Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Okay, so. Bought the game, started it up and for gently caress knows what reason the game seems to think my monitor is about an inch to the left of where it actually is - unless I use iron sights I can't hit anything and there's an entire line of perks I can't even mouse over on the perk tree because the game wont let me move the mouse that far to the right. Anyone know how to recenter everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow, this game has an insane amount of followers. I stumble across new ones left and right.
They all seem to have tons of stuff to say about everything as well. Unique comments for specific areas and events.

Also, Nick is cool.

Edit: Gah, I can't choose between taking Nick or Hancock for this quest chain. I get the feeling both of them would have some fun dialogue for it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 12, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Stunt Rock posted:

Well gently caress.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Harrow posted:

I really thought it wouldn't be that way, given that they share the narration in the launch trailer, but yeah, in actual play, it definitely feels like the male player character is "canon."

They could've made things at least a little better by a) not having the player character do the opening narration and b) not assuming a career background for the player character at all. That would allow them to have the game to have the storyline it clearly wants to without downplaying either the male or female PC.

It would have been easy to put the Vault Popsicle in a set of gender-ambiguous power armor for the intro sequence and have both voice actors record for the beginning (and avoid having to animate twice), but no. Let's just have the female PC be a gave up her career to be a mom/military wife!

I'm not sure how I feel about 4 next to 3 and New Vegas. It's not as fun to play in that the charming goofiness that they had in 3/NV really made the game in a lot of ways. You can't really be overly sarcastic or risky or a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone when you're a parent desperately seeking their kidnapped son, it doesn't work.

ImpAtom posted:

Having a forced backstory is fine, all the Fallout games did it. Having the forced backstory rely on your caring about a baby for no reason than 'baby exists' is a giant mistake.

Like at least Fallout 3 theoretically gave you a reason to care about Liam Neeson because you spent the tutorial with him. FO4 spends more time developing your robot butler than your son before you're asking to care about saving him.

Also this. I don't mean to :goonsay: but babies don't have a personality. They're a blank slate and the only people who have a real connection to them is immediate family. A fake NPC baby doesn't connect with a player because it's less of a "person" than an adult NPC. All babies are interchangeable basically. It's hard to give a poo poo about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB_BpneV6IY

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ShadowMar posted:

so i added this to the [General] section of Fallout.ini and my framerate hasn't dropped from 60 since then with no graphical loss

uInterior Cell Buffer=12
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseThreadedAI=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
iNumHWThreads=8
iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

check it out

Seems legit, testing it out

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dezztroy posted:

This is from 10 pages ago but: never leave fusion cores in your power armors, ever. I had one of my settlers get in my power armor during a defense and then refuse to get out of it. I go on with my poo poo and come back a few days later and the power armor has straight up disappeared.

A responsible vault dweller never leaves their keys in the car.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

sorry but,

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Stunt Rock posted:

This is the most insanely good celebrity look-a-like I've seen:

agreed

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if anybody wants to know my super secret location where i found 6 fusion cores

http://i.imgur.com/6qJemLx.jpg

on my player location
http://i.imgur.com/UH54IxZ.jpg

don't click those if you want to find everything yourself, nerd

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

titties posted:

I like being able to build my own society and economy as a jane fallout who is incredibly dumb and yet apparently finished law school. I imagine that she went to the alternate retrofuture Phoenix Online.

I kind of wish you could scrap the non-ruined houses also since they are all lovely and hard to build in. Just let me scrap the whole area and build my own gross shanty town.

I mean, I get that the settlement feature is interesting and all (and I'll spend more time on it for sure), but it's just really jarring considering the supposed urgency of finding your son.

It's distracting narrative-wise (aha, yes, I know, Bethesda) when some random people basically grab you by the collar and are like "hey I know all about your son-problem due to my psychic/chem powers" or "hey come build this poo poo for us" and your character more or less goes along with it without anyone or anything questioning the situation or batting an eye. I mean, there's a dialogue option to be sarcastic about it, but it's like the game/protagonist takes the assumption that you're going to care and be invested without building up a real motivation or asking "why do I give a gently caress?"

Does that make sense? To use a visual metaphor, it's like having a mole on your face and the game is calling it a beauty mark and - while it does add to the appeal - it ends up clashing with everything else.

(It also really doesn't help that the UI is pretty hosed!)

It's like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXXTMcYvKoE where the game is just assuming you're this kind of noble father/mother person when, really, I'm actually Bender and just want to gently caress poo poo up and steal everything that isn't nailed down. It's kind of distracting for the game to assume otherwise.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 12, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm surprised people think the game is ugly.

I'll complain all day about the absolute superiority of the Obsidian/New Vegas Master Race, but I think Fallout 4 is really pretty. They took the environment art to the next level, in my opinion. There seem to be way more unique assets and less copy-paste dungeons.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Fintilgin posted:

I'll complain all day about the absolute superiority of the Obsidian/New Vegas Master Race, but I think Fallout 4 is really pretty. They took the environment art to the next level, in my opinion. There seem to be way more unique assets and less copy-paste dungeons.

The landscapes look nice but other than the PC the people look like poo poo.

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Just starting doing some settlement stuff, and I was hoping to have a settlement that's just my house, is there a way to keep settlers out?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fintilgin posted:

Agreed.

It's like they listened to when people complained about every game being brown/gray in the previous generation of games and actually used a color palette. That plus the sound design makes this game pretty immersive.

The animation, though.... Well, I'm spoiled from Witcher 3, but this game looks like it's around Half Life 2-era facial animation.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I mean, I get that the settlement feature is interesting and all (and I'll spend more time on it for sure), but it's just really jarring considering the supposed urgency of finding your son.

It's distracting narrative-wise (aha, yes, I know, Bethesda) when some random people basically grab you by the collar and are like "hey I know all about your son-problem due to my psychic/chem powers" or "hey come build this poo poo for us" and your character more or less goes along with it without anyone or anything questioning the situation or batting an eye. I mean, there's a dialogue option to be sarcastic about it, but it's like the game/protagonist takes the assumption that you're going to care and be invested without building up a real motivation or asking "why do I give a gently caress?"

Does that make sense? To use a visual metaphor, it's like having a mole on your face and the game is calling it a beauty mark and - while it does add to the appeal - it ends up clashing with everything else.

It's like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXXTMcYvKoE where the game is just assuming you're this kind of noble father/mother person when, really, I'm actually Bender and just want to gently caress poo poo up and steal everything that isn't nailed down. It's kind of distracting for the game to assume otherwise.

I ended up allied with some random farm I don't care about because of a quest/some trading and now when I'm out in the wasteland I get notifications about how I failed to defend them. Then I went there expecting it to be wiped out and everything was fine. :confused:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

sorry but,

Lmao

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm really hoping someone mods in a motorcycle or something at some point to roam the Wasteland with. Walking/running everywhere is kinda meh.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What the gently caress is the point of the Institute? What are they trying to do? Why do they think the Synths aren't sentient but also call them the future of humanity or whatever?

Gender talk: Dunno why they fuckin' bothered letting you pick a female protagonist if they were gonna

1) Have the intro be from the perspective of the guy

2) Make the dude a soldier and the wife a lawyer

3) Make the dude, who is canonically a soldier, act like a twit when the dudes come to steal your baby in the beginning.

Like they went through all this trouble with this established background in order to give the player weapons knowledge and poo poo but also went out of their way to declare that the wife is a lawyer. Would it have been that difficult to just have them switch depending on who you picked? Whoever said it's an afterthought is spot on. And like it wouldn't even be an issue if they just didn't bring it up.

The female protagonist is former military as well fyi

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ethanol posted:

if anybody wants to know my super secret location where i found 6 fusion cores

http://i.imgur.com/6qJemLx.jpg

on my player location
http://i.imgur.com/UH54IxZ.jpg

don't click those if you want to find everything yourself, nerd

There's an eyebot and a box of explosives in there but no fusion cores.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gently caress you too, Bethesda.

"Hey, we made a really good and versatile crafting system that's fun to use. Let's limit it! :downs:"

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Police Automaton posted:

She's a mom. Never watched Terminator 2?

Why can't I put glasses on the Dog? 0/10 worst game ever.

He can wear goggles.

Doggles, if you will.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone else getting microstuttering? I literally get this in every single Bethesda game (and NV). Those have mods that fix it, unfortunately this does not, probably since it's new. Running the game borderless windowed removes vsnyc and solves the problem but the screen tearing makes the game unplayable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Protons posted:

He can wear goggles.

Doggles, if you will.

Where do you get those and the bandanna for Dogmeat?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm pretty sure at least some of the loot is random. I've seen people getting things I've never found in the same places/containers (at the same difficulty level).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Hey, we made a really good and versatile crafting system that's fun to use. Let's limit it! :downs:"

It's a bit funny that they're 100% aware of it though.
Also, I don't really have problems with getting enough of it, but I run melee, which doesn't use much adhesive for mods. :smug:

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me
There's been a lot of discussion with contradicting information on reddit and such about what happens to extra components if you craft something that requires you to breakdown an item into components while you're in the crafting UI. I just made a Stimpack which requires 2 Antiseptic, 1 Blood Pack, and 1 Steel. The UI said it would breakdown some toothpaste for the 2 antiseptic, and toothpaste also gives 1 plastic. Before crafting I has 28 plastic. After crafting I still only had 28 plastic. The plastic from the toothpaste vaporized. It's not in my workbench, and it's not in my inventory.

This is really lovely, because it means that the best way to scrap things is to drop them all on the ground and scrap them one by one to make sure you get all of the components.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

welp

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

so i added this to the [General] section of Fallout.ini and my framerate hasn't dropped from 60 since then with no graphical loss

uInterior Cell Buffer=12
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseThreadedAI=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
iNumHWThreads=8
iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

check it out

This..did nothing at all for me. The Fallout4.ini in mygames/fallout4 yeah?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Build a farm, grow some glue.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am loving the game but holy poo poo, just let me mash Tab to back out of any menu or something.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

titties posted:

I kind of wish you could scrap the non-ruined houses also since they are all lovely and hard to build in. Just let me scrap the whole area and build my own gross shanty town.

Yeah first mod I want is to do this.

No, second mod. First mod is whatever Loverslab gives me to have playtime with Piper :wiggle:

Okay joking aside I'm a big nerd who is enjoying the settlement stuff, but yeah, I... don't really get why I'm supposed to be doing it. I'm not even talking about character motivations, just "what does it get me". It can get me some resources but most are cheaper to get just by exploring instead of opportunity spending into a settlement. Like, does it come into play later? I'd like to think so, so towards endgame you'd use your settlement and recruited people as a base to fight whoever. Or it could offer unique services, like you could summon a courier (:v:) to come collect all your junk and take it back home. Or maybe even it could be part of some kind of regional control thing a little like the Civil War in Skyrim, only you're in charge of your own faction and gradually securing control over the Commonwealth with your many carefully built bases.

As it stands, well, it's fun. I don't dislike it by any stretch. I just spent like two hours cleaning up everything in Sanctuary and building a big perimeter wall. Two things I wish: to get rid of the "Confirm scrap" popup, and that junk fences would snap together. But I still did it and had fun and now I like my little settlement and I'm eager to start really building it up and stuff, so I can't call the thing a failure, but I'd love for it to have more of a point.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I never run out of adhesive, it's always screws for some reason.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Frankenoodle posted:

There's been a lot of discussion with contradicting information on reddit and such about what happens to extra components if you craft something that requires you to breakdown an item into components while you're in the crafting UI. I just made a Stimpack which requires 2 Antiseptic, 1 Blood Pack, and 1 Steel. The UI said it would breakdown some toothpaste for the 2 antiseptic, and toothpaste also gives 1 plastic. Before crafting I has 28 plastic. After crafting I still only had 28 plastic. The plastic from the toothpaste vaporized. It's not in my workbench, and it's not in my inventory.

This is really lovely, because it means that the best way to scrap things is to drop them all on the ground and scrap them one by one to make sure you get all of the components.

Thank you for the confirmation of this - lots of conflicting information out there, as I'm sure you know. Hopefully they patch this real soon! (It's Bethesda, it will get fixed in Fallout 4 Unofficial Patch Project like three years from now.)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kimmalah posted:

Ceramic is the bane of my existence, so now I'm an obsessive cup collector.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Agreed.

It's like they listened to when people complained about every game being brown/gray in the previous generation of games and actually used a color palette. That plus the sound design makes this game pretty immersive.

The animation, though.... Well, I'm spoiled from Witcher 3, but this game looks like it's around Half Life 2-era facial animation.

Half-Life 2 did mouths better though. So its sub-HL2 which is ridiculous.

I'm also super glad they used more color, but they really need to hire some new animators.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kimmalah posted:

Take the Scrapper perk and you'll be making GBS threads screws.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Ceramic is the bane of my existence, so now I'm an obsessive cup collector.

If you haven't already, you can scrap sinks and toilets for ceramic. Or at least the busted ones laying around outside, I haven't tried the ones inside houses.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I forgot about that tooltip, welp, that would explain why I never seem to have any mods available despite hoovering up everything in the wastes that's not nailed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

JoshTheStampede posted:

That's why I like the drive in. If you figure out a way to deal with the death pool it's a big open area to gently caress around in.

Speaking of the drive-in, :siren:SETTLEMENT ATTACK RAIDS CONFIRMED:siren:

Aside from Sanctuary, none of my settlements have defenses. I was setting up supply lines so that I had materials to build.

I went to the drive-in to clean up the rest of the cars and see if scrapping the barrels in the death pool would either provide nuclear material or remove / lessen the insane rads you take from being there. The radio beacon generator was broken, so I fixed it. All of a sudden a Raider group came from behind the screen and started shooting. There are only 3 settlers here and they MAYBE have a couple .38 pistols. I got shot to poo poo because as it turns out you can't battle very well while the settlement menu is up.

titties fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 12, 2015

• Locked thread