Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

GlitchThief posted:

If an American child sees a rice ball, they explode.

It's a giant sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
It seems like there's barely any info on anything about the game in English anywhere I looked. If nothing else, it'd be nice to have a thread for the game to compile something so I don't have to pull my hair out trying to figure out where the hell Noko is supposed to be

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
the rice balls are entirely untouched, actually.

edit: ^^ i found noko in the cave on the mountain. he runs away from you but if you catch him and beat him he's worth a ton of exp. if you're doing the quest where you need to find traces of him, just check along the river.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

the jelly donuts are entirely untouched, actually.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Presumably because it's a kids game. I have no idea if a kid would care either way though.

I was somewhere in the 9-12 range when I started playing Ace Attorney games, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have chucked the cart out the window if I'd found out they took place in Japan.

e: Though being a child also meant that I completely accepted "California spirit mediums" at face value.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 7, 2015

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

When I was 10, I enjoyed Tenchi Muyo very much despite not knowing what the hell a "Tokyo" was at the time.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Motto posted:

I was somewhere in the 9-12 range when I started playing Ace Attorney games, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have chucked the cart out the window if I'd found out they took place in Japan.

e: Though being a child also meant that I completely accepted "California spirit mediums" at face value.

:hf:, same here. Ace Attorney is the best.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean hell, I've still never been to California, so there really could be spirit mediums up in their mountains for all I know.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The kinds of dumbass kids who might actually care aren't going to be playing the dumb baby anime game anyway

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Inflammatory posted:

the rice balls are entirely untouched, actually.

edit: ^^ i found noko in the cave on the mountain. he runs away from you but if you catch him and beat him he's worth a ton of exp. if you're doing the quest where you need to find traces of him, just check along the river.

What rank do I need to be to find him? I'm D, working on C now, so I'm trying to figure out if I can get it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Noko is E, you can get him almost immediately if you're willing to be patient. There's a side path by Shoten Temple in the breezy hills area which you can get to as soon as you start on the first watch upgrade. If you go in there, you should see a field of vegetables. Noko can spawn there rarely, if you exit and enter the area repeatedly you'll be able to tell when he's there when the Yo-kai on the bottom level is stationary in the top area instead of walking around near the left. Chasing him down to catch is a bit tricky with how fast he moves, and if you run into any other Yo-kai while you're trying to get him a different one will spawn or nothing will spawn at all when you return to the field. Personally, I recommend saving and reloading if you don't get him in your first few tries, since it might throw you off to have such high levels from beating it, but that's just me. I have a Noko on my team, and I haven't taken him out even though he's not AMAZING or anything. But I think he has the potential to evolve, I just haven't found the way to do so yet.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Alxprit posted:

Noko is E, you can get him almost immediately if you're willing to be patient. There's a side path by Shoten Temple in the breezy hills area which you can get to as soon as you start on the first watch upgrade. If you go in there, you should see a field of vegetables. Noko can spawn there rarely, if you exit and enter the area repeatedly you'll be able to tell when he's there when the Yo-kai on the bottom level is stationary in the top area instead of walking around near the left. Chasing him down to catch is a bit tricky with how fast he moves, and if you run into any other Yo-kai while you're trying to get him a different one will spawn or nothing will spawn at all when you return to the field. Personally, I recommend saving and reloading if you don't get him in your first few tries, since it might throw you off to have such high levels from beating it, but that's just me. I have a Noko on my team, and I haven't taken him out even though he's not AMAZING or anything. But I think he has the potential to evolve, I just haven't found the way to do so yet.

Pretty sure it's by fusion, though not sure with what.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Been playing some Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 lately. Holy poo poo is it fun to play! I love it!

Favorite character is Kanbei Kuroda. Him and Nobunaga have incredibly fun movesets.

Currently, I've cleared 3 stories (the main story and two bonus stories).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm guessing you were playing with the EXP share turned on. The game doesn't warn you about this, but having that thing on is easy mode. You'll massively outlevel anything in the game very quickly, unless you use a rotating stable of 10 or so Pokemon instead of the standard 6. Pokemon's difficulty actually is pretty well balanced if you don't end up massively overlevelled. You have to think about type match-ups and how to deal with a gym leader's strongest Pokemon, and all that stuff.

Yes, definitely using exp share.

so... the correct way to play a pokemon game is to decide what 6 pokemon you want out of the 720 possible options and stick with those ones all the way through without changing off? If that's the case I'm totally not interested in this series.

I'm rotating through like 9 pokemon at the moment but the ones I leave for too long are so under leveled that they're completely ineffective unless I have them as my starters and then immediately swap to something else to get them experience.. and that's a pretty stupid mechanic to have to use for every battle.

My level range on my current lineup of pokemon is something like levels 55-70 and I'm standing at the entrance to victory road. It looks like the elite 4 are all level 65ish so I feel like I kept pace alright. probably because I have hardly spent very much time sitting in one area and grinding out pokemon capturing because that feels more like something you do after the story is complete. And there is no way in hell I'm going to memorize the strengths/weaknesses of all 750 pokemon, particularly not when I only see most of them 2-4x before moving on to a new area. Sure I can remember the general single type interactions but as soon as they show me a pokemon that looks like one thing but it turns out to be a different thing then I'm just going to kill it with whatever is strongest (typically yveltal, garchomp, or charizard). It would be an entirely different thing if I could actually pull out my pokedex at the start of combat to see what type that pokemon I saw once before is so I know the correct strategy but you can't do that so it ends up either being total trial and error or I have to reference pokeffectiveness.com which has been pretty handy. I just feel like I arrived to the series like 5 generations too late to be assed to start memorizing pokemon types.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

california spirit mediums are called auditors

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

MMD3 posted:

so... the correct way to play a pokemon game is to decide what 6 pokemon you want out of the 720 possible options and stick with those ones all the way through without changing off? If that's the case I'm totally not interested in this series.

I'm rotating through like 9 pokemon at the moment but the ones I leave for too long are so under leveled that they're completely ineffective unless I have them as my starters and then immediately swap to something else to get them experience.. and that's a pretty stupid mechanic to have to use for every battle.

My level range on my current lineup of pokemon is something like levels 55-70 and I'm standing at the entrance to victory road. It looks like the elite 4 are all level 65ish so I feel like I kept pace alright. probably because I have hardly spent very much time sitting in one area and grinding out pokemon capturing because that feels more like something you do after the story is complete. And there is no way in hell I'm going to memorize the strengths/weaknesses of all 750 pokemon, particularly not when I only see most of them 2-4x before moving on to a new area. Sure I can remember the general single type interactions but as soon as they show me a pokemon that looks like one thing but it turns out to be a different thing then I'm just going to kill it with whatever is strongest (typically yveltal, garchomp, or charizard). It would be an entirely different thing if I could actually pull out my pokedex at the start of combat to see what type that pokemon I saw once before is so I know the correct strategy but you can't do that so it ends up either being total trial and error or I have to reference pokeffectiveness.com which has been pretty handy. I just feel like I arrived to the series like 5 generations too late to be assed to start memorizing pokemon types.

You can play Pokemon however you want, especially the single-player stuff. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is a loser

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

MMD3 posted:

The way I used to play the games was add a new Pokemon or two to my party between each gym, phasing out the guys that work and keeping the ones that did. I'd use about 15-20 Pokemon total throughout the game, but by the endgame I was sticking with a solid favorite group of 6. If I felt like there were more guys I wanted to try out I'd just replay it in a few months or wait for the next Gen.

This doesn't really work with X/Y, since if you stick with any solid group of 6 for more than a few hours they grow completely overleveled. Personally, I think X/Y was rushed out and the difficulty/level curve was so wonky before release that they hastily put the EXP Share in there as a quick fix. With it on the game is trivial and with it off it's an annoying grindfest. Not that the old games were challenging in any way, but cruising though the end of X/Y and basically killing each member of the Elite 4 in one or two hits was really boring.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

TheMopeSquad posted:

Just played the Stella Glow demo, so people can't sing, what happens when they try does it sound like farts or is it completely silent or what. How do they even know what singing is anymore. If you try to sing and it sounds like animals rutting and you have no frame of reference would they think it sounds good?

You've thought more about this point about the game then the Game designers did. Valid points though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MMD3 posted:

It's the encouraged (certainly not "correct") way, and is what gives the games their replay value and the competitive metagame its enduring popularity

quote:

It would be really nice if you could see a pokemon's typing in battle, yeah. It's a lot easier to keep typing stuff in mind when you've known the series for a while, nobody likes trial and error elemental weaknesses (hey there SMT)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You choose the six coolest pokemon to be your best friends for the game then you catch the rest to fill up the pokedex + wonder trade

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For future reference, if you want to transfer your NNID/info/SD card from a New 3DS to a New 3DS you need:

-Both systems
-Internet (for NNID confirmation only)
-Both systems fully updated both firmware and StreetPass Mii Plaza

Bolded because I fudged up and only updated the system firmware on the (new) New 3DS, and didn't realize you have to update StreetPass Mii Plaza separately. I lost like 90% (???) of my puzzle pieces, but retained my plaza/streetpass count. Otherwise, everything went without a hitch. Update both systems, turn both systems off, put your current microSD card into the new unit, do a system transfer. Aside from using minor internet data to confirm NNID credentials, everything else is done with "Local" in the top left corner, and only takes about 10 minutes. When it's done, the new unit will work exactly like the old unit (games, etc.)

Edit: updating StreetPass Mii Plaza recovered my puzzle pieces.

enojy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 8, 2015

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Okay, after an entire day of playing Yokai Watch I want to warn people- don't go all in on hunting Yo-Kai too early.

When you get to rank C on your watch, you can catch Shmoopie along the mountain path in the grass. It raises the chances of recruitment by some ridiculous amount, at least based on my anecdotal experience

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Amazon has the New 3DS regular on sale for $199. Should I do it, man

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

BougieBitch posted:

Okay, after an entire day of playing Yokai Watch I want to warn people- don't go all in on hunting Yo-Kai too early.

When you get to rank C on your watch, you can catch Shmoopie along the mountain path in the grass. It raises the chances of recruitment by some ridiculous amount, at least based on my anecdotal experience

gently caress! I have been doing it wrong!

Thank you for sharing. Now I can just advance the game in peace for a little while.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

This game reminds me of when Pokemon was new. It's a little mysterious, because there's no bulbapedia to break down every single aspect of the gameplay. There's a sense of discovery still. They better bring the other two puppies over here.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

noirstronaut posted:

Amazon has the New 3DS regular on sale for $199. Should I do it, man

I like the N3DS quite a bit more than the N3DSXL.

Pros besides the obvious poo poo like faceplates and SNES-style buttons: it's two-thirds the weight of the XL but feels more like less than half, feels better built (clamshell doesn't snap/click open and closed, doesn't nudge from side to side, nothing creaks,) much easier to hold one handed and/or in bed, matte exterior that isn't a fingerprint magnet, sharper image on both screens since the resolution isn't stretched as much (but doesn't look too small.)

Cons: smaller screens, supposedly gets like half an hour less battery life, TN panel for upper screen, so the viewing angle and contrast isn't quite as rich (blacks mainly.) It's now obvious that I traded in a N3DSXL with an IPS panel, since the display on this new one looks a little washed out in comparison. I'm making it sound like a bigger deal than it actually is.

Happy Home Designer is like why was this game even made, but $199 is a good deal for a N3DS and two sets of faceplates and a new game of questionable value. If you really really really like Animal Crossing, you'll probably love it. I just kinda like Animal Crossing so I'm still on the fence about it. I do however like Isabelle an unreasonable amount, so the Isabelle faceplate was admittedly an influencing factor. I also like that I've now got access to what, like 50+ faceplate options? I'll probably never buy any. Do not link me to any Yo-Kai Watch faceplates.

I have medium-sized hands and the smaller/lighter form factor truly makes a world of difference. I think what subconsciously convinced me to "downgrade" was how much I've played Yo-Kai Watch the past few days, and kept having to turn it off within an hour because the XL is so loving unruly in comparison.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 8, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

My wife pretty much exclusively plays Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning and basically just like growing cows and chickens and poo poo and petting them, which farmy type game should I get if I want to get her a new one? Is Story of Seasons the best one for that or has there been a newer better one since that came out?

Motto posted:

I mean hell, I've still never been to California, so there really could be spirit mediums up in their mountains for all I know.

If by "mountains" you mean "the Hollywood hills"

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 8, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

raditts posted:

My wife pretty much exclusively plays Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning and basically just like growing cows and chickens and poo poo and petting them, which farmy type game should I get if I want to get her a new one? Is Story of Seasons the best one for that or has there been a newer better one since that came out?

If by "mountains" you mean "the Hollywood hills"

I just got story of seasons after having a new beginning, and I considered it a direct upgrade.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

raditts posted:

Yes. Just in case you didn't already know, the newest game named Harvest Moon was made by a different company thanks to some legal shenanigans. I've heard it actually isn't bad, but SoS is the direct sequel to New Beginning

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

raditts posted:

Your wife is going to go absolutely bonkers over SoS. It's a really great adorable game and a direct upgrade from ANB with tons of improvements.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I'm playing SoS as my intro to the series and I love how charming and relaxing it is.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

BougieBitch posted:

My difficulty is getting the areas to reset with the spawns I am looking for. I got Shmoopie by some kind of luck, but trying to get this D-rank yokai called Gush to spawn has been a huge pain. Plus I'll give them their favorite food, even a rare version, and somehow the underlings will be the ones to join. The odds of recruitment for this game are frustratingly low.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm still not sure if I want the smaller new 3DS. I already have a Majora XL. I might just get Yokai and BLOPS 3 for the gently caress of it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Simon The Digger posted:

Are you using a New 3DS? Because on my old 3DS XL, RetroArch's Genesis core (Genesis Plus GX or something like that) does not "run 100% and look perfect", it's actually pretty slow and laggy and generally kind of crap. BlargSNES has worked great with almost everything I've thrown at it, though, so at least there's that.

Sorry I didn't see this until now: correct, this is on a New. Unfortunately Retroarch cores are all much slower than emulators coded specifically for the 3ds like BlargSNES. I think I read that BlargSNES has some compatibility issues but I need to try it to see if it runs the games that are slow on CatSFC better.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is earthbound running well on blargsnes? I figure I should get more than 20 minutes into it, which I have done like 10 times now

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
How many save slots does Yokai Watch have?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

How many save slots does Yokai Watch have?

Three. Note, however, that you can't save your current game onto a different slot once you've started.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Alxprit posted:

Three. Note, however, that you can't save your current game onto a different slot once you've started.

So you can have three totally different games going but not multiple saves of the same playthrough? That is weird. But okay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
It's so families/kids/siblings can share one system/cart I'd imagine