Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Droid posted:

People should care about the plot in RPGs, but nobody cares about the plot in Bethesda RPGs because they loving suck, as evidenced by that spoiler.

I didn't care about it in Fallouts 1 through 2 either. Especially 2, gently caress 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think it's safe to say that literally any plot will sound dumb if you condense it to one sentence with an intentional goal of making it sound shallow and dumb.

i looked up the plot to "the road" and its just a dad and his kid walking around wtf?!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I think it's overall safe to say that no open world game can have that deep of a plot without being forced to railroad you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geoff Zahn posted:

I think it's overall safe to say that no open world game can have that deep of a plot without being forced to railroad you

What about Far Cry Blood Dragon?

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Al! posted:

Game developers are aging and now half the plots are about their insecurities about their new fatherhood

And it pisses me off

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Geoff Zahn posted:

yes, every open world game, please ignore the one that came out this year that was the exact opposite of this.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
Well, now I remember why I dont read SA threads before games are released.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hopterque posted:

yes, every open world game, please ignore the one that came out this year that was the exact opposite of this.

I really really really love Witcher 3 but its plot is railroad central, just well-motivated in being so.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Xii posted:

Well, now I remember why I dont read SA threads before games are released.

If you don't like watching retards argue about meaningless garbage why would you read the forums at all.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I really really really love Witcher 3 but its plot is railroad central, just well-motivated in being so.

The DLC's plot is quite interesting though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fallout plots:

Fallout 1: FIND CHIP
Fallout 2: FIND GECK
Fallout 3: FIND DAD
Fallout New Vegas: FIND CHIP
Fallout 4: FIND SON

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

botany posted:

i looked up the plot to "the road" and its just a dad and his kid walking around wtf?!

titanic is just about a boat sinking. i already knew it was going to sink because its a true story. waste of 3 hours

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xii posted:

The DLC's plot is quite interesting though.

I need to buy the DLC, I'm waiting for it to go on Steam Sale so I can justify re-buying the PC version cuz I'm a sucka.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The Goatfather posted:

titanic is just about a boat sinking. i already knew it was going to sink because its a true story. waste of 3 hours

This but unironically

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

hopterque posted:

If you don't like watching retards argue about meaningless garbage why would you read the forums at all.

Sometimes an aspie will spew out a golden nugget, its rare but it happens.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Magmarashi posted:

This but unironically

Though on the other hand, Billy Zane would be good to have in this game. He's a cool guy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

the biggest problem with the witcher 3 is that it constantly selects the main quest for you and railroads you along instead of encouraging you to gently caress off and explore the world because 90% of the awesome poo poo in that game is totally off the path of the main quest chain

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Though on the other hand, Billy Zane would be good to have in this game. He's a cool guy.

Let me tell you about a game called Kingdom Hearts.

The Goatfather posted:

the biggest problem with the witcher 3 is that it defaults back to the main quest and railroads you along instead of encouraging you to explore the world because 90% of the awesome poo poo in that game is totally off the path of the main quest chain

Yeah, I admit, I found 'fantasy rat exterminator" the most compelling part of Witcher 3. "Welp, looks like you got rear end goblins here. Gonna have to go out to my truck and get some rear end Goblin Tincture and we'll get that right cleared up for you."

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Gotta kill some time before it actually comes out, right? More than likely a lot of the details Squeezy has dumped on us are probably just really plausible sounding BS, but whatever the case, it's guaranteed you're gonna find your son as a grown-rear end man and he's gonna be involved in something you have to deal with in some way.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's pretty hosed that if you don't find your son in 150 days it automatically game overs.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Funny bugs are a charm of Bethesda games. I remember watching peoples Red Dead redemption videos and seeing donkey woman and the bird people. I was super jealous that I couldn't get those things to happen in my game (they patched it out or something).

Also, the (pc) graphics look real good to me. :shrug: Speaking as a professional digital artist, I admire the art direction. I love the soft edges theme used for all the old world stuff, and the strange mix of faded but somehow vibrant colour used on it. They used mainly primary colours and occasionally secondary colours to paint everything so stuff that's painted stands out. It's clever and looks good. I'll be saving my pennies up for the art book. Sucks that it's delayed until December.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also you can easily click the link and see there are clearly indoor shadows even in your house and literally one scene takes place in an extremely overly brightly lit room that has dimmer shadows for thematic reasons. Where the guy at the door casts the first shadow into your life to ask if you know about the war coming. (and then a nuclear war kills everyone).

I mean complain about the visual symbolism being dumb or whatever but don't act like it's some graphics issue removing shadows from that scene.

That's not dumb at all even. That's some pretty good symbolism actually. I like it.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 4, 2015

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

RBA Starblade posted:

Fallout plots:

So really you could say these games are like Carmen San Diego or where's Waldo but in the apocalypse

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
The only shadow that matters is Dreamy Digital Jon Hamm's five o'clock shadow

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

They actually named the baby Shaun. I know I said it was going to be Heavy Rain dialogue with an LA Noire interface, but I wasn't ready for this.

Cream-Of-Plenty's posts have coalesced into a pool of primordial soup and Fallout 4 has sprung from it's depths.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

They actually named the baby Shaun. I know I said it was going to be Heavy Rain dialogue with an LA Noire interface, but I wasn't ready for this.

Cream-Of-Plenty's posts have coalesced into a pool of primordial soup and Fallout 4 has sprung from it's depths.

Monster Brew

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, I kinda don't wanna read spoilers but that one does not surprise me in any way at all.

Monster Brew Crew 4 Lyf

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

So really you could say these games are like Carmen San Diego or where's Waldo but in the apocalypse

Imagine if every time you started a new game, you had to track down a different [OBJECTIVE] and you had to follow a different set of clues and bread crumbs through different setpieces. Like, this time your son survives, but next time it's your wife, only it's not your wife but the cyborg someone made from her corpse who is hell bent on becoming the new Master, and then next it's that door to door vault salesman who broke in and threw your family out of their cryo tubes so they died hundreds of years ago and now he's trying to rebuild the vault industry.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

RBA Starblade posted:

Fallout plots:

Wasn't Fo3: FIND DAD AND GECK ?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Fallout New Vegas: SHOOT GECKO

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

can i shoot and kill my dead gay son?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cheap Shot posted:

Wasn't Fo3: FIND DAD AND GECK ?

Yes but that breaks the pattern. :v:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Saints row 4 had a good plot. Witcher 3 did not

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RC Cola posted:

Well I was content letting the thread poo poo itself out of existence, but I have to say this is a wee bit too far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bethesda games are like a plot assembly kit. They provide you with some lovely sample plots and then you have to go build your own by bollocksing around the world and falling into dungeons and stuff.

If you play Bethesda games like you played with action men as a kid you'll have fun with them.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Lotish posted:

Imagine if every time you started a new game, you had to track down a different [OBJECTIVE] and you had to follow a different set of clues and bread crumbs through different setpieces. Like, this time your son survives, but next time it's your wife, only it's not your wife but the cyborg someone made from her corpse who is hell bent on becoming the new Master, and then next it's that door to door vault salesman who broke in and threw your family out of their cryo tubes so they died hundreds of years ago and now he's trying to rebuild the vault industry.

That'd be a way better use of their VA recording time than the thousand baby names.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

FauxGateau posted:

Well I was content letting the thread poo poo itself out of existence, but I have to say this is a wee bit too far.

A prophet is not without honor except in his own home forum.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Also, I'm definitely going to kill my idiot son.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

RC Cola posted:

I looked up the plot for Saints Row 4 and it was apparently about the president looking for her best friend.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

UP AND ADAM posted:

Also, I'm definitely going to wield him as a bat and get the Big League bonus for maximum damage!!!

NOW YOU'RE THINKIN'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

UP AND ADAM posted:

Also, I'm definitely going to kill my idiot son.

"I love my dead gay son."
"But I'm not--"

• Locked thread