Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Counter argument: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xd_ZAPZIDk

The iPhone of spacecraft.

All the critical functions are still manual switches though. I'm sure a lot of things will get moved to multi-function displays but manual switches are going to stick around for long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aramoro posted:

All the critical functions are still manual switches though. I'm sure a lot of things will get moved to multi-function displays but manual switches are going to stick around for long time.

Not to mention one good impact on a display taking out multiple system controls vs needing to rip the cockpit in half to do the same amount of damage.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I hope Luke Skywalker has a hand in it.

Well of course, he only has one left.

I will see myself out.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Someone on Tumblr named MuLaserdisc is posting awesome gifs that I’m guessing are filmed off a TV, giving them a nice, analog look.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Trabant posted:

Well, I did say "it's as if". But you tell me -- does this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywWFvjE-yU

look like UI of any kind of Space Future or something that is squarely in 1979?

As an authority, yes this is what future computers look like. your childlike pretty UIs are decadent and wasteful.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Spaceman Future! posted:

As an authority, yes this is what future computers look like. your childlike pretty UIs are decadent and wasteful.

Honestly, do I want to right click on a bunch of bullshit, or cycle through a bunch of context menus on a touch screen

Or just type in some poo poo in a console, will take me like 5 seconds? I know what I'd pick on a space ship.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I hope Luke Skywalker has a hand in it.

He sure as hell won't have two.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

MrBigglesworth posted:

I will see myself out.

Scarf posted:

He sure as hell won't have two.

:thejoke:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ElGroucho posted:

Honestly, do I want to right click on a bunch of bullshit, or cycle through a bunch of context menus on a touch screen

Or just type in some poo poo in a console, will take me like 5 seconds? I know what I'd pick on a space ship.

You could also ask that as "Do I want to click on a Status button, or type in "What's the story, Mother?" Better make sure it's phrased correctly. And that the output can be shown as text. And that you're not in a rush or anything.

In case something's wrong, consult your indicator lights:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
WELCOME 2 THE FUTURE

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Trabant posted:

You could also ask that as "Do I want to click on a Status button, or type in "What's the story, Mother?" Better make sure it's phrased correctly. And that the output can be shown as text. And that you're not in a rush or anything.

In case something's wrong, consult your indicator lights:

That's not standard, Dallas just likes to get high and Space Bedazzle stuff. Even with cryostasis that's still a lot of sitting around with your thumb up your butt and the view doesn't change much in space.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It took me far too many loops to catch on.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
All of the displays in Aliens are wide screen, which would have looked very weird at the time of production, but is pretty much ubiquitous now.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Not again.

veedubfreak has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Oct 21, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

pookerbug posted:

Also, pointed this out in the Star Wars thread...

Does the Star Trek director know they are stealing his poo poo?

Also, something I realized when I was awake at 4AM: the new movie is really Star Wars: The Next Generation

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNN

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

hhhat posted:

Does the Star Trek director know they are stealing his poo poo?

Also, something I realized when I was awake at 4AM: the new movie is really Star Wars: The Next Generation

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNN

Same director for both, JJ Abrams. I think he's a better fit for Star Wars personally.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wapole Languray posted:

Same director for both, JJ Abrams. I think he's a better fit for Star Wars personally.

I think he would agree. I remember him saying that he was a bigger fan of Star Wars than Star Trek and intentionally tried to make the latter more like the former when he got to make it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

joedevola posted:

Is this kid the hero of the new films? In every shot he's in of the trailers he looks loving terrified.

The girl is probably the force sensitive one.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

When I was a really young kid I legit was confused and thought this scene was the same movie (Alien/Spaceballs were the same) somehow. I also got Spaceballs mixed up with Star Wars (Pizza the Hut). What I'm saying is I was a cute little kid.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Wapole Languray posted:

No. Freaking. Way.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

hhhat posted:

No. Freaking. Way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziH9St7ajuw

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Yeah. You reeeeeeally got me pegged there buddy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pretty sure that's Hugo Weaving.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lotish posted:

I think he would agree. I remember him saying that he was a bigger fan of Star Wars than Star Trek and intentionally tried to make the latter more like the former when he got to make it.

theres a youtube video out there showcasing the visual similarities between the OT star wars and his new star trek films and the video makes a prettry good arguement that his star treks were basically a $200 million demo reel to get Episode 7.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pretty sure that's Hugo Weaving.

Hugo Weaving looking pretty drat sexy recently

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Rough Lobster posted:

Hugo Weaving looking pretty drat sexy recently

Heh. 'Recently.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWZfpwL1wN0

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MrBigglesworth posted:

I will see myself out.

It's ok, that's :thejoke:

:perfect:

Jobbo_Fett has a new favorite as of 09:57 on Oct 22, 2015

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

His best film by far.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

ultrabindu posted:

His best film by far.

General Zod was a strange choice of dance partner, but who's gonna tell General Zod no?.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Battle Chess(t) 2000?

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Battle Chess(t) 2000?

Moonstone

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Battle Chess(t) 2000?

o tempora, o mores

loving millennials

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Battle Chess(t) 2000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

I seriously thought this was some sort of fan made 16-bit dark souls animation. Even the pvp looks very similar.