Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Little bit of experimenting on Ultra Greed: it appears to be that the damage per hit is capped. Increasing Az's damage (with Ludovico) to 200 increased the health loss a bit, increasing it to 2000 didn't change it at all, changing it to 2 slowed it the gently caress down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

I really don't know if he's being serious or not, because if he's 100% honest about all this being unintentional then it makes them come across as real bad at developing. Like, you couldn't boot up the game once and actually check that your Azreal change worked properly?

keep in mind that these are the super meat boy developers

remember super meat world? yeah

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There still might be stuff hidden? Dataminers found an extra character on the charatermenu graphic. No idea if this is the same as the "Keeper" character that people were finding bits and pieces of before.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

haha, he still didn't fix the Crashes the Game! pill what the gently caress Edmund

like am I the only person where taking a particular pill will always crash the game?

edit: yep persists after a reinstall

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 4, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

keep in mind that these are the super meat boy developers

remember super meat world? yeah
Edmund is the only guy from Team Meat working on Isaac, and he was the art guy.

Tommy Refenes did the actual programming for Super Meat Boy, and he has nothing to do with Isaac. I assume he's been cryogenically frozen until Edmund actually decides what game the two want to make next.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

haha, he still didn't fix the Crashes the Game! pill what the gently caress Edmund

like am I the only person where taking a particular pill will always crash the game?

edit: yep persists after a reinstall
I haven't had it but I found this steam thread, have you tried the solution they came to?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/250900/discussions/0/490124466467478742/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rorus Raz posted:

Edmund is the only guy from Team Meat working on Isaac, and he was the art guy.

Tommy Refenes did the actual programming for Super Meat Boy, and he has nothing to do with Isaac. I assume he's been cryogenically frozen until Edmund actually decides what game the two want to make next.

Super Meat World is still my main reference point for why you should never listen to anything Ed says about what his games are going to be.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I haven't had it but I found this steam thread, have you tried the solution they came to?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/250900/discussions/0/490124466467478742/

That did fix it, thanks! Man I was all riding that high horse but the issue was something I probably changed at some point.

edit: although now that I know what Retro Vision! does, I wish I could turn it back off without crashing the game. I already have lovely vision, the last thing I need is to be reminded of it while playing a video game :smith:

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 4, 2015

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I don't believe him when he says it's a bug. It literally doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't notice a bug that makes like half of your items not have their pedestal icons and not spawn, let alone not notice you can't get to an entire floor.

I think he just saw he pissed off a lot of people and backpedaled.

e: It'd be one thing if it was all of one type of item, like all items that leave an effect on the ground all didn't work because a "thing" would make sense, but just 70 arbitrary items not working for no reason???

Sibilant Crisp fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 4, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Welp I was on Ed's side with this whole ARG thing but I guess he really did just pointlessly hold back a bunch of content for no reason. He says it's not just him being pissy about the Lost but the time on the gated content was a direct reference to that whole debacle so who does he really think he's fooling.

Ugh, whatever. Luckily the game is good enough to make up for its creator's idiocy.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
lol at the Azazel nerf "not coming out right". You know...a simple play test would have made this not happen. And by play test I mean like playing a few rooms with him and saying "oh, maybe that's a little too weak", and then changing it.

They really don't give a drat.

Thankfully I was able to beat Mega, wasn't as tough as I thought it might get to get another good run going as Az.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butyraceous posted:

I don't believe him when he says it's a bug. It literally doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't notice a bug that makes like half of your items not have their pedestal icons and not spawn, let alone not notice you can't get to an entire floor.

I think he just saw he pissed off a lot of people and backpedaled.

Yeah, to be honest,. i find that more likely, especially since he was making goofy comments about it. Either they planned an ARG and saw a backlash to it or he just wanted to do a bit of trolling and realized after the fact it was a bad idea. Especially since he was making sly "look to la luna" comments instead of just saying "It was a bug."

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

My guess on the extra character is it doesn't really exist and he just put that in there to spite fans about The Lost and hoping they will drive themselves crazy trying to figure it out.

So taking it out on the people who were trying to solve his other puzzle the way he wanted it to. For the heinous crime of doing it too fast for his liking.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I think Ed's main issue as a dev is that he has this very strict idea of the "right way" to play his games. So when he makes changes and does stuff like this whole gated content thing, it comes across as him being very selfish and protective of his game.

"Azazel was too strong so he needed to be nerfed"

Well, yeah Ed he was strong. But some people aren't as good at the game and like having an easy character.

"People burn through new content too quickly!"

Some people do but that applies to literally every game that's ever had an expansion. There's always going to be people poopsocking it.

Dude just needs to loosen his grip a little bit and listen to what the fans are saying.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 4, 2015

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

A lot of games are about familiarity. Most people when you first start playing Issac you barely have a feel for how to move and shoot and you die repeatedly to stuff like Larry Jr. But then over time you get a feel for it and become familiar with enemies so what was hard becomes a breeze. You know what attacks those enemies are gonna do and where they're gonna go and you can dodge them very easily.

So maybe for a new player it will take a lot of hours. But for an experienced player even with the expansion and new content they're going to be familiar with most of the game and enemies and items so they will get through it quick. It doesn't mean it's worthless for them as like people are saying people are playing Isaac well after they've "completed" it. You're never going to make a guy like "CobaltStreak" see the game and experience it like a new player again to the point where he's gonna have to play 100 hours to get it all. Even with stupid stuff like trap enemies in the devil room guys like him will adjust to that too and not be affected past the first time or so. So things like Mom's Hands in the devil room will just be real obnoxious for players like me when I don't have the volume on.

So he should focus on what makes the game enjoyable and a reasonable challenge and not broken rather than trying to trip up guys who are the top 1 percentile of gamers. Even a player like me doesn't have to "poopsock" to get through most of the content it just comes quick cause of my familiarity.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Didn't dataminers find some bit of code that suggested the game could download more stuff in certain conditions? I saw people speculating based on that. Maybe that thing was bugged and the game was supposed to download the data for the rest of those items under some condition? Who fuckin knows. I really want to give Ed some credit and not just being angry and spiteful because he's saying there's a reason he can't explain what was bugged yet and I'd like to think that's not just more bullshit.

It feels like there's still something hidden, but now half of the community is completely disenfranchised to looking for it, and would just rather wait for dataminers to find it, so good job there Ed.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
People seem to forget that ed isn't the most socially adjusted guy. He was probably having fun with what otherwise is a massive bug hunt from a bad launch.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PantsBandit posted:

Welp I was on Ed's side with this whole ARG thing but I guess he really did just pointlessly hold back a bunch of content for no reason. He says it's not just him being pissy about the Lost but the time on the gated content was a direct reference to that whole debacle so who does he really think he's fooling.

Ugh, whatever. Luckily the game is good enough to make up for its creator's idiocy.

"Ed, honey, are you still mad about the Lost?" "NO, IM FINE! THERE'S JUST..A THING WRONG WITH THE GAME. A BIG THING. It'll be fixed in 109 hours. Why? Because I said so!"

And then it turns out that half the items, separate from the "broken" items, really ARE secrets that we haven't found. We'd still bitch about it

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ed is very adamant that this was all just a bug that he can't embellish upon further for "reasons", and that it's not an ARG or time gating content or revenge for data mining the Lost.

Which doesn't explain all the cryptic poo poo he did this week instead of simply coming out and saying "There's a bug that kept all the content from being released. Give us a bit to fix it." Can't say I have a ton of sympathy when you stoked the stupid rage directed at you.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What are the unlock conditions for the Blue Womb? I just got it after eating a pill.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Trilin posted:

People seem to forget that ed isn't the most socially adjusted guy. He was probably having fun with what otherwise is a massive bug hunt from a bad launch.

Yeah I figure the two probable scenarios are that he actually did have time-gated content because he wanted the discovery process to last a little longer (artificially) or they really did just have a bunch of buggy item that they needed a few days to work out.

Either way though it was handled really terribly. I mean, Ed literally said "im hiding the remaining content beyond a series of micro-transactions that im calling an ARG". That was just straight up not true and I don't like seeing creators intentionally mislead their fanbase.

Who knows, maybe there is still some kind of ARG out there though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What are the unlock conditions for the Blue Womb? I just got it after eating a pill.

Got it after blowing a rock.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I got an item called Mom's Box, which is a 4-turn use item. When I used it, the numbers "404" appeared on the floor. Thanks, Edmund

edit: I should note that I got it from a devil bum after picking up Chaos, so it'd be hilarious if Mom's Box was in some item pool that you can only access post-Chaos

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 4, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The unlock conditions for Blue Womb is probably something most everyone has done already, and I assume is being set off the next time the game does a check if any secrets have been completed.

quote:

I got an item called Mom's Box, which is a 4-turn use item. When I used it, the numbers "404" appeared on the floor. Thanks, Edmund

404 is apparently a new trinket (acts as a random trinket each room), and I think Mom's box generates trinkets.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Prop Wash posted:

edit: I should note that I got it from a devil bum after picking up Chaos, so it'd be hilarious if Mom's Box was in some item pool that you can only access post-Chaos

Box is in the shop pool

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, Ed literally said "im hiding the remaining content beyond a series of micro-transactions that im calling an ARG". That was just straight up not true and I don't like seeing creators intentionally mislead their fanbase.

Was that not just a really obvious joke or am I just used to taking everything said on the internet with a grain of salt

EDIT: Yeah I just read some of his twitter feed and that was definitely a joke dude

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
RIP Binding of Isaac Rebirth

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
An apt summary of how people have handled the Afterbirth launch.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
So playing on the game with the latest patch, then loading the game on another computer without the patch seems to have wiped my post its, emptied my donation machine and cleared my challenge progress. Didn't lose any unlocks though. whoops.

On another note, the announcer voice isn't completely gone, i dunno if it's random or only for certain items but he just piped up when i popped a pretty fly.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'll admit I'm mostly just salty because my favorite character (Judas) isn't as fun anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I liked the announcer voice. :smith: It was actually one of my favorite new parts of Afterbirth.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I'll admit I'm mostly just salty because my favorite character (Judas) isn't as fun anymore.

Wait, what did they do to Judas?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Andrast posted:

Wait, what did they do to Judas?

Book of Belial is no longer a guaranteed devil deal. It still raises your chance by a little bit but in my experience it rarely makes much of a difference.

Not a huge nerf and he's still fun to play but I wish they hadn't made that change.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

That's a real shame about Azazel, I'm not super great at the game so it was nice to have somebody I could usually have a good chance at a win right out of the gate with. Can he get lucky item drops to fix him still?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I don't get why they're making huge balance changes to existing things because they added some new items and a character. Why do they need to adjust the frequency of devil rooms all of a sudden? Why does Azazel need to be nerfed at all? It's just stupid to make so many weird balance changes in a single player game for no reason other than "it's too easy".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Book of Belial is no longer a guaranteed devil deal. It still raises your chance by a little bit but in my experience it rarely makes much of a difference.

Not a huge nerf and he's still fun to play but I wish they hadn't made that change.

That's a shame.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jack Van Burace posted:

That's a real shame about Azazel, I'm not super great at the game so it was nice to have somebody I could usually have a good chance at a win right out of the gate with. Can he get lucky item drops to fix him still?

Anything that you can get to make Azazel more powerful would make the other characters more more powerful

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
The Book of Belial nerf is hilarious because we knew it was a bug day 1 and they waited a year to fix it.

Same thing with Dr. Fetus. Literally just numbers in a file somewhere were wrong and it took them a year to fix.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I decided to try out Azazel after the nerf, first run I get Ludivico, kill Hush. Decide to try another run, get Epic Fetus in my first item room and kill Mega Satan. So much for ever having to play that character again.

Also I got a trinket called Endless Nameless that seems to give you a chance at re-using a pill / card / rune. Managed to get it to work off a Balls of Steel pill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Anything that you can get to make Azazel more powerful would make the other characters more more powerful

Whats worse is while Azazel was great out of the gate, but there's a good handful of items that don't synergize with him. I can't think of them off the top of my head, but there's been a ton of items that have made me go "oh I wonder what this combo will do? Oh. Nothing."

If they want to give him a weaker start I'd really like to see range ups be noticeably more effective on him.