Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Namtab posted:

This season is very boring, the opposite of what doctor who should be!

Counterpoint: It's actually you who are the boring one.

Your move. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Picklepuss posted:

I have never understand why she's so beloved by the fans. Don't get me wrong, I liked Sarah Jane but I don't get it. Why her? :confused:

She was a professional woman who had and occasionally got to use her skillset proactively instead of only being a damsel-in-distress. She was kidnapped as much as any other companion of course, but she still had an air of competence and self-direction even when terrified.

I am delighted by pretty much all of the side-humans of Who (Dodo and latter-day Adric excepted), but she is a high point of the Classic series for more than just being there when Tom Baker was. Also she is a top-tier cutie who I want to hug forever.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Chokes McGee posted:

Counterpoint: It's actually you who are the boring one.

Your move. :smuggo:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Well played, CobiWann. Well played indeed.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Picklepuss posted:

I have never understand why she's so beloved by the fans. Don't get me wrong, I liked Sarah Jane but I don't get it. Why her? :confused:

Mostly Lis Sladen being a top-class actor and having drat good chemistry with Tom Baker. (Being around during one of the best written + produced eras of the show didn't hurt either.)

That's really what all the truly great Doctor-companion teams have in common: drat good chemistry.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 28, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mr Beens posted:

I think you are getting a bit carried away with future certainties based on just this announcement of 3 stories with Tennant.

I can't see how they could NOT plan on doing more with the new series. It's not like they're just gonna pack it in and say "whelp, that was fun." I also can't see these stories not selling well, unless I greatly underestimate the overlap of new series/10 fans and BF listeners.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why would you want that? Why are people still assuming that Moffat wanted her to reappear when she didn't die at the end, rather than just saying it was hacky to have her die?

She's a charismatic Time Lady running around the universe having adventures, so there's a lot of stories to tell. As an actress, she'd be well acquainted with the process and people having heard all about it from her family, so she probably would have a good vibe about working with BF. And if Moffat really isn't planning on doing anything with her, it'd be good to do SOMETHING with her. She's also a blank slate as far as characterization, so you can go in a ton of directions.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Is this where I can complain that I hate the stupid sunglasses and was hoping they were gone after he broke them?
Am I missing a major joke here or did they use a pair of unwieldy sunglasses to replace a very iconic piece of tech? Next they will replace the TARDIS with a space tourbus....

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Hopper posted:

Is this where I can complain that I hate the stupid sunglasses and was hoping they were gone after he broke them?
Am I missing a major joke here or did they use a pair of unwieldy sunglasses to replace a very iconic piece of tech? Next they will replace the TARDIS with a space tourbus....

Oh please! a Time and Space tour-bus.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hopper posted:

Well, to be honest the screwdriver's not nearly as iconic to the series as you might imagine from the revival. Someone more knowledgeable in the old series would be more accurate than I am, but not only was it never used as heavily in the classic series as the revival leaned on it, it was actually destroyed in the Fifth Doctor's run and never returned during the entire classic series. It's far more of a new series thing than a classic one.

I don't expect the shades to be a massively long-term thing, but I think they suit Capaldi a lot more than the screwdriver did, and I wouldn't expect to lose them until we get either a new Doctor or a new showrunner. I like that they seem to be pulling their weight in terms of being a story presence, personally; whenever they turn up either they're doing something a lot more tangible than the screwdriver normally would (like the holograms in Under the Lake/Before the Flood) or the fact that they're actually shades is coming into play (like their use as a mask in The Woman Who Lived).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but, otoh, did you see how they clumsily had him "plug" them into the console in "Under the Lake/Before the Flood" it would not be so bad if they did not force it so much. Sunglasses and guitar at the same time is a bit much.
Nothing wrong with a pair is stunner shades and using them in a creative glasses like fashion, but using them as a tool is just weird. It would almost be better to have a sonic guitar pick for that purpose.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My only complaint is that they went with something that looks like 80s style Ray Bans. After their initial popularity in the USA, those were seen as the cheapest of the cheap at one point. They even gave away knock offs at Mcdonalds during their Mac Tonight Campaign.

Get the man some cool shades!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

An Ounce of Gold posted:

My only complaint is that they went with something that looks like 80s style Ray Bans. After their initial popularity in the USA, those were seen as the cheapest of the cheap at one point. They even gave away knock offs at Mcdonalds during their Mac Tonight Campaign.

Bow ties.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The guitar and the shades work for me in a meta way, because they symbolize Capaldi's past as a rocker and act as a cool balance to his obsession with past early Doctors. Without them, his homages to 1-4 in costuming and attitude would be overdone. With them he's his own Doctor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hopper posted:

Next they will replace the TARDIS with a space tourbus....

Well, someone hasn't seen Delta and the Bannermen!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Reviewed by the Discontinuity Guide - a book co-authored by thread favourite Paul Cornell! - as:

"Confident, slick, and hugely enjoyable from beginning to end"

Sounds like a real classic, everyone go buy it on DVD. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Delta-Bannermen-DVD/dp/B001UHO12U

Only £6.90!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I...I like Delta and the Bannermen.

:negative:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I...I like Delta and the Bannermen.

:negative:

See, 100% positive feedback on this page. Greatest story in the programme's history

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I..uh.. too enjoy Delta and the Bannermen.

It's a larf! A dumb silly goof.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Let's keep this positivity train going! It's not like I'm going to note down names in case I get the chance to do some Doctor Who based purges later in life!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Let's keep this positivity train going! It's not like I'm going to note down names in case I get the chance to do some Doctor Who based purges later in life!

That's it, all you Bannerman fans just get back on the tour bus and ignore the death ray...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Read what you just wrote. You want the DOCTOR to have trendy, fashionable clothing and accessories?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

An Ounce of Gold posted:

He's wearing Wayfarers, their design predates the show and are about as iconic a pair of sunglasses as you'll find.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't hate Delta and the Bannermen!

I've never seen Delta and the Bannermen.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Delta And The Bannermen is the second best story of Season 24.

The best being Paradise Towers.

Also I just noticed, but both Delta and Dragonfire have a bit where a ship full of innocent people gets blown up because the villain feels like it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gone through the Amazon reviews and downvoted the 5 star ones and upvoted the 1 star ones.

Are you doing your part?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Hopper posted:

Next they will replace the TARDIS with a space tourbus....

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Gone through the Amazon reviews and downvoted the 5 star ones and upvoted the 1 star ones.

Are you doing your part?

You stop that right now.

I have my mouse over a negative Amazon review for The Caves of Androzani. All I have to do is click on this button, and history may change for the worse. Someone might see this review, skip over it, and end up buying a copy of Space 1999. Both seasons. To hold such power in my hand…

Just move away from the reviews, MrL_JaKiri, and no one has to get hurt.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

You stop that right now.

I have my mouse over a negative Amazon review for The Caves of Androzani. All I have to do is click on this button, and history may change for the worse. Someone might see this review, skip over it, and end up buying a copy of Space 1999. Both seasons. To hold such power in my hand…

code:
Hartnell	17	58.62068966	3
Troughton	13	61.9047619	3
Pertwee		15	62.5		3.4
Baker		25	60.97560976	2.88
Davison		12	60		2.25
Baker		7	63.63636364	2.285714286
McCoy		8	66.66666667	3.125
Total		97	62.58064516	2.896907216
Science shows that Davison's era is the worst (from a sample of about 3/5) so you're just doing them a favour really

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CobiWann posted:

You stop that right now.

To have in your reach such power...to know that the tiny pressure of your finger, enough to push the button, would end everything...that power would set you up above the gods!

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

To have in your reach such power...to know that the tiny pressure of your finger, enough to push the button, would end everything...that power would set you up above the gods!
And through Amazon he shall have that power!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
But does he have the right?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Just got around to watching these episodes, and finally this season I got 2 I liked. They were funny where they needed to be, posed interesting moral questions other places, and was well acted all around. And ended on a redemption and pretty optimistic note. So drat happy about these 2. More like this, please.

I loved the idea of the diaries, because the human mind can only hold so much. Also, loved the Doctor proclaiming himself to be Odin, only to have Odin appear in the sky. Loved it.

edit: Though I still feel like we could lose the guitar scenes and not be worse for it, but they're...fine, whatever. Just placed there for no real reason.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 28, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dabir posted:

I don't hate Delta and the Bannermen!

I've never seen Delta and the Bannermen.

Believe it or not...same. :negative:

That one week when it aired on PBS back in the 80s I missed it, and never had the chance to see it again since. Well I guess I could go to Dailymotion, but subsequent reviews have made me less than interested in taking the effort...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well, someone hasn't seen Delta and the Bannermen!

The world is full of people luckier than me :smith:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm basing most of my opinion on that serial on Sara Griffiths being very easy to look at and that I have a thing for women with Welsh accents.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Barry Foster posted:

:mad:

(slams Barry Foster's hand onto mouse, holding finger just above left button, cursor above "Ban Me" tag)

The boss gave me this link. Ten seconds, he said! Let's see if it works. Come on, you slag, post! Come on, POST ! POST!

(releases Barry's hand)

Next time, it'll be for real. And in case you lunkheads get any other ideas, there's something I haven't told you. That login page? It won't open without a password. So if you guys want to see your Bookmarks again, you'd better make pretty certain nothing ever happens to that Caves review.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gaz-L posted:

Mostly by value of the Doctor himself. Hard to have that feeling when the main source of unknowable godlike power is entirely benevolent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When someone talks about Council, what do they mean? Is that just the British name for local government?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

After The War posted:

:mad:

(slams Barry Foster's hand onto mouse, holding finger just above left button, cursor above "Ban Me" tag)

The boss gave me this link. Ten seconds, he said! Let's see if it works. Come on, you slag, post! Come on, POST ! POST!

(releases Barry's hand)

Next time, it'll be for real. And in case you lunkheads get any other ideas, there's something I haven't told you. That login page? It won't open without a password. So if you guys want to see your Bookmarks again, you'd better make pretty certain nothing ever happens to that Caves review.

You have the avatar of a prattling jackanapes. But your posts, they tell a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

twistedmentat posted:

When someone talks about Council, what do they mean? Is that just the British name for local government?

Yes, town/city/borough council.

• Locked thread