Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

What's the general consensus on Beyond Earth: Rising Tide? I know BE had a ton of issues, on top of just being boring and lifeless, how much did the expansion fix it? Did it give BE the Brave New World/Gods and Kings treatment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Is Skyshine's BEDLAM as bad as the reviews say?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow the reviews for Anno 2205 arent holding back.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

jivjov posted:

Okay..so now I'm confused. I played New Vegas with absolutely no issues for about an hour this morning. I come back again now to play some more, and my launcher is crashing immediately again. I've made no changes to anything in the intervening time.

You don't need to launch the game via the launcher. Besides who launches those games via the launcher instead of a mod manager anyway?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Safari Disco Lion posted:

What's the general consensus on Beyond Earth: Rising Tide? I know BE had a ton of issues, on top of just being boring and lifeless, how much did the expansion fix it? Did it give BE the Brave New World/Gods and Kings treatment?

It introduced a bunch of new mechanics that are completely unbalanced. So, it's kinda more interesting due to that, but also has little long-term appeal at the same time.

So, not the Gods and Kings treatment.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Not gonna chase people down in any way to give something away. Following still available. One per person. Whoever quotes for the item first gets it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah it's getting slammed hard.

From what I can tell people see that half the systems have been gutted from it and don't realise how incredibly awful juggling those systems along with three different terrains that are already demanding as they are would have been.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SynthOrange posted:

I was pleasantly surprised the negative reviews weren't just blasting Uplay like every other mid-tier Ubisoft franchise release at release date.

Anno is such a strange franchise because of the intersection of spreadsheeters, RTS players, and people that just want to make cool looking cities. Case in point a lot of the negative reviews make me want to play the game more at the correct Anno price, which is $30 on sale for the game and a rollup of a years worth of DLC.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Not gonna chase people down in any way to give something away. Following still available. One per person. Whoever quotes for the item first gets it.

Could I snag Castle Crashers? http://steamcommunity.com/id/c6h6/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Awesome! posted:

i didnt know jivjov posts on reddit

Mostly just the amiibo subreddit.

Kanfy posted:

You don't need to launch the game via the launcher. Besides who launches those games via the launcher instead of a mod manager anyway?

I still get the crash when I try to run the executable directly. And I have no mods to manage, so I don't use a mod manager.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Speaking of Uplay, how bad is the experience with Anno 2205. It was horrendous with the previous entry.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

jivjov posted:

Mostly just the amiibo subreddit.

I still get the crash when I try to run the executable directly. And I have no mods to manage, so I don't use a mod manager.

When I get insta-crash on start with games, it's usually because nVidia Optimus or whatever has decided that it wants to use the lovely integrated GPU rather than the actual graphics card. Try checking New Vegas's profile in the nVidia control panel and make sure it's actually using your card.

I have no explanation for how you managed to get it working earlier though, so this might not be it :shrug:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

TEHJOE posted:

Is Skyshine's BEDLAM as bad as the reviews say?

Yes and No.

The initial impression everyone got from reviews/news/the devs themselves was that it'd be an XCOM like roguelike strategy game. It isn't that at all. The class depth is shallow, battles are short/quick ( you can only move twice per turn, and attack is considered a turn, so you are usually setting up for an attack/attacking, or alternatively avoiding an attack/getting into position with your "turn", rather then playing little general. ), and most of the "strategy" is in the setup phase more then anything.

But it's also not terrible? The roguelike aspect of it is quick ( a good run usually takes about an hour or so if you get lucky. Maybe more if you stay in Bedlam state to get resources/level people up. ), which means if you gently caress up, it's not much lost time. And once you understand the rhythm the game wants you to play in ( almost a Frozen Synapse level of "setup for kills, everyone dies in a single hit, watch everything go poorly for you system, if a bit more simplistic/easier to comprehend. ) you'll have a good enough time.

The 2.0 update also changed the game in a lot of ways. Originally it was pretty loving hard to reach anything, but now with 2.0, your first run is actually pretty safe, even though it can "ruin" your run instantly if you gently caress up. You'll probably reach Aztec City fairly quickly once you start getting the hang of things. After your first victory though, the game difficulty continues to rise alongside you, until it sits at the original Hard difficulty level. To compensate, they changed a whole bunch of core systems. Now all the races have their own faction specific buff ( Mutants start at low health, but gain health every turn they don't fight. They are loving ASSHOLES because of it. Robots stealth every 3? turns, which makes them invulnerable for a turn. Cyborgs will automatically sacrifice 1 HP every other turn in favor of 1 more damage. Marauders get ???????? because I have no clue. ), and if you choose to start with a faction Dozer, you start with all the faction specific characters from that race that you'd normally find in Bedlam. Meaning you can build your run around which faction buff you prefer the most.

I don't think it's perfect at all, and honestly the 2.0 update made the game super easy in a few too many ways, so I think it still needs some finetuning. But it's fun enough. It's a bit too shallow to really compare to either XCOM or your average Roguelike, which could turn off some people, but I like it at least.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Speaking of Uplay, how bad is the experience with Anno 2205. It was horrendous with the previous entry.

Much better, the only time i had to interact with it was to sign in once.

Also take the steam reviews with a grain of salt, most of them are grognards who are pissy that they changed a few game mechanics for the better.

There are some things that can be seen as legit downsides tho, like no random maps or multiplayer. I dont do city builder multiplayer, and random maps never did much for me so i dont mind, but others might have different priorities.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'll take one of the bundles. I've heard good things about both games.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pradmer/

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Can I have one of the bundles? Thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/owl_pellet/

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Could I get the mystery item?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Harmburger/

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sorry mystery item isn't avail.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Sorry mystery item isn't avail.

Thanks anyways!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

jivjov posted:

Even without a manager you can mod it to crash less which has apparently helped a lot of people, though as with most mods for these games you do need the script extender first.

Of course it's always hard to say how much things like that help since there are so many reasons for those issues, especially with Gamebryo.

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

castle crashers? there's one left right?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/FishMist/

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
So Rebel Galaxy doesn't have much of a story, but man, if you like lasers and fighting enemies that use ships nearly as big as the space stations. I also enjoy warping around and seeing planets and the star shrink into the distance.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Agean90 posted:

Also take the steam reviews with a grain of salt, most of them are grognards who are pissy that they changed a few game mechanics for the better.

There are some things that can be seen as legit downsides tho, like no random maps or multiplayer. I dont do city builder multiplayer, and random maps never did much for me so i dont mind, but others might have different priorities.

All of this sounds like a pro to me, but I was firmly in the Let's Build A Pretty City camp for Dawn of Discovery and the other future one that kinda sucked.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"About 10 seconds into the video (Game Informer’s Ben Reeves does not waste any time getting to the big questions), Sam Lake is asked the question “Will we ever get to play Alan Wake 2?” His simple response: “Yes.”"

http://www.onlysp.com/quantum-break-director-potentially-confirms-alan-wake-2/

good

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Quest For Glory II posted:

"About 10 seconds into the video (Game Informer’s Ben Reeves does not waste any time getting to the big questions), Sam Lake is asked the question “Will we ever get to play Alan Wake 2?” His simple response: “Yes.”"

good
That's good, I wasn't totally keen on the original, but American Nightmare's improvements on the combat changed my mind and I wanted more.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Agean90 posted:

Uplay has gotten surprisingly less intrusive lately.

I'm playing through Farcry4 right now and outside of the initial pop up when loading and a small ad when quitting, it's become very much a background thing.

I don't like it, and I'll still opt to get Ubi-games through Steam for Steam's patching, but I can live with Uplay in its current state.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Jamfrost posted:

So Rebel Galaxy doesn't have much of a story, but man, if you like lasers and fighting enemies that use ships nearly as big as the space stations. I also enjoy warping around and seeing planets and the star shrink into the distance.

Rebel Galaxy so far is just what I wanted out of a Space Gametm; I mostly wanted to get rid of having to deal with the 6-way movement of flight in space.

At first I was worried that this would detract from the feel of combat but I was soon relieved because it all still feels quite space-y due to the NPCs being able to fly up/down relative to you (while you continue to be able to target them with your weapons).

Need to play it some more and get a better ship though, I was getting destroyed pretty easily by some of the early fights. Docking/leaving a station is your save point and if you die you just go back to that save point.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I find it hard to be interested in the new Anno because of the Future theme. I just want islands and boats and stuff.

I'd totally be down with a Roman-era Anno though. Anno 108 or something (since the numbers in the year must always sum together as 9).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Extra Life 2015 Bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly/extralife

$1
Jazzpunk
How to Survive
Overlord
Devilian
XSplit Premium 1 Month License
Coupon: 67% off any MacVenture Series game (Deja Vu, Shadowgate, Uninvited)

BTA
Overlord II
Shadowgate (2014)
How to Survive: Third Person Standalone
It Came From Space and Ate Our Brains
Trove Skyfire Helm

$9+
Secret Ponchos

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Does anyone know if the overlord in that bundle includes the expansion?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

mr. nobody posted:

Rebel Galaxy so far is just what I wanted out of a Space Gametm; I mostly wanted to get rid of having to deal with the 6-way movement of flight in space.

At first I was worried that this would detract from the feel of combat but I was soon relieved because it all still feels quite space-y due to the NPCs being able to fly up/down relative to you (while you continue to be able to target them with your weapons).

Need to play it some more and get a better ship though, I was getting destroyed pretty easily by some of the early fights. Docking/leaving a station is your save point and if you die you just go back to that save point.
I'm curious, is that because you are flying ships that are larger than strike craft (i.e. individual fighters)? Because from what I heard combat is basically like operating a galleon or something (e.g. Black Flag ship combat), because I really wouldn't understand sticking navigation to a 2D plane if you were just an individual fighter.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, the smallest playable ships in the game are Corvettes. The starter is a fast, quick turning thing with a 3-gun broadside and a couple turrets.

Think Space Sloop.

Its also about the size of one of the engine-pods of the Blackgate Dreadnought which I believe has 20 broadsides and 20 turrets.

That same Corvette also has a credible chance of defeating that Dreadnought, assuming same level parts, since it can hug the Dreadnought so close that barely any of its guns are capable of hitting it.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

EDIT: Beaten.

Shadow Warrior 2 looks cool.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Joe Gillian posted:

EDIT: Beaten.

Shadow Warrior 2 looks cool.
The only thing I'm actually worried about is that they'll just throw out Wang's character development from the first game. Because the writing was a genuinely nice thing about that game.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Humble Extra Life 2015 Bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly/extralife

$1
Jazzpunk
How to Survive
Overlord
Devilian
XSplit Premium 1 Month License
Coupon: 67% off any MacVenture Series game (Deja Vu, Shadowgate, Uninvited)

BTA
Overlord II
Shadowgate (2014)
How to Survive: Third Person Standalone
It Came From Space and Ate Our Brains
Trove Skyfire Helm

$9+
Secret Ponchos

Jazzpunk is extremely worth $1. Hell, I bought it full price and was satisfied, but y'all should definitely jump on it. It's like a whacked-out extended version of something by Blendo Games

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I know this is from a while back, but jesus. Aren't the Carpe Fulgur guys goons? I hope they're doing alright now. Game looks good, too - definitely gonna have to pick it up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Also good news for chumps like me who want Overlord 2 for 2 bucks and change because who the gently caress is going to want any of the rest of the BTA, or god forbid Secret Poncho for $9 (on top of there being local choices outside of Humble for Extra life donations if that's what you're actually into)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

abraham linksys posted:

Jazzpunk is extremely worth $1. Hell, I bought it full price and was satisfied, but y'all should definitely jump on it. It's like a whacked-out extended version of something by Blendo Games

Agreed. It's a little short and feels like it should be a lot better than it actually is but it's definitely worth a playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lBiCn9Kk4U

The original soundtrack is made almost entirely using old analog equipment and it rules.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

quote:

4:55 AM - СЛИВАЮ ЁПТА: hello :) Im just interesting in high tier items/skins
4:55 AM - Xander77: sup
4:55 AM - СЛИВАЮ ЁПТА: 1 sec, ill check your bp again..
4:55 AM - СЛИВАЮ ЁПТА: {LINK REMOVED} how about it? I can buy it with 10% OFF of full price...i got 40 keys for spend atm :)
4:55 AM - СЛИВАЮ ЁПТА: Are u interesting in my offer? Good items :)
{Link Removed} isn't me editing the link out - that's in the original steamchat. So either phishers are going for some next-gen mindfucking surrealist experiences, or steam is actively censoring known scam links.

Which is... a new thing, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

The only thing I'm actually worried about is that they'll just throw out Wang's character development from the first game. Because the writing was a genuinely nice thing about that game.
Yeah this is a legit concern because it seems like they're making multiplayer a big focus. A problem with Dying Light was that the story was dogshit but the game was fun and really fun with friends, so I hope it isn't just that.

• Locked thread