Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I kinda feel that lock-picking/hacking should be available to all characters. It's lovely to be hard-locked out of content (getting different content is awesome, though).

At least provide players with alternative solutions to crack a safe or a computer (automated hack-tool, blow-torch, explosives, bashing, machine-whispering, stupid guesses and so on) in addition to variants (different types of locks, computer systems). Add some penalties if absolutely necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

limeincoke posted:

So was wary of picking this game up due to my exhaustion with open world games with crafting systems nowadays. Is this another case where looting items besides crafting materials in the world is beyond pointless because any crafted item is 1000% better than anything you find? And the game becomes spending 5 hours wandering around picking flowers and poo poo for crafting materials?

You don't craft exactly, you mod your weapons with different characteristics. It's not really all that necessary other than to really pimp out your legendary weapons. My most powerful items are things I've picked up from raiders and such, the crafted things are just to give me a good version of a gun that uses a different ammo type.

I should honestly scrap the legendary weapon I got on my first legendary kill, it has trivialized everything I've encountered since with a massive bleed effect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azhais posted:

The lockpicking minigame has been used in like 90% of stealth shooters in recent memory and is so trivial I don't know why people whine about it. It takes longer to bring up the interface than it does to pick the lock

But then you lock away the ability to unlock higher level locks behind a level cap? It's dumb enough needing to get a perk to even attempt a higher level lock, but to then require you to be a certain level before that perk even becomes available?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

schemie posted:

player.removeperk <perkid>

Heres a list of the ID's https://i.imgur.com/U04KC0s.jpg.

Haven't found it in a better format yet.

Why use a jpg list when the game is happy to do perk lookups for you?

Help <name> 4

type whatever perk you want as <name> and it'll list the ID for you right there in the console

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Where the hell does this game save screenshots? I took one, Steam said it'd been taken, now I can't find it anywhere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

anatomi posted:

I kinda feel that lock-picking/hacking should be available to all characters. It's lovely to be hard-locked out of content (getting different content is awesome, though).

At least provide players with alternative solutions to crack a safe or a computer (automated hack-tool, blow-torch, explosives, bashing, machine-whispering, stupid guesses and so on) in addition to variants (different types of locks, computer systems). Add some penalties if absolutely necessary.

Exactly, take Deus Ex Human Revolution. If you don't upgrade your hacking skill, you can still buy auto hacks to get through high level locks. You pay money but you get results and it allows you to put more points somewhere else.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Where the hell does this game save screenshots? I took one, Steam said it'd been taken, now I can't find it anywhere.

Its in your steam folder for some bizarre reason.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Select a screenshot and it'll give you a "view on disk" option.

Kea posted:

Its in your steam folder for some bizarre reason.

Because it's a steamworks game?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

anatomi posted:

I kinda feel that lock-picking/hacking should be available to all characters.

There are two companions that will lockpick and hack for you, respectively.

e: To be more specific, Cait will pick locks and Valentine will hack.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 13, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

limeincoke posted:

So was wary of picking this game up due to my exhaustion with open world games with crafting systems nowadays. Is this another case where looting items besides crafting materials in the world is beyond pointless because any crafted item is 1000% better than anything you find? And the game becomes spending 5 hours wandering around picking flowers and poo poo for crafting materials?
I don't hunt plants, although I pick them when i find them i have no idea what most of the flowers and poo poo are for. I plant my carrots and poo poo in the ground and every time I fast travel back home I pick them and then plant those and double my crops. I've got like 20 of most plants in Sanctuary hills alone right now, so I kinda ignore it except when I need to make adhesive.

edit: level 15ish, killin supermutants and using laser rifles, but I still use my heavily modded .38 because it has night vision and 48 rounds in the mag so it's a pretty good sniper rifle for trash or when I don't wanna burn better ammo. I've got like 4 settlements, and 2 more I'm about to start working on.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 13, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anatomi posted:

You should always be rewarded for investing in lockpicking or hacking if they're perks/skills (or any other perk or skill that comes up in a quest)--that different content should be in some way more rewarding (loot or just new scenes/dialog/information) or provide some sort of shortcut. New Vegas, for the most part, does a really good job within its quest design of both rewarding you for investing in skills (not just lockpicking and hacking, but medicine, repair, all of those) and offering multiple other ways to complete the quests, too. It's neat. Sometimes it's a shortcut, sometimes it's more rewarding, and sometimes it opens up a whole new way to do a quest, and those are all great.

Arcsquad12 posted:

But then you lock away the ability to unlock higher level locks behind a level cap? It's dumb enough needing to get a perk to even attempt a higher level lock, but to then require you to be a certain level before that perk even becomes available?

Requiring a certain perk level to even attempt it is good because if that wasn't there, there'd be no reason for those to be perks anyway. But pairing that with a level requirement to get those perks is kind of rear end, I agree. I understand a level requirement on some extremely powerful perks or the perks that supercharge your damage, especially because some of them are pretty low on their SPECIAL stat's line, but for things like hacking and lockpicking it's just kind of lovely.

(Did you see the mod I posted on the previous page? I think you'll like it.)

schemie
May 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Why use a jpg list when the game is happy to do perk lookups for you?

Help <name> 4

type whatever perk you want as <name> and it'll list the ID for you right there in the console

Oh man awesome thanks! I was thinking about trying to OCR that image to get them in a better format.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lady Naga posted:

:thejoke:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

The lockpicking minigame has been used in like 90% of stealth shooters in recent memory and is so trivial I don't know why people whine about it. It takes longer to bring up the interface than it does to pick the lock

At least this time Bethesda put lockpicks on every vendor inventory list, so they're not the rarest loving thing in the wasteland, like in 3. It's still ridiculous that I can't craft what is essentially a thin piece of wire.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hey man, I've seen some duuuuuumb rear end poo poo in this thread. Can't always be sure something's sarcasm.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Lady Naga posted:

Select a screenshot and it'll give you a "view on disk" option.

Jesus, I'd never have found that in a million years the way I was looking for it. Thanks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

At least this time Bethesda put lockpicks on every vendor inventory list, so they're not the rarest loving thing in the wasteland, like in 3. It's still ridiculous that I can't craft what is essentially a thin piece of wire.

I'm level 14 and pick every lock I can see and I'm sitting on about 40 bobby pins. They rain from the loving sky in this one.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Harrow posted:

I'm level 14 and pick every lock I can see and I'm sitting on about 40 bobby pins. They rain from the loving sky in this one.

I remember thinking "how did I get 60 bobby pins" last night

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Hey man, I've seen some duuuuuumb rear end poo poo in this thread. Can't always be sure something's sarcasm.

Yeah I might have even given him the benefit of the doubt where he didn't deserve it? I don't even know. :v:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

sector_corrector posted:

You can trade them off settlers, and for some reason I find a lot of them in bathrooms. But I'm level 15 and pick everything at expert and break 1 pin about 1/2 the time, sitting on like 60 bobby pins.

And as noted, you can re-lock safes with terminals and get the exp again, although it's kinda monotonous I tried it three times to verify.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bethesda 1: "How many raiders can we cram into a factory?"
Bethesda 2: "About a million."
Bethesda 1: "gently caress that, how about two million!"

And that's the story of how I died 14 times three hours into the game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

For anyone who did that quest at the quarry near Concord, make sure you return later once the area resets. I kind of wandered into it, but it was a good time.

I also got my ammo issues mostly set and made it to the north/northeastern edge of the map. There's a lot of really neat places around there and a few surprise deathclaws so have fun!

gromdul posted:

The supply train guys need to get in and out of town, I assume. Walls aren't attackable, they don't have HP or anything. I dunno, I kind of assumed towns needed a gate. Maybe I'm wrong. Even with a gate the pathing is screwy for the trader's brahmin.

A few hundred pages ago some goon reported Super Mutants spawning on the road in Sanctuary. There are probably set spawn points, but I have no idea what they are. Anyways that is why I just picked half the cul de sac, excluding the road entirely for the most part.

There is a wooden wall you can build that has a gate. But I know in some settlements I've seen supply guys get caught up on my defenses on the sides of the settlement because they just decided to go that way for reasons. I just got a bunch of super mutants attacking Sanctuary myself - it looked like most of them spawned somewhere near the bridge because most of them got mowed down by all the turrets/guards I have there. But there were two at least in the center of town too. I'm not sure what the hell happened, but three of my settlements got attacked almost at the same time and one spawned a legendary raider.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Corvega?

gently caress Corvega. That poo poo just wasn't even fun.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sector_corrector posted:

I think I lost 3 total bobby pins in my last play through of 3, I ended with over 200 of them

I lose more of them in 4 because it remembers damage from one lock to the next now, but I still have done almost nothing and have over 60.

I don't know what to tell you. I do dislike the level locks, it should just be a free perk to take, but on the other hand this does let them hand out cool poo poo at specific levels which isn't 100% awful. I like it better than Skyrim where they may as well not had any locked doors because I could pick anything at level 1 without any investment in the skill at all, at that point why even have the minigame

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve2911 posted:

I'm pretty sure they put that there to try and force you to use their poo poo power armor system.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

http://music.origintech.ca/PURE%20VOMIT.mp3

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

I'm pretty sure they put that there to try and force you to use their poo poo power armor system.

Look at this guy who doesn't like power armor

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hello, friends

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Awesome* power armor.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
lol if you dont think lockpicking is a skill and should just be given to uin a n RPG

do you think in real life life someone could handle you a bobby pin and before the roof crushes you you coul open the door? doubt it, so why think your character in avideo game doesnt need to use lockpicks? you would be a pancake

why complain bout the lockpicking system at all? the hacking one is the bad one and makes no sense there is no rhyme or reason to ita nd the lockout is pointless, its just like click everything click ~ and type unlock or if you feeling extra saucy type LOCK :ohdear:

i think both systems are dumb but they make sense because not everything would be opened you would need to unlock it with a bobby pin and of course you cant craft it i dont see you going to ace hardware and making lock picks en masse IRL and seling them on ebay stating "real fallout 4 memmoribilia" lol

im still mad how much I Hate dogmeat and piper better be a good companion im so mad that people like dogmeat he is loving spastic and useless and just runs in front of you non stop what a terrible companion but ~bethesda~ ugh
back to the wastes with you you fuckin dog no wonder you were abaneond at a gay station

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Daktari posted:

What are the default values?

Super Easy: Legendary Enemies appear 0.25x as often relative to normal
Easy: Legendary Enemies appear 0.5x as often relative to normal
Normal: Base chance to appear.
Hard: Legendary Enemies appear 1.5x as often relative to normal.
Very Hard: Legendary Enemies appear 2.0x as often relative to normal.
Survival: Legendary Enemies appear 3.0x as often relative to normal.

So normal is 1.0, SE is 0.25, E is 0.5, H is 1.5, VH is 2.0, SV is 3.0

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

anatomi posted:

You have companions that can hack/lockpick if you can't.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Steve2911 posted:

Corvega's a deathtrap, but let me tell you if you're trying to find some gears that place has gears for loving days.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Meowbot posted:

lol if you dont think lockpicking is a skill and should just be given to uin a n RPG

do you think in real life life someone could handle you a bobby pin and before the roof crushes you you coul open the door? doubt it, so why think your character in avideo game doesnt need to use lockpicks? you would be a pancake

why complain bout the lockpicking system at all? the hacking one is the bad one and makes no sense there is no rhyme or reason to ita nd the lockout is pointless, its just like click everything click ~ and type unlock or if you feeling extra saucy type LOCK :ohdear:

i think both systems are dumb but they make sense because not everything would be opened you would need to unlock it with a bobby pin and of course you cant craft it i dont see you going to ace hardware and making lock picks en masse IRL and seling them on ebay stating "real fallout 4 memmoribilia" lol

im still mad how much I Hate dogmeat and piper better be a good companion im so mad that people like dogmeat he is loving spastic and useless and just runs in front of you non stop what a terrible companion but ~bethesda~ ugh
back to the wastes with you you fuckin dog no wonder you were abaneond at a gay station

Source your quotes :stare:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Also yeah they nailed the feeling of Power Armor actually feeling badass, I'd rather have this than Fo3's "oh no actually it's just endgame armor" any day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Source your quotes :stare:

I am legit surprised you haven't encountered meowbot before now. That's just how he posts.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

started indifferent to power armor but with some upgrades and more fuel cells I love this poo poo

feel like a space marine loving poo poo up and it owns

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

sector_corrector posted:

The power armor and everything about it owns actually

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

please dont disparage dogmeat, he's a good boy, yes he IS a good boy :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I am constantly baffled by how bad people are at videogames.

• Locked thread