Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Met posted:

PvE fighty? You shouldn't really use B or C unless you're trying to be really economical at the expense of weight and power.

NEVER use E. D is lighter.

The Vulture doesn't need all the extra shield stuff, but I did upgrade your shield from a B to an A. The Vulture's defense is it's mobility. Lateral thrust around your targets while you laser them apart. Feel free to use whatever bulkheads you want. Lighter has more mobility.

Added Chaff.

Added a Advanced Discovery Scanner to your empty internal. If I'm doing missions I like to see the entire system that I'm in. It's not necessary though. Add more Cargo or something if you prefer.

Gave you a size 4 cargo container and put your interdictor in the size 1.

Toss a heat sink or two in one of those empty utilities if you want to smuggle or confuse missiles. Might have to turn off the cargo hatch module though.

This build is mainly for mission running. If that's not what you're looking for we can figure something else for you.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5A4A3D5A4D3C1e1e0m00--4a032o662f.Iw19kA==.MwBhCYylgRigLEkQ

That's a nice build, and it definitely gives the Vulture a bit more versatility. I was speccing my Vulture pretty much exclusively for wrecking poo poo, hence the lack of a discovery scanner. The chaff is a good touch. I haven't really used them yet but given I'm mostly tanking heavy ships that're likely using turrets, it's a great add and I'll fold that into my combat spec. I'm not sure about the cargo space though, what I did have was a cursory qualifier for courier and advancement missions.

The lower-spec shield was mostly because I haven't found a 5A yet. I'm in Tabaldak for the community shootmans goal and 5b is the highest I've seen.

I decided to keep the cargo space. Here's what it looks like now.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5B4A3D5A4B3C1e1e0m000b-4e032o-66.Iw19kA==.Aw19kA==?bn=DFS%20I%20Blame%20Your%20Mother

And here's my incomplete Clipper
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_...l%20End%20Badly

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

slidebite posted:

I have yet to come across a single black hole. Anywhere. And I've had it since beta.

:saddowns:

orange juche posted:

Maia B is the closest one. Black holes are extremely rare, and they're worth the trip to go see.

Maia is about 450 LY from Goat Space, so you can go there and be back in about 30 minutes, and if you check around and scan all the things that short little jaunt is worth about a million credits with an Advanced Discovery Scanner and a Detailed Surface Scanner.

HIP 34707 has a black hole, is only 189 light years from Sol, and has inhabited systems right next door. HIP 63835 is also closer than Maia, and it has :frogsiren: three black holes :frogsiren:. But Maia is pretty close too, and is extra cool because it's in a sexy nebula.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Anyone have a good build for an Anaconda Explorer, off the top of their head? I've been fooling around with down-rating modules and fittings, but I haven't found a fit I'm really comfortable with.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Zaardvark posted:

Anyone have a good build for an Anaconda Explorer, off the top of their head? I've been fooling around with down-rating modules and fittings, but I haven't found a fit I'm really comfortable with.

I just whipped up a completely no-frills Exploraconda here. Season with additional modules to taste, but the enormous default jump range of the Anaconda lets you play with internal fittings with a minimal hit to LY covered; you can also remove the additional fuel tank to bump the single-jump range to 37.21 LY if you're careful about navigating with regard to scoopable stars.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Zaardvark posted:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/02A5D6A5D1D8D5C----------------3h11-------2i2f.AwRj4yVTjqxA.Aw18ZlA=?bn=Explorer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

orange juche posted:

Love can bloom even when two ships are caught on the edge of the largest gravitational singularity in the galaxy.

Put this in the OP :kimchi:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

But seriously, Frontier better come out with a real high-end explorer soon. Taking the most expensive multi-role ship and ripping everything out to boost it's jump range is one of the sillier things in Elite.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Paramemetic posted:

As the official Clipper fanboy in this land, I feel like I should come give some words of advice on Clippers.

1) Clipper is not Vulture maneuverable. It has very weak vertical thrust and its pitch rate is not as quick. It's one of the few ships that you really need to FA off and abuse thrusters to pitch adequately with.

2) That said, Clipper is aaaaamaaaazingggg at lateral thrusting and yawing. It will lat thrust and yaw better than any ship in the game besides Couriers. Clipper is for ghost riding various whips.

3) Any guns on a Clipper are good guns, provided they are gimballed. You can turret the medium slots if you're lazy, then if someone does that annoying "fly right overhead on you" thing, you just roll over and let them eat those lasers again.

4) Anyone who is saying they routinely dunk on Clippers and so on must be talking about PVE, because PVP they are one of the top two ships, period. Sometimes you get pilots who are bad in them and cannot ram, especially now that they are rank-free, but generally Clippers are bad news bears and also ramming owns.

5) Ramming owns, ram everything. The Clipper is a large kinetic weapon with some lasers attached. If you're real pro, remember you have giaaaant wings, so if you miss the ram the first time, just roll violently as you are passing under and try to slap them with your fin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0qMT2YBIcg actual video of me in a Clipper starts at 28 seconds

I would like to confirm everything that paramemetic is saying with some additional information!

- The hallmark of the clipper is that it can own anything smaller than it, and run from anything bigger than it. Oh, but any ship a clipper can own can't run from it, except for a stripped down and mostly defenseless speed cobra. It is essentially the perfect piracy ship.

- Its issues with driftiness have less to do with lateral thrusters and more to do with its extremely large mass. We just don't THINK it should drift as much as it does because it handles in a way that tricks us into feeling like we're flying a nimble dogfighter, but it remains a large and heavy craft whose mass retains a lot of momentum.

- The absolute optimum combat loadout is two large pulse lasers and two medium multicannons, all gimballed. they are so much kinder on your capacitor, and allow you to fight with more pips in engines. a probably slightly less optimum loadout but one with some potential to be more fun and with more contingency is large pulse, medium pulse, medium pulse, all gimballed, and one heavy fixed beam laser on one of your wings. if you can stand the odd lopsidedness of your fixed beam, you can hit things with the gimballed when you can't laser sword them with the fixed beam, and then laser sword them when they're unable to get out of your crosshairs at all. Also gives you something to do during loving chaff

- The clipper acts like a carry hero. Starts very mediocre but well worth the initial 15-20 million price tag, and then can be progressively and steadily upgraded to keep pace with your funding well beyond 100 million credits worth of clipper. This is the best way to progress for anyone lucky enough or patient enough to have handled the lovely faction grind part.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

If you really like black holes and giant blue stars, the stellar nursery area NGC 7822 (about 3k LY from the bubble I think) has a shitload of both. I made notes the last time I was there so if anyone wants really pretty stars in a nebula with lots of black holes to scan, here's where they all are:
code:
S171 2 - 1 black hole (11k Ls)
S171 3
S171 4
S171 5
S171 6
S171 7 - 1 black hole
S171 8 - 2 black holes (23Ls and 383Ls)
S171 9 - 3 black holes (80k Ls)
S171 10
S171 11 - 2 black holes (both 9k Ls, possible accretion disc at some point on one of the 9ks)
S171 12 - 1 black hole (217k Ls)
S171 13
S171 14
S171 15 - 2 black holes
S171 16 - 1 black hole (2.9k Ls)
S171 17 - the star is loving huge
S171 18
S171 19 - 1 black hole (312k Ls)
S171 20
S171 21 - 1 black hole (190k Ls)
S171 22
S171 23 - 1 black hole
S171 24 - 1 black hole (5k Ls)
S171 25
S171 26
S171 27
S171 28
S171 29
S171 30 - 1 black hole
S171 31
S171 32 - 1 black hole (4.5k Ls)
S171 33 - 1 black hole
S171 34
S171 35 - 1 black hole (60k Ls)
S171 36 - 2 black holes (50k Ls and 7k Ls, possible accretion disc at some point on the 7k)
S171 37
S171 39 - 1 black hole (50k Ls)
S171 40
S171 41
S171 42
S171 43 - 1 black hole (300k Ls)
S171 44
S171 45 - 1 black hole (17k Ls)
S171 46
S171 47 - 1 black hole (7k Ls)
S171 48 - 2 black holes (450k Ls)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
oh man I would scope out all those holes if I wasn't locked into that long of a ride

Kind of wish I could explore on one ship but switch back to someone in civilization if I want to shootmans for a while

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can do that with CQC mode right?

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
Question for the Clipper pilots around here:

I bought one a long time ago, but at the time I couldn't afford to spec it out very well and just ended up really just not caring for it at all coming from the Vulture so I just shelved it.

Also, before leaving the space princess faction, I bought a bunch of her green shields and stowed them away on ships gathering dust, because gently caress dealing with the powerplay bullshit again and I might want the gear later, so I have a spare of every size up to 6 sitting around.

With the Clipper talk, I've been playing around with some configs to give it another chance and it looks like the size 6 prismatic MJ rating is basically slightly better than the size 7 regular A shield, except it is way more power hungry and the optimal/max sizes are different. I have the cash to completely deck this out with some breathing room:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_...Clipper%20Build

(No specific purpose, just kinda dicking around, some RES, running cargo, honking the horn on the way. I expect I'd put something other than a cargo bay in the size 7 if I actually like the Clipper this time around once I figure out what I like doing in it - if nothing else a powered down 7B shield cell bank)

But another +25 Million for Class A size 7 shield I just don't have right now without selling poo poo I can't be bothered to go do... As you can see, I can squeeze out the power, but is the optimal/max size thing an issue? :)

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
A 6A prismatic is way cooler on a clipper than a 7A regular. Frees up a lot of cargo space. A 7A prismatic is at that point where you have finally overwhelmed the Clipper's 50% of optimal mass and your death boost speed has begun to come down from its optimal 441 KPH.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, what's the best way for me to rank up with the Federation? I became a Midshipman prior to Powerplay, and stopped playing until recently. Should I be pledging to Hudson and doing whatever he needs doing, or can I remain totally powerplay-free and just do bounties or whatever? Since I really want to get a FAS now, however it appears that I've got some rank grinding ahead of me, and I'm a bit rusty with this game.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

This stupid loving game. Yes, please interdict me 10 times in a row (that are magically inescapable) right in front of my target station, when i'm trying to finish a 1 million credit cargo mission. And then somehow get me stuck inside the wall of the station while i'm entering the slot, causing me to fail the mission by like 20 seconds :frontear: :argh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rah! posted:

This stupid loving game. Yes, please interdict me 10 times in a row (that are magically inescapable) right in front of my target station, when i'm trying to finish a 1 million credit cargo mission. And then somehow get me stuck inside the wall of the station while i'm entering the slot, causing me to fail the mission by like 20 seconds :frontear: :argh:

yeeeeah, I really wish there was a bit of enforced downtime when you submit and bounce again. I will say it seems a bit better, if you're interdicted that close, to intentionally overshoot your target station and then do a swoop around it while braking hard. I don't know if it's a fluke of the AI, but it seems to throw them off long enough for a proper drop.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'd guess it's because you have to be tailing your target to interdict. Ships turning hard at low speed can be really loving hard to get into position to interdict.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

OriginalPseudonym posted:

yeeeeah, I really wish there was a bit of enforced downtime when you submit and bounce again. I will say it seems a bit better, if you're interdicted that close, to intentionally overshoot your target station and then do a swoop around it while braking hard. I don't know if it's a fluke of the AI, but it seems to throw them off long enough for a proper drop.

It's not like i really need the 1 million, it's just annoying. Also I exaggerated a little. I got interdicted 3 times in front of the station (one of which launched me from only 1.5Mm all the way to 8ls away from the station), and like half a dozen times in the 10 minutes before that, all within uninhabited systems (and then glitching out inside the station wall was the icing on the cake). Literally every uninhabited system I dropped into during my 400+ ly trip had pirates waiting to try and gently caress me, which never happens when you're just flying around with no missions...which seems like a pretty stupid way to do things. Apparently pirates are psychic, and can sense across hundreds of light years when a mission has been taken, and then they figure out exactly what your route will be and lie in wait for you.

edit: though on the bright side, I tried mining for the first time, and it was surprisingly fun.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 25, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rah! posted:

It's not like i really need the 1 million, it's just annoying. Also I exaggerated a little. I got interdicted 3 times in front of the station (one of which launched me from only 1.5Mm all the way to 8ls away from the station), and like half a dozen times in the 10 minutes before that, all within uninhabited systems (and then glitching out inside the station wall was the icing on the cake). Literally every uninhabited system I dropped into during my 400+ ly trip had pirates waiting to try and gently caress me, which never happens when you're just flying around with no missions...which seems like a pretty stupid way to do things. Apparently pirates are psychic, and can sense across hundreds of light years when a mission has been taken, and then they figure out exactly what your route will be and lie in wait for you.

They're not the only ones. 20+ uninhabited systems between Sothis and the bubble, and it's a rare day when one doesn't have at least one person with important information for you. More than once I've had 5 in the same system. I wonder if they get together and have potlucks while waiting for PCs.

I realize it's hard to "stumble across things" in a space that's literally 8k Ly in radius or so, but I feel like they need to turn the dial on the random encounters down a hair.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 25, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

OriginalPseudonym posted:

They're not the only ones. 20+ uninhabited systems between Sothis and the bubble, and it's a rare day when one doesn't have at least one person with important information for you. More than once I've had 5 in the same system. I wonder if they get together and have potlucks while waiting for PCs.

It's extra funny when you stack a bunch of a bounty hunting missions for the same system, and then 5 seconds after you drop in, 50 NPCs spawn on your location.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xnoObGBcsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3zwpmmC1DM

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

3 posted:

I just whipped up a completely no-frills Exploraconda here. Season with additional modules to taste, but the enormous default jump range of the Anaconda lets you play with internal fittings with a minimal hit to LY covered; you can also remove the additional fuel tank to bump the single-jump range to 37.21 LY if you're careful about navigating with regard to scoopable stars.

Speaking of Anaconda explorers, does anyone know for certain whether route planning jump distances are determined by the current fuel, or a full tank?

I ask because you can get some absolutely hilarious range if you just fill up the internal modules with fuel tanks -- 1400-ish LY without refueling -- but obviously your jump range goes to poo poo with that much fuel, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to have the tanks there for the easy areas of space, then just not fill up when you need longer jumps.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Speaking of Anaconda explorers, does anyone know for certain whether route planning jump distances are determined by the current fuel, or a full tank?

I ask because you can get some absolutely hilarious range if you just fill up the internal modules with fuel tanks -- 1400-ish LY without refueling -- but obviously your jump range goes to poo poo with that much fuel, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to have the tanks there for the easy areas of space, then just not fill up when you need longer jumps.

Route planning is def. current tank, given how many times I've had to check and modify routes to go to scoopable stars when doing cobra sothis runs (god drat fuel guzzlers :bahgawd:). I've had several occasions when my routes show me that I'm 2-3 jumps from running out of fuel, when my full load is closer to 6-7.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I have a weird problem.

I just got back into the game after a few weeks of not playing, and when I got back in, the game indicated that my Asp has 10 CR's worth of damage that needs to be repaired. However, regardless of how many times I click the "repair all" button, the "10 CR" never goes away.

I already tried getting my hull damaged deliberately and repairing. The game repaired everything (1000 CR's worth of damage) except for whatever the 10 CR represented, so I still have the "10 CR" there not going away.

It doesn't affect game play otherwise but is very annoying. Has any one had this problem before?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

sincx posted:

I have a weird problem.

I just got back into the game after a few weeks of not playing, and when I got back in, the game indicated that my Asp has 10 CR's worth of damage that needs to be repaired. However, regardless of how many times I click the "repair all" button, the "10 CR" never goes away.

I already tried getting my hull damaged deliberately and repairing. The game repaired everything (1000 CR's worth of damage) except for whatever the 10 CR represented, so I still have the "10 CR" there not going away.

It doesn't affect game play otherwise but is very annoying. Has any one had this problem before?

I have it, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it is a known bug but it doesn't really affect anything so *shrug*

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a trick to finding painite and platinum? I stopped at a pristine metal rich ring, and it seemed like i was able to find most kinds of metals and minerals but not those (i managed to get a lot of gold, silver, and osmium, plus a bunch of low value garbage that i left behind). Do i just have to keep looking until i finally find it? Do i need to find metallic rings to up my chances of finding the highest value metals, and rocky rings for the highest value minerals, or something?

sincx posted:

I have a weird problem.

You don't actually have any damage, It's just a glitch that showed up with the 1.4 update. I have it too, as does everyone else as far as I know.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
It's your paint. It's not being repaired, but after a recent update it causes your ship to register as needing repairs.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rah! posted:

Is there a trick to finding painite and platinum? I stopped at a pristine metal rich ring, and it seemed like i was able to find most kinds of metals and minerals but not those (i managed to get a lot of gold, silver, and osmium, plus a bunch of low value garbage that i left behind). Do i just have to keep looking until i finally find it? Do i need to find metallic rings to up my chances of finding the highest value metals, and rocky rings for the highest value minerals, or something?

Yes, pristine metallic rings is where you find the premium stuff - even there painite is kinda rare, when you find that one sweet 30% painite rock though...

Metal rich have the second best spawn table, filling a hold with osmium gold and palladium is still a big fat payout!

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Rah! posted:

Go for metallic, not metal rich. Metal rich are for poors. Go to metallic with a crapton of limpets and prospect around. You want Osmium, Platinum, and Painite. Because people in space are down with OPP. Haul it to a nearby refinery station. Go to the bulletin board. Trade each unit of your haul for 70-100K credits through the missions there. Be rich.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

How's the FAS vs. the IC? They both have the same hardpoints but I have no idea about handling. I just like the look of the FAS.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Valatar posted:

Go for metallic, not metal rich. Metal rich are for poors. Go to metallic with a crapton of limpets and prospect around. You want Osmium, Platinum, and Painite. Because people in space are down with OPP. Haul it to a nearby refinery station. Go to the bulletin board. Trade each unit of your haul for 70-100K credits through the missions there. Be rich.

Gold and palladium are both worth more than osmium, so it's better to look for PPPGO.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Man, the Kaushpoos Community Goal has reminded me why I love this game. Sneaking past pirates with a full load of gold by dropping out of frameshift randomly, easily escaping from three anacondas that did interdict me because anacondas are fat and slow, and of course getting into arguments about queuing:

I started wondering why I'd got bored of this before I came back to it, then I remembered that PowerPlay encourages people to stay away from each other rather than have fun. :frontear:

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
Are the demand levels on the Kooshpoosh market still tanked or did they fix it? Is this CG worth doing money wise?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

double riveting posted:

Are the demand levels on the Kooshpoosh market still tanked or did they fix it? Is this CG worth doing money wise?

They never looked tanked to me, I always make a good 1,200 or more per ton from the metals I sell to the station alone.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Right now I think copper is the only thing you trade at a loss, but the prices aren't particularly good for anything else, nothing is in demand, etc. Copper is where it is because there is a nearly endless supply at a station 2ly away in WOLF 318.

These are the metal prices right now.

I will say it's probably worth getting at least one load of metal there, since it's just about to tier 5, and tier 4 gives you 1.5mil for the lowest level of participation. Tier 5 is also halfway to the max at 20million tons.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

AndroidHub posted:

Right now I think copper is the only thing you trade at a loss, but the prices aren't particularly good for anything else, nothing is in demand, etc. Copper is where it is because there is a nearly endless supply at a station 2ly away in WOLF 318.

I will say it's probably worth getting at least one load of metal there, since it's just about to tier 5, and tier 4 gives you 1.5mil for the lowest level of participation. Tier 5 is also halfway to the max at 20million tons.

Thanks a lot, friend. :hfive:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Promotion opportunity finally came up in the Federal grind, and a lot of mission options appeared. I could assassinate a troublesome politician, steal resources from the enemy and make it back with them in one piece, rush a delivery of orders to some remote outpost in just thirty minutes, or... deliver 14 tons of tea sometime in the next ten hours. Hm.

By the way, whoever suggested rerolling the bulletin board to sell painite and platinum and osmium is great. Frey 4 and Garratt Station is a pretty good way to make money mining if you're into clicking rocks.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sard posted:

By the way, whoever suggested rerolling the bulletin board to sell painite and platinum and osmium is great. Frey 4 and Garratt Station is a pretty good way to make money mining if you're into clicking rocks.

Yes, I usually come back from mining trips with around 70 tons of mission worthy metal, at 80-100k per ton it makes for a very nice payout :)

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Shine posted:

Gold and palladium are both worth more than osmium, so it's better to look for PPPGO.

Rolling missions is easily 5-10x the income of just mining and selling so I'm with the side of OPP. When I started, I threw away osmium, then noticed I was missing out on at least a million each trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

AndroidHub posted:

Pls post your color settings.

• Locked thread