Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
My problem with Diadem boils down to this: It's too loving grindy to get the pieces you want to get.

Yes, I realize that MMOs are Skinner Boxes with paint on them but up until this point, nothing in the game (even Big Fishing), is as nightmareish a hellgrind as getting a good set of 210 gear from Diadem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd actually feel better if it erred on the side of being too easy to get better gear, thus "invalidating" the effort to get gordian gear. At least then there wouldn't be a horrible hellgrind looming in front of me. The people trying to make this issue into an "epeen" thing are just projecting their own insecurities.

Lbeuol
Aug 19, 2006

Washing my hands since 2002
I just started playing ff14 and earlier my FC's raiding group massively raged in multiple chats combined with snarky comments on voip at 3 other and myself. We even told them beforehand we had just unlocked void ark but then had the gall to wipe once since they kept running in with no explanation. Even the other 8 man parties were angry at how we should have read up/watch the fight while the tank constantly blindly ran into fights to the point where we just stood around while some of them yelled at each other. I even asked where I'm suppose to learn the fight because I was genuinely interested in learning but got shouted down by everyone about how poo poo tier garbage can I am. Void Ark been out for less then 1 day and the first 2 or 3 pages of google result at the time didn't even return anything but pre 3.1 patch speculation if you searched any combination of void ark boss guide strategy.

This isn't the first time I've had overreactions in the past few days to being new. ALL of my group content has been like this with the weird attitude of how dare you not know the random strategy we use even though we won't tell you even if asked. Am I just really unlucky or is my server (Leviathan) just poo poo or is this how it is? It's really putting me off on this game and I feel like I'm in crazy land, I don't think I've ever lost interest in a game so fast.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Oneavi posted:

The problem too is that plenty of progression raiders, even world first ones, probably have some semblance of how much time is too much to spend on Diadem. But if one World First progression group manages to grind out a reasonable set of 210s that break stat caps in crazy ways, everyone else competing has to go the same way. There's no way to mitigate the rng, and it's kind of lovely that people playing at the skill cap can just be rng hosed for maximizing their potential.

Gear balance decisions should always be handled on the high end, because the lower end you go the less the balance (generally) matters. Good roles on this will outperform significantly higher ilevel gear which is a massive oddity compared to standard gear balance.

Trickle down raid gear. Tanakanomics.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.
Well you chose to play on the non goon server so just transfer over and join one of the guilds. Most people are generally p chill about newbies and you'll never actually interact with the people who aren't.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gear stats aside, I will say that there are a few minor gripes about Diadem. The i150 drops are completely worthless and might as well be replaced with token or something. Also, aside from materia Vs, there really seems to be virtually nothing worth buying with Spoils (unless some of the crafting/DoL stuff sells particularly well on the MB?) Also, while it seems like Fishing can get you some high-end (and maybe Diadem-exclusive) fish, it seems that mining nodes don't really have anything special in them so far.

Thankfully the possibility of i210 gear and getting Meteor'd by Brachiosaurs with 23 other goons is still fun as hell

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Here's my hot take: people complaining about how Diadem is a goddamn trainwreck for progression raiders are basically right because it is. But everyone else seems to be having fun with diadem, and the Diabloesque grind is probably calculated to get people still playing the game during midpatch doldrums in the same proven skinnerbox way that Diablo keeps people playing. I'm pretty sure that the dev team didn't "screw up" this blatantly--they did the cold-blooded calculation that keeping overall player engagement up was worth pissing off the (much smaller) segment of the population for which having stacked i210s still matters. You guys got hosed. But I'm not sure that it's unhealthy for the overall game that you did so.

As a bad player though I don't think it actually matters much in the grand scheme of things: the world firsters already have a4s on farm obviously, anyone else good enough to actually care about how much determination is on your pants is probably at least making good progress on a3s, and there's no reason other than petty spite to argue that casuals don't "deserve" gear. It's not like they're going to do anything worthwhile with it. Soon enough we'll see i220/i230 gear or whatever and the playing field will be level again.

Of course people who are good enough that they don't actually need overpowered Diadem gear are going to hellgrind it anyway, but on some level Yoshi-p isn't obligated to protect you from your own brain problems...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

This is a good post.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

Of course people who are good enough that they don't actually need overpowered Diadem gear are going to hellgrind it anyway, but on some level Yoshi-p isn't obligated to protect you from your own brain problems...

The fallacy of these statements is that these hypothetical players are probably going for world first and therefore they actually do need those stats for the edge. It would be stupid for the most theoretically skilled players who started at the same exact point as everybody to now have their starts paced wildly apart because some people got lucky.

HOWEVER To be fair, the tizzy over the stats will be moot if the melding changes in 3.2 are retroactive. The unmeldable attribute of the gear will be outpaced with slots of mainstat materia V and overmelds of substats. Because mainstat is crazy good.

Oneavi fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 12, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hotfix patch notes are up. No mention of LB change rollback.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/71744-NA-FINAL-FANTASY-XIV-Hotfixes-%28Sep.-8%29?p=3424199&viewfull=1#post3424199

Poor person who got guzled by Qarn Hard earlier this evening may take heart, that's fixed.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

This is a good post.

Nah it went from good post to poo poo post.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I only started playing this game in like 2.4 so I don't personally remember how coil went, but if 3.2 is like 3.0 won't there be another tomestone and another alex normal before the next tier of Alex raids? Won't melded gear from that content be better than diadem gear by virtue of higher mainstat?

If not then yeah don't get me wrong this is horribly unfair to the, what, less than 50 human beings in the world who are actually in contention for world firsts? All I'm saying is that maybe the dev team was willing to make that tradeoff and screaming about it isn't going to make much of a difference.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I think they should have implemented the materia changes with Diadem; aetherial gear would be strictly worse than Gordian if I could pop a STR/DEX/INT/MND materia V into every one of my slots.

It would also still provide incentive to go into Diadem; grind for materia for your actual loot, get aetherial for slots you havent bought Eso/gotten Gordian for.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Reiterpallasch posted:

I only started playing this game in like 2.4 so I don't personally remember how coil went, but if 3.2 is like 3.0 won't there be another tomestone and another alex normal before the next tier of Alex raids? Won't melded gear from that content be better than diadem gear by virtue of higher mainstat?

If not then yeah don't get me wrong this is horribly unfair to the, what, less than 50 human beings in the world who are actually in contention for world firsts? All I'm saying is that maybe the dev team was willing to make that tradeoff and screaming about it isn't going to make much of a difference.

The issue is that Mistbreak gear is so much better, potentially, than Savage Alex gear that the next set of gear will have to be much higher statted in order to be better all around, especially considering that most of the pieces will have less than optimal secondary stats. Having new gear be so far ahead of old gear every patch is really bad for any MMO.

Jahin
Jan 19, 2005
Fun Shoe

Reiterpallasch posted:

It used to be that every even number patch, the max ilvl would jump by about 20 points, making gear from the previous tier very important in the first couple months of a raid cycle. But they've talked in live letters about raising the ilvl jump every even patch, so we're probably looking at at least a 30 ilvl jump.

So yeah, between the fact that 220 gear is probably going to be both fairly easy to get, and maybe meldable, I don't think that even the best Diadem piece is going to last very long in 3.2. I really hope that people don't over-grind to "get ready" for the new raid tier, I think there's a really high chance that gear that's equivalent or better will be easy enough to get.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Servers are up early

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Eej posted:

The issue is that Mistbreak gear is so much better, potentially, than Savage Alex gear that the next set of gear will have to be much higher statted in order to be better all around, especially considering that most of the pieces will have less than optimal secondary stats. Having new gear be so far ahead of old gear every patch is really bad for any MMO.

The weights for secondary stats are poo poo tho so as long as materia changes are retroactive then 210 melded will totally be better.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Chairman posted:

This thread just needs to make it through the weekend and then it'll be smooth sailing for another couple months

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I find it hilarious that people feel deeply obligated to 'hell grind' what amounts to casual fun group content for gear with a pile of substats rather than just treat it like a fun alternative. For context about the 'massively' better gear impact on damage output, 60 crit is worth about 10 str, which is worth about 1.1 weapon damage. This is approximately what you get from a 3 ilvl increase.

It doesn't loving matter and it isn't going to make or break anyone's progression in the next cycle to have <1% more damage output.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It doesn't loving matter and it isn't going to make or break anyone's progression in the next cycle to have <1% more damage output.

For cutting edge progression, like Chyeah's group, it often does actually.

e: Maybe not "often" but things can come REALLY loving close.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Patch 3.1: rear end Gross Shite, So Gross Shart rear end, has anybody said that yet

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Diadem makes a lot of petty people really insecure about their elite video gamer status, it's the best content FFXIV has produced.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also with the relative weakness of substats compared to 2.x and the fact that they're going to have materia melding on tomestone/raid gear next tier the perfect diadem gear that few people will actually get wont be hard to replace.

As it is right now the gear is good for anyone who has hit a wall in savage. This will allow for a lot more clears.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I beat A4S and didnt even touch void ark or diadem yet what's up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ilifinicus posted:

I beat A4S and didnt even touch void ark or diadem yet what's up

Void ark is cool. The diadem is also cool.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Void ark is cool. The diadem is also cool.

Are the dungeons cool too? Didn't do them either

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ilifinicus posted:

Haven't actually ran them yet but I haven't heard anything negative.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

arboretum looks super nice, pharos is maybe going to end up being the popular dungeon though just because of the mob layout though

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

ilifinicus posted:

They are very good dungeons. Arboretum is a bit better IMO mainly due to aesthetics but neither is bad.

Also the second Pharos boss may actually help crappy DPS players learn the Alarum "kill the mob on X point" mechanic better so A1 becomes less of a shitshow.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ilifinicus posted:

I did the dungeons before I had to leave town for a funeral and they were both good and fun with nice mob progressions and interesting mechanics.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Which EU servers are the populated ones? I would like to move to one with a good raiding community so I can get to do some savage, but I'm getting mixed messages. Some people say Odin's where it's at, other people say Ragnarok.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Tortolia posted:

They are very good dungeons. Arboretum is a bit better IMO mainly due to aesthetics but neither is bad.

Also the second Pharos boss may actually help crappy DPS players learn the Alarum "kill the mob on X point" mechanic better so A1 becomes less of a shitshow.

How does the second boss work exactly? I've only done Pharos once so far, and my group just kind of bumbled through it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vil posted:

How does the second boss work exactly? I've only done Pharos once so far, and my group just kind of bumbled through it.

Kill slimes over the cracks, they clog them and prevent gas from leaking.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Truga posted:

Kill slimes over the cracks, they clog them and prevent gas from leaking.

Yeah you don't have to do that but it makes things easier, unlike on the last boss where you pretty much have to pay attention to the adds or you wipe.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah you don't have to do that but it makes things easier, unlike on the last boss where you pretty much have to pay attention to the adds or you wipe.

Speaking of things you have to pay attention to, Cuchulainn's Corrosive Bile is great fun. I haven't yet done a Void Ark where somebody hasn't complained about how the attack is untelegraphed.

By which I'm guessing they mean "a big pulsing orange damage indicator".

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
What sort of gathering/perception/bait are needed for Diadem miners/botanists/fishermen?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

attacks which has the mob model turns around to face someone and use a castbar has notoriously been the bane of pubbies since Aurum Vale

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else getting a serious SoTN vibe from the new music?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Belzac posted:

Even if was actually 0.00001% to get a better than 210 standard piece the existence of it would still put pressure on raiders to get it. It's more than just wanting the best numbers. It's about wanting to provide the best possible experience for the 7 other people you'll be tackling content with and knowing your 5% weaker than you could have been will always sit wrong this demographic.

If that's the case where is bitching about having to level two accounts so you can gear different jobs equally with tomb gear? The only people this 210 gear is effecting are the people who poop sock world first raid Ie. probably a couple hundred people. The same ones who level another character to class stack. For the rest of you this gear won't help you because it's not gear holding you back and if it is why don't you have a second account equally geared so you can class stack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Not seeing a problem.

gently caress off.

• Locked thread