Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Woozy posted:

Remind me again what the danger is in "cheapening comparisons to Nazi Germany"? What does that even look like? Just answer clearly and explicitly what the absolute worst case scenario is that takes place when the comparison is permitted to stand.

I mean, sure its an effective rhetorical tactic that draws easy connections between the parade of right wing nationalists responsible for the subjugation and murder of an entire people and Nazis, but have you considered that should the Dark Lord Sauron take power in the near future comparisons to Hitler would be so cheapened as to not even make him feel a little guilty?

You can see it right in front of you in this very thread in stupid derails about whether or not the comparison is apt, and people rightly taking offense to having policies of their country spuriously equivocated with the actions of people who aimed to annihilate them as a race. It makes it even less likely that any kind of sensible discussion be made.

Cat Mattress posted:

"As long as there are knit kippot, the throne is not whole. That’s Amalek. When will the throne be whole? When there is no knit kippah." --Rabbi Shalom Cohen

That's a lot more antisemitic than I'll ever be.

I'll be sure to probate him if he ever posts here like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Main Paineframe posted:

I would think a bigger problem with comparing Israel to Nazi Germany is that it's not even remotely accurate. There isn't some kind of magic immunity field Israel gets from Nazi comparisons because of the Holocaust, it's just a plain bad analogy. If you're trying to make that analogy, it's because "I think you are bad, I think the Nazis are really bad, so I'm going to hyperbolically compare you to Nazis to demonstrate how bad I think you are".

Only insofar as comparisons between Nazis and most things are prima facie not even remotely accurate. Yet everything is compared to Nazis because it's a basic anchor point. CF the shrill hysteria over Iran in Israel and the US.

Yet take for example, illustrations of routine humiliations of Jews shown in popular films about the Holocaust. Schindler's List - German guards finding it hilarious to match up odd combinations of people and force them to dance or The Pianist, the protagonist's father being beaten for not doffing a cap and then forced to walk in a gutter. The crimes get worse and worse from there but drawing a comparison between those racist humiliations and what Palestinians have faced at checkpoints for decades isn't something I'd call 'not remotely accurate'.

In an ideal world, the similarities would be immediately obvious to the perpetrators, who should know better, yet here we are.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Only insofar as comparisons between Nazis and most things are prima facie not even remotely accurate. Yet everything is compared to Nazis because it's a basic anchor point. CF the shrill hysteria over Iran in Israel and the US.

That doesn't make it not stupid, though. One would hope that D&D would be above the level of teenagers crying that their dad is worse than Hitler because he only lets them play video games three hours a day.

quote:

Yet take for example, illustrations of routine humiliations of Jews shown in popular films about the Holocaust. Schindler's List - German guards finding it hilarious to match up odd combinations of people and force them to dance or The Pianist, the protagonist's father being beaten for not doffing a cap and then forced to walk in a gutter. The crimes get worse and worse from there but drawing a comparison between those racist humiliations and what Palestinians have faced at checkpoints for decades isn't something I'd call 'not remotely accurate'.

I'd certainly call it "not remotely accurate"! I haven't heard of anything even close to that level of abuse happening at checkpoints. If you've got instances of Israeli guards forcing random Palestinians to dance for their amusement at gunpoint, or beating them up solely for fun just to humiliate them, then feel free to post them. Otherwise, can we stick to complaining about things that actually happen? The oppression of Palestinians is bad enough already that we don't need to make poo poo up for the sake of hyperbole.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There's this thing from a few months back where a Palestinian youth told a soldier at a checkpoint "Have a nice day" where in return the soldier smashed him the face with the butt of his rifle while shouting at the Palestinian "Am I your buddy that you would wish me a nice day?!?", which yeah. Well.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You can see it right in front of you in this very thread in stupid derails about whether or not the comparison is apt, and people rightly taking offense to having policies of their country spuriously equivocated with the actions of people who aimed to annihilate them as a race. It makes it even less likely that any kind of sensible discussion be made.

Sensible discussion takes place between groups that already agree on at least one thing.

Rhetorically, the problem with saying "the policies of Isreal share many disturbing similarities with other colonialist apartheid states" as opposed to "Isreali leaders are a pack of loving Nazis currently engaged in what most authorities on the issue think of as genocide" is that most people can happily stomach a little colonialist apartheid, and besides which Isreal's defenders react with the same level of indignation to the weaker claim. There are neo-fascist groups and parties in every corner of the world and they're rightly referred to as jackbooted Nazis by their sincere critics. I don't see why the fact that Isreal's happen to actually be in power should disqualify them from that particular criticism.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Even avoiding the undeniable abuse of being subjected to military checkpoints because of your race, this is the first non-wikipedia link from googling "Palestinians abused at checkpoint"

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/four-israeli-border-policemen-convicted-of-abusing-young-palestinian-boy-at-checkpoint.premium-1.503581

Here's another article that popped up:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18597-2004Nov28.html

There's no humane or moral way for these checkpoints to exist. They have a specific purpose - to subjugate and subdue people because of their race and ethnicity.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui
I know this whole "Israel=Nazi?" question is kind of a shitstorm of a topic, but here goes my 2 cents anyway.

I think one point that's important to underline is the ways in which Israel and her political allies abroad have used the Holocaust not only to justify illegal, brutal and jingoistic actions like the invasion of Lebanon in 82 but also the moral legitimacy of the state itself(and by extension the Nakba). Look at the way for instance that Yad Vashem is built barely a mile away from the site of the Deir Yassin massacre and how the exhibit ends on a triumphant note with the establishment of Israel at the expense of roughly a million ethnically cleansed Palestinians. The message is clear: the Holocaust justifies what we did to the Palestinians. I think that if Israel uses the Holocaust in such a way, it's perfectly acceptable to politicize the Holocaust in order to point out how immoral and abject Israel's behavior has been. Whether doing so is a mistake in terms of tactic is of course a completely separate matter.

Secondly, what exactly are we talking about when we compare Israel to Nazi Germany? Has Israel done anything close in magnitude to the enormity of the Holocaust? No, of course not. But then again, neither had the Nazis of the early 30s. And I think there's a lot more of a sustained comparison to be made between the current rightward trend in Israel and the rightward trend in 1930s Germany. There's a continued, violent assault on the Israeli left and center. It's not just the persecution and repression of Arab politicians and political parties(which is nothing new), but it's now reaching even the once-prestigious liberal-Zionist sphere. Look at the campaign of violent intimidation against even centrist human rights organizations like the New Israel Fund or the way that hundreds of even Jewish intellectuals have had to flee Israel for Europe or America as a result of the reigning and constantly worsening anti-democratic and anti-intellectual fervor. The right wing has pledged to both purge the judiciary of disloyal(read: non-reactionary) elements and to block its ability to overturn laws on the grounds of human rights or democratic ideals. It's a country that has passed law after law targeting dissidents and minorities for persecution. This is a country where it's not uncommon to see gangs of skinheads marching down the streets shouting "Death to Arabs! Death to leftists!" as the police look on nonchalantly, where non-Jews are referred to as "infiltrators" or "demographic threats" by their own government, where Knesset ministers can, with impunity, work a crowd of neo-Nazis into a frenzy with a speech including the line "This is a white man's country" and then watch with a satisfied grin as the crowd of skinheads goes on to attack African-owned businesses and beat up any Africans they encounter. Even committed Zionists are starting to see the parallels between today's Israel and the growth of hatred, jingoism, paranoia and violence that characterized the run-up to the Nazis' seizing of power. And while Israel has not yet done anything nearly as bad in scope as the Holocaust, it's not an impossibility. What happens when Bennett or Lieberman or worse is PM and Israel is no longer satisfied with a low-grade campaign of oppression punctuated by the occasional 4-figure massacre and starts killing Palestinians by the tens or hundreds of thousands?

Edit:

Main Paineframe posted:

I haven't heard of anything even close to that level of abuse happening at checkpoints. If you've got instances of Israeli guards forcing random Palestinians to dance for their amusement at gunpoint, or beating them up solely for fun just to humiliate them, then feel free to post them. Otherwise, can we stick to complaining about things that actually happen? The oppression of Palestinians is bad enough already that we don't need to make poo poo up for the sake of hyperbole.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/nov/29/israel

Or just read some of Gideon Levy's dispatches from the OT.

FreshlyShaven fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 5, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Woozy posted:

Sensible discussion takes place between groups that already agree on at least one thing.

Rhetorically, the problem with saying "the policies of Isreal share many disturbing similarities with other colonialist apartheid states" as opposed to "Isreali leaders are a pack of loving Nazis currently engaged in what most authorities on the issue think of as genocide" is that most people can happily stomach a little colonialist apartheid, and besides which Isreal's defenders react with the same level of indignation to the weaker claim. There are neo-fascist groups and parties in every corner of the world and they're rightly referred to as jackbooted Nazis by their sincere critics. I don't see why the fact that Isreal's happen to actually be in power should disqualify them from that particular criticism.

So you're saying we should use irrelevant hyperbole because it packs a stronger punch? That's exactly the problem with cheapening this comparison, especially since people have been making the Israel=THE REAL NAZIS comparison for ages, it means that when you say it now, when it may be say a bit truer than 10 years ago, people who were not originally invested in anti-Israeli rhetoric will say "oh, you always say that." It's the boy who cried "wolf".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Woozy posted:

Rhizzone.net is not 'most authorities", neither is the Ayatollah regime in Iran.

I'd love to see something that demonstrates this worldwide support for the notion that Israel is actively engaged in genocide against the Palestinian people. heck, I'd love to see even one serious scholar who says anything to this effect.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Main Paineframe posted:

That doesn't make it not stupid, though. One would hope that D&D would be above the level of teenagers crying that their dad is worse than Hitler because he only lets them play video games three hours a day.

I'd certainly call it "not remotely accurate"! I haven't heard of anything even close to that level of abuse happening at checkpoints. If you've got instances of Israeli guards forcing random Palestinians to dance for their amusement at gunpoint, or beating them up solely for fun just to humiliate them, then feel free to post them. Otherwise, can we stick to complaining about things that actually happen? The oppression of Palestinians is bad enough already that we don't need to make poo poo up for the sake of hyperbole.

My friends who manned the checkpoints regularly came home and gloated about that sort of stuff, including stealing candy from a shop owner etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'd love to see something that demonstrates this worldwide support for the notion that Israel is actively engaged in genocide against the Palestinian people. heck, I'd love to see even one serious scholar who says anything to this effect.

Woah woah woah, hang on.There is plenty of reason to support the idea that they ARE engaging in genocide through siege and oppression. Its not an active genocide so much, but they are very much making it difficult to believe that they have the Palestinian survival in their interests, especially considering the comments of multiple high ranking Israeli politicians, religious leaders, and military members.

Ethnic cleansing? I don't know, either way the apartheid level of oppression they push combined with a slowly crawling settlement pogrom, its about as close to genocide as you can get without straight up starting to send around death squads.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Woah woah woah, hang on.There is plenty of reason to support the idea that they ARE engaging in genocide through siege and oppression. Its not an active genocide so much, but they are very much making it difficult to believe that they have the Palestinian survival in their interests, especially considering the comments of multiple high ranking Israeli politicians, religious leaders, and military members.

Ethnic cleansing? I don't know, either way the apartheid level of oppression they push combined with a slowly crawling settlement pogrom, its about as close to genocide as you can get without straight up starting to send around death squads.

Words have meaning, I know this sucks cause sometimes we want to use one word but it just doesn't procrastinate with the meaning we're trying to convey (see what I did there?), but that's life.

Did the US and the coalition commit genocide in Iraq and Afghanistan? Cause if you wanna talk about poo poo that is uncannily reminiscent of genocide, I'd look to the places with the tallest piles of bodies. Does Assad engage in genocide against his own people? Cause I rarely even see that accusation get thrown around.

In anyway, this is not a discussion I'm interested in having right now, I'm interested in seeing any sort of proof of the fact that "most authorities" on the subject of genocide are in consensus that Israel is actively engaged in genocide. I'm pretty sure that it's gonna be pretty hard to produce this sort of proof.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Words have meaning, I know this sucks cause sometimes we want to use one word but it just doesn't procrastinate with the meaning we're trying to convey (see what I did there?), but that's life.

Did the US and the coalition commit genocide in Iraq and Afghanistan? Cause if you wanna talk about poo poo that is uncannily reminiscent of genocide, I'd like to the places with the highest piles of bodies. Does Assad engage in genocide against his own people? Cause I rarely even see that accusation get thrown around.

In anyway, this is not a discussion I'm interested in having right now, I'm interested in seeing any sort of proof of the fact that "most authorities" on the subject of genocide are in consensus that Israel is actively engaged in genocide. I'm pretty sure that it's gonna be pretty hard to produce this sort of proof.

Assad is committing genocide: the guy literally has death camps surrounding the capital and we have satellite images of mass graves.

We most certainly committed war crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq, but it still pales in comparison to the nearly 60+ years of the Israelis have done in their own back yard.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You could compare it to the subjugation, erosion of rights and ongoing genocide of the Rohingya people in Myanmar, but that isn't a topic commonly found in discourse. (Which I think is absolutely horrific considering their situation but this isn't the thread for that).

Also Genocide does not just mean Killing All The People.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Assad is committing genocide: the guy literally has death camps surrounding the capital and we have satellite images of mass graves.

We most certainly committed war crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq, but it still pales in comparison to the nearly 60+ years of the Israelis have done in their own back yard.

Yet you've erected far more massive shrines to the skull god than Israel ever did. And while I think that Assad is a genocider I don't see this rhetoric appear almost anywhere.

Yet I do see people accuse ISIS of genocide even though their death toll is much lower. Perhaps this has something to do with ISIS genuinely attempting to rape and kill an entire ethnic/cultural group while all of the previously mentioned actors don't seemingly have such an intention.

What Israel is doing is horrible and has to end because it will eventually escalate into either a full regional war or indeed into actual genocide, when that happens we'll all know cause there will be hundreds of thousands of dead people.

Anyway, again, let's refrain from having a discussion based on something quite as meaningless as my opinion. An extraordinary claim was made, the burden of proof is not on me.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yet you've erected far more massive shrines to the skull god than Israel ever did. And while I think that Assad is a genocider I don't see this rhetoric appear almost anywhere.

Yet I do see people accuse ISIS of genocide even though their death toll is much lower. Perhaps this has something to do with ISIS genuinely attempting to rape and kill an entire ethnic/cultural group while all of the previously mentioned actors don't seemingly have such an intention.

What Israel is doing is horrible and has to end because it will eventually escalate into either a full regional war or indeed into actual genocide, when that happens we'll all know cause there will be hundreds of thousands of dead people.

Anyway, again, let's refrain from having a discussion based on something quite as meaningless as my opinion. An extraordinary claim was made, the burden of proof is not on me.

What is the specific definition of genocide that you are using?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

:psyduck: Because ISIS IS committing genocide. What the gently caress. They are specifically targeting cultures to wipe them out including mass graves, murdering entire villages, and disgusting rituals.

Holy loving christ. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to doubt that ISIS is currently enacting a campaign of genocide and ethnic cleansing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It would be useful to have some evidence of this wide academic consensus, if only to add it to the OP.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Woozy posted:

Remind me again what the danger is in "cheapening comparisons to Nazi Germany"? What does that even look like? Just answer clearly and explicitly what the absolute worst case scenario is that takes place when the comparison is permitted to stand.

When you argue a case with hysteric hyperbole you weaken the entire argument. Also anyone comparing Israel with Nazi Germany is revealed to be an instant moron but I suppose that is a worst case scenario just for that person.

Israel is an militaristic apartheid state engaging in colonialism. Not a genocidal totalitarian one-party dictatorship industrially murdering people. When you resort into Nazi Germany comparisons you basically argue that the actual poo poo happening on it's own isn't bad enough.

Try this, how about arguing about dumb Nazi poo poo, ask a person (assuming you are an American) if it would be OK that only Christians or white people were drafted in the military. Real world contrasts that show that there is something deeply wrong with Israel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

Israel is an militaristic apartheid state engaging in colonialism. Not a genocidal totalitarian one-party dictatorship industrially murdering people. When you resort into Nazi Germany comparisons you basically argue that the actual poo poo happening on it's own isn't bad enough.

:ssh: Colonialism tends to to often take genocidal methods, even if the methods are not so industrial in its methods.

Nearly every colonial movement resulted in genocide of one sort or another, directly or indirectly.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

FreshlyShaven posted:

I know this whole "Israel=Nazi?" question is kind of a shitstorm of a topic, but here goes my 2 cents anyway.

I think one point that's important to underline is the ways in which Israel and her political allies abroad have used the Holocaust not only to justify illegal, brutal and jingoistic actions like the invasion of Lebanon in 82 but also the moral legitimacy of the state itself(and by extension the Nakba). Look at the way for instance that Yad Vashem is built barely a mile away from the site of the Deir Yassin massacre and how the exhibit ends on a triumphant note with the establishment of Israel at the expense of roughly a million ethnically cleansed Palestinians. The message is clear: the Holocaust justifies what we did to the Palestinians. I think that if Israel uses the Holocaust in such a way, it's perfectly acceptable to politicize the Holocaust in order to point out how immoral and abject Israel's behavior has been. Whether doing so is a mistake in terms of tactic is of course a completely separate matter.

Secondly, what exactly are we talking about when we compare Israel to Nazi Germany? Has Israel done anything close in magnitude to the enormity of the Holocaust? No, of course not. But then again, neither had the Nazis of the early 30s. And I think there's a lot more of a sustained comparison to be made between the current rightward trend in Israel and the rightward trend in 1930s Germany. There's a continued, violent assault on the Israeli left and center. It's not just the persecution and repression of Arab politicians and political parties(which is nothing new), but it's now reaching even the once-prestigious liberal-Zionist sphere. Look at the campaign of violent intimidation against even centrist human rights organizations like the New Israel Fund or the way that hundreds of even Jewish intellectuals have had to flee Israel for Europe or America as a result of the reigning and constantly worsening anti-democratic and anti-intellectual fervor. The right wing has pledged to both purge the judiciary of disloyal(read: non-reactionary) elements and to block its ability to overturn laws on the grounds of human rights or democratic ideals. It's a country that has passed law after law targeting dissidents and minorities for persecution. This is a country where it's not uncommon to see gangs of skinheads marching down the streets shouting "Death to Arabs! Death to leftists!" as the police look on nonchalantly, where non-Jews are referred to as "infiltrators" or "demographic threats" by their own government, where Knesset ministers can, with impunity, work a crowd of neo-Nazis into a frenzy with a speech including the line "This is a white man's country" and then watch with a satisfied grin as the crowd of skinheads goes on to attack African-owned businesses and beat up any Africans they encounter. Even committed Zionists are starting to see the parallels between today's Israel and the growth of hatred, jingoism, paranoia and violence that characterized the run-up to the Nazis' seizing of power. And while Israel has not yet done anything nearly as bad in scope as the Holocaust, it's not an impossibility. What happens when Bennett or Lieberman or worse is PM and Israel is no longer satisfied with a low-grade campaign of oppression punctuated by the occasional 4-figure massacre and starts killing Palestinians by the tens or hundreds of thousands?

Edit:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/nov/29/israel

Or just read some of Gideon Levy's dispatches from the OT.

I think that this post sums it up pretty well. Including the shitstorm part.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

:psyduck: Because ISIS IS committing genocide. What the gently caress. They are specifically targeting cultures to wipe them out including mass graves, murdering entire villages, and disgusting rituals.

Holy loving christ. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to doubt that ISIS is currently enacting a campaign of genocide and ethnic cleansing.

You misunderstood my point.

My point was exactly that: it seems like accusations of genocide are for the most part only invoked when an attempt to eliminate an entire ethnic\cultural group takes place.

Perhaps with this clarification my post will make more sense and less psyducks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You misunderstood my point.

My point was exactly that: it seems like accusations of genocide are for the most part only invoked when an attempt to eliminate an entire ethnic\cultural group takes place.

Perhaps with this clarification my post will make more sense and less psyducks.

I'm gonna ahead and say that the Palestinians count as a cultural group, especially considering the levels that the Israeli government has gone to push Arabs out of Israeli cities.

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: Colonialism tends to to often take genocidal methods, even if the methods are not so industrial in its methods.

Nearly every colonial movement resulted in genocide of one sort or another, directly or indirectly.

Again, it might not be considered genocide now (the Trail of Tears wasn't considered genocide in its day) but its got all the hallmarks.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Ahead of his Monday meeting with Obama, their first in more than a year, Bibi appoints a right-wing idiot who called Obama an anti-Semite as his chief of public diplomacy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

captainblastum posted:

Even avoiding the undeniable abuse of being subjected to military checkpoints because of your race, this is the first non-wikipedia link from googling "Palestinians abused at checkpoint"

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/four-israeli-border-policemen-convicted-of-abusing-young-palestinian-boy-at-checkpoint.premium-1.503581

Here's another article that popped up:

There's no humane or moral way for these checkpoints to exist. They have a specific purpose - to subjugate and subdue people because of their race and ethnicity.

Thank you. I'll freely admit to not knowing everything about I/P, since it's an enormous conflict with so many aspects, so it's always nice when someone sources their information. And drat, I knew about general jerkness of checkpoint guards, the time cost to Palestinians of passing through them, and the risks of being denied, but I didn't think the guards had the time or freedom to pull poo poo like that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

captainblastum posted:

What is the specific definition of genocide that you are using?

I am not going into the legalese, the definition for the crime of genocide is broad enough for it to be applicable in pretty much half of the world's conflicts. I was questioning why certain acts of mass murder constitute genocide while others generally don't in an attempt to demonstrate that "being a really lovely oppressive regime that uses disproportionate violence to quell resistance among a subjugated ethnic group" makes for an extremely broad and generally unconventional definition for genocide.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm gonna ahead and say that the Palestinians count as a cultural group, especially considering the levels that the Israeli government has gone to push Arabs out of Israeli cities.

Again, it might not be considered genocide now (the Trail of Tears wasn't considered genocide in its day) but its got all the hallmarks.

Alright, so, by your estimates, at the current rate of genocide, when do you expect Israel to be done with the palestinians and wipe them from the face of the earth (or at least from greater Israel).

I think you're intentionally misconstruing my posts because I'm arguing a pro-Israeli talking point, but if that's the case than this discussion has no basis cause you are not really making an effort to respond to what I say.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Alright, so, by your estimates, at the current rate of genocide, when do you expect Israel to be done with the palestinians and wipe them from the face of the earth (or at least from greater Israel).

I think you're intentionally misconstruing my posts because I'm arguing a pro-Israeli talking point, but if that's the case than this discussion has no basis cause you are not really making an effort to respond to what I say.

Again, please help me understand why the Israeli Colonialism and Settlement system is any less genocidal than any other Colonial system, of which nearly every one was considered genocidal, regardless of the expediency of their methods.

Why is what the Israelis do to the Palestinians through Settlement building any different from the Indian Removal Act, which is widely considered to be genocidal?

I am not misconstruing your posts. I'm questioning why the only acceptable definition of 'genocide' is one involving full on death camps rather than slow and methodical oppression and theft of land, which is also widely considered genocide.

Wait, wait, they don't have gas chambers and death squads, can't be genocide yet.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So you're saying we should use irrelevant hyperbole because it packs a stronger punch? That's exactly the problem with cheapening this comparison, especially since people have been making the Israel=THE REAL NAZIS comparison for ages, it means that when you say it now, when it may be say a bit truer than 10 years ago, people who were not originally invested in anti-Israeli rhetoric will say "oh, you always say that." It's the boy who cried "wolf".

Well, I mean for one thing people who are trained in debate and study rhetoric and persuasion as a discipline would see this as a bit backwards. The rule is typically that you lead with your strongest card. Surely one can see, for example, how a long history of various officials bodies refusing to name the Gaza occupation a "genocide" has damaged the credibility of the claim today.

But what I'm saying is that in order to take seriously the notion that this or that equivocation can be "cheapened" through overuse, we have to accept basically a whole host of really weird facts about how language actually works. I mean, is the reverse claim a possibility? Is there some risk of raising to an intolerable level the bar for what actually qualifies as being "an awful lot like what Nazis did" by abstaining from current equivocation? This actually seems like a stronger claim. People already wrongly believe that Nazism is all Death's Heads and black trenchcoats, after all. Does anyone actually weigh the validity of such claims based on how they've historically been deployed? I kind of doubt it. Is there a risk that some future neo-fascist organization will successfully rise to power because the necessary language for debating them was all used up? It seems absurd, right?

This just reminds me of the way people are warned against labeling various sorts of lesser, pettier discrimination "full-blown racism". Like, oh, be careful! Don't go calling just anything racism! When the real racism comes around no one will believe you!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
What about efforts to shut down discussion of Israel's actions wrt genocide by claiming that Palestinians aren't a distinct ethnic group?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Woozy posted:

Well, I mean for one thing people who are trained in debate and study rhetoric and persuasion as a discipline would see this as a bit backwards. The rule is typically that you lead with your strongest card. Surely one can see, for example, how a long history of various officials bodies refusing to name the Gaza occupation a "genocide" has damaged the credibility of the claim today.

So you're agreeing with me, then?

quote:

But what I'm saying is that in order to take seriously the notion that this or that equivocation can be "cheapened" through overuse, we have to accept basically a whole host of really weird facts about how language actually works. I mean, is the reverse claim a possibility? Is there some risk of raising to an intolerable level the bar for what actually qualifies as being "an awful lot like what Nazis did" by abstaining from current equivocation? This actually seems like a stronger claim. People already wrongly believe that Nazism is all Death's Heads and black trenchcoats, after all. Does anyone actually weigh the validity of such claims based on how they've historically been deployed? I kind of doubt it. Is there a risk that some future neo-fascist organization will successfully rise to power because the necessary language for debating them was all used up? It seems absurd, right?

I've actually seen this happen in Israel with people talking about fascist government for so long that the general populace ignores literal fascist movements popping up.

quote:

This just reminds me of the way people are warned against labeling various sorts of lesser, pettier discrimination "full-blown racism". Like, oh, be careful! Don't go calling just anything racism! When the real racism comes around no one will believe you!

Well, you seem to be living under the misapprehension that all of the things I am talking about are hypothetical, when they have in fact happened: so much so that Godwin's law was actually originally invented in the 1990's on USENET.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Bibi really doesn't understand alienating half the USA is against Israels interests does he?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Bibi really doesn't understand alienating half the USA is against Israels interests does he?

Isn't he the one that basically said that the US is just a 'benefit' that they don't need because he sees Israel as another superpower that can stand without help?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Crowsbeak posted:

No, he understands that no matter what he or anyone in Israel says or does the US will back them 100%, regardless of what their leader says.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't he the one that basically said that the US is just a 'benefit' that they don't need because he sees Israel as another superpower that can stand without help?

It's possible that he actually thinks that, but my guess is that it's just bullshit red meat that he throws to his base.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

What Israel is doing does not compare in any way shape or form to the word "genocide" as it is understood by 99% of the world population, making it another needless term that just causes more dumb semantics and distracts from the evil things Israel has no way of dodging - apartheid and colonialism. The settlers are there, the racist laws are in the books.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Again, please help me understand why the Israeli Colonialism and Settlement system is any less genocidal than any other Colonial system, of which nearly every one was considered genocidal, regardless of the expediency of their methods.

Why is what the Israelis do to the Palestinians through Settlement building any different from the Indian Removal Act, which is widely considered to be genocidal?

I am not misconstruing your posts. I'm questioning why the only acceptable definition of 'genocide' is one involving full on death camps rather than slow and methodical oppression and theft of land, which is also widely considered genocide.

Wait, wait, they don't have gas chambers and death squads, can't be genocide yet.

Colonial regimes were rarely genocidal. Brutal, cruel, and exploitative, yes, but genocide was typically the exception, not the rule. As for the Indian Removal Act, that rather straddles the line; the law itself would be ethnic cleansing, but the implementation certainly qualifies as genocidal. Yes, there is a difference between ethnic cleansing and genocide, and yes, it is a significant distinction. Oppression and theft of land, by itself, is ethnic cleansing, not genocide, although it can very easily cross the line into genocide depending on the implementation

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Colonial regimes were rarely genocidal. Brutal, cruel, and exploitative, yes, but genocide was typically the exception, not the rule. As for the Indian Removal Act, that rather straddles the line; the law itself would be ethnic cleansing, but the implementation certainly qualifies as genocidal. Yes, there is a difference between ethnic cleansing and genocide, and yes, it is a significant distinction. Oppression and theft of land, by itself, is ethnic cleansing, not genocide, although it can very easily cross the line into genocide depending on the implementation

Fair enough, and to be fair, this is the definition showing the distinction from the International Criminal Court:

quote:

In reviewing the International Court of Justice (ICJ) Bosnian Genocide Case in the judgement of Jorgic v. Germany on July 12, 2007 the European Court of Human Rights quoted from the ICJ ruling on the Bosnian Genocide Case to draw a distinction between ethnic cleansing and genocide.

The term 'ethnic cleansing' has frequently been employed to refer to the events in Bosnia and Herzegovina which are the subject of this case ... General Assembly resolution 47/121 referred in its Preamble to 'the abhorrent policy of 'ethnic cleansing', which is a form of genocide', as being carried on in Bosnia and Herzegovina. ... It [i.e. ethnic cleansing] can only be a form of genocide within the meaning of the [Genocide] Convention, if it corresponds to or falls within one of the categories of acts prohibited by Article II of the Convention. Neither the intent, as a matter of policy, to render an area "ethnically homogeneous", nor the operations that may be carried out to implement such policy, can as such be designated as genocide: the intent that characterizes genocide is "to destroy, in whole or in part" a particular group, and deportation or displacement of the members of a group, even if effected by force, is not necessarily equivalent to destruction of that group, nor is such destruction an automatic consequence of the displacement. This is not to say that acts described as 'ethnic cleansing' may never constitute genocide, if they are such as to be characterized as, for example, 'deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part', contrary to Article II, paragraph (c), of the Convention, provided such action is carried out with the necessary specific intent (dolus specialis), that is to say with a view to the destruction of the group, as distinct from its removal from the region. As the ICTY has observed, while 'there are obvious similarities between a genocidal policy and the policy commonly known as 'ethnic cleansing' ' (Krstić, IT-98-33-T, Trial Chamber Judgment, August 2, 2001, para. 562), yet '[a] clear distinction must be drawn between physical destruction and mere dissolution of a group. The expulsion of a group or part of a group does not in itself suffice for genocide.

By that definition, what the Israeli's do does straddle the lines of genocide, since its arguable their methods via siege and displacement cut close to the intentional destruction of a group of people.

DarkCrawler posted:

What Israel is doing does not compare in any way shape or form to the word "genocide" as it is understood by 99% of the world population, making it another needless term that just causes more dumb semantics and distracts from the evil things Israel has no way of dodging - apartheid and colonialism. The settlers are there, the racist laws are in the books.

Would you say that Israel conducts ethnic cleansing?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 5, 2015

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So you're agreeing with me, then?

I don't think so?

quote:

I've actually seen this happen in Israel with people talking about fascist government for so long that the general populace ignores literal fascist movements popping up.

Okay but is that what's actually happening? Someone "cried wolf"? You can't possibly believe that "literal fascist" movements are the result of... what, even? Name calling? The general populace of Israel have plenty of good reasons to look the other way or indeed gleefully indulge reactionary politics, not least of which is the fact that they have been enormously profitable for the general populace of Isreal. What a strange coincidence that such politics have been carefully insulated from the obvious criticisms--those which have occurred naturally to so many people that, as you point out, there's a whole law on the internet dedicated to it.

I mean, you're the expert here. Tell me, how does the average Isreali react to the claim that Isreal is "merely" a settlerist apartheid state with a few "disturbing parallels" to other monstrous regimes like South Africa that still enjoy a certain of sympathy amount the world's reactionaries? Is this really a more tolerable argument to anyone who might actually be persuaded? Is it actually less agreeable now that the N-word is on the table? It seems more likely to me that any criticism of Isreal that is not sufficiently weak as to be justifiable by historical mistreatment of Jews and their modern "security" needs all falls into the same unhearable category of "hysterical hyperbole".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

I don't know what to tell you dude but you are just making a series of logical fallacies and inventing an academic consensus on certain subjects where such a consensus doesn't exist.

Colonialism is not the same as genocide, this is the first fallacy, you are conflating concurrency with equivalency. It is undeniable that colonialism is often the precursor to genocide and that colonial regimes are among the chief enablers of genocide in history, but this does not mean that these two crimes are one and the same, which means that asking me to explain why Israeli colonialism is itself unique in that it's not genocidal while all other colonial regimes were is well, bullshit that has no bearing on reality. If you're seriously going to argue that the crime of colonialism is one and the same as the crime of genocide you're already trying to paint the world in much broader strokes than most people are willing to so I'm not gonna bother arguing with you about your definition, I'm just gonna point out that it is not one that enjoys any sort of wide consensus.

So, your second fallacy is conflating the crime of genocide, which is more of a framework under which a collection of crimes against a specific group are committed in an attempt to exterminate said group (in whole or in part), with all of those crimes that may occur in the course of a genocide the totality thereof comprise of the genocide itself. So for instance, while ethnic cleansing may occur during a genocide, this does not mean that ethnic cleansing may only occur during a genocide or that ethnic cleansing in itself constitutes a genocide, so while the trail of tears is a part of a campaign of genocide, the ethnic cleansing of ethnic-germans from east europe following WWII is not generally understood to be an act of genocide In fact, your definition of genocide is so off that you're missing out that the 'intent to destroy, in whole or in part' thing is a part of the formal definition of the crime of Genocide. and, once again, you are fabricating a consensus where one doesn't exist.

So no, this isn't a "they don't have an auschwitz so it ain't genocide" argument, that's just a strawman people often come up with in these discussions to cover their asses after the "genocide apologists" they argue against point out that words do in fact have meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I'm not sure what the intent could be in regards to the people of Gaza other than to destroy them.

• Locked thread