Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Dr. Fetus posted:

Apparently the items might technically be in the game, but you have to assemble the items through the code yourself. At least according to that mod subreddit. But the data miners are actually still plinking away at the code.

Yes, according to the people working on it, most of those items are in the game and a lot of them are functional, but some section of code or some flag has been removed that would allow them to spawn on pedestals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Basically, the datamining right now is in kind of an odd place. There's definitely more items in the game, and they're fully coded and functional, but there's no collectible icons (the icons that appear on pedestals), or any animation data (bar one), that can be found in the afterbirth.a archive.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
One makes you small really hosed with me once I got too small; my peripheral vision stopped being able to track Isaac when things got dodgy, especially since my tears at that point were pretty big. One or two is fine though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GuavaMoment posted:

On that note, why do people hate Speed! so much? I failed my first run only because I didn't know there was a time limit, then beat it on the 2nd try.

Some enemies and bosses become so fast you literally can't avoid them. A good example is Gemini; if you don't have flight, spectral tears and a rock to camp on then your run just ended.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Really, a lot of the challenge problems in Afterbirth are that they feel like they weren't play-tested enough, to really see what works and what doesn't.

Edit: The Guardian was not tested at all. If it was, here's what would be reported

-Enemies target the heart, so you have to put your body in front of the heart. That's ok, though.

-You don't have any damage ups, and the spear (sword?) doesn't do enough DPS to really be useful

-There's so much poo poo that can't be dodged because of the punching bag getting in the way of things. Example: Those stone turrets that can't be killed? The punching bag just stood in front of it while I was fighting enemies. The green bodies that shoot the ipecac? I can't do anything about that in time, to protect myself.

-It feels like a chore.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 4, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Some enemies and bosses become so fast you literally can't avoid them. A good example is Gemini; if you don't have flight, spectral tears and a rock to camp on then your run just ended.
Two Larry Jrs. while probably not impossible was annoying enough to make me put off doing it.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

So a weird thing happened just now as I was fighting Ultra Greed. I got to the fight with Monstro and my game started speeding up until everything was running at about 2-3 times regular speed. It even kept going during the final fight itself even as my triple shot, dunce cap, scatter bomb, glitter bombs went off and filled the room with items. It was really strange.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Sounds like one of the devs called in to Cobalt to tease him with idle discussion and vague hints and references to there being more to find.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Really, a lot of the challenge problems in Afterbirth are that they feel like they weren't play-tested enough, to really see what works and what doesn't.

Some of the ideas were pretty good for a challenge. I really like the concept of Blue Bomber, for one. It's a loadout I wanted to try out back in Rebirth. But they needed to polish the execution more to avoid unwinnable situations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Edmund specifically said he'd make sure his next secret couldn't be datamined. I imagine once you solve the puzzle something activates and the stuff in your gamefiles is rearranged so the missing content is usable.

I kindof like the theory that the gems on the ground in Greed Mode carry some secret message in Braille or the like. Fits with Lilith being blind.

e: apparently the BRAILLE seed disables curse of blindness and is probably unrelated.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Okay so I just had the easiest Challenge run ever. Was doing Have a Heart and got the seed BVER EWAE. Proptosis, Brimstone on floor 2's devil deal, Tech X, enough items to hit Guppy status, and Holy Mantle. Shooting laser donuts and instantly killing bosses is pretty fun!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
did exp treatment get any sort of buff or is it still garbage?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

could just be my luck but so far in my playing it seems to be working better

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

truther posted:

You're kidding yourself mate. The last few pages are full of it.

Oh by "complaining" you meant "literally stating the truth"

quote:

Thus the conspiracy about Edmund hiding the content away until he deems it necessary to release. Based off... nothing other than the fact you don't have the content yet. Thus: butt-hurt.

Nevermind the fact he's literally said the content is in the game. Nevermind the fact he is releasing hints at how to reach the content. Nevermind the fact that Reddit appears to be on it's way to solviong the mystery.

Nah. Let's call Edmund names.

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/661195702765129728

yes he certainly hasn't literally stated "solve my dumb puzzle to get the rest of the game", he certainly never waited until people already bought it to bring up that any of this existed, and he's certainly not leading reddit by the nose while they all universally praise his genius to nurse his bruised ego.

The game's really good! He's just being kind of a poo poo about this and it's baffling.

Challenge status: I'm still super bad at them. Hate blindfolds so much.

EDIT: The couple times i've taken treatment it seems to have worked out pretty well, it seems to be a net positive unless you're late-game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's not really the challenge itself that's bad, it's actually pretty easy. It's that not much thought was put into it. Some enemies are immune to Kamikaze explosions, and in some rooms you can't reach all the enemies because part of the floors are missing. Now normally you can bomb open the doors if the room is impossible to complete, unless it's a boss door. Which can't be bombed open. Unlucky layouts like that are kind of what stops people.

yeah i recalled enemies like the walking prolapsed rectums (?) and got pretty mad at them until i realized regular bombs damaged them

as for far away enemies yeah that can be really bad i imagine

also i just beat speed and thats another not very well thought out challenge
holy poo poo did it blow

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Your Computer posted:

i fought steven and you can imagine what happened once his lil buddy detached and they were both ramming me at schumacher speeds

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I think I heard something like Tyrone saying they forgot to remove the IV bag from green mode. I wonder if that means they will. Really I'd prefer them not, as if I don't want to abuse it I can just not do that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

How do you guys even get past the first floor on Speed? I get owned basically the second a jumping spider shows up.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Yinlock posted:

How do you guys even get past the first floor on Speed? I get owned basically the second a jumping spider shows up.

precisely

live fast die fast repeat

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

graynull posted:

I think I heard something like Tyrone saying they forgot to remove the IV bag from green mode. I wonder if that means they will. Really I'd prefer them not, as if I don't want to abuse it I can just not do that.

They've already said they're pulling it out of Greed Mode and maybe making other adjustments.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

The funny thing about all this is going to turn out to be that they capped the greed machine to see how people would break the new mode so they could fix any IV Bag style exploits and keep people from knocking the whole thing out in a matter of minutes. As much as I'm enjoying the whole mystery thing, it's gonna be way funnier if the patch caps donations at 20 coins but removes the 109 cap.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

They've already said they're pulling it out of Greed Mode and maybe making other adjustments.

Guess I should go cheese that mode while I still can!

PantsBandit posted:

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've gotten it a few times (can't ever remember the drat colors of the syringes) and it's had a net positive effect each time without neutering any important stats

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is there any way to induce explosions with IPECAC + ludo? I have pyromaniac in greed mode and this would be very helpful for reasons.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

109 seems to be related to the puzzle in some way, Ed and Tyrone have referenced it a lot in streams and stuff. Tyrone also said it was related to police codes (109 is suicide).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChibiSoma posted:

Okay so I just had the easiest Challenge run ever. Was doing Have a Heart and got the seed BVER EWAE. Proptosis, Brimstone on floor 2's devil deal, Tech X, enough items to hit Guppy status, and Holy Mantle. Shooting laser donuts and instantly killing bosses is pretty fun!

My favorite OP run might have been in Wrath instead of Rebirth, but I got the wafer, the habit, the battery and something else that I can't recall right now; the effect ended up every two times I was hit, I'd get a soul heart. Because of the wafer this meant I would generate soul hearts as fast as I could take damage, even in hell. If I didn't care about the unlocks I might have just reset because it'd been nigh impossible to lose.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

109 seems to be related to the puzzle in some way, Ed and Tyrone have referenced it a lot in streams and stuff. Tyrone also said it was related to police codes (109 is suicide).

There is a 109% chance that they're just messing with people.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Could you always get curse of the maze, curse of the labrynth on the cursed! challenge. That's rough.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do some challenges take place in Hard mode? I keep getting Onan's Streak runs with a frustrating lack of keys.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Yinlock posted:

I feel like such a dick for beating Speed on the first try, I didn't even figure out what the gimmick was until Depths 2 when I noticed the damage occurring. (Because I got the Holy Mantle on B1)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

lmao forget what I said I'll just do all the challenges I hate in one night

except I don't have 24. how do you get 24? I'm playing on a fresh save to get everything again if it matters.
the guardian is loving horrible btw

got it just now beating the Cathedral as Cain on hard mode.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A lot of the challenges seem like they're pretty fun early on but in the later floors things get lovely real fast. I get the feeling they played the challenge for a few floors and moved on.

Like I just died to It Lives on Blue Bomber and the womb is just really stupid since it makes more sense to bum rush the door than fight anything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lol the last challenge is total horseshit

first try went really well until my scapegoat just sat on some spikes until he killed us both because I couldn't move him

second try instantly killed us through four buffer hearts the second he touched a red poop in the womb, which is made even worse by the fact that I had dark bum and those hearts were red so I could easily have damage raced it to the end. literally dead the second he touched the thing

edit: sword dude is legit cool tho and I wish he was just a character you could play as normally instead of this dumb bullshit

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I loved Guardian up until the Womb. Up until then I could handle how straight up dumb my guy was but down there it's past the point where you can deal with it. At that point you're just walking in rooms hoping there won't be "problem" enemies or layouts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the Guardian is a challenge that relies entirely on RNG. It's pretty easy on paper but it depends on if you can avoid unavoidable death.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
I loving did it! Brains challenge completed with 1 heart left. Holy poo poo, that was the worst thing in this game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be a lot better if the scapegoat wasn't so unfathomably stupid that he occasionally walks on hazards of his own volition

it should just start you with isaac's heart instead because that would be waaaaaaay more tolerable while still being the same kind of challenge

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't believe I'm comparing isaac's heart favorably to something

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Important lifesaving tip: Krampus' 4-way brimstone now curves in a corkscrew after a second or two. Don't be like me and not know that this changed and get killed by it. Ok thanks for listening.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Important lifesaving tip: Krampus' 4-way brimstone now curves in a corkscrew after a second or two. Don't be like me and not know that this changed and get killed by it. Ok thanks for listening.

sometimes, but not all the time, and if someone knows what the tell is for it curving It Lives-style then let us know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

CJacobs posted:

It's also completely impossible to avoid if you get Krampus in a thin devil room. Like, really?