Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lady Naga posted:

Apparently if one of your pals is in a suit of power armour, a limb can get so damaged that it gets popped off and there's no way to repair it?

It will still be in their inventory so you can repair that. Kick them out of the power armor near a stand to repair it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeah the stuttery rear end in a top hat who constantly calls himself stupid is supposed to be taken seriously, good job.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Took me forever to get an answer on this one but I asked it several pages back and somebody responded, seems like:

Yes the only way to get power armor from somebody you're about to kill is to pickpocket the power core out first so they get booted before you kill them

Yes this is loving retarded

I've most definitely taken power armor off of someone I've killed. In particular, a raider outside of the Federal Ration Stockpile south of Sunshine Tidings. Just put a hole(s) in their skull and took it off the corpse like anything else.

Unrelated question, is there a mod or any other way to stop zones from respawning? It may be petty, but it bugs me when an area I've brought the quietude that comes from slaughtering everything that breathes and looting everything not nailed down gets reset. It also seems to clear the CLEARED tag, which makes it tougher to remember what areas have been completed.

khy posted:

Question though, I keep seeing people upset that you cannot pick X lock or hack Y computer without the requisite perk; is this mainly because they dislike the level restriction? Because FO3/NV was the same IIRC, where you required X lockpicking skill to pick Y lock and without enough skill you couldn't even make the attempt. The perk system is pretty much exactly the same but with level restrictions for the higher perks.

Tbh none of the master level locks I've opened have made that huge a difference. Sometimes it's a shortcut, or a way to open a safe instead of hacking the (easier) terminal. Only major one I can remember is the big shiny 'I'll be back for you' gun near the start. And I assume that the companions who can pick locks or hack terminals for you can do so even with master level ones.

Lady Naga posted:

Int and Agility are really the two base stats you want a lot of. Endurance is nice but health becomes more and more irrelevant the higher your level is.

Int seems almost a dump stat, since idiot savant is apparently vastly better for XP at low int(2 points is something crazy like effectively 25% more XP at 1 int). The only must have perk is the hacking one at 4. Science is nice if you're going to do higher-end crafting, but the mods that require science tend to also require high levels of other crafting perks. Agi seems great though. Currently wishing I could shift perception into agility, since the extra AP cancels out part of the bonus from higher accuracy and brings the other agi benefits.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speedball posted:

They'll split the difference, I believe. I don't think the plants need to all be in one cluster.

Similarly, a guy assigned to man a Guard Station will travel between it and other guard posts periodically, I think. Trade him a better weapon in case he sees some actual bad guys.

I'm not sure how useful it is to have Spotlights in your settlements. I do know they can alert enemies to you when you're dealing with enemy spotlights, but that's not the same.

I found a spot light to be useful if you're low on resources and need an extra "boost" to your defensive rating, since it doesn't quite require the parts for a turret but will still keep peeps happy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

chaosapiant posted:

So the lovely sad DJ is actually a thing you can fix? That's kinda awesome, because otherwise I was just listening to the DJ and instantly flipping to the classical channel because the DJ was so loving boring.

Yeah, him being awkward in the beginning is 100% intentional, and the persona he gets after the mission is actually pretty good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

I pass Preston Garvey on a random road and the motherfucker has the audacity to pretend like he never met me before. I saved your stupid castle, rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Are you sure it was him? There's a fake Preston Garvey encounter.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Those robots are the true heroes of The Commonwealth.
No, the true robot heroes of The Commonwealth are the steadfast crew of the USS Constitution. drat you to hell, Weatherby Savings and Loan! Seriously though, the Last Voyage of the U.S.S. Constitution NPCs have my vote for best writing in the game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I am enjoying this game more than I expected. Last night I was starting to think it was getting a little easy with my Luck Sniper and that ammo and health were too abundant. Then I ran into some giant scary fucker in the city, managed to defeat him with some baller crit action and slightly abusing fences toward the very end. Had a missile launcher on me at the time, was very helpful. After that I ran around a bit, I'm in that stage where I have a million quests and don't know where to start and I haven't even been to diamond city yet. I don't know if that was meant as a late game quest or the first one but whatever.

Anyway, I go to some castle after that big fight and end up in another big fight with a mirelurk queen after a death match clearing out the other mirelurk squads. Went well, that acid really ate through my health items and stimpacks. Also didn't have the missile launcher with me either for some reason, too heavy I guess, didn't expect to need it. After that wandered a bit and swam to some island, eating up hella rad items. There I ended up in another bigass fight with a mirelurk queen, this time with no backup besides Dog, and rapidly dwindling ammo and health. Luckily I had some cover to exploit, but still dangerous beast when you're level 17 or 18. After that, instead of going home, I wandered to another nasty radiation wet zone and ended up fighting through a ship full of more murlocs and a bunch of high level raiders who had the advantage of height and cover the whole time. Fought them off and was really starting to run low on all my ammo, drugs, food, stimpacks, rad, grenades all of it.

Was going to go back home and dump my junk or whatever but decided to go to the big city because I figured they have merchants in there somewhere. Well, on my way to the city, I got distracted and thought I'd check the inside of this one building, just to see what was up, it looked pretty chill and harmless, maybe just free stuff. It seemed that way at first, read some computers, started to realize it was "quiet/too quiet" but I felt intrigued by the architecture in there so I kept going. All seemed pretty chill, lots of already dead fools and some bullet eating mirelurks. At this point it was harder than it needed to be because I was out of bullets for my best guns, and was using just the other stuff I had on me from the adventure and quadruple boss battles in a row. Then some poo poo went down in that place and another loving mirelurk queen bursts out of nowhere. At this point I'm so out of everything I was like "gently caress it" and was going to run away. Then I found out I was actually pincer-ed in by a bunch of raiders on the exit side. I was hoping to lure them to where the queen was to make them fight but it didn't work. Said "gently caress it" again, and decided to just kill the queen and the raiders and I went back to the queen. I ended up leveling up from killing the goddamn little fuckers she spawns constantly and picked up the LUCK 9 Perk to give me a chance for any hit to give me a banked crit. Once I got that, I abused them to get my crit meters up, charged in, would double or triple crit her and then run back out and lick my wounds. I kill her, then gently caress the raiders up with flaming pistol headshots and crits since it's the only thing left and dust myself off, leave, and finally went to Diamond City for the first time.

That was the most challenging and exciting stretch of gunplay I've ever had in a Fallout game. I'm playing on Survival or the one just below and things don't feel grotesquely spongey and I still can one-shot plenty of fools. It was really nice to burn through so much of my stuff and start to have to actually conserve and take shots more carefully. Feels more fair, I imagine this is all easy as gently caress on the default. I also always forget that sleeping insta heals you since New Vegas it was basically only necessary when your SLP got too low.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Insect Court posted:

Int seems almost a dump stat, since idiot savant is apparently vastly better for XP at low int(2 points is something crazy like effectively 25% more XP at 1 int). The only must have perk is the hacking one at 4. Science is nice if you're going to do higher-end crafting, but the mods that require science tend to also require high levels of other crafting perks. Agi seems great though. Currently wishing I could shift perception into agility, since the extra AP cancels out part of the bonus from higher accuracy and brings the other agi benefits.

The int perks are all really fuckin' good up to about 6. (except for funny comedy bad skill VANS).

ImpAtom posted:

Are you sure it was him? There's a fake Preston Garvey encounter.

Lmao leave it to Bethesda to confuse a neat subplot by having their game be buggy as gently caress.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Insect Court posted:

I'd say that you NEED 3 int, because gunsmith is basically mandatory. 4 int is for hacker is pointless, because early on you get a follower who can hack everything except master terminals so there is no real point.

The Science perk at 6 int is also pretty loving amazing because all of the best weapons are energy or require a few ranks in science to unlock their best mods, like the gauss rifle.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Meowbot posted:

lol if you dont think lockpicking is a skill and should just be given to uin a n RPG

do you think in real life life someone could handle you a bobby pin and before the roof crushes you you coul open the door? doubt it, so why think your character in avideo game doesnt need to use lockpicks? you would be a pancake

why complain bout the lockpicking system at all? the hacking one is the bad one and makes no sense there is no rhyme or reason to ita nd the lockout is pointless, its just like click everything click ~ and type unlock or if you feeling extra saucy type LOCK :ohdear:

i think both systems are dumb but they make sense because not everything would be opened you would need to unlock it with a bobby pin and of course you cant craft it i dont see you going to ace hardware and making lock picks en masse IRL and seling them on ebay stating "real fallout 4 memmoribilia" lol

im still mad how much I Hate dogmeat and piper better be a good companion im so mad that people like dogmeat he is loving spastic and useless and just runs in front of you non stop what a terrible companion but ~bethesda~ ugh
back to the wastes with you you fuckin dog no wonder you were abaneond at a gay station

:goonsay:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Exploring the Glowing Sea is absolutely fantastic and personally the best Fallout area (ahead of the Divide). Not sure if it was the time of day or the storm which triggered the fog, but that combined with the ambient music made if feel incredibly claustrophobic.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also Agility perks are only good up to 2, everything else is for stealth and VATS.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is there a limit on the number of "rescue these settlers" from Preston or "place this MILA in a place" from Tinker Tom?

I feel like I've done a million but if there's nothing outside of the exp/caps I should probably just stop

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'd say that you NEED 3 int, because gunsmith is basically mandatory. 4 int is for hacker is pointless, because early on you get a follower who can hack everything except master terminals so there is no real point.

The Science perk at 6 int is also pretty loving amazing because all of the best weapons are energy or require a few ranks in science to unlock their best mods, like the gauss rifle.

All power armor upgrades being locked behind a 6 INT perk is a crime of some kind, I'm sure.

Lady Naga posted:

Power armour doesn't really need to be upgraded to be good though.

I prefer not having to go back for repairs every 10 minutes thank you very much :colbert:

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 14, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Power armour doesn't really need to be upgraded to be good though.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I've seen the glowing sea but haven't gone into it. Is it the Cerulean Cave of Fallout 4?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Noyemi K posted:

I've seen the glowing sea but haven't gone into it. Is it the Cerulean Cave of Fallout 4?

No there's some legitimately cool stuff in it (I found some X-whatever power armour in one of the bunkers) and like I said, the atmosphere is spot on

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
which one of you made this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--OWlUN2fLI

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

EvilHawk posted:

No there's some legitimately cool stuff in it (I found some X-whatever power armour in one of the bunkers) and like I said, the atmosphere is spot on

Cerulean Cave didn't have legitimately cool stuff in it? :confused:

On that note, on the other end of the map I've encountered a bug where sighting in or going into VATS will teleport me someplace without enemies nearby. It's very bizarre.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Ammo tip: If you pick a weapon up off of the ground instead of looting it from someone's body, it will come with a full magazine of ammo.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any hardcore Fallout grognards recognise this plane design?

Found it behind some rocks along the coast, can't remember seeing this before in the series. It doesn't look like a UFO either.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
WHERE'S MY BABY :byodame:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Insect Court posted:

Nuclear Physicist, Scrapper and Science! are all pretty ridiculous perks. Like, I have 1500 DR with my power armor on right now and it's not even fully upgraded. I have 31 fusion cores and I'm finding more all the time because I blow through one maybe once maybe once every two hours or more.

I feel like Intelligence is the only way to really play on Survival without doing a build entirely centered around VATS.

Can confirm.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Where do I get the quest for the DJ so he doesnt sound so whiny? I'd imagine its Diamond City but I cant find him.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Found it behind some rocks along the coast, can't remember seeing this before in the series. It doesn't look like a UFO either.

I don't recognize it from Fallout but that's a Flying Wing bomber designed to carry nuclear payloads in real life. One was featured in the movie, "War of the Worlds" (the 1950s version)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Nick Valentine has completely disappeared for me, does anyone know a code to teleport him to me or vice-versa?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Broken Cog posted:

There's one up on a big overpass in Lexington as well.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh man even with my poo poo aim I can hit stuff now I just needed bigger 'bullets'.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Noyemi K posted:

Cerulean Cave didn't have legitimately cool stuff in it? :confused:

On that note, on the other end of the map I've encountered a bug where sighting in or going into VATS will teleport me someplace without enemies nearby. It's very bizarre.

Nah, Mewtwo's a chump.

Broken Cog posted:

Didn't we see a similar type of design in Nellis?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Speedball posted:

I don't recognize it from Fallout but that's a Flying Wing bomber designed to carry nuclear payloads in real life. One was featured in the movie, "War of the Worlds" (the 1950s version)

Huh, that's pretty neat!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
After being the nicest guy in the Commonwealth I've managed to max out Piper. Can I safely dump her in Santuary to work on another companion without any drawbacks? Really want to go Persona on this.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Can you breakdown mines like guns and armor?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Asciana posted:

Where do I get the quest for the DJ so he doesnt sound so whiny? I'd imagine its Diamond City but I cant find him.

Go to the Dugout Inn.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Ghoul gangsters talking about the good ol' days. Love it.

I kinda interrupted (Unlikely Valentine spoilers) Nick's showdown with Skinny and crew, by tossing a grenade in there while they were talking. Brevity is the soul of wit and all that.

In other news, I would pay cash money for dog power armor (And then never use it, because I'd just think of We3 and get sad).
And also a PC voicepack. I feel like I've really experienced all that there is in the full gamut of emotions that this guy runs between "slight interest" and "noncommittal indifference"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hawgh posted:

Ghoul gangsters talking about the good ol' days. Love it.

I kinda interrupted (Unlikely Valentine spoilers) Nick's showdown with Skinny and crew, by tossing a grenade in there while they were talking. Brevity is the soul of wit and all that.

In other news, I would pay cash money for dog power armor (And then never use it, because I'd just think of We3 and get sad).
And also a PC voicepack. I feel like I've really experienced all that there is in the full gamut of emotions that this guy runs between "slight interest" and "noncommittal indifference"

It's not power armor but I guess this is close enough. If only he had a minigun.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I summed up the game for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSxgIKUThrA

(attention spoilers inside)

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

im trying to build my gas station. I've scrapped everything around it and I want more stuff. so I go to sanctuary and try scrapping stuff there but it doesn't transfer from there to the gas station. so each settlement has its own components (wood, steel, etc) that can't be transferred from one settlement to another? can I change that somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've become some kind of water baron of the wasteland and money has become trivial, I can just barter merchants entire stocks with the 400+ purified water bottles I get every day from sanctuary, which includes their restocking ammo, adhesives and other settlement materials.

• Locked thread