Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Chyea posted:

I'm actually interested in your opinions on why raid teams are struggling. If it's not a general miasma of raider competence, or lack-thereof, what is it?

Put in another way, if you think the players in your group are "good" what is the reason a collection of "good" players are having trouble with content?

There is nothing it is possible to think of anywhere in the world, or indeed anything at all outside it, that can be held to be good without limitation, excepting only a good will. Understanding, wit, the power of judgment, and like talents of the mind, whatever they might be called, or courage, resoluteness, persistence in an intention, as qualities of temperament, are without doubt in some respects good and to be wished for.

Some qualities are even conducive to this good will itself and can make its work much easier, but still have despite this no inner unconditioned worth, yet always presuppose a good will, which limits the esteem that one otherwise rightly has for them, and does not permit them to be held absolutely good.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

:stare: whoa

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

The good is good not through what it effects or accomplishes, not through its efficacy for attaining any intended end, but only through its willing, i.e., good in itself, and considered for itself, without comparison, it is to be estimated far higher than anything that could be brought about by it in favor of any inclination, or indeed, if you prefer, of the sum of all inclinations. Even if through the peculiar disfavor of fate, or through the meager endowment of a stepmotherly nature, this will were entirely lacking in the resources to carry out its aim, if with its greatest effort nothing of it were accomplished, and only the good will were left over (to be sure, not a mere wish, but as the summoning up of all the means insofar as they are in our control): then it would shine like a jewel for itself, as something that has its full worth in itself. Utility or fruitlessness can neither add to nor subtract anything from this worth.

There is, however, something so strange in this idea of the absolute worth of the mere will, without making any allowance for utility in its estimation, that despite all the agreement with it even of common reason, there must nevertheless arise a suspicion that perhaps it is covertly grounded merely on a high-flown fantasy, and that nature might have been falsely understood in the aim it had in assigning reason to govern our will.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ntan1 posted:

The good is good not through what it effects or accomplishes, not through its efficacy for attaining any intended end, but only through its willing, i.e., good in itself, and considered for itself, without comparison, it is to be estimated far higher than anything that could be brought about by it in favor of any inclination, or indeed, if you prefer, of the sum of all inclinations. Even if through the peculiar disfavor of fate, or through the meager endowment of a stepmotherly nature, this will were entirely lacking in the resources to carry out its aim, if with its greatest effort nothing of it were accomplished, and only the good will were left over (to be sure, not a mere wish, but as the summoning up of all the means insofar as they are in our control): then it would shine like a jewel for itself, as something that has its full worth in itself. Utility or fruitlessness can neither add to nor subtract anything from this worth.

There is, however, something so strange in this idea of the absolute worth of the mere will, without making any allowance for utility in its estimation, that despite all the agreement with it even of common reason, there must nevertheless arise a suspicion that perhaps it is covertly grounded merely on a high-flown fantasy, and that nature might have been falsely understood in the aim it had in assigning reason to govern our will.

This is basically how I've parsed the last few pages of discussion

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Badingading posted:

Y'all need to chill and post more pictures of your catgirls/dragongirls/potatoes/roegadames.

Okay.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

ntan1 posted:

There is nothing it is possible to think of anywhere in the world, or indeed anything at all outside it, that can be held to be good without limitation, excepting only a good will. Understanding, wit, the power of judgment, and like talents of the mind, whatever they might be called, or courage, resoluteness, persistence in an intention, as qualities of temperament, are without doubt in some respects good and to be wished for.

Some qualities are even conducive to this good will itself and can make its work much easier, but still have despite this no inner unconditioned worth, yet always presuppose a good will, which limits the esteem that one otherwise rightly has for them, and does not permit them to be held absolutely good.

I kant quite follow all this deep philosophical stuff.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Zack Ater posted:

I kant quite follow all this deep philosophical stuff.

What has been said in general be called skill. Whether the end is rational and good is not the question here, but only what one has to do in order to achieve them. Because in early youth one does not know what ends he will run up against in life, parents seek chiefly to have their children learn many things, and they concern themselves about skill in the use of means toward all kinds of discretionary ends, about none of which they can determine whether it will perhaps actually become an aim of his pupil in the future, but about any of which, however, it is possible that he might someday have it, and this concern is so great that they commonly neglect to educate and correct their judgment over the worth of the things that they may perhaps make their ends.

There is one end, however, that one can presuppose as actual for all rational beings (insofar as imperatives apply to them, namely as dependent beings) and thus one aim that they not merely can have, but of which one can safely presuppose that without exception they do have it in accordance with a natural necessity, and that is the aim at happiness.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
So I just came back to the game this last week after a 6 month break, while being bit late to the party with the expansion I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, even if all the HW zones seems extremely dead(vanilla zones seem way more lively).

Decided leveling as DPS first to 60 since I figured main story plus first time dungeon runs would be more then enough exp to get to 60 cap(wow was I wrong). At least dungeon ques have been fast, but having to resort to 1-49 dungeon roulette just to see the new content feels a bit meh.
Seems to me they made HW a boatload more grindy then 2.0 was(after 2.1 patch at least) and I feel I'm scraping for any exp, with rested bonus 24/7. Did they totally forgot about stuff like Hunting log, and why does exp from FATEs seem to be so very low now? Its like literally 100 FATEs for one level.

Just hit level 57 today so at least the end is in sight(I hope!), and now I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to gear up decently at lv60.
Preferebly without any heavy raiding since I'm stuck playing somewhat casually with this next months schedule, which I understand will probably leave me outside the grasp of any best in slot stuff, but I'm fine with that.

Upcoming patch looks great and I'd love to get into the new 24man kinda early, as well as any other new content that requires decent geared chars.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

As MCH should I just be resigned to not having Reload for every other Wildfire cycle, or should I be holding on to it for those 30 seconds that they're out of sync? Or should I be doing something else to ameliorate the situation?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

50-60 is supposed to take about as long as 1-50 did. It just feels grindier because you're gaining less levels.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Ciaphas posted:

As MCH should I just be resigned to not having Reload for every other Wildfire cycle, or should I be holding on to it for those 30 seconds that they're out of sync? Or should I be doing something else to ameliorate the situation?

I tend to save Wildfire for when Reload is up. I might be wrong though.

Line Feed fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 8, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
The other issue chyea is that having only 4 bosses exacerbates the issue. Wow makes just as hard fights as savage 3 and 4 excpet they are at the end of the instance. Not 2 bosses in. So it's more demoralizing and the difficulty curve is worse when you go from a2 to a3 and 4.

I think if we had another boss or two and the difficulty was scaled up better then you'd see less people quitting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Line Feed posted:

I tend to save Wildfire for when Reload is up, but I wouldn't hold on to Reload. Use your Reload.

Do you save all your other DPS cooldowns too, then? Raging Strikes still lines up but that's 30 seconds of dead time on the other two.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Raging strikes for me tends to line up every 2 Wildfire's, with Hawk's Eye being up for every one.

I save Rapid Fire and Reload for it, since at high levels you've got lots of oGCD attacks to fill gaps and it's fairly simple to run in and out for Blank shots in most content.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Got sick of male human, fantasia'd to a catgirl

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Do you save all your other DPS cooldowns too, then? Raging Strikes still lines up but that's 30 seconds of dead time on the other two.

Generally it's not a good idea to delay one cooldown to line up with another, unless the gap is small enough like with Blood for Blood, or if you're saving them for a burn phase.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Generally it's not a good idea to delay one cooldown to line up with another, unless the gap is small enough like with Blood for Blood, or if you're saving them for a burn phase.

Well that's the thing with Wildfire. Every time it's up, it's a burn phase.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I meant like a designated burn phase for the fight, like Hand of Pain.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, the only reason I asked is because Wildfire phases without Reload feel aaawwwwwfulllll :(

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
If I have a pc account, do I still have to buy the game+heavensward again to play on my ps4?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

wereboat posted:

If I have a pc account, do I still have to buy the game+heavensward again to play on my ps4?

Yes.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The Chairman posted:

This thread just needs to make it through the weekend and then it'll be smooth sailing for another couple months

ntan1 posted:

ICEBERG DEAD AHEAD, CAPTAIN

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

ntan1 posted:

gay,

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Choyi posted:

Did they totally forgot about stuff like Hunting log...

Hunting logs were replaced by the daily clan hunts. If you haven't unlocked it, it's a lv53 quest in the Forgotten Knights. You unlock level 2 marks at lv56 and level 3 at lv59.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Anderron Shi posted:

You've made the right choice.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Choyi posted:

3.0 leveling

My leveling experience was this:
- Do all main story quests (duh)
- Do all sidequests, admittedly blowing many of them off until after I finished the zone and could fly
- In the process of the above, run each new dungeon and trial once each
- Do all daily clan mark hunts that were available to me at the time (you unlock batch 1 at 53, batch 2 at 56, and batch 3 at 59)
- Run leveling and trial roulette once a day

I hit 60 with pretty much all the Azys Lla sidequests to spare, in I think 3 days of obsessive poopsocking (the emphasis here is that I didn't need like 2 weeks of daily roulette bonus to pad it out). If I hadn't done any roulettes, or if I'd been slacking on clan mark hunts, then yeah, I might've been a bit behind and would've needed to supplement that with some fates or dungeons or something.

One thing heavily worth the reminder though, is our good friend the armory bonus. This applies to kill experience (dungeons, fates), and fate experience, but not to quest experience. The first thing you level will be your highest level job and therefore won't benefit, which makes sidequests (even, yes, the godforsaken neverending moogle sidequests) a relatively attractive source of experience and dungeon/fate grinding a relatively unattractive source of experience, compared to anything you level afterward.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
It's relatively common advice to save your sidequests for another job. That's the least efficient way to do things however since the armory bonus is a thing that exists.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, sidequest saving really mostly applies to "oh, you hit level 15 and got to visit the other two cities and noticed a bunch of lovely low level sidequests in town and in their lowbie areas? Yeah, just ignore those until the next time you level a new job".

Everything else, you might as well do on the first job you level. Or if you're not a fan of sidequests, don't do them at all. (Just don't come whining in that latter case if you miss an unlock, don't know the joy of oiling Godbert, or can't find new important sidequests that unlock new content in the sea of leveling sidequests on your map that you'd been ignoring.)

Griz
May 21, 2001

"catgirl"

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Chyea posted:

"Oh, we wiped to Digititus again, great mechanic SE, pulling in 10. <se.6>" I'm willing to bet that most groups struggling with A3S will chalk something up to RNG or server ticks or whatever rather than something like player movement and that wastes far more hours than learning to play X class on Y fight.

I'mma stop you right here and say gently caress you.

We have video footage and gif images of party members dancing through each other trying to swap digibetus and not end up swapping the debuff.

There's some attempts that are just bullshit.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Badingading posted:

Y'all need to chill and post more pictures of your catgirls/dragongirls/potatoes/roegadames.

in it, voted 5

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Anderron Shi posted:

Another poor victim of the cancer

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Willias posted:

I'mma stop you right here and say gently caress you.

We have video footage and gif images of party members dancing through each other trying to swap digibetus and not end up swapping the debuff.

There's some attempts that are just bullshit.

There's your problem. It's infinitely easier to swap debuffs on a stationary target than it is to swap with two players running through each other.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

MohShuvuu posted:

There's your problem. It's infinitely easier to swap debuffs on a stationary target than it is to swap with two players running through each other.

Because of bad netcode, yes.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Talk of raiding and netcode, the summoning process is almost complete. Woe to the FF thread.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MohShuvuu posted:

On one run last night, the tank and I both ran to the right waypoint and parked for a second to transfer the debuff, we both saw the floating text saying the debuff had transferred... but the debuff itself didn't actually move off of the tank. It was weird as poo poo.

On the bright side, other than weird stuff like that and the occasional bad RNG, we're pretty solid up to Hand of Pain now.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MohShuvuu posted:

Sometime that doesn't even work. I've certainly had many a time where you get on top of another person, even with seconds left, aaaaand it just doesn't pass. We've even have had wandering digititus where it just passes to someone you aren't even close to.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Robo Reagan posted:

Another poor victim of the cancer

No catshaming please.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
You know what Cloud's outfit was missing? Pink.

I stand by this decision.

• Locked thread