Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jibo posted:

Has anyone done the math to figure out what the probable range of Ultra Greed kills it would take to fill the coin machine is assuming you are using each character for Greed Mode?

jackofarcades posted:

56 assuming no azazel

What assumptions did you use to get that, it's a lot lower than the naive assumptions of:

1. Every character puts in equally (so ~100 coins each with no Azrael or Lost)
2. Infinite coins (obviously if you only have 1 coin left at the end of each run it'll take 999 runs)

Which should give us a lower bound on the expected number of runs.

Using those assumptions you get the number of runs being (number of characters)*(1 + expected number of failures per character), with the expected number of failures being 5*(sum from 0.01 to 0.19), giving us 105.

You can work out the variance fairly trivially by the same method and use whatever distribution you want (CLT, whatever) to work out the likely range from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

senrath posted:

Edmund's actual statement in response to people saying that Glass Cannon is poo poo now is as follows:
Makes sense. Glass Cannon makes every character into the Lost, and he loves that garbage.

It was overpowered before, but it's into the 'if there's nothing else' pool now. This concept of balancing a single player game is so dumb

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edmund Honda posted:

Makes sense. Glass Cannon makes every character into the Lost, and he loves that garbage.

It was overpowered before, but it's into the 'if there's nothing else' pool now. This concept of balancing a single player game is so dumb

Balancing a single player game is fine. It becomes a problem when it involves making everything less fun just because some insane people who put a billion hours into the game can beat it easily.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ImpAtom posted:

Boss Rush needs to be a smaller random/semi-random selection of bosses. Yes that will be easier but as it stands nobody bothers with boss rush unless they're unlocking an item from it.

Or unless they have a card that ports them out of it. The way you unlock it also favors builds that will steamroll it anyway. Yeah, good players can get to Mom in 20 on a mediocre run, but most normal players probably achieve that only when they get a particularly powerful run. So the way it's implemented self-selects for people who can probably complete it without trouble. The only characters where Boss Rush is really an annoying thing are Maggie and The Lost.

Boss Rush is a neat idea, but like a lot of other "risk vs reward" calculations in the game it's not actually much risk nor much reward. They should put it in Basement 1 to make it a real risk.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 8, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are you not able to collect hearts while you're holding it or something? I don't see what the big deal is, it's just like an offensive version of Dead Cat.

Also I found out that Brimstone and Technology combine now. Looks like the normal Brimstone with the laser curling around it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What assumptions did you use to get that, it's a lot lower than the naive assumptions of:

1. Every character puts in equally (so ~100 coins each with no Azrael or Lost)
2. Infinite coins (obviously if you only have 1 coin left at the end of each run it'll take 999 runs)

Which should give us a lower bound on the expected number of runs.

Using those assumptions you get the number of runs being (number of characters)*(1 + expected number of failures per character), with the expected number of failures being 5*(sum from 0.01 to 0.19), giving us 105.

You can work out the variance fairly trivially by the same method and use whatever distribution you want (CLT, whatever) to work out the likely range from there.

I saw dick hammer use a shovel to reset the boss fight and kill it again and donate more. He could only donate 1 or 2 coins at a time but the fight took 30 seconds. If you somehow got more per run it could cut the 999 time a lot.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Grapplejack posted:

He still really needs to do something about the Boss Rush. There are too many enemies and it takes way too long, it isn't fun or worth the items it gives you.

Lilith armed with a bunch of brimstones made short work of it, let me tell you. I'm not disagreeing with you, however.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

RatHat posted:

Are you not able to collect hearts while you're holding it or something? I don't see what the big deal is, it's just like an offensive version of Dead Cat.
It reduces you to half a heart every time you use it, not just on pickup. If it was a one time health reduction and a flat buff to damage you could recover the health buffer, which I guess means the name wouldn't apply?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Can Glass Canon kill you if you use it while already at half a red heart?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

watho posted:

Can Glass Canon kill you if you use it while already at half a red heart?

No, it just reduces you to half a heart rather than doing a fixed amount of damage.

RatHat posted:

Are you not able to collect hearts while you're holding it or something?

Not while using it, anyway :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How to balance Glass Cannon: Knocks you down to half a red heart on use, knocks off one black/soul/gold heart if you have any. There. Now you have to decide whether or not it's worth the risk to hurt both your permanent AND impermanent health without the latter being completely out of your control, and Edmund gets to have his massive tradeoff he wants it to have.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's literally called the Glass Cannon. Power in exchange for extreme fragility is the entire point of the thing. If you have a poo poo ton of soul hearts don't use it.

I imagine it's a great item for the Lost.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr Phillby posted:

It's literally called the Glass Cannon. Power in exchange for extreme fragility is the entire point of the thing. If you have a poo poo ton of soul hearts don't use it.

I imagine it's a great item for the Lost.

The entire problem is that it has a bigger penalty (instant death from any source) than the worth of picking it up (one big shot's worth of damage instead of 10-ish normal shots at around the same rate). Right now, there's no reason to use it because the health you lose is not worth the damage you gain. Ever. It'll become even more unbalanced if the damage it does is raised, therefore the penalty has to be lowered instead.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 8, 2015

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

If they want to balance the Glass Cannon it should essentially be trading all your health for a chaos card. I got it in Basement 1 and it took like 1/4 of Monstro's health. Not a good item.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not while using it, anyway :v:

So are you saying that while you're holding it as your spacebar item, you cannot gain health of any kind?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Wow, Krampus in a small room ain't fun.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
I realize huge tears are probably a little passé at the moment, but, um.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce71eQX4cy4

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ChickenHeart posted:

Any tips for tackling the Suicide King challenge? 11 attempts in and I still can't get a good gauge on whether a bomb will hit an enemy/obstacle or just sail past and nail me in the face. God help me if I get a small room full of spiders.

Everything based off of your damage, like the Boomerang/Magic Fingers or fly-spawning stuff like a Rotten Baby do serious work on that challenge.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Steve2911 posted:

Is a win streak of -142 bad? I feel like I'm not winning enough.

Edmund would say you are, and then give you another nerf to keep your favorite character in check

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

senrath posted:

Edmund's actual statement in response to people saying that Glass Cannon is poo poo now is as follows:

On the plus side, the tumor transformation removing your normal tears is a bug, so that'll hopefully be fixed.

Also Edmund's being a dumb baby about that, as-is the Glass Cannon totally isn't worth it.

E: If you're not the lost. I haven't touched the lost since afterbirth came out though.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

I've beaten the Cathedral twice now for Brains!. The first time I hadn't picked up the polaroid for some reason and the game just ended. The second time the game crashed as soon as the chest was loaded.

I'm going to poo poo in an envelope and mail it to Ed. gently caress him, gently caress his brains, gently caress everything.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Even with the Lost there's a lot of other things I'd want as activated items than a single tear less powerful than one of the candles.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I didn't like glass cannon before it got nerfed so it's now in the "only pick up to remove from the item pool" category for me

it's not a big deal tbh but I do agree that it's not really worth the effort now

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Actually, I got that wrong. What actually happened with Soy Milk was that it was bugged in Rebirth. Due to the way the tear cap and fire rate was handled, it was firing at half the rate it should have been. In Rebirth, Soy Milk fixed Isaac's fire rate at 15 tears per second. That got fixed in Afterbirth, so it fixes Isaac's fire rate to be 30 tears per second. I said before that Soy Milk doubled Isaac's DPS if all tears hit their mark. Yeah, uh I was referring to the unbugged version. :sweatdrop: At 15 tears per second, Soy Milk was always a damage decrease, even if all tears hit. That's why Soy Milk was always a terrible pickup unless you had Libra, because it wasn't working right. Now in Afterbirth, Soy Milk is no longer the run ruiner it used to be. Might not be an every run pickup (i.e. don't pick it up if you have Brimstone) but it's a nice buff.

Where are you getting this from? I just tested and soy milk currently gives 15 tears per second, just like it always has. It's really obvious just by looking at it, but I counted the tears in a video recording to make sure. I gave myself extra tears ups and a delay down just to check, and it didn't make any difference. 2 tear delay is the minimum you can have. (it shows as "1" in cheat engine because the actual delay is 1 higher than the number stored in memory)

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Completed everyone on Greed mode now except Lost...which is going to require a chaos card at this point for me. No idea how I'm supposed to ever beat Ultra Greed with Lost now with his scaled health and now that coins are each tanks individually. I just don't get that it makes no sense. It worked fine the way it was at first where you wanted to destroy the coins to stop their effects now as Lost it seems inevitable to get trapped in the bomb coins and blown up and you can't do a drat thing about it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hyphen-ated posted:

Where are you getting this from? I just tested and soy milk currently gives 15 tears per second, just like it always has. It's really obvious just by looking at it, but I counted the tears in a video recording to make sure. I gave myself extra tears ups and a delay down just to check, and it didn't make any difference. 2 tear delay is the minimum you can have. (it shows as "1" in cheat engine because the actual delay is 1 higher than the number stored in memory)

Oh, really? Wow, other people said that it got corrected. Guess I was wrong. Never mind, Soy Milk is still trash.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

Completed everyone on Greed mode now except Lost...which is going to require a chaos card at this point for me. No idea how I'm supposed to ever beat Ultra Greed with Lost now with his scaled health and now that coins are each tanks individually. I just don't get that it makes no sense. It worked fine the way it was at first where you wanted to destroy the coins to stop their effects now as Lost it seems inevitable to get trapped in the bomb coins and blown up and you can't do a drat thing about it.

Gnawed leaf, cube of meat and daddy longlegs/lil haunt. Enter boss room, and go watch tv for 15 minutes.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So what do the icons beneath my keys/bombs mean? On today's daily run I have 'DR' and the Brimstone Icon.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

What the hell with that new Ultra Greed fight, the key coins almost immediately unlock the doors and there's no time to actually kill them

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Poizen Jam posted:

So what do the icons beneath my keys/bombs mean? On today's daily run I have 'DR' and the Brimstone Icon.

DR means you are currently in a daily run, the brimstone symbol means you have to beat megasatan to win.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Poizen Jam posted:

DR, Daily Run. DR. Daily Run is here.

The brimstone means you gotta fight Satan. Or mega satan?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Ariong posted:

DR means you are currently in a daily run, the brimstone symbol means you have to beat megasatan to win.

That makes sense.

Looks like today's daily will be a joke for me. Guppy + Cthlulhu + Mom's knife by Caves 2!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BillmasterCozb posted:

DR, Daily Run. DR. Daily Run is here.

The brimstone means you gotta fight Satan. Or mega satan?

Mega Satan, Satan's the upside-down cross

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Damnit I keep wasting the Chaos Card because I expect it to work with Bob's Head/Shoop Da Woop where you press the button and then press a direction to throw it/fire it. But no, it just instantly throws the Chaos card in the direction you're facing.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, really? Wow, other people said that it got corrected. Guess I was wrong. Never mind, Soy Milk is still trash.

it's a good practice to assume that everything you hear about this game is a lie unless you get it from some specific source who has repeatedly demonstrated reliability. i only trust the words of like three people: elucidater, darktwinge, and henryex. anybody else says something, i have to check it myself before believing it

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Poizen Jam posted:

That makes sense.

Looks like today's daily will be a joke for me. Guppy + Cthlulhu + Mom's knife by Caves 2!

This was like babbys first daily run. I wonder if there were people who missed all the good poo poo?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Poizen Jam posted:

That makes sense.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

This was like babbys first daily run. I wonder if there were people who missed all the good poo poo?

Yeah I was doing so good I decided 'gently caress it' and did the Boss Run and Hush. Mega Satan was a cinch- let's check out that rank-

:stare:

Edit: Speaking of score- I noticed the folks at the top of the list (not counting clear exploiters) hover around 74 000 points. I know I lost points to damage and time, but it doesn't come close to bridging the gap. Is there some kind of extra way to pad points I'm not getting? Completely explore every floor? Never get hit?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 8, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Hyphen-ated posted:

it's a good practice to assume that everything you hear about this game is a lie unless you get it from some specific source who has repeatedly demonstrated reliability. i only trust the words of like three people: elucidater, darktwinge, and henryex. anybody else says something, i have to check it myself before believing it

In the case of Soy Milk, the thing about it being fixed from 15 to 30 tears per second was stated repeatedly by Richard Hammer on stream during their marathon, but maybe he was taking the devs at their word instead of testing it himself.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I get a bug from time to time where my right thumbstick won't fire tears at all. Usually quitting and continuing fixes it, but apparently you can't do that on daily runs, which lead to me dying on the Cellar on what was supposedly one of the easiest dailies yet.

Are there any good tips for playing Maggie? I'm either really unlucky with her or she's just garbage because I rarely make it past the womb with her. Trying to get her to boss rush has been exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

I get a bug from time to time where my right thumbstick won't fire tears at all. Usually quitting and continuing fixes it, but apparently you can't do that on daily runs, which lead to me dying on the Cellar on what was supposedly one of the easiest dailies yet.

Are there any good tips for playing Maggie? I'm either really unlucky with her or she's just garbage because I rarely make it past the womb with her. Trying to get her to boss rush has been exhausting.

If you have irl friends you can play co-op with Maggie very easily and get like 75% extra damage from player 2. Otherwise aim for devil deals and basement damage ups.