Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Barnyard Protein posted:

the imprisonment operator has closure over all entities in the group of items in life. work is a prison. programming is a prison. programming work -- a prison. this thread is a prison. you can't escape it.

a baby is born, the doctor holds him before the overjoyed mother. the baby turns towards the doctor and intones "the mcrib is back"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maluco Marinero posted:

Even if they are yours, they don't actually work like a dictatorship. You are as beholden to the people you lead as they are to you in your own projects.

those relationships are still fundamentally different

we are not pulling together to increase the capital stock of some dude on a yacht somewhere. shared sacrifice to serve shared goals, not externally imposed conditions

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

when you do things for money to further someone else's goals instead of your own, yeah, that's a job

also to be clear it's not like someone is micromanaging me or demanding i show up when a whistle blows or something. just, there is stuff i have to do, and be accountable for, and i do this in order to get paid. and it sucks

you sound like a whiny teenager ranting about the tyranny of the parentocracy

yes I have to be accountable to other people at work. it doesn't bother me at all. why should it? if I was left to my own devices id never finish anything, as a string of forgotten hobby projects will testify, whereas accountability to others has spurred me to achieve some things at work that I'm pretty drat proud of. it's good.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
let's walk it back a little: this is a maslow's hierarchy thing

this being yospos nearly all of us have money and creature comforts and valuable human relationships. and now i want more than that. y'know, self-actualization and all that jazz

i am pretty sure a job, regardless of its individual merits, isn't a step in that direction.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

you sound like a whiny teenager ranting about the tyranny of the parentocracy

whining teenagers haven't resigned themselves to the nature of things yet

Soricidus posted:

yes I have to be accountable to other people at work. it doesn't bother me at all. why should it? if I was left to my own devices id never finish anything, as a string of forgotten hobby projects will testify

i'm ok with not-finishing things on my own terms instead of being proud of the various ways i made rich men richer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i once spent several months without a job just for fun. i could afford it so i just decided to take an extended stay-cation and enjoy myself. my pattern of daily activities was actually quite similar to my day job. i spent a lot of time coding. i spent a lot of time reading about cool new stuff in the industry. it was genuinely fun and i loved it

doing extremely similar tasks for someone else is like pulling teeth. someone else chooses my priorities. someone else determines the requirements. someone else tells me where i should show up and what time. and that sucks. it's those qualities that make a set of tasks into a "job."

not surpsisingly you don't have any feelings of loss against not ever seeing other human beings

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

on the other hand maslow's hierarchy totally breaks apart when applied to collectivist ones because it's individualistic propaganda by and for middle-class americans

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

on the other hand maslow's hierarchy totally breaks apart when applied to collectivist ones because it's individualistic propaganda by and for middle-class americans

what can i say, i am a creature of my context

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

not surpsisingly you don't have any feelings of loss against not ever seeing other human beings

i had a lot more time to see other human beings, in totally voluntary contexts that did not require us to jockey for status or compete for limited rewards

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
wouldn't it be cool if we lived in star trek and money wsa like not a thing for anybody ever

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

those relationships are still fundamentally different

we are not pulling together to increase the capital stock of some dude on a yacht somewhere. shared sacrifice to serve shared goals, not externally imposed conditions

So what you're saying is, its okay to get a job if its towards a shared goal, not to enrich yacht dude. Lots of people get those sorts of jobs already, so tell us something new.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pepito sanchez posted:

wouldn't it be cool if we lived in star trek and money wsa like not a thing for anybody ever

yeah having magic would be cool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pepito sanchez posted:

or at least not a requirement to eat and sleep. start small

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maluco Marinero posted:

So what you're saying is, its okay to get a job if its towards a shared goal, not to enrich yacht dude. Lots of people get those sorts of jobs already, so tell us something new.

if your collaborators are working paid jobs and serving your goals instead of their own, then you have become the yacht dude

good job, you

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
whining about the need for money and making it completely painless at the same time is boring as gently caress

go play a computer game while at work, take a walk, smoke some crack

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
someday I'll be the guy in the yacht

ill just be the guy looting it during the revolution before getting picked off by a koch industries civil peace contractor

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

uncurable mlady posted:

ill just be the guy looting it during the revolution before getting picked off by a koch industries civil peace contractor

the trick, as Romania showed us, is to get most of the security forces on your side first

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

anyway, i was playing one of those old star trek text games and i decided that a game based around shoveling numbers around in a console would be perfect to try to work out in f#

so the galaxy consists of 64 quadrants numbered (1,1) through (8,8), each made up of 64 sectors numbered (1,1) through (8,8). each sector can contain a star, a Klingon, a Romulan, a starbase, or the player. I'm not sure how to represent the galaxy map best to keep track of objects. right now i have a list comprehension that creates an empty galaxy of sectors (which can contain a space object but currently contain nothing) nested into quadrants that are nested into a map object. the problem with that is that you would probably need to iterate over the whole thing to find anything, so that sucks. i think the right way to do it is the other way around, a list of objects in space and their locations and then you extrapolate the galaxy map from there by just finding all objects in quadrant (5,5) or whatever. i haven't written any logic beyond placing the player in a sector.

idk

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hey Notorious b.s.d. what you're talking about already has a name
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx%27s_theory_of_alienation

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
As Notorious BSD awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic computer janitor...

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Luigi Thirty posted:

anyway, i was playing one of those old star trek text games and i decided that a game based around shoveling numbers around in a console would be perfect to try to work out in f#

so the galaxy consists of 64 quadrants numbered (1,1) through (8,8), each made up of 64 sectors numbered (1,1) through (8,8). each sector can contain a star, a Klingon, a Romulan, a starbase, or the player. I'm not sure how to represent the galaxy map best to keep track of objects. right now i have a list comprehension that creates an empty galaxy of sectors (which can contain a space object but currently contain nothing) nested into quadrants that are nested into a map object. the problem with that is that you would probably need to iterate over the whole thing to find anything, so that sucks. i think the right way to do it is the other way around, a list of objects in space and their locations and then you extrapolate the galaxy map from there by just finding all objects in quadrant (5,5) or whatever. i haven't written any logic beyond placing the player in a sector.

idk

Write the galaxy and each sector as an array, and keep another list of, say, romulan locations, klingon locations etc. (bonus pointsif the lists are maintained automatically). Yes the data is in 2 places, but it gives you both spatial lookup and logical (find the klingons) lookup really quickly. It'll be error prone if you don't automate changing both sources of info at once though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what's the load of that lookup though it's pretty minor overall given it's gonna be an array of what bytes??

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
64 x 64 is 4096 are you realy gonna stress about cycling through?

man you could make a lookup table every second and be sweet

this is 2015

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I don't hate my job. I don't hate having a job. I need a job. I've taken some sick days and I'm about dying of boredom

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dude how'd you get that av

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

echinopsis posted:

dude how'd you get that av

mild trolling in PYF

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

nbsd is right. working for someone else's enrichment is not inherently satisfying, no matter how interesting the problems you're working on.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I've tried the alternative and it sucked

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My team is kind of interesting. There is no product owner to prioritise the massive backlog of jiras. So its just decided in team whst we work on and when we deliver it. Also the "sprints" are 1 month long. It owns

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

my stepdads beer posted:

nbsd is right. working for someone else's enrichment is not inherently satisfying, no matter how interesting the problems you're working on.

right ok so before nbsd moves the goalposts all the way to siberia let's quote his original bait and maybe just maybe see why he got dogpiled into the ground

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol at imagining you can be paid money to for something "fulfilling"

does it meet your salary expectations?
are the benefits good enough?
is the job security good enough?

that's it

those are the only things to ask about a software job

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

job satisfaction is bullshit.

all jobs are terrible, that is why they are called jobs. the goal is to get paid, and then go home

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
spending my life having fun and enjoying what i do and making other people happy is the worst thing imaginable, because someone i've never met and don't care about is watching his numbers go up faster than my numbers are going up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I work for a non-profit there is no yacht suck it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

I work for a non-profit there is no yacht suck it

sorry, that's not "work" that's a joke job volunteer effort

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk it pays a deece six figgies

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

a good job you enjoy that helps people? frankly that's impossible

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Valeyard posted:

My team is kind of interesting. There is no product owner to prioritise the massive backlog of jiras. So its just decided in team whst we work on and when we deliver it. Also the "sprints" are 1 month long. It owns
This is sorta what I do except the sprints are six weeks long and while there are multiple product owners, they seldom have their poo poo together enough that more than 10-15% of the stuff is prioritized at all.

Also we have a scrum just before everyone leaves for the day.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Awia posted:

a good job you enjoy that helps people? frankly that's impossible

lol nah I hate it I want more money.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like six and a half figgies or more

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

comedyblissoption posted:

hey Notorious b.s.d. what you're talking about already has a name
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx%27s_theory_of_alienation
seconded

go work for a non-profit or the military - any organization that doesn't answer to loving shareholders is superior to one that does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

uncurable mlady posted:

a baby is born, the doctor holds him before the overjoyed mother. the baby turns towards the doctor and intones "the mcrib is back"

Since it's a baby saying it, I'm imagining him pronouncing it "m-crib". :v:

• Locked thread