Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

We're all post-apocalypse hipsters, aren't we?

"This place? Heh. I used to live here before the post-apocalypse :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Lol, a Yagoi attacked my settlement (i provoked it a bit) and one of my minions jumped in my powerarmor. I mean it was rad as gently caress, but THAT'S NOT FOR YOU! Do they stop doing that if i leave it in the power armor crafting harness thing? I haven't unlocked building those yet.

edit: also noticed that while the pathing around your buildings is pretty much great out of combat, it all goes to poo poo once they start fighting and they start walking into walls non stop, sucks.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm playing Big Boss Fallout as a really nice guy who asks questions about everything, except to the guy selling baseball bats in Fenway, to who Big Boss Fallout is a condescending jackass about him not knowing anything about baseball.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm playing Big Boss Fallout as a really nice guy who asks questions about everything, except to the guy selling baseball bats in Fenway, to who Big Boss Fallout is a condescending jackass about him not knowing anything about baseball.

Actually that's where the term "spectator sport" came from.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

mlmp08 posted:

I think I figured out why some people don't like base building. Not my vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whbLq1N_KiQ

Thats because he doesn't know what he is doing, he is trying to attach prefabs with roof sections to parts that have floors for the upper part (multi-level) Floors cannot connect with roof sections.

This is the building I have been working on.

Frankenoodle posted:

I was lead to believe that Very Hard maxes out the number of legendaries, and Survival just made the game even harder. Is this not the case? Does anyone know for sure? I've yet to see a single legendary on Very Hard, although I've only had it on for one evening of gaming. :( I was on Normal for a while. Could just be bad RNG, though.

It does indeed increase the Legendary spawn, been in mumble with some goons, one of them is playing on very hard and dosen't get them nearly as often as the rest of us do.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Zaphod42 posted:

You fucks? What the poo poo? Dude nothing is stopping you from never even getting in any power armor in the first place.

And once you get it you can just get out and never get back in.

This is the dumbest loving thing to complain about. You never have to use power armor ever. What in the gently caress is wrong with you. It needs to go away? gently caress off.

Do you work for Bethesda

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

New Leaf posted:

Does anyone know what the various Protectron setting do when choosing a personality? I usually do Law Enforcement, but it backfired on me in a raider base when it also saw me as an intruder, but it was fine when I did that in the supermarket.

Also, how do you build the bobblehead display?

Same thing happened to me, can't answer the protectron thing.

Bobblehead display is misc furniture.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Lol, a Yagoi attacked my settlement (i provoked it a bit) and one of my minions jumped in my powerarmor. I mean it was rad as gently caress, but THAT'S NOT FOR YOU! Do they stop doing that if i leave it in the power armor crafting harness thing? I haven't unlocked building those yet.

I think you can just remove the fusion core and they can't use it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Where can I obtain the hot rod paint for my power armor.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah always remove the fusion core to avoid the bug (?) where a friendly NPC puts on the power armour and won't take it off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rookersh posted:

So what are the four factions? I've met the Minutemen, Brotherhood of Steel ( Minuteman guy wasn't too stoked I joined them, but whatever, they seem like they'll mesh fine. ), Institute ( I HAVE ZERO IDEA HOW THEY ARE COMPATIBLE WITH ANY OTHER FACTION. ), and ????

What is the fourth faction.

Also can I be pro sapient synths like Nick Valentine and still have the Brotherhood on my side? Do they ever ask me to kill sapient synths? I don't mind killing hordes of basically Terminator killbots, but if something has developed free will/sapience, that's not exactly something I'm down for.

e: Which of these factions is the one that drops Power Armor/men with guns down for me from a vertibird like the trailers. I want call in Power Armor so I might as well suck up to them right now.

Does joining a faction lock you out of the others? It seems weird if it does since you can join the Minutemen as their general in like two hours.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Does joining a faction lock you out of the others? It seems weird if it does since you can join the Minutemen as their general in like two hours.

No, the Minuteman guy gives you a stern talk about how he's uncomfortable with you joining the Brotherhood because "Their motives seem unclear, and what happens if they ask you to kill us! WHO WOULD YOU CHOOSE." which gave me a bit of disapproval with him, but that was it.

Apparently later you have to choose between the Brotherhood or the Institute and you get a straight up "If you do this the other faction will become 100% hostile to you." popup, but those are the only two I've heard of that genuinely can't stand you working with the other. Minutemen don't care as long as you help people, and I still have no idea who the fourth faction is.

vvvv

To be fair, Concord is hard to defend, and the game starts with it getting invaded by lots of raiders/a deathclaw. Sanctuary has the bridge, and for whatever reason, nobody but the crazy drugs lady knows about it.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 11, 2015

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

One more thing that kinda bugs me about the game. Why in the hell are you folks moving to a shanty town in Sanctuary when Concord has all those really nice, still intact buildings? There's a lot of really loving nice houses down there and they still have actual glass in the windows.

That's like the ultimate loving luxury in Fallout world right there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Captain Fargle posted:

One more thing that kinda bugs me about the game. Why in the hell are you folks moving to a shanty town in Sanctuary when Concord has all those really nice, still intact buildings? There's a lot of really loving nice houses down there and they still have actual glass in the windows.

Concord is a big raider target and a loving deatchclaw was living in the sewers the whole time, I'd move to the island with only one access bridge too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

damage resistance can go to values of up to 5000 and the best non-power armor in the game is 200 so the scaling is obviously different

for reference, 100 radiation resistance reduces radiation taken from swimming by 50%

I guess that's why I'm wondering. Looking at it in that way it doesn't seem like taking that Toughness perk is going to matter given that scaling, but then again, I haven't found anything that both looks cool and has decent damage resistance so I'm sure that'll catch up with me eventually.

I want to look like a cool dude in a duster but I'm pretty sure I'll have to give in to the scrap-armor sooner than later.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Captain Fargle posted:

One more thing that kinda bugs me about the game. Why in the hell are you folks moving to a shanty town in Sanctuary when Concord has all those really nice

Because then you the player can live in the same town, 200 years later, in the same house where your dead wife lived and your missing baby was so you can better cry yourself to sleep and there's a workshop nearby too.

You see it's social commentary because the burned out idyllic setting now serves as contrast for the horrors of the apocalypse;

So yeah, it's dumb.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I think some goon said it was possible to lean, but I can't find it in the bindings. Anyone know how leaning works?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I keep getting my rear end kicked in the Revere Satellite Array. There's a fuckload of suicide mutants. :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

anatomi posted:

I think some goon said it was possible to lean, but I can't find it in the bindings. Anyone know how leaning works?

You just go up to a corner with your weapon out and aim down the sights. Should lean over the edge automatically unless I'm mistaken.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Is there any way to enable the free camera in 3rd persone mode on the Xbone?

Also, wtf dogmeat stop alerting the enemy when im trying to duckwalk through the wastelands you mangy gently caress.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

You just go up to a corner with your weapon out and aim down the sights. Should lean over the edge automatically unless I'm mistaken.

This is correct.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MeleeInFallout4.jpg

Believe it or not, but that outfit is actually the best equipment I've found, including the chestpiece.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Yeah always remove the fusion core to avoid the bug (?) where a friendly NPC puts on the power armour and won't take it off.

Its not a bug and you can just walk up to them, hit E twice and you tell them to get out of it and they do. Happened to me already.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

PantsBandit posted:

rap music posted:

This is correct.
Thanks!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

I found another cool legendary, this time its for you jet-heads out there.

this would be awesome because im suffering from like 4 drug addictions and my strength is like 3 :(

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oh here's a neat thing that can happen when a settlement comes under attack, synth infiltrators.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

Thats because he doesn't know what he is doing, he is trying to attach prefabs with roof sections to parts that have floors for the upper part (multi-level) Floors cannot connect with roof sections.

This is the building I have been working on.

It does indeed increase the Legendary spawn, been in mumble with some goons, one of them is playing on very hard and dosen't get them nearly as often as the rest of us do.

drat, nice. Where is the settlement radio tower in the structure list?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I read somewhere that there are 7 total You're Special books in the game. That seemed really high, so I took it with a grain of salt. I am wondering if anyone has found other books besides the one you find in your house?

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...
When does Preston join me? I did the settlement tutorial and Sturges said Preston wanted to talk to me but I can't seem to initiate a dialogue.

Also is the hacking mini game bugged for anyone?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god. If you're high and/or drunk your character will say different lines to NPCs :aaa: I was trying to persuade some NPCs into not killing each other and failed every time, so I popped some pills and drank a bottle of stout and instead of doing the "ahem" or "hi, excuse me" my character just went "haaay *giggle*" and it totally worked.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MY BABY! WHERES MY BABY BOY?!

HAVE YOU SEEN HIM?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I think this may be common knowledge at this point but you can get the cryolator gun that's locked up in vault 111 almost immediately. Once you find dog meat, go back to the vault and order dog meat to break the case. That gives you one of the best guns in the game right away.

Just like in real life, dogs make the best companions and humans suck.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

hemale in pain posted:

MY BABY! WHERES MY BABY BOY?!

HAVE YOU SEEN HIM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Help me not suck at this game. For some reason it's just not clicking, even though FO3 was just fine. I'm going VATSless and just using iron sights, but even when I'm lined up perfectly almost all my shots seem to miss. Sniping is a crapshoot, and even at point blank, it seems like it takes 10 shotgun shells to take down a ghoul, and defensively I'm getting shredded to poo poo by even wild dogs. Should I be modding the hell out of everything I find? And to make this even more embarrassing, I'm only playing on Hard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

Oh my god. If you're high and/or drunk your character will say different lines to NPCs :aaa: I was trying to persuade some NPCs into not killing each other and failed every time, so I popped some pills and drank a bottle of stout and instead of doing the "ahem" or "hi, excuse me" my character just went "haaay *giggle*" and it totally worked.

Time to develop alcoholism. :v:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's crazy how much cooler and better D.D was than this dog.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Another thing this game is missing: A dedicated "Pet Dogmeat" button.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xanif posted:

Have a friend who was playing on "Very Hard" before he turned it down.

He ran out of ammo on the first half dozen attempts on the first deathclaw you come across and got ate. It was hilarious to listen to him fail on mumble.

That mission is pretty brutal but if you lob a couple of molotovs at it you should be OK, also learn to sidestep its attacks. Also frag mines will cripple it quite well.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

fadam posted:

It's crazy how much cooler and better D.D was than this dog.

DD is an impossible standard to meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

Help me not suck at this game. For some reason it's just not clicking, even though FO3 was just fine. I'm going VATSless and just using iron sights, but even when I'm lined up perfectly almost all my shots seem to miss. Sniping is a crapshoot, and even at point blank, it seems like it takes 10 shotgun shells to take down a ghoul, and defensively I'm getting shredded to poo poo by even wild dogs. Should I be modding the hell out of everything I find? And to make this even more embarrassing, I'm only playing on Hard.

get an automatic gun if you're not using vats and use vats anyway + heavily medicate yourself

• Locked thread