Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Pyrotoad posted:

Does Peridot know about Malachite at all yet? Because I feel like any attempt for her to understand Garnet would be wrecked by having Malachite around as an example of the worst possible outcome of a fusion (disregarding the Cluster and the mini-cluster whatevers).

Well, maybe in terms of emotions and a toxic relationship. In terms of active physical threat, the award goes to Sugilite, who but for Pearl (with Steven's strong encouragement) would have gone Gemzilla on Beach City and the surrounding area. Natural fusion is an experience, but it's an experience that can potentially overwhelm and consume its participants.

While the Guide to the Crystal Gems book states that Garnet was the first "mixed Gem" fusion, I feel myself really wanting to qualify that by adding "in recent memory" or "that the Crystal Gems are aware of." I get it, sure, Love is special, but I just can't help but think that some Gems sometime way in the past tried it out, it went really badly wrong and the response from the rest of the Gems was "Kill them! Kill them with hammers!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I find it strange and completely unpredictable that the community surrounding this show is insular, mentally unstable, and on a quick road to complete self-eradication

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

consider this cool thing called momswap:

Fanfiction is lame though.

(Nobody freak out please)

e:

E1M1 posted:

I find it strange and completely unpredictable that the community surrounding this show is insular, mentally unstable, and on a quick road to complete self-eradication

They should relax by watching this

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 30, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This but unironically.

Who's being ironic?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

E1M1 posted:

Haha, good joke there buddy.

Hahaha :smith:

On topic though, I thought I remembered something from "We Need to Talk" and went back to confirm the quote. Given what we know about Pearl now, I wonder if her line about Greg being a "novelty" will ever swing back to her status as a possession. Seems like something that has the potential to cut deep.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Fanfiction is lame though.

(Nobody freak out please)

e:

They should relax by watching this

No, thats correct.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Hihohe posted:

No, thats correct.

I love limited palette inkwash/marker type work. If the comic was still running that could be a great cover.

quote:

This is cute, but I don't get the reference.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 30, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

kefkafloyd posted:

This is cute, but I don't get the reference.

The top picture is Amethyst and Vidalia hanging out while Greg plays some tunes.

The other picture seems to be Amethyst as a purple kitten scaring Peridot, who is on a leash wearing a child's dog costume and being "walked" by Garnet, who has her on a leash. I get it and I get how things like that are cute to some people, but it's a little too "fan-Fetish" for my taste.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

johntfs posted:

The top picture is Amethyst and Vidalia hanging out while Greg plays some tunes.

The other picture seems to be Amethyst as a purple kitten scaring Peridot, who is on a leash wearing a child's dog costume and being "walked" by Garnet, who has her on a leash. I get it and I get how things like that are cute to some people, but it's a little too "fan-Fetish" for my taste.

Just a reminder that you talked at great lengths about Amethyst taking part in orgies. I don't think you can decry anything as being too "fan-Fetish".

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I am garbage but you probably knew that already:

Probably needs a little more, like some superfluous tires on the top but I can add more later.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

johntfs posted:

While the Guide to the Crystal Gems book states that Garnet was the first "mixed Gem" fusion, I feel myself really wanting to qualify that by adding "in recent memory" or "that the Crystal Gems are aware of." I get it, sure, Love is special, but I just can't help but think that some Gems sometime way in the past tried it out, it went really badly wrong and the response from the rest of the Gems was "Kill them! Kill them with hammers!"

That gays didn't exist till recently and are a modern thing is a pretty common opinion on earth too.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

johntfs posted:

Well, maybe in terms of emotions and a toxic relationship. In terms of active physical threat, the award goes to Sugilite, who but for Pearl (with Steven's strong encouragement) would have gone Gemzilla on Beach City and the surrounding area. Natural fusion is an experience, but it's an experience that can potentially overwhelm and consume its participants.

I think that could be the truth though. Rose seems to be the first Gem to rebel, Pearl seems to be the first Pearl who is an individual, and Steven is the first Gem to be a human. The whole group is full of firsts.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Misandu posted:

I think that could be the truth though. Rose seems to be the first Gem to rebel, Pearl seems to be the first Pearl who is an individual, and Steven is the first Gem to be a human. The whole group is full of firsts.

Amethyst is the first Gem to eat motor oil on bread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Amethyst is the first Gem to eat motor oil on bread.

Actually, Amethyst might be the first "runt" Amethyst to appear.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually, Amethyst might be the first "runt" Amethyst to appear.

Also the first gem to be born and raised on Earth

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

StalkofWheat posted:

Also the first gem to be born and raised on Earth

Other gems were born and raised on Earth before her, they're dead now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Other gems were born and raised on Earth before her, they're dead now.

Maybe the first Gem to be raised among humanity? She definitely sees more connection with human friends and habits than the Homeworld-born Crystal Gems.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hm, it would be an interesting real-life parallel if Gems aren't actually hard to manufacture and the whole "you have to suck up planets" thing is a lie promoted by the Diamond Authority in order to maintain control over Gem reproduction.

cloneboy
May 7, 2014

DarklyDreaming posted:

I am garbage but you probably knew that already:

Probably needs a little more, like some superfluous tires on the top but I can add more later.

What game is this?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Rand Brittain posted:

Hm, it would be an interesting real-life parallel if Gems aren't actually hard to manufacture and the whole "you have to suck up planets" thing is a lie promoted by the Diamond Authority in order to maintain control over Gem reproduction.

You mean homeworld is *gasp* AMERICA!?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

cloneboy posted:

What game is this?

Robocraft. A game where you make lego style monstrosities and pit them against other people's lego based monstrosities

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

Just a reminder that you talked at great lengths about Amethyst taking part in orgies. I don't think you can decry anything as being too "fan-Fetish".

I really can, but if you want to get into this, fine. I admit the example was extreme and unnecessary, but I stand by the sentiment behind it. Even if we as the audience never hear a word about it, I want the Gems to have had rich, exciting histories and to have lived intensely. I want them to have done things that might be not at all appropriate for characters in a children's cartoon to have done. Even if it remains invisible and unknown, backstories help flesh out and support characters.

You want to read something I consider to be sickening? "So, after the war had ended, Rose, Garnet, Pearl and their newfound companion, Amethyst, retired to the Temple near what would become Beach City. There, for the next 4500 years (excepting a couple of minor incidents), the Crystal Gems lived quiet lives of perfect dignity, behaving themselves and upsetting no one."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

johntfs posted:

I really can, but if you want to get into this, fine. I admit the example was extreme and unnecessary, but I stand by the sentiment behind it. Even if we as the audience never hear a word about it, I want the Gems to have had rich, exciting histories and to have lived intensely.

lol you're a pedo

johntfs posted:

I want them to have done things that might be not at all appropriate for characters in a children's cartoon to have done.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

hoo boy this thread

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

johntfs posted:

I find not sexualizing children's show characters to be highly offensive

Brevity is the soul of wit, endeavor to condense your thoughts better next time.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

John it gets harder and harder to defend you every time you post

Why is it so important to you that the gems did the do

Why does your mind go there

The show has already implied that they had an adventuresome past, why must you drag sex into this

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Burn everything to the ground

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Also Lamps stop calling regular run-of-the-mill perverts pedos

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Ursine Asylum posted:

Think about that involuntary shudder and bad taste you get in your mouth whenever someone over the age of 12 says "My Little Pony", but with Steven Universe.

It's way back in the old thread, so I can't find it now, but I remember posting something shortly after Jailbreak exploded the show's popularity, hoping that the show having a broader, younger, and more "fandom-y" fandom wouldn't turn it into a horribly noxious thing to be associated with. (The post I quoted above is from around that time, but from this thread instead, so I could actually find it. Also, quoting yourself is douche-y, and I don't really need any help on that front, so maybe quoting someone else can lower my douche-quotient a little, being a crabby cartoon-oldster as it is.) This especially sucks since the SU fandom (man I really don't like that word, liking a TV show is not a hobby in and of itself, and it's definitely not a qualifier of someone's personality or self-definition, which is what it's come to mean) was one of the chillest around during the first season of the show. It was particularly great if you were an animation fan dying to find a show with fans that don't take themselves uncomfortably seriously.

Several months after the show blew up, I was really happy that the conversation around it was still audience-appropriate and clement and thoughtful-without-being-horribly-creepy, but I guess it was just a matter of time. Now you mention Steven Universe to the uninitiated and you get that thousand-yard stare of abject terror. WHOOPS. (Prior to that, the response was "I've never heard of that, is it good?" which is sorta good and bad all at once, good because you get to share a neat thing with people, bad because animation productions of this caliber kinda need to penetrate the cultural consciousness to stay on the air.) Now the show is a fandom success, which can't hurt from a business standpoint (though it wouldn't help all alone if the ratings for the target demo in general weren't stable enough, clearly they are) but I'm not gonna lie, the toxic fandom culture leakage is really beginning to stink. I hope the show's increased adult-nerd popularity is having a tangible and positive impact on the production side of SU either business-wise or creative-wise, because otherwise it is so not worth all the creepy bullshit.

Steven Universe is still my very favorite cartoon, and if it jumps off the deep end into shipping, lore, and other fringe-fandom pandering over good storytelling in years to come (see Adventure Time, Korra, Gravity Falls), I still have dozens of great episodes to enjoy over again. But yeah, there is definitely something to be said for the internet-age ability of fandoms to straight-up poison the well of a good thing. This thread's (d)evolution is an interesting microcosm of that trend, at least to me. At least this means we'll get more sweet nerd merchandise and tchotchkes out of the deal?

Jay O fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 31, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I feel like it's this weird symptom of people really wanting to turn something into something it's not. It's like those loving stupid ~fan theories~ that are just WHAT IF THE SHOW/MOVIE WAS JUST IN THE IMAGINATION OF SOMEONE IN A COMA/DYING/INSANE OHHHH SHIIIIIIIT. It's taking a show that's light, with dark/serious overtones at times and trying to turn it into this grim, super serious series about bad people who did awful things and everything good is fake and blah blah blah. You can imagine backstories and ideas for the characters and what you think may happen, but keep it in context of the show and what we've seen so far.

I'm all for discussion, ideas and thoughts about a show, but these wildly out of tone ideas and backstory ideas are just strange to me. Like you're asking for a backstory that's literally impossible to show on a cartoon show on Cartoon Network that isn't Adult Swim.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 31, 2015

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

[source]

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I finally "get" this thread. Watching it from the sidelines is an amazing experience. It's a game that I don't think a lot of you realize you're playing.

Anyway,

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

http://i.imgur.com/ozM4wlg.gifv (can't image tag gifvs, god damnit lowtax)

(Source)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

http://i.imgur.com/ozM4wlg.gifv (can't image tag gifvs, god damnit lowtax)

(Source)

If you change the extension to .gif, it'll still work. You can also change it to .webm and imgur does all the work. Imgur owns.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The show is already doing a great job of demonstrating that the characters have well thought out backstories and a properly defined world. The showrunners clearly have done all their homework for what they want to do. It's hard enough for adult television to work poo poo out like "character motivation" and "plot consistency," enjoy the fact that this show has managed to tell its story well while making it look very easy to do so.

These are great.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I finally "get" this thread. Watching it from the sidelines is an amazing experience. It's a game that I don't think a lot of you realize you're playing.

quote:

I'm permabanned poster Son of Thunderbeast. i first started watching steven universe when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "fusion" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "made of love" and "and i'm stronger than you" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "nice" style of steven universe humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" steven universe to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

yeah p much

edit: except for all the Jungian BS, it's the 21st century dammit

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

paradoxGentleman posted:

John it gets harder and harder to defend you every time you post

Why is it so important to you that the gems did the do

Why does your mind go there

The show has already implied that they had an adventuresome past, why must you drag sex into this

I'm not. Some of you are seeing what you want to see. Pearl stabbing Hitler in the face with her spear isn't "appropriate for a children's cartoon character to do" but I really want to think she did it, because that would be cool. As for the sex thing, yeah, I push the boundaries there. Part of that is just a case of not quite getting when to stop typing. However, another part of it is that I know that there are plenty of people who are only too happy to pull the boundaries in as tight as they will go.

"Dude! You can't talk about gay stuff in a kid's cartoon! Think of the children, man, think of the children!"

Sometimes I push too hard. That said I'll off it and tone it down. I'm not trying to be obnoxious, unlike some people *cough*BotL*cough* I could mention. Steven Universe is a show that works so well on so many levels with its subtlety and density. It fires up my imagination and speculation so that I sometimes forget to edit and filter like I should. I'll probably forget again when the show comes back, if not sooner. If/when I do, just give me smack to remind me.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT’S STEVEN UNIVERSE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, STEVEN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME CORRUPT GEM BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS HANDSHIP. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I DO KOREAN CALISTHENICS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

johntfs posted:

I'm not. Some of you are seeing what you want to see. Pearl stabbing Hitler in the face with her spear isn't "appropriate for a children's cartoon character to do" but I really want to think she did it, because that would be cool.

1. in SU's alternate history it's likely that Adolf Hitler, if he even existed, probably wouldn't have been a German dictator since we have no indication that WWI or II happened, since things seem to be radically different
2. But even if so, what if Hitler was a plant

• Locked thread