Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought a Sleep Innovations because it was what I could afford. Oddly enough, I put my old memory topper on it because it was just a little too firm.

Now it's perfecto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Simone Poodoin posted:

I use one of these for lunch:

http://amzn.to/1GX31Vb

I pack it at home in the morning around 8AM and it's still hot when I eat it at 1PM.

I also pack my snacks in these:

http://amzn.to/1Lq6u2r

Works pretty well for me.

I second this. It's what I use and it's perfect if you like to eat small meals throughout the day.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

theHUNGERian posted:

Me again.

Looking for a recommendation for a chair. I will use this chair for PC work and for watching TV, so it should be comfortable and ergonomic. While I do have a desk, I like to use my keyboard in my lap and have the mouse on the armrest. Ideally, this new chair would allow me to continue this practice.

Thanks.

If you just want a quick answer: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/

Buy this.

Eglamore
Apr 19, 2005

Walker told me I have AIDS.
Not that it helps you get an answer, but I'd actually recommend not buying that chair. Mine has fabric rips and wear. I mean it lasted a few years, and the back support is pretty good, but it's also the first thing to fail on it. For a $200 chair there's better options.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Eglamore posted:

Not that it helps you get an answer, but I'd actually recommend not buying that chair. Mine has fabric rips and wear. I mean it lasted a few years, and the back support is pretty good, but it's also the first thing to fail on it. For a $200 chair there's better options.

I've have the dark grey one for about a year, and haven't seen any problems like that.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
This is a bit of an odd question, but I'm curious as to whether it's possible to get a slow cooker that is able to work on both UK and US voltages without having to use an adapter for one of the voltages.

Honestly, I don't even know if this is possible, let alone with a slow cooker.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jeherrin posted:

This is a bit of an odd question, but I'm curious as to whether it's possible to get a slow cooker that is able to work on both UK and US voltages without having to use an adapter for one of the voltages.

For a slow cooker, you will probably need a transformer because it works by putting wall power directly through a heating element. It is the kind of appliance that is usually not made to be compatible with multiple voltages. A crafty manufacturer could make something with a switch to change between different heating elements for not too much money, but I couldn't find any.

For devices with a switching AC-DC power supply (things like computers or USB chargers), it is easier (though still a bit more expensive) to make the appliance work over a wide input voltage range, but slow cookers aren't made that way because it is less efficient and more expensive. You could make that system yourself by getting a slow cooker designed to run off DC, something like this model for RVs and pairing it with a 10A 12V power supply that will accept 100-240V and has a 'cigarette lighter' connector. But now you are using an adapter for both voltages...

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Do Apps count as products? I need a replacement app to watch Youtube on iOS, since the new youtube app is horrible. I don't mind paying for something decent.

Recommend me!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Do Apps count as products? I need a replacement app to watch Youtube on iOS, since the new youtube app is horrible. I don't mind paying for something decent.

Recommend me!

Protube. You can also background play

Jeherrin posted:

I'm no electrician but like 95% of electronics in the year of our lord 2015 have built in converters. If you read that small unreadable stamped in print it should say 120/240 or whatever the two are. Down to the little Apple charging brick. A lot of people travel and think they need a converter when merely all you need is adapter regardless of what physical prongs it has

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Nov 3, 2015

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
I'm in the market for a sub $100 personal printer. I'm a teacher, so I have access to a copier, I would just like a printer for my desk so I wouldn't have to find someone to watch my kids so I could run upstairs if I'm missing one or two copies of an assignment. I would also like to be able to print an occasional color picture for class purposes.

I'm currently looking at this Brother printer.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFCJ450DW-Wireless-Scanner-Printer/dp/B00EANURCE

Anyone have any recommendations?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Get a nice brother black/white laser printer and then a lovely generic bubble jet for the occasional color thing

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Get a nice brother black/white laser printer and then a lovely generic bubble jet for the occasional color thing

Which one did you end up going with?

Also why are you always in the threads I am looking at.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

One of these. Goon in SA mart sells toner.

Brother DCPL2540DW Wireless Compact Laser Printer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFG57ZK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_DZNpwb9Q0GHJW

But I needed scanning/copying. Also double sided is cool

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

One of these. Goon in SA mart sells toner.

Brother DCPL2540DW Wireless Compact Laser Printer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFG57ZK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_DZNpwb9Q0GHJW

But I needed scanning/copying. Also double sided is cool

Hah, that's the same printer I have in my cart...

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The 2340DW/2360DW/2380DW are nice little printers, although the quality on them isn't super awesome. Mine is a 2360DW, and it's great for everything except images with lots of black. If you're printing shitloads of handouts that could be B/W it would be fine. They're a little expensive on Amazon for some reason, I thought they'd generally go for less.
On the other hand, if you've got access to school printers/copiers and are doing your bulk printing there, a standard color inkjet would probably be a better choice for your desk printer. The Epson WF3620 should work fine as an all-in-one, but the Brother you linked seems reasonable. It has duplex and reviews well, sounds good.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Please everyone, tell me every fine minutia detail of your hopefully heavenly new bed experience. I work a butt hosed shift schedule that puts sleep at a premium. Right now, I'm looking for all the advice I can get, especially as regards Casper (cause I'm poor).

Just finished my first week in my Leesa mattress, and I like it very much. I'm no expert in this field, so I can't give a comparison to other mattresses or a bang-for-buck evaluation.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cornuto posted:

If you just want a quick answer: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/

Buy this.

I'll be testing out a Herman Miller Mirra/Aeron/Embody next weekend.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Just finished my first week in my Leesa mattress, and I like it very much. I'm no expert in this field, so I can't give a comparison to other mattresses or a bang-for-buck evaluation.

Also FWIW apparently Leesa uses a new latex foam whatever that is cooler than the Casper. I read this a while ago so I don't know if Casper has since switched over but something to consider.

My Casper does get quite warm but I have it directly on carpet like a filthy bachelorAnd it's not exactly a hot area so I don't mind. Got a water proof cooling sheet which helps a bit. Going to get a frame with slats, should help a bit

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

theHUNGERian posted:

I'll be testing out a Herman Miller Mirra/Aeron/Embody next weekend.

I've had an Aeron chair for over 10 years now and it's still amazing.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't forget to look in local papers for business liquidations, especially if you're in a tech office area. You can probably nab a used aeron for super cheap

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm thinking my thermostat is starting to act up as it's not kicking the furnace on properly. Or the control stuff in the furnace is going bad, but either way I want to replace this 1992 thing with something more modern and fancy. Any particular recommendations on that front?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Nest

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I was about gawk at the price but apparently my state will give me $50 for buying it so hey this could be neat and good. Thanks

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LethalGeek posted:

I was about gawk at the price but apparently my state will give me $50 for buying it so hey this could be neat and good. Thanks

Just buy a $20 programmable thermostat and call it a day, Nests are over-hyped and over-rated.

KoB
May 1, 2009
But you can adjust your thermostat from bed/couch/work.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

KoB posted:

But you can adjust your thermostat from bed/couch/work./toilet

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Nests are good but some HVAC systems can freak out with them. Mine did and it gave me anxiety the whole time afraid that $200 device was going to cost be a few thousand in repairs. I brought it back and replaced it with a Honeywell smart thermostat. When we go to inevitably replace our upstairs hvac, I may reconsider the Nest.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I got a programmable honeywell as well last winter, it seems to work pretty well. It was in the $40 range as I recall.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I need some good chapstick, what's going to be my best bet?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

I need some good chapstick, what's going to be my best bet?

Dr. dans, as I recommended previously. Made for cancer patients originally, doesn't gently caress around.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been incredibly happy with my tubes of Burts Bees chapstick. I even put one through the wash and it survived!

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.
Primal Pit Paste makes the best lip balm I've ever tried. All natural ingredients and lasts ALL day long. Their pit paste is great too

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Dr. dans, as I recommended previously. Made for cancer patients originally, doesn't gently caress around.

Thanks, I'll try some of that. It seems like most chapsticks work by sorta locking the moisture in, which is okay for preventing chapped lips, but doesn't do much to actually heal them. Hopefully that hydrocortisone will make a difference.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Wanamingo posted:

Thanks, I'll try some of that. It seems like most chapsticks work by sorta locking the moisture in, which is okay for preventing chapped lips, but doesn't do much to actually heal them. Hopefully that hydrocortisone will make a difference.

If you've got money to burn and a sympathetic dermatologist, look into tacrolimus ointment (brand name is Protopic). I use that to heal the skin around my lips when shaving irritates them. It's CAD$80/ 50mL tube, though. You only use a tiny amount when applying, so it can last a long time.

Cortisone can thin skin if used over a long period of time, but tacrolimus used as an ointment doesn't have the same effect. It does heat up and get mildly uncomfortable, so try using it before bed.

Otherwise, I just dab on some water, then cover my lips in petroleum jelly. YMMV.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for a sauce that's basically Huy Fong sriracha but a lot less sweet and a little spicier. Anything out there like that? Their sambal olek is okay but the texture is too different and it has a lot more garlic in it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I've been thinking very hard about getting a GoPro or other similar device to record college lectures, so I can use them as study aides along with my class notes. Nothing fancy, just something with a good enough mic and a clear enough picture to pick up everything an instructor is saying and writing.

I also need an upright stand to hold the camera steady, so I can record while taking notes in class at the same time without worrying about the camera and picture wiggling all over the place.

Any recommendations? Yes, I know that some professors may not be cool with this, but for the ones that are it seems like a huge study aid to be able to put class written notes within the context of the actual lectures.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

various cheeses posted:

I've had an Aeron chair for over 10 years now and it's still amazing.

Yeah, I've had one for about 4 years now and with the amount of time I'm on a computer I'm positive it's the reason why I'm not a crippled hunchback.

There's no way I'd ever spend £1000 on a chair though. I got mine used off eBay for £300 and it's just as good IMO.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I've been thinking very hard about getting a GoPro or other similar device to record college lectures, so I can use them as study aides along with my class notes. Nothing fancy, just something with a good enough mic and a clear enough picture to pick up everything an instructor is saying and writing.

I also need an upright stand to hold the camera steady, so I can record while taking notes in class at the same time without worrying about the camera and picture wiggling all over the place.

Any recommendations? Yes, I know that some professors may not be cool with this, but for the ones that are it seems like a huge study aid to be able to put class written notes within the context of the actual lectures.

For something you're not going to be doing any "Action" with theres probably no need to go for the big guns like the GoPro or equivalents as you're not gonna make use of most of the features you're paying for like 4k and image stabilisation etc. I bought one of these recently for similar reasons (recording guitar riffs so I dont forget them and to attach to my Drone and fly it around) and it's a good little bit of kit for the price -

http://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-Sports/dp/B00DP1WYD2

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Astrobastard posted:

For something you're not going to be doing any "Action" with theres probably no need to go for the big guns like the GoPro or equivalents as you're not gonna make use of most of the features you're paying for like 4k and image stabilisation etc. I bought one of these recently for similar reasons (recording guitar riffs so I dont forget them and to attach to my Drone and fly it around) and it's a good little bit of kit for the price -

http://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-Sports/dp/B00DP1WYD2

That might work, although I kinda feel like image stabilization might be useful since I don't know whether the camera is gonna wiggle around as I'm writing stuff down or other people in class are getting up and moving around.

I also tend to sit toward the front of the room, usually in the front row if I can manage it, so I need something that can record everything from there. And I need a way to view what the camera is recording, so I can adjust it as needed, although that doesn't have to be attached to the camera itself; if I have to hook it up to my iPad to do that, then that's fine too.

EDIT: Also I'd kinda like to get an idea or two on this today, what with it being Black Friday and stuff like this being on sale and all. :shobon:

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Have you talked to any of your instructors about actually being video recorded? I can't imagine a lot of people are going to agree with actually being recorded. One thing on a tape recorder, another thing with a video camera setup you're thinking of.