Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Sort of related - I'm having an SSD and some more RAM installed for me tomorrow in preparation for this game, but there's a chance the tech guy won't be able to put them in for me in time for release. I'm not too good with computers and he's installing a new OS on the SSD. If I preload onto my hard drive today and start playing before the SSD and OS are installed, then reinstall them on the SSD after the game's released, will my saves carry over via Steam? And what exactly are the benefits to having the game installed on the SSD rather than my current hard drive? Faster loading times and stuff?

So hyped I can't even contemplate the possibility of having to wait another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Can someone post a decent free VPN that can support downloading over a gig of data? Can someone then do this every page until tomorrow at 9PM?

Why do you need a gig of data downloaded?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Probably not easy to gauge, but for anyone who has been playing have you noticed luck really making a difference in drops? Initial build requires one stat being skimped on and it's between that and endurance for me at this point.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
If you're so upset about percentage skill checks for dialogue why aren't you also upset at miss% chance? Hmm, yeah that's right. Check mate,

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Why do you need a gig of data downloaded?

Supposedly there's a day-one patch.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

7seven7 posted:

Sort of related - I'm having an SSD and some more RAM installed for me tomorrow in preparation for this game, but there's a chance the tech guy won't be able to put them in for me in time for release. I'm not too good with computers and he's installing a new OS on the SSD. If I preload onto my hard drive today and start playing before the SSD and OS are installed, then reinstall them on the SSD after the game's released, will my saves carry over via Steam? And what exactly are the benefits to having the game installed on the SSD rather than my current hard drive? Faster loading times and stuff?

So hyped I can't even contemplate the possibility of having to wait another day.

You should be able to copy over the save files themselves to the same location on the new installation, but if you're super concerned about losing them, just use Steam's cloud saves. If you're using a VPN to unlock early, you'll have to copy over the save file manually.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Supposedly there's a day-one patch.

Can't you just tell steam not to update your game?

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Bloodplay it again posted:

You should be able to copy over the save files themselves to the same location on the new installation, but if you're super concerned about losing them, just use Steam's cloud saves. If you're using a VPN to unlock early, you'll have to copy over the save file manually.

Awesome, thanks!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

Can someone post a decent free VPN that can support downloading over a gig of data? Can someone then do this every page until tomorrow at 9PM?

Go to: https://www.f-secure.com And download their VPN Service called "F-Secure Freedome" it has a 14 day free trial and has no limit.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How big can I make my vault girl's rear end?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

How big are your dreams?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dorkopotamis posted:

I'm going to use the SoftEther one, I used it to unlock Witcher early and it worked fine.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How are energy weapons holding up in the streams? They didn't seem as varied or awesome in FO3/NV.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Elderbean posted:

Can't you just tell steam not to update your game?

Supposedly not all the data is on the disc, you have to day one patch to complete the install.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol reusing skyrim animations

my clipboard is a shield guys

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Elderbean posted:

How are energy weapons holding up in the streams? They didn't seem as varied or awesome in FO3/NV.

They do fine but it takes some time to get anything that isn't laser stuff. The laser musket looks really powerful as long as you can aim with it, and you get it really early

e: the first BoS quest in the game rewards you with a unique Laser Rifle that's pretty good

frajaq fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 9, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol reusing skyrim animations

my clipboard is a shield guys

That's not how you hold a shield. Clearly some of us haven't LARPD.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

So technically Valve could boop our accounts for using the VPN to unlock early, but they just haven't done it for anything yet right? Dunno if I can sit through the hype another day.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

This can't be quoted enough

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

kaley cuoco was picked to be there since her rigor mortis pulled back face resembles what the fallout 4 models look like

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

deathbagel posted:

Go to: https://www.f-secure.com And download their VPN Service called "F-Secure Freedome" it has a 14 day free trial and has no limit.

With the change in time, I presume this will work just as well as one that can do NZ (2:01 AM at +13 GMT). Plus side with this option beyond the no bandwidth cap is no signup.

Reminder: You will need to change your account store region in settings as well as your download region to make this poo poo work, on top of the "close steam, turn on vpn, open steam, unlock, go into offline mode" thing.

e: Nope, Australia is 2 hours behind but they unlock at 12:01 am local so it doesn't matter.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 9, 2015

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Night-time, all around

This is gonna be my first Fallout experience on a console

3 and NV were on PC and were all fine and good until i break down and start consoling everything and then got bored but couldn't go back to normal playing

I have no self control and am willing to give up mods to experience 4!!

Also my PC sux :smith:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Harrow posted:

Percentage-based checks where you never get another shot are lovely when they're tied to a skill you have to invest your limited points into. There's nothing quite so demoralizing in a game with skill builds like that as failing a critical check and then thinking about all the better things you could've put your skill points into.

That said, I've never seen a video game do persuasion checks well anyway. It's always just "pick the thing that says PERSUASION from the dialog menu and you'll get a better result."

Witcher 3 did it well. The persuasion came in the form of magically manipulating their minds. Worked great on random peasant folk but also gave you the option to do it on magically attuned people and it would backfire horribly as they would realize what you are doing.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Reason posted:

I'm going to use the SoftEther one, I used it to unlock Witcher early and it worked fine.

i used this one before with no problems but i dont see a new zealand server?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

ShadowMar posted:

i used this one before with no problems but i dont see a new zealand server?

Australia should be just as good, since they pushed the NZ unlock time back two hours.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

21 Hoot Salute posted:

This is gonna be my first Fallout experience on a console

3 and NV were on PC and were all fine and good until i break down and start consoling everything and then got bored but couldn't go back to normal playing

I have no self control and am willing to give up mods to experience 4!!

Also my PC sux :smith:

Which console? Xbone looks fine but there's been complaints already about the PS4 version

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Walrus Pete posted:

Australia should be just as good, since they pushed the NZ unlock time back two hours.

no australian servers either. rip.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

frajaq posted:

Which console? Xbone looks fine but there's been complaints already about the PS4 version

Saw that video with the frame rate drop on scoped weapons, that's not on both consoles?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Meridian posted:

Saw that video with the frame rate drop on scoped weapons, that's not on both consoles?

It might be but that video was a PS4

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

no australian servers either. rip.

Melbourne isn't in Australia?

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Night-time, all around

frajaq posted:

PS4, gently caress

What complaints? I can handle the occasional game breaking bug, this IS a bethesda game after all

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Coolwhoami posted:

im using Softether VPN Gate, Freedome doesn't let me connect to steam

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

21 Hoot Salute posted:

PS4, gently caress

What complaints? I can handle the occasional game breaking bug, this IS a bethesda game after all

Yeah, seconding this. The hardware is so similar I can't imagine there'd be PS4 specific problems, at least I hope not.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Walrus Pete posted:

Haha loving what?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

im using Softether VPN Gate, Freedome doesn't let me connect to steam

Oh, fair enough then :(

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Coolwhoami posted:

He's talking about SoftEther which I guess really doesn't have an Australia or New Zealand server so yea use that one https://www.f-secure.com

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Haha loving what?

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/663443440332591104

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

21 Hoot Salute posted:

PS4, gently caress

https://vid.me/JLcx

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

God dammit.

Can you imagine how much good will Bethesda would earn if they unlocked it world wide right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
literally the only use for Aus/NZ

• Locked thread