Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Slightly Toasted posted:

Omg our health minister is an actual Doctor what is this witchcraft

Ontario has a doctor for health minister as well. Unfortunately, he skipped proctology day so we continue to be a broke rear end province with pissed off doctors and nurses. Luckily, Trudeau isn't going down the same massive spending road that the OLP did to put us in this position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you did it tom :canada:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Continuing to act like he didn't just lead his party to an incredibly disappointing election result after an incredibly disappointing campaign - check that box, mission accomplished.

I'd feel a lot better about the NDP if I heard some mea culpas.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jordan7hm posted:

Continuing to act like he didn't just lead his party to an incredibly disappointing election result after an incredibly disappointing campaign - check that box, mission accomplished.

I'd feel a lot better about the NDP if I heard some mea culpas.

Oh stop, you're just upset that someone's not paying attention to Trudeau.

* runs away, quietly sobbing *

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

I have heard more or less the same thing from organizers who lost to the Liberals - hey we unseated a Conservative! Mission accomplished! It's pretty sad

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I will pay someone to make me an av of the Are you loving kidding me shrug, and make the custom title "Gender Eqaulity in government? Cause it's 2015"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
We're settling in for a four year nap. There's nothing Mulcair or any New Democrat could do that would matter one bit four years from now. Mulcair could smear himself in chicken blood and streak through parliament screaming "Blood for the blood God, skulls for the Skull Throne!" and it'd be forgotten long before an election were called.

It's time to chill and watch Trudeau do his thing. As of right now there isn't really a government for the NDP to offer an alternative to yet.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Funkdreamer posted:

So a C.D. Howe acolyte got appointed to the Finance portfolio? Sad, but not surprising.

This is my biggest criticism of the Trudeau cabinet. So far most of the picks seem fine but Marneau being an MBA Bay Street CEO from the C. D. Howe Institute is a disappointing return to Liberal form. On the bright side maybe it means CPP expansion since he was on Wynne's ORPP planning team.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

Capri Sun News

underrated

For real though, this was my first time voting in a federal election and even though I voted orange, I'm really optimistic about how things are going to go over the next few years. All my professors (UW Faculty of Environment) are pretty pumped too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BGrifter posted:

We're settling in for a four year nap. There's nothing Mulcair or any New Democrat could do that would matter one bit four years from now. Mulcair could smear himself in chicken blood and streak through parliament screaming "Blood for the blood God, skulls for the Skull Throne!" and it'd be forgotten long before an election were called.

It's time to chill and watch Trudeau do his thing. As of right now there isn't really a government for the NDP to offer an alternative to yet.

What the Liberals started to do in 2011 set them up for 2015.

Maybe the NDP will reflect on the nature of their failure between now and April, and on how they can put themselves in a position to form our next government, but they're not really saying anything in public to suggest that's what is going to happen.

We will have another election in only 4 years. The time to start planning how to win it is right now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

This is my biggest criticism of the Trudeau cabinet. So far most of the picks seem fine but Marneau being an MBA Bay Street CEO from the C. D. Howe Institute is a disappointing return to Liberal form. On the bright side maybe it means CPP expansion.

That's a pretty valid criticism, although I would point out that most people with the experience necessary for that position probably have some background in finance. I'm glad he got it, because it will make Bay Street nice and calm and my stocks will go up as a result!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Mulcair will get turfed at the member convention, the party doesn't have the power to force him to do anything until then.

Up against JT Mulcair will lose again. They need a younger person with charisma and ideals.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

This press conference is insane.

"What decisions are you going to make right away tell us now! Now now now now now!"

"...well, we haven't even been briefed on the current situation, so I want to wait until I can make an informed decision."

"No! Tell us now!"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reporters are literal scum

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CLAM DOWN posted:

Reporters are literal scum

Can't really blame Harper not talking to them eh?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Mulcair's behavior is making me think that we dodged a bullet here. While I think there would have been material benefits to an NDP government it also would have been a huge validation of the Layton-Mulcair strategy of becoming the new Liberal party. While I suspect that the NDP's leadership and bureaucracy will try to stay on that course they've been discredited enough that there's at least some space to mount a challenge against the direction they're moving the party in. I can tolerate Bill Moreneau as finance minister if it keeps alive the (ghostly) prospect of a genuine leftist alternative party.

I'm also increasingly coming to the conclusion that damaging the NDP's electoral prospects is a necessary sacrifice to get rid of Mulcair. The problem here isn't just his campaign team, it's him. He was the finance critic, he helped pull the party in it's neoliberal direction, he's praised Tony Blair and he never convincingly addressed his past praise for Thatcher (the fact the NDP treated this is an irrelevance rather than taking the opportunity to discuss how Mulcair's views had evolved was a major red flag about just how bad the party has gotten. A different leader could have used that moment as an opportunity to discuss their political philosophy, but Mulcair's only philosophy seems to be gaining power so he can administer a very slightly more humane version of capitalism. That's a suitable position for a Liberal leader, not an NDP one, and if that's what is currently required to get elected then the NDP should content itself with merely holding the balance of power and wait for the situation to change, as it always eventually does).

In my opinion the NDP for the last decade has committed one of life's most dangerous errors: misunderstanding the causes of your own success. Misunderstanding why you fail is bad enough, but misunderstanding why you succeed can be truly fatal. And there's no reason to think the current leadership will ever gain a better understanding of what happened. If I had to be on it I'd say that the vast majority never will.

Franks Happy Place posted:

You are such a good poster. Want to start a politics blog with me?

That's an extremely generous sentiment and offer. I'm cautious about taking on a project like that right now for personal reasons (I'm really busy right now) and because the last few years have made me more self conscious about keeping my real life and my internet life at arm's length. That having been said, if you have a way for me to get in touch with you then we should talk.

BGrifter posted:

To the contrary, the party can take this time to make some serious internal reforms and adjustments. For one thing, I'd like to see an actual discussion of whether providing "an alternative [to the government]" should even be the NDP's primary objective.

I know it seems like obvious common sense that this is what a political party does: it makes a convincing case that it should be the next governing party. But actually two of the most consequential parties in our history - the CCF / Early federal NDP, and the Reform party, never formed a national government. Yet the CCF / NDP had a huge influence on the development of key social programs like Healthcare and the Reform party played a big role in jerking the country rightward and in giving Chretien / Martin the political cover to make such deep cuts into the welfare and regulatory state.

Winning is obviously in the interest of MPs and their staffers but that doesn't mean it's in the interest of the party's actual membership, or Canadians in general.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ikantski posted:

Can't really blame Harper not talking to them eh?

Definitely what I said and think, yeah :jerkbag:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Mulcair will get turfed at the member convention, the party doesn't have the power to force him to do anything until then.

Up against JT Mulcair will lose again. They need a younger person with charisma and ideals.

Don't take this for granted.

If you (you being anyone reading this) are pissed off with the NDP and think you might want to see Mulcair go then get in touch with your local riding association and say you want to get involved (I don't recommend explaining your intention to vote against Mulcair at this point). Purchase a year's membership ($5 if you say you're low income) and make sure you know when the nomination meeting for delegates is. If at all possible get friends or family to sign up and come with you to vote for you as a delegate (or even better get them to also run as delegates and / or run for the riding executive positions).

If you have enough time to waste on SA you almost certainly have the menas to get involved in a peripheral way with your riding association (actually travelling to the convention is obviously out of reach for a lot of people but if possible you should do it).

Under no circumstances should you assume the party will change courses on it's own. Horwath ran a disastrous election and was still able to (narrowly) save herself by dumping a few advisers and bussing in a lot of supporters from out of town during the convention.

Seriously guys. I know the NDP is terrible but the Labour Party in Britain and the Democrats in the USA are both way worse. And yet those parties now have their Sanders / Corbyn insurgents making waves because leftists in those countries stopped feeling so precious about their sacred votes and decided to hold their noses and actually get involved in the nitty gritty details of political organization building.

If you don't like the NDP but sympathize with their historical political views then join up and do something about it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Helsing pretty much hit the nail on the head. I find myself sympathetic to the NDP but I'm glad they lost. I didn't want them to be rewarded for the rightward shift they pulled and lo and behold they weren't. Still can't believe Mulclair didn't resign after the rear end kicking he received.

So far trudea's cabinet seems good, the new finance minister notwithstanding, so let's see what they outline in their throne speech in a month.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Slightly Toasted posted:

Omg our health minister is an actual Doctor what is this witchcraft
A gentle reminder that physicians do not frequently make competent politicians. Other physicians in politics include Hedy "Burning Crosses" Fry, Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard and his Health Minister Gaetan Barrette who appear to be trying to gut the Canada Health Act, and Ben "Total Moron" Carson.

Kellie "Barbaric Cultural Practices" Leitch would count, but as an orthopedic surgeon she is technically a member of the Carpenter's Guild.

That being said, Jane Philpott seems to have actually done some work in health management, and I suspect that she'd be supportive of progressive health causes given that she ran a clinic in Niger for 9 years.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Throw city manager penny ballem on to that pile of burning poo poo.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Also, lol Ruby dhalla

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

A gentle reminder that physicians do not frequently make competent politicians. Other physicians in politics include Hedy "Burning Crosses" Fry, Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard and his Health Minister Gaetan Barrette who appear to be trying to gut the Canada Health Act, and Ben "Total Moron" Carson.

Kellie "Barbaric Cultural Practices" Leitch would count, but as an orthopedic surgeon she is technically a member of the Carpenter's Guild.

That being said, Jane Philpott seems to have actually done some work in health management, and I suspect that she'd be supportive of progressive health causes given that she ran a clinic in Niger for 9 years.

As a more general point, working in a field does not qualify you to be minister responsible for that field! You want a minister to come in and be able to weigh the views of all stakeholders and take the best decision, not with a prejudice towards a group or another.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So what you're saying is one of you sjw trots would make a fine finmin right

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So British Columbia is a barrel of laughs these days.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/massey-tunnel-replacement-project-foi-returns-no-records-1.3303545

quote:

On the heels of a stinging report by B.C.'s privacy commissioner about the triple deletion of provincial government records related to the Highway of Tears, a Delta man is wondering what happened to information on the George Massey Tunnel replacement decision.

Ian Robertson, a retired professional engineer, wanted to know how the government chose a bridge to replace the Massey Tunnel over the four other options that were on the table.

Premier Christy Clark made the bridge announcement at the 2013 Union of B.C. Municipalities convention, but when Robertson filed a freedom of information request he was stunned with the response that "no records were located."

"Humourously I speculated that maybe the premier made the decision in the midst of her morning shower on the way to UBCM because she didn't have anything else to say," said Robertson.

The 10-lane bridge will replace the congested 60-year-old tunnel between Richmond and Delta along Highway 99. Construction is slated to begin in 2017 and will cost an estimated $3-billion.

"This is a multi billion dollar project," said Robertson. "They're going to replace a four lane tunnel with an eight to 10 lane bridge so someone has to have done some thinking at some point somewhere along there to get there."

Not the first time

Delta South MLA Vicki Huntington said she was also told there were "no records" after her office made an FOI request to the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure for ten years of records relating to the Massey Tunnel replacement project.

"Government information is becoming an endangered species in this province," stated Huntington.

Robertson feels the "no records" report highlights a worrying trend in the way government handles information.

"There's clearly a process going on behind the curtain and it's not being exposed to the public," he said.

Having done an FOI myself before on BC Ferries, it's pretty funny how I was able to get firewall rules sent via e-mail and details on the contract and yet nothing can be found on bridge building.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

So what you're saying is one of you sjw trots would make a fine finmin right

I'd prefer national revenue.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Also, lol Ruby dhalla
Ruby Dhalla is a chiropractor, and as such is as much a physician as our retardate former "Science" minister Gary Goodyear.

E: sorry, it was "Doctor" James Lunney who put it on his campaign signs. I forgot the tories had two creationist chiropractor MPs.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 5, 2015

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Helsing posted:

To the contrary, the party can take this time to make some serious internal reforms and adjustments.

I agree about the need for serious internal change. I just don't think it has to happen overnight under a majority government. I'm fine with Mulcair playing the Bob Rae role as interm leader while the party does a little soul searching.

If three years from now Mulcair is still party leader pushing Liberal Lite, I'll start to worry.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Have you listened to any of the documentaries about what happens to people Canada deports to Somalia? You might as well just call kidnappers to come pick them up at Pearson.
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-july-14-2015-1.3150777/to-no-man-s-land-deportation-to-somalia-part-two-1.3150800

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus christ.

"Well, what if some men were passed over just for a woman?!"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

BGrifter posted:

I agree about the need for serious internal change. I just don't think it has to happen overnight under a majority government. I'm fine with Mulcair playing the Bob Rae role as interm leader while the party does a little soul searching.

If three years from now Mulcair is still party leader pushing Liberal Lite, I'll start to worry.

If Mulcair doesn't lose the leadership vote in 2016 there's absolutely no reason to think he won't stick around for the next election.

Also Bob Rae made a fine interim leader because he very much embodied the sort of politician that the Liberals wanted as leader. If you happen to agree with my analysis that Mulcair is the wrong kind of leader then there's no reason to want him in charge for even a day longer than necessary. Why would it make any sense to provide power and influence to someone with different goals than your own? If you want a left wing party then don't support Mulcair.

As Pinterest Mom has pointed out the NDP membership tends to be conflict adverse. So I would suggest to you that unless somebody actually starts doing something about the current state of affairs there's good reason to think that Mulcair and/or his team (i.e. people who think that Andrew Thompson, Nathan Cullen and Don Davies should be the face of the party and that folks like Ann McGrath and Brian Topp should be its brain trust) will remain in control.

The time to take action is when the defeat still stings, the failure of the party leadership is fresh in everyone's minds, and the party's constitution creates an opening. That moment is coming up soon, not in three years. Your suggestion would be to remaincomplacent and not to worry until after it would be much too late to do anything.

Mulcair got his chance and then blew it. Then instead of addressing his failures he and his supporters have given every indication they don't think anything was actually wrong with their campaign or the direction they lead the party in. I'm sure there will be some small gestures of conciliation leading up to the convention but barring a really dramatic show of contrition at this point I think it's safe to conclude that the party is not gearing itself up for a serious debate on what went wrong. Instead the people who hosed up are looking for the best way to spin their failures.

pubic void nullo posted:

Have you listened to any of the documentaries about what happens to people Canada deports to Somalia? You might as well just call kidnappers to come pick them up at Pearson.
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-july-14-2015-1.3150777/to-no-man-s-land-deportation-to-somalia-part-two-1.3150800

You must be new here if you're actually trying to appeal to Cultural Imperial's sense of empathy.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Vintersorg posted:

Jesus christ.

"Well, what if some men were passed over just for a woman?!"

This'll be a fun link to watch tomorrow, anyone planning on picking up some shares?

https://www.google.com/finance?q=TSE%3Ah&ei=5p06VsjtJ8_YjAG37p3YDg

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

You loving idiots know what the partition of India is right

you realize sikhs arent hindus, right?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I'm an Australian and I just came in to say: holy poo poo Canada, your cabinet is amazing. Ours is almost exclusively old, white, and male.

:allears:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

the talent deficit posted:

you realize sikhs arent hindus, right?

I can't even describe what I'm feeling right now

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

I can't even describe what I'm feeling right now

I don't get why people put you on ignore or programmatically replace your posts. I enjoy your, sometimes strange, opinions :confused:

Albino Squirrel are your digs at doctors some sort of friendly ribbing or do you generally look down on some of the fields of medicine?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Cultural Imperial is great and I'd never put him on ignore. The way he combines utter contempt for 99% of human life and a fixation on consumption based lifestyle indicators is endlessly enjoyable. It's like David Brooks and Benito Mussolini had an ethnically Han love child.

I do wish he'd move on from using "SJW" so much, it's become even more played out than "Craftbeer Marxist". My humble suggestion for a new term would be "Cannabis Communists".

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cannabis communists is such a mouthful! How about "Toking trots"?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I am a big enough man to admit when I have been bested, comrade. :ussr: :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

jm20 posted:

Albino Squirrel are your digs at doctors some sort of friendly ribbing or do you generally look down on some of the fields of medicine?
Friendly ribbing. Surgeons are assholes, radiologists are cave dwellers, psychiatrists are all crazy but I have good friends in all specialties. I'm well aware that my own field of family medicine has a not-unjustified reputation as being the field you fall into if you're too dumb to do anything else.

That goes for actual physicians however. I have nothing but scorn for naturopaths, homeopaths, "traditional" chiropractors, and other non-evidence-based "doctors".