Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And what's the big deal about that? OMD was eight years ago. Aunt May had a storyline running through the Brand New Day stuff and when that was done she was written out. This is nothing unusual for Spider-Man supporting cast members when a writer has nothing in mind for them, and it's not even the first time it's happened to Aunt May. Hell, there's a good solid decade where Flash Thompson just vanished from existence. That's comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Blockhouse posted:

OMD was eight years ago.

Holy crap

Also, Aunt May didn't, like, come back to life per se during OMD. that's like saying "ugh why would they resurrect Captain America after Infinity Gauntlet just to make him an old man???

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The real completely pointless resurrection from OMD was Harry Osborn. Everyone kept saying for years that JM Dematteis killing off Harry was "such a waste", then they bring him back and loving no one can figure out anything to do with the guy.

In fact I'll bet at least one person reading this post had forgotten he was alive again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harry Osborn's plot was basically done. There isn't much else you can do with the guy. Either you bring him back to give him a happy ending (at which point he fucks off forever) or you bring him back and retread the same "oh no he is Peter's villain/Peter's best friend/Peter's best frienemy" plot again which, while not perfect, was kind of sealed and done.

I'm not surprised nobody has any real ideas for him. It isn't impossible to get a good story out of it (loving Kaine got a good story out of his bullshit revival) but you really need to have something thematically appropriate for it and it's pretty hard to do that with Harry without him getting eclipsed by his dad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's almost like everyone at Marvel who was responsible for the BND status quo was wrong.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lurdiak posted:

In fact I'll bet at least one person reading this post had forgotten he was alive again.
I was making a list a year or two ago of how long character deaths actually last (and how Jean Grey has currently been dead for twice as long as she was the first time) and I actually listed Harry Osborn as being dead from 1993-2014 or whatever until someone corrected me. I probably would have been that person had it not been for that.

Also, a reminder that Jeph Loeb (who I guess was piping up because he has/had a vaporware Spider-Man book with J. Scott Campbell in the works since 2006) wanted them to bring back Harry AND Gwen.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

ImpAtom posted:

Harry Osborn's plot was basically done. There isn't much else you can do with the guy. Either you bring him back to give him a happy ending (at which point he fucks off forever) or you bring him back and retread the same "oh no he is Peter's villain/Peter's best friend/Peter's best frienemy" plot again which, while not perfect, was kind of sealed and done.

Didn't they do both during Brand New Day?

He was resurrected as a coffee shop owner, his dad hosed with his relationship(s), he became American Son, and then he ran off with Normie and grew a beard. What has he done since then?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inkspot posted:

He was resurrected as a coffee shop owner, his dad hosed with his relationship(s), he became American Son, and then he ran off with Normie and grew a beard. What has he done since then?

Last I recall he transformed into Walter White and I assume went off to cook meth.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Inkspot posted:

Absolutely nothing, though he was teased for a while as being the new Green Goblin. Peter made a random phone call to him for some password just before Spock came to town, Harry was sporting a Heisenberg beard. He hasn't been seen since, and the "new" GG was just loving Norman. Again.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Not to interrupt BND chat but holy poo poo, next year's Spider-Women crossover sounds like pretty much everything I could ever have wanted.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Castomira posted:

Not to interrupt BND chat but holy poo poo, next year's Spider-Women crossover sounds like pretty much everything I could ever have wanted.

Well I like two of the three. Let's hope Hopeless doesn't drag it all down.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Well I like two of the three. Let's hope Hopeless doesn't drag it all down.

Well his book is the best of the three, so I don't see that happening.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Was it during JMS that Aunt May owned the Chameleon via needlepoint?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

And what's the big deal about that? OMD was eight years ago. Aunt May had a storyline running through the Brand New Day stuff and when that was done she was written out. This is nothing unusual for Spider-Man supporting cast members when a writer has nothing in mind for them, and it's not even the first time it's happened to Aunt May. Hell, there's a good solid decade where Flash Thompson just vanished from existence. That's comics.

It's just a shame her storyline was so boring.

Besides, people were bitching about the marriage for like 20 years till they got it undone, I'm allowed to complain for like 12 more years!

Lurdiak posted:

It's almost like everyone at Marvel who was responsible for the BND status quo was wrong.
Yeah, this sounds bout right.

Man, I can't believe Waid ws one of the 'brain trust'. You'd think after his run on the Flash he'd understand all the great stuff you can do with a married superhero.

Cabbit posted:

Sure was. :iia:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Cabbit posted:

JMS was on Amazing Spider-Man at the time, but that took place in Sensational Spider-Man, which was written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Waid was going to be part of the group that was planned to unmarry Superman in 2000.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This week's spider gwen was I think, poorly told in the way that it was sort of tough working out what was a flashback initially, but upon close examination it made sense and added some really nice depth to the world. Also, the new character on the last paragraph was interesting.

And sweet Ex Hex Rips poster on Gwen's wall.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yvonmukluk posted:

Man, I can't believe Waid ws one of the 'brain trust'. You'd think after his run on the Flash he'd understand all the great stuff you can do with a married superhero.

I'm guessing that once he went back to the Flash and it was terrible and no one liked it his opinion might have soured a touch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Waid was going to be part of the group that was planned to unmarry Superman in 2000.

Yeah but they were going to just split up, not sell the soul of their marriage to Satan.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wasn't there going to be some Brainiac induced amnesia or something?

EDIT: Found it.

quote:

Ultimately, Luthor’s threat becomes so grand that it threatens all of spacetime--including the Fifth Dimension, forging a tense alliance between Superman and Mxyzptlk. With superhuman effort, Luthor and Brainiac are thwarted--but not before Brainiac gets his revenge.

Memories, as science is only now theorizing and as Brainiac has known for years, are not electrical in nature. They are, in fact, actual chemical deposits in the brain. And what is chemical can easily be turned to poison.

Brainiac has adjusted Lois’s chemical memory of Clark’s secret identity so that it’s killing her.

The poison memory can’t be removed. It can conceivably be masked--Superman has more than one magical ally who could erase Lois’s conscious memory of his identity, who could facilitate a reality in which Clark and Lois were married without Lois being aware of her husband’s double life--but deep down, Superman knows that’s too risky. He can’t live with her, can’t be her husband, can’t share her life. She’s too sharp. No matter what he does, no matter how on guard he is, she’ll stumble onto his secret eventually, and when she does, it will be the death of her.

With no other conceivable option, Superman turns to Mxyzptlk. Sure, says Mxy, I can fix this--but only by altering history so that she NEVER knew. So that there was never a memory TO poison.

Unacceptable, says Superman. You have the power to fix this more simply. You don’t have to go that far.

Untrue, counters Mxyzptlk. Despite what I may or may not WANT to do for you...when I’m in the third dimension, I’m INCAPABLE of doing anything BUT mischief.

So the offer’s on the table, the clock is ticking on Lois, and together, she and her husband make their tragic decision. Though Lois would rather spend one day with Clark’s love than a lifetime without it, he swears to her that they’ll be together again when the time is right. For now...they have no choice but to erase their lives together so that Lois might live.

Mxyzptlk weaves his spell. As night falls around the globe, people will begin to fall asleep--and as they do, the world will change and Clark’s secret will be restored. People will awaken without any memory that Clark Kent and Lois Lane were ever married, were ever together. Clark and Lois have until sundown to enjoy one last, perfect day.

And so long as we live, we will never again see two people so much in love as we do that day.

Eventually, however, the violet dust of twilight settles across the city. It’s happening. Their arms wrapped around one another as if they’ll never touch this way again, Lois and Clark begin to fall asleep. With a last kiss, they drift into slumber...

...and when dawn breaks across Metropolis, Clark Kent exits his bachelor apartment at 344 Clinton Avenue and makes it to his Daily Planet desk just in time to catch the latest in a long line of caustic barbs from rival reporter Lois Lane. She has her sights set on Superman, thinks Kent for the millionth time. If only I could get her to love me as Clark...

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 17, 2015

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Mark Waid didn't join the whole "Brand New Day" "Braintrust" until well after it launched. The original four writers were Dan Slott, Marc Guggenheim, Zeb Wells, and Bob Gale. Their first issue was in December 2007, and Waid (and Joe Kelly) didn't really come on until the very end of 2008 as Gale (and to a lesser extent Wells) faded off.

Even then, Joe Quesada had made the decision and wrote One More Day to eliminate the marriage before any of those guys got involved. Slott/Guggenheim/Wells/Gale (and Jeph Loeb and I think the summit crew in general) may have had some inputs about secondary decisions (bring Harry back, don't bring Gwen back, go back to mechanical webshooters, whatever) but even then, that was all a year/thirty+ issues in the rear-view by the time Waid signed up.

And yeah, the Morrison/Millar/Waid/Peyer "Superman 2000" pitch had a section about their plans to (at least temporarily) reverse the Lois/Clark marriage. You can read the whole thing here. Or right above this post!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Looks like Web Warriors is going back to the 60's cartoon universe

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Holy poo poo, Mayday's joining the team. Totally on board for that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I really, really like JMS Spidey - spider-totems and all - up until John Romita, Jr. leaves the book. That first half of his run is maybe my third or fourth favourite stretch by a writer on a Spider-Man book (the first two been Lee/Ditko/Romita and Roger Stern).

My only gripe about JMS is that he seemed like he had to create this new universe for Spidey, completely dependent on JMS.

As soon as JMS came on, it felt like every villain was a new JMS creation (Shade, Morlun, Shathra, Carlyle Calamari, etc.), and then you had the Spider-Totem stuff, which I don't think anybody wanted or liked but JMS.

Now, that said, he did very well on the Peter/MJ and Peter/May dynamics, and when he did use classic characters (Ock, Doom), he utilized them perfectly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Creating new villains is a good thing. It should be encouraged. If it means an author is creating their 'own universe' for the character that isn't a bad thing. Creating new villains and new concepts is how characters evolve and change.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Creating new villains is a good thing. It should be encouraged. If it means an author is creating their 'own universe' for the character that isn't a bad thing. Creating new villains and new concepts is how characters evolve and change.

Usually, I'd agree, but, as a reader, it felt a lot different than, say, Claremont doing his thing.

Writers putting their stamp on a character is a good thing, and I liked JMS as a whole, but it shouldn't feel like "Well, here's MY stuff, hope you enjoy. Nobody really liked Electro, anyway.". Does that make sense?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Spider-Man has, for the past two decades, at least two other main books and several other books at least loosely related as well. It isn't like there was a ban on those characters. They were being used, just elsewhere.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Spider-Man has, for the past two decades, at least two other main books and several other books at least loosely related as well. It isn't like there was a ban on those characters. They were being used, just elsewhere.

That's a good point.

I'm glad we had a book that starred Sal Buscema's Spidey for so long.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Every once in a while a writer wants to get away from using the old rogues gallery and makes their own villains. It's a pretty common direction to go in comic runs. Most of Morrison's work on Batman and Batman & Robin falls under that, for instance.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I have very fond memories of the Loki team-up the JMS run. Actually, have they had much interaction since Loki did the whole being a good guy thing?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mover posted:

I have very fond memories of the Loki team-up the JMS run. Actually, have they had much interaction since Loki did the whole being a good guy thing?

JMS actually didn't write that story, or he might have only had a co-writing credit. It was someone who worked on Babylon 5 doing a filler arc, and yeah it was pretty good. I don't think Spidey and Loki ever appeared in anything besides mega events.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Well his book is the best of the three, so I don't see that happening.

Disagree, Silk's probably the strongest Spider-Gal book for my money, but it's a close race.

I also really liked the Mockingbird design in ASM, with the gold trim.

EDIT: Oh, also, *raises hand* Me. I'm the one that forgot Harry was alive. I'm fairly sure for the second or third time. Like every time it comes up in BSS I go "Oh yeah, he came back."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Disagree, Silk's probably the strongest Spider-Gal book for my money, but it's a close race.

I also really liked the Mockingbird design in ASM, with the gold trim.

Well Silk and Spider-Woman are pretty much both great, I think the weak link here is actually Spider-Gwen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Red posted:

That's a good point.

I'm glad we had a book that starred Sal Buscema's Spidey for so long.

Sal's the best. He had a really brief run on Superboy in the late 90's that I loved and wished he'd gotten a shake on Superman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Well Silk and Spider-Woman are pretty much both great, I think the weak link here is actually Spider-Gwen.

Spider-Gwen's main weakness is the creative team seem to be tripping over themselves over how much comedy vs drama, and how much worldbuilding/plot/character development should be done. All the individual elements are fine and the art is great, but if this is a personal story of Gwen confronting Spider-Woman's greatest failure, don't end on Captain America as a cliffhanger. The cliffhanger should be the reveal of what the Lizard's done.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

notthegoatseguy posted:

JMS actually didn't write that story, or he might have only had a co-writing credit. It was someone who worked on Babylon 5 doing a filler arc, and yeah it was pretty good. I don't think Spidey and Loki ever appeared in anything besides mega events.

I'll always remember that as the obvious out they didn't take. Loki owed Peter a favor and leaving peter a monkey's paw wish because he's Loki is much better then having your flagship character going to the devil.

Spider Gwen feels rushed, like they are in too much of a hurry to establish the world's differences instead of letting them come up naturally.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 20, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirDan3k posted:

I'll always remember that as the obvious out they didn't take. Loki owed Peter a favor and leaving peter a monkey's paw wish because he's Loki is much better then having your flagship character going to the devil.

Spider Gwen feels rushed, like they are in too much of a hurry to establish the world's differences instead of letting them come up naturally.
I think Loki was technically dead around the time of OMD, so that, at least

Never mind that Dr. Doom also owed Peter a favour, and he owns a time machine. And not one of those crappy 'spins off an alternate timeline' ones, but 'literally made Ben Grimm the canonical Blackbeard of the Marvel Universe' ones. Also he's a master of science and sorcery, so he should have had exactly no problem with a meager bullet wound.

But then OMD was so blatantly editorially mandated it hurts, when you consider there was literally a page where he asked pretty much ever big name (hero and villain) for help and nobody could. Not even the X-Men who have one guy whose power is 'heals poo poo' and once regrew a human heart in seconds for someone after a demon ripped out the original one. Never mind Reed Richards also has one of those time machines.

Honestly if you think about it for five seconds, OMD falls to pieces from a logical perspective.

I agree about Spider-Gwen, they're going way too far into tying either 'ooh, look this is different' or referring to multiverse stuff. Like, thewhole point of the story is a different Marvel universe, she shouldn't be hopping to 616 on a regular basis.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yvonmukluk posted:

Honestly if you think about it for five seconds, OMD falls to pieces from a logical perspective.

These words apply to something like 95% of all comics stories ever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The multiverse stuff is only in the OHotMU thing at the back, though? And is basically there to explain how she's in Web Warriors at the same time.

I think little beats like Gwen grumbling that Janet didn't tell her she had to do maintenance on the web-shooters are fine, but they need to pace themselves better with the cameos. It's one book, not the basis of a whole line like Spider-Girl or USM were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

Every once in a while a writer wants to get away from using the old rogues gallery and makes their own villains. It's a pretty common direction to go in comic runs. Most of Morrison's work on Batman and Batman & Robin falls under that, for instance.

Morrison's New X-Men as well, come to think of it.

I think the only classic X-Men bad guy he used was Magneto.

Or Xorn.

Or Xorn's evil secret brother pretending to be Xorn.

Whatever.

• Locked thread