Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Daddy daddy daddy, tell us about how you met mommy!"

"Well kids, I had dates set up with six different women one day and most of them were solid sevens while your mother was more of a seven point one and the rest is history"

naem posted:

First dates are just coffee/ drinks and conversation you can totally do a couple a week it's fine sheesh

It's less of a time thing and more of "okay I have coffee scheduled with four different girls this week because I take the shotgun approach to romance"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"Daddy daddy daddy, tell us about how you met mommy!"

"Well kids, I had dates set up with six different women one day and most of them were solid sevens while your mother was more of a seven point one and the rest is history"

God this would make the best EN thread

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Goons using hyperbole to defend minority opinions why I never

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i, too, take a casual date set up on the internet as a lifelong commitment and would never, ever set up multiple dates in a given week because that's basically adultery and also rape

honestly though, why bother breaking the later dates because one panned out alright? if you went on one date and instantly go exclusive so you have to do that you're not really doing casual dating right. go on the other dates you lined up. go on a second date with the strongest prospect and see how it goes, then fade on the others if they're the one true love of your gay life

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Stinky_Pete posted:

Dating is asking someone out, going on the date, and scheduling the next one if it was a good date. It is not queuing up several first dates until your self-importance is sufficiently sated by someone, then telling everyone else you made plans with to gently caress off because they were a just-in-case.

Cool for job searching, not cool for romance. Some of us have integrity.

if you are this cynical about people, how will you ever trust someone romantically? you must be one of those people who plasters their profile full of LOOKING FOR SOMEONE REAL and NO PLAYERS

naem
May 29, 2011

If you like a girl just say "Wow I like you! I want to date exclusively! Are you into that haha?" Or some variation, hopefully gauging her into-you-ness correctly. Don't gently caress it up! (You'll gently caress it up) (sometimes) (it's fine)

If she yes "yes date me we're exclusive yay" then NOW you can't go on other dates unless you're a bbad person

This and other really basic human interaction guidelines can be found in my upcoming book BOOB LAIDIES ANd HUMPING IM A SEX MANN

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Multidating was always weird to me. Maybe I am just not hip/jaded enough with the online dating thing, but the idea of hedging your bets by setting up successive dates or even one after the other is horrifically unromantic. Especially for the one earlier in the night, what if you want to bone but then have to cancel last minute for someone else?

What does online dating have to do with romance? Its cliche but it is just a numbers game

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
tbh i'd be loving impressed if i got let down like yeahtubamike did. he was honest and upfront with her and cancelled early enough that she could easily make other plans for the night. that's pretty much the dream. maybe i'm just an undateable piece of poo poo, but lately i count myself lucky if i even get the courtesy of a slow fade.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
he canceled the day of, that's early enough to...come home and watch the ALCS or something. yay?

anyway, i'm not that bummed or anything. i just thought it was weird because i feel like he would have known that he was into this other chick before 8:30 this morning, but it really isn't worth thinking about either way.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
8:30 in the morning is early enough to make literally any other fun plans

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
okay

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

he canceled the day of, that's early enough to...come home and watch the ALCS or something. yay?

anyway, i'm not that bummed or anything. i just thought it was weird because i feel like he would have known that he was into this other chick before 8:30 this morning, but it really isn't worth thinking about either way.

better now than after at least, so you don't waste your time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
totally

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

YeahTubaMike posted:

Sounds more like he woke up somewhere he didn't expect to.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
kinda cruel to point out the obvious

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
its entirely normal for relationships to start with non-exclusive dating and then turn into an exclusive thing when both people feel like they've hit it off. how is this concept so alien to people oh yeah i'm posting in the okcupid thread :pwn:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Noctone posted:

kinda cruel to point out the obvious

Yeah was my thought but I was too diplomatic to say it. It's me, the most courteous goon.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

ive juggled 2 dating schedules before for a couple of dates/weeks, and let me tell you, 2nd date of the day goes better because you can just rehash all of your material. you can really sell those anecdotes better because you did them off the cuff on the 1st date of the day. so now you can comfortably act them out again, like telling a joke you've told heaps of times. thats probably the benefits of multi dating tbh

thanks for reading

dont worry date canceled goon (goonette?), theres more internet bums out there to be disappointed from

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think the point was the person cancelled the day of the planned date, and that it's poor form to give such short notice. But I guess that's less important than getting the chance to demonstrate just how well adjusted you are by smugly explaining things to other goons.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
In an ideal world yes the short notice sucks but normally people ghost without a hint, so take that small victory for what it is and look at the glass being half full

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I misread some posts, and thought their shotgun approach implied flaking on some level.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I think we are missing the real shotgun approach to dating here... mass messaged dick pics

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Psycho Society posted:

I think we are missing the real shotgun approach to dating here... mass messaged dick pics

let's be real its more like a derringer pepperbox than a proper shotgun

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Psycho Society posted:

I just sort by female and then have a script that mails thehammerMjölnir.jpg to anyone matching that criteria.

The Wizard of Poz posted:

its entirely normal for relationships to start with non-exclusive dating and then turn into an exclusive thing when both people feel like they've hit it off. how is this concept so alien to people oh yeah i'm posting in the okcupid thread :pwn:

"Non-exclusive dating" isn't really dating its just hanging out and sometimes you bang.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 20, 2015

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
lol at anyone who thinks going on a date with a girl is a bonding tie where you are now forbidden to see anyone else

lol x 2 if you think any girl you go on a date with isn't dating 5 other people

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

scrotum pics. Thoughts?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lol, mono people and their dating

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
okcupid dick pics taught me more about perspective in photography than anything else in life

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Look at you loving neckbeards arguing about the rules of dating.

1. You're just going out with someone you aren't "dating" you may go on a "date" but that is different than "dating".
2. Dating would imply that you are exclusive, going on a date implies you are still judging if you are going to get your skin worn as a coat or not.
3. It is perfectly acceptable to go on dates with several different women in the same time frame.
4. 99.9% of the time the woman will bring up the exclusive conversation, so as a guy sit back date/gently caress and when the question comes up give a bullshit answer and ghost.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mr. McGibblets posted:

4. 99.9% of the time the woman will bring up the exclusive conversation, so as a guy sit back date/gently caress and when the question comes up have an answer.

also when it's come up "look i just want to date and have fun, i'm not looking to pick out china patterns with anyone right now" is often an okay answer, so don't feel like you've gotta lead anyone on to have a generally fun time if that's where you're at with things.

i've gotten a big sigh of relief often as not when the "let's just do casual whatever" thing was mutual

if they're not down with that you're just borrowing future mega-drama to pretend like you are and fake it. even if you do stop dating other people but it's like, begrudgingly.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. McGibblets posted:

4. 99.9% of the time the woman will bring up the exclusive conversation, so as a guy sit back date/gently caress and when the question comes up give a bullshit answer and ghost.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

Just had my date with cutie nerd girl. She's like an omni-nerd or something because she likes too many nerd things. Museums, cosplay, board games, history nerd stuff, action figures or something (didn't pry on that one), fan-fiction, and probably a lot more. Notable exemptions are anime and video games beyond casual stuff like Wii games.

Physically she was a little bigger than her pictures suggested but nothing crazy and she carries it well, plus she has an awesome rack. Don't know if she's a keeper or not but I'm gonna stick it out long enough to wet it up at a minimum! Will report after second date, which is already scheduled for this week.

kill her + urself

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Noctone posted:

Goons using hyperbole to defend minority opinions why I never

Swiping right creates a binding contract between 2 individuals that can only be broken by exchanging bodily fluids.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

neonbregna posted:

Swiping right creates a binding contract between 2 individuals that can only be broken by exchanging bodily fluids.

I told this to a date, almost verbatim. She then spit in my face and said that fulfilled her end of the contract, but I think she's trying to get off on a technicality. Should I lawyer up?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I told this to a date, almost verbatim. She then spit in my face and said that fulfilled her end of the contract, but I think she's trying to get off on a technicality. Should I lawyer up?

Sounds like a one way exchange. Tell her your dilz needs to spit on her face to make the transaction valid

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I enjoy looking at my romantic life as a queueing and scheduling problem, complete with race conditions, livelocks and deadlocks!

You should try double-booking your dates to increase efficiency. Check this out.

Probability that girl cancels on same day: .5; is late/doesn't show up: .3; date is a disaster and have to bail early: .4. Once your account for any other factor and do your probabilities, you might only have a 20% chance of a successful date. As you see it's pretty safe to schedule another meeting to overlap with the later part of the first date, at least. In the edge case that is a successful date, just make up a fake emergency, and you're good.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

mobby_6kl posted:

You should try double-booking your dates to increase efficiency. Check this out.

Probability that girl cancels on same day: .5; is late/doesn't show up: .3; date is a disaster and have to bail early: .4. Once your account for any other factor and do your probabilities, you might only have a 20% chance of a successful date. As you see it's pretty safe to schedule another meeting to overlap with the later part of the first date, at least. In the edge case that is a successful date, just make up a fake emergency, and you're good.

It's the Steiner math of never getting laid.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Hey goons im new to online dating. I will not discuss min/maxing dates because gently caress that. I have a windows phone and it does not have a good tindr. But okcupid has a lot of 30 yr olds. Is there a better alternative for young 20's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

toggle posted:

dont worry date canceled goon (goonette?), theres more internet bums out there to be disappointed from

indeed

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think the point was the person cancelled the day of the planned date, and that it's poor form to give such short notice. But I guess that's less important than getting the chance to demonstrate just how well adjusted you are by smugly explaining things to other goons.

this is it. also, maybe it wasn't clear before, but this was meant to be a first date. again, whatever

been chatting up a metalhead dude who doesn't want kids, and it's been pretty nice

• Locked thread