Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

So now that the expansion's been out for a while and we have what seems to be most of the items available, what's everyone's favourite new items?
Personally I really like Athame, Maw of the Void and Crown of Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Woops double post.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It'd be cool if Speed just made you super-fast too. Everyone goes fast!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Geight posted:

It'd be cool if Speed just made you super-fast too. Everyone goes fast!

It probably wouldn't be too bad if it didn't stick you with just base Isaac. He has nothing, and can't really deal with some of the fast mobs. Gemini, Steven, and Blighted Ovum are pretty much run enders.

Tractor Beam is my personal favorite. The accuracy boost that item provides is just amazing. Granted, it actually makes the first phase of the Haunt a lot harder.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Einwand posted:

So now that the expansion's been out for a while and we have what seems to be most of the items available, what's everyone's favourite new items?

I like the coin and nail tear items. the spider that lets you see enemy health bars/damage numbers is really nifty and should probably just be something you always have by default

the synergies are by and large cooler than the items themselves tho

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Jibo posted:

Has anyone done the math to figure out what the probable range of Ultra Greed kills it would take to fill the coin machine is assuming you are using each character for Greed Mode?

56 assuming no azazel

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Waffle! posted:

What are the attack stages for Hush? (Are we still spoiling this?)

I got Shielded Tears from Boss Rush, and the only decent items in the blue womb are Lil' Chub, and Monster Manual that gives Dry Baby. I have the option of taking Soy Milk but fuuuuuuck that. Furthest I've gotten with him were some blue energy beams that chased me down.

Hmm, maybe that wouldn't be so bad. The main problem with soy milk is that most of your tears miss because the sheer number of tears knocking the enemies back makes their movement unpredictable. Hush is giant and rooted to the ground, so you could guarantee that every shot hits. I wish I had thought of this when I saw soy milk in hte blue womb earlier, I might have checked it out.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Einwand posted:

Maw of the Void is really really good. I wish it worked with the blindfold, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Another buff that Soy Milk got is that in Rebirth, picking it up capped your tears stat. It doesn't do that anymore in Afterbirth (or the cap just got a massive increase), so if you already have a high rate of fire, Soy Milk will increase that by an absurd amount.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's pretty cool, especially for libra. at least now you aren't getting hosed by even encountering soy milk since it isn't a special item anymore

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sampson + Lusty Blood + Boss Rush = hilarity. Every wave I was literally more powerful than the one before, and if I got a boss that spawned additional enemies or got hit myself it just sped up even mroe.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Any tips for tackling the Suicide King challenge? 11 attempts in and I still can't get a good gauge on whether a bomb will hit an enemy/obstacle or just sail past and nail me in the face. God help me if I get a small room full of spiders.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

Another buff that Soy Milk got is that in Rebirth, picking it up capped your tears stat. It doesn't do that anymore in Afterbirth (or the cap just got a massive increase), so if you already have a high rate of fire, Soy Milk will increase that by an absurd amount.

I think they might have uncapped it on its own, letting you get the intended 30 shots per second out of it instead of 15. Still annoying without something like mutant spider or polyphemus backing it up but usable.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ChickenHeart posted:

Any tips for tackling the Suicide King challenge? 11 attempts in and I still can't get a good gauge on whether a bomb will hit an enemy/obstacle or just sail past and nail me in the face. God help me if I get a small room full of spiders.

The actual projectile is the shadow of the tear and it flies completely straight so just use that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ChickenHeart posted:

It is impossible for your projectile to go over an enemy. Even if it is completely over their head, it will still explode for full damage. Run at your enemies before you fire to get the thing going at full speed and ensure that they don;t duck out of the way in time. Watch the shadow of the projectile to know where it actually is in relation to the enemies.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Actually, I got that wrong. What actually happened with Soy Milk was that it was bugged in Rebirth. Due to the way the tear cap and fire rate was handled, it was firing at half the rate it should have been. In Rebirth, Soy Milk fixed Isaac's fire rate at 15 tears per second. That got fixed in Afterbirth, so it fixes Isaac's fire rate to be 30 tears per second. I said before that Soy Milk doubled Isaac's DPS if all tears hit their mark. Yeah, uh I was referring to the unbugged version. :sweatdrop: At 15 tears per second, Soy Milk was always a damage decrease, even if all tears hit. That's why Soy Milk was always a terrible pickup unless you had Libra, because it wasn't working right. Now in Afterbirth, Soy Milk is no longer the run ruiner it used to be. Might not be an every run pickup (i.e. don't pick it up if you have Brimstone) but it's a nice buff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Soy milk's real usefulness comes from getting it early; if you get it from the beginning and go up from there, it can actually be pretty useful. But if you get it once you've got a bunch of damage ups or w/e in the middle of a run, it's not ever gonna be worth it unless your firerate is dogshit.

edit: Wow, does glass cannon really take away your soul/black hearts now too? What a lame nerf. That makes the risk way, way too high to be worth it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 8, 2015

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Jesus the Guardian challenge is so poorly designed. I finally got through it by having a poo poo ton of orbitals and basically destroying rooms in 2 seconds before the Punching Bag could do something stupid. Now I only have the other two poorly designed challenges to go (Onan's Streak and Speed!)

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

CJacobs posted:

Soy milk's real usefulness comes from getting it early; if you get it from the beginning and go up from there, it can actually be pretty useful. But if you get it once you've got a bunch of damage ups or w/e in the middle of a run, it's not ever gonna be worth it unless your firerate is dogshit.

edit: Wow, does glass cannon really take away your soul/black hearts now too? What a lame nerf. That makes the risk way, way too high to be worth it.

Wait seriously... I was wanting to get around to trying that item out because it actually seemed pretty fun.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Welp, just beat Speed! I got the 8-Inch Nails on the first item room, then Brimstone in the first Devil Deal, and then a Book of Revelations for survivability. There were some other damage ups in there, but suffice it to say I finished with half a heart and 1 minute left. And this only happened because my Womb 1 boss fight was only 3 rooms from the entrance and I happened to pick the right way accidentally.

While the challenge is bullshit, I have to say that Brimstone with knockback is hilarious.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

So I'm not entirely sure why, but Afterbirth seems to have conked out entirely. I tried redownloading it and all, but it just hangs at the "preparing to launch" window and doesn't actually do anything from there. I guess it was a fun few days!

The good news is that I got it working again. The bad news is that my pretty awesome Cain run was gone. Life is hard sometimes.

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 8, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wanna give a shoutout to my boy dry baby

I love you dry baby

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Einwand posted:

The fruitcake, glowing hourglass, pokeball and bumbo are my favourites. They might not be the most powerful items, but they are so much fun to use.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Einwand posted:

Of the ones I've gotten, I think the Car Battery, 8 Inch Nails, and Toxic Shock are my favorite. I've only gotten to use about half of the new items so far, though.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Diplopia is really cool, though sometimes depressing if you get through the whole run without ever having pedestal items that are worth duplicating. I also really like Dead Eye, it creates a fun and slightly different way to try and play the game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

SuicideSnowman posted:

Jesus the Guardian challenge is so poorly designed. I finally got through it by having a poo poo ton of orbitals and basically destroying rooms in 2 seconds before the Punching Bag could do something stupid. Now I only have the other two poorly designed challenges to go (Onan's Streak and Speed!)

i really liked onan's streak, and imo its one of the better challenges of both rebirth and afterbirth

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Waffle! posted:

What are the attack stages for Hush? (Are we still spoiling this?)

I got Shielded Tears from Boss Rush, and the only decent items in the blue womb are Lil' Chub, and Monster Manual that gives Dry Baby. I have the option of taking Soy Milk but fuuuuuuck that. Furthest I've gotten with him were some blue energy beams that chased me down.

iirc it does regular shooty stuff with some "arrow" clumps of shots, then does cirlces, goes underground a bit and comes back for another spam with circles of bullets rotating counter and clockwise, then spams some flies, repeats some bullet patterns, and at about the halfway mark, does his only really scary attack, the one where the bullets fly from one of the walls. after that he spams a lot of mini hushes, some prolapsed rectums that shoot 3 way bullets, and right at the end he does the beams that leave behind slippery terrain. at one point he also does that sequence where his shots split into 4, which split further more into 4 but its somewhere in the middle

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
NO! Never again! is instantly my favorite trinket. Went into a library and got holy tears and virgo. I only drop it before devil/curse rooms if I'm going for guppy.

Alkydere posted:

Sampson + Lusty Blood + Boss Rush = hilarity. Every wave I was literally more powerful than the one before, and if I got a boss that spawned additional enemies or got hit myself it just sped up even mroe.
I just had an eden with the same, got lusty blood in the bosh rush room. I only had 3 damage bars before the bloody lust / lusty blood boosts but was immediately killing bosses as fast as they could spawn.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

LorrdErnie posted:

Wait seriously... I was wanting to get around to trying that item out because it actually seemed pretty fun.

Yeah it's never really worth using now, unless you're playing lost I guess. I'm glad I had a couple of good runs with it before they killed it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is a win streak of -142 bad? I feel like I'm not winning enough.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Nighthand posted:

Speed is such an obnoxious challenge. I can't get to Womb 2 before the time limit no matter what I do, and the health drain kills me before I can find the boss room. I even loving skipped two full floors with Undefined on a run and couldn't get there fast enough.

I feel like you either need a super carry item or combo (really lucky guppy, brim, etc) or several damage ups + mapping. Mapping is super important for speed but every freaking run I've done, if I get mapping (the mind, crystal ball, etc) I don't get poo poo for damage.

Speed is the only new challenge that took me several tries. It's utter horse poo poo.

And the timer can actually kill you after you've picked up the trophy. :shepface:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I feel like the new balance patches are punishing people who are not as good at the game because the people that are good appear to be steamrolling things. Which, of course they would be, they're good at the game. A lot of this stuff feels unfair to people who would rather sit down and bang out an azazel run or use glass cannon since they know those are characters and items they can have fun with.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

kemikalkadet posted:

Yeah it's never really worth using now, unless you're playing lost I guess. I'm glad I had a couple of good runs with it before they killed it.

Edmund's actual statement in response to people saying that Glass Cannon is poo poo now is as follows:

Edmund McMillen posted:

gently caress off this item is loving bonkers, if you pick this up and cant figure out ways to play around it or abuse its power you are doing it wrong. this item in its current state is one of my faves.

On the plus side, the tumor transformation removing your normal tears is a bug, so that'll hopefully be fixed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh god don't use Tammy's head in the Suicide King challenge.

EDIT: Cricket's head might not be a good idea either.
EDIT: Nevermind, just got Brimstone. RIP Challenge.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 8, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I feel like the new balance patches are punishing people who are not as good at the game because the people that are good appear to be steamrolling things. Which, of course they would be, they're good at the game. A lot of this stuff feels unfair to people who would rather sit down and bang out an azazel run or use glass cannon since they know those are characters and items they can have fun with.

Welcome to every roguelike ever.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

He still really needs to do something about the Boss Rush. There are too many enemies and it takes way too long, it isn't fun or worth the items it gives you.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

trucutru posted:

Welcome to every roguelike ever.

If it's gonna be like that then, at the very least these balances should affect hard mode and normal mode should stay the same. Anyone who considers themselves good at the game only plays hard mode anyway.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

A lot of this stuff feels unfair to people who would rather sit down and bang out an azazel run or use glass cannon since they know those are characters and items they can have fun with.

I honestly can't decide which Azazel nerf I hate more, the increased charge time or the damage debuff.

Thankfully they're doing something about that in the next patch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

He still really needs to do something about the Boss Rush. There are too many enemies and it takes way too long, it isn't fun or worth the items it gives you.

Boss Rush needs to be a smaller random/semi-random selection of bosses. Yes that will be easier but as it stands nobody bothers with boss rush unless they're unlocking an item from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

So, it turns out the "bugged" Azazel nerf wasn't technically a bug. Edmund mistyped in an email that Azazel's damage and charge time need to be lowered, instead of his intended "damage OR charge time" message.