to make so much headway was that he went after targets that the Union believed to be non-essential to the war, so it made him hard to predict. He didn't attack essential logistical targets. Hell, Gettysburg happened because of coincidence and because the South wanted to find some new shoes.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 16, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's the thing: Americans will never do this, because you have too much to lose. You have homes, food, safety, and the disposable income to afford to play with your toys. You won't give that up. You think you would, but you're lying to yourself. You are not someone who grew up in the Middle East who went to bed every night wondering if you'd be killed by a stray bomb, or a group of extremists rolling into town, or by government death squads. You have not been pushed past the breaking point like the members of ISIS have. So even if you have the means you don't have the will.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Show us on the doll where the gun touched you :allears:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

-Troika- posted:

The butt.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

-Troika- posted:

Guns are cool as gently caress and I love shooting them. I'd give it up in a heartbeat if I could magic them away, but since I can't I'm gonna at least enjoy them by shooting some targets.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Guns are cool as gently caress and I love shooting them. I'd give it up in a heartbeat if I could magic them away, but since I can't I'm gonna at least enjoy them by shooting some targets.

Tbh you should try shooting with a suppressor if you haven't before. It's pretty much the best gun accessory ever invented.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

-Troika- posted:

What a comeback.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Tbh you should try shooting with a suppressor if you haven't before. It's pretty much the best gun accessory ever invented.

I'd love to but I don't have that level of disposable income to justify spending that kind of money on an already too expensive hobby.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I'd love to but I don't have that level of disposable income to justify spending that kind of money on an already too expensive hobby.

Avoid bicycles, then.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
hey so do the gun owners in this thread have any opinions on Taxi Driver? just curious

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

Avoid bicycles, then.

Oh god I know.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Oh god I know.

Pretty much any white people hobby, really.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

Don't forget, CommieGIR was a soldier, so he can speak to the morality of every soldier.

He was in the air force, he was never a soldier.

So while soldiers might be able to slaughter a village here or there, or maybe annihilate a some journalists now and again, the air force knows how to commit war crimes on a grand scale.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 16, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Armyman25 posted:

So while soldiers might be able to slaughter a village here or there, or maybe annihilate a some journalists now and again, the air force knows how to commit war crimes on a grand scale.

Took his PFT on a treadmill for 15 minutes then got back to playing video games and sucking miles of cock or whatever the typical cadet does. That, pretty much.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

various cheeses posted:

I like how according to the posters here, the US military is chomping at the bit to wholesale slaughter the civilians it's sworn to protect. The second a drone strikes a group on US soil, the PR war is lost.

Also consider that large portions of the military are pretty into guns, will also defect, and the military will be fighting itself as well.

You're not going to be the leering nerd in the bully's good graces while he beats up some gun owners. It's going to be total loving chaos, and bad for pretty much everyone involved.

I don't necessarily believe soldiers would fight to suppress a domestic insurrection. But you definitely should, because if they wouldn't, you have no argument from the necessity to have guns to fight an insurrection.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

ISIS waited patiently until the US had left to make any moves, they were keenly aware that with US troops on the ground they'd get routed and slaughtered, it was only after a large, organized, supplied, and effective military had left that they were able to make headway against a weak and piecemeal, corrupt Iraqi Army.

Same thing happened in Vietnam. The North Vietnamese waited patiently for the US to leave after the Paris Peace Accords to steamroll a then meagerly supported South Vietnamese Army.

The first requirement for a successful US insurrection would be: The US DoD in its entirety to cease to exist. Even during the Civil War, the North ALWAYS ALWAYS had the upper hand manpower wise and industry wise, the only real reason Lee was able to make so much headway was that he went after targets that the Union believed to be non-essential to the war, so it made him hard to predict. He didn't attack essential logistical targets. Hell, Gettysburg happened because of coincidence and because the South wanted to find some new shoes.
I'm not really sure what your point is. Yeah, an insurgency just has to outlast the political will of the outside power. Some guys, some guns, and some semtex is often sufficient for that. Defeating enemy conventional forces in open battle isn't strictly necessary. Also, an insurgency is not the same thing as a secession. An enemy with defined territory, a government, and armies of their own is a conventional opponent.

Who What Now posted:

Here's the thing: Americans will never do this, because you have too much to lose. You have homes, food, safety, and the disposable income to afford to play with your toys. You won't give that up. You think you would, but you're lying to yourself. You are not someone who grew up in the Middle East who went to bed every night wondering if you'd be killed by a stray bomb, or a group of extremists rolling into town, or by government death squads. You have not been pushed past the breaking point like the members of ISIS have. So even if you have the means you don't have the will.
You Irishmen will never... You Lebanese will never... You Syrians will never...
Bin Laden was the son of a wealthy family and chucked it all to go live the kind of life where sleeping in the same bed two nights in a row or using the same cell phone twice is bad for your health. Libya and Syria weren't exactly prosperous, first world countries, but before the descent into civil war, people there had homes, jobs, electricity, televisions, the internet, went shopping in the market. I think it's harder to name civil wars or insurgencies where an entire population threw themselves immediately into the fight than it is to find those where a population with mostly comfortable lives was drawn into the violence by the cycle of attacks by a small band of ideologically committed fighters and government crackdowns.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

Doesn't that option make the oil filter a suppressor too so you have to declare each oil can for a stamp?

Nah, just the adapter. The oil can is considered a consumable. Like the baffles in a suppressor. The end answer is really 'whatever has the serial number'.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not really sure what your point is. Yeah, an insurgency just has to outlast the political will of the outside power. Some guys, some guns, and some semtex is often sufficient for that. Defeating enemy conventional forces in open battle isn't strictly necessary. Also, an insurgency is not the same thing as a secession. An enemy with defined territory, a government, and armies of their own is a conventional opponent.
You Irishmen will never... You Lebanese will never... You Syrians will never...
Bin Laden was the son of a wealthy family and chucked it all to go live the kind of life where sleeping in the same bed two nights in a row or using the same cell phone twice is bad for your health. Libya and Syria weren't exactly prosperous, first world countries, but before the descent into civil war, people there had homes, jobs, electricity, televisions, the internet, went shopping in the market. I think it's harder to name civil wars or insurgencies where an entire population threw themselves immediately into the fight than it is to find those where a population with mostly comfortable lives was drawn into the violence by the cycle of attacks by a small band of ideologically committed fighters and government crackdowns.

America doesn't have anywhere near the conditions of those areas at those, or in some cases current, times. I'm sorry but your masturbatory fantasy of killing the Usurper in Chief will always remain just that, a fantasy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ddraig posted:

It's always fun when the "Government wouldn't shoot back" argument comes up because it displays a staggering ignorance of US history to think that in its history the US has not perpetuated such a series of atrocities before.

On its own citizens, no less.

All of those are worthy of an armed up rising to stop. Only one happened, and it's the one bitter gun nuts are still bitter about.

poo poo, wasn't that long ago the government let privately hired mercenaries get into a shooting war with striking miners.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Who What Now posted:

America doesn't have anywhere near the conditions of those areas at those, or in some cases current, times. I'm sorry but your masturbatory fantasy of killing the Usurper in Chief will always remain just that, a fantasy.
That has nothing to do with what you said though. You said we Americans are too soft and have too much to lose to have a large scale civil war, but I just pointed out several countries where people enjoyed a comfortable, stable standard of living that none the less spiraled into civil wars. I don't expect it to happen in the foreseeable future, but you're the one saying it's impossible.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm still laughing that people consider suicide a negative aspect of guns.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

That has nothing to do with what you said though. You said we Americans are too soft and have too much to lose to have a large scale civil war, but I just pointed out several countries where people enjoyed a comfortable, stable standard of living that none the less spiraled into civil wars. I don't expect it to happen in the foreseeable future, but you're the one saying it's impossible.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough. America isn't to that point and never will be within our lifetimes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Armyman25 posted:

Hey.

gently caress you.

Pauline Kael posted:

Took his PFT on a treadmill for 15 minutes then got back to playing video games and sucking miles of cock or whatever the typical cadet does. That, pretty much.

Hey jackass?
We do a full fitness test. Run/pushups/sit-ups.

And trust me, of all the people to back up, Armyman25 is the worst of the lot.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 17, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

Hey.

gently caress you.

Hey jackass?
We do a full fitness test too. Run/pushups/sit-ups.

I still like the part where you said suppressors don't reduce muzzle flash. That was pretty dank.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

I still like the part where you said suppressors don't reduce muzzle flash. That was pretty dank.

I was mistaken. Apparently that makes me fair game or something?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ozmiander posted:

I said pistol wounds are more survivable than stab wounds.

This is so incredibly false that I can barely harness my untamed, backbreaking incredulity long enough to reply.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Hey.

gently caress you.

Hey jackass?
We do a full fitness test. Run/pushups/sit-ups.

Ooh, running, pushups, and situps, things children do in PE, how strenuous.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PCOS Bill posted:

And yet your average gun owner can't do any of them.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

And yet your average gun owner can't do any of them.

Your average American isn't so hot at it either. Coincidence?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Anybody who thinks America should be less armed is really un-american because america is all about the guns.

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find it interesting that those who argue that the military would confiscate guns assume the States themselves would be ok with it. Outside of CA,MA,MD,NY,NJ, IL, HI. The rest of the states (The South, PNW, Midwest and parts of the East coast)would pretty much say gently caress you to the Federal Gov't.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PCOS Bill posted:

Pauline Kael posted:

Armyman25 posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you chucklefucks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you chucklefucks.

Turns out people from the military talk a lot of poo poo about people in other branches. Is this news to you?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Volkerball posted:

Turns out people from the military talk a lot of poo poo about people in other branches. Is this news to you?

I don't know many military people given where I live so kind of. In any event I look forward to some posts about how CommieGIR smells like poopy and is ugly to elevate this discussion further and show that gun nuts are mature, well adjusted people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

I don't know many military people given where I live so kind of. In any event I look forward to some posts about how CommieGIR smells like poopy and is ugly to elevate this discussion further and show that gun nuts are mature, well adjusted people.

Oh well, yeah. Air Force gets called the Chair Force and the stereotype is that they're a bunch of sissies who brag about how they did 5 pushups that morning for PT. The truth is they're kind of spoiled and everyone not in the Air Force hates them for it. I sure as gently caress did.

• Locked thread