Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lady Naga posted:

...Why do you think he got put in jail in the first place?

Because he's black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Andrast posted:

I think they do since they increase the accuracy rating on the gun stat screen. With the Sniper perk that increases VATS headshot chance and Mcready companion perk which does the same I have a 95% chance to hit the head of any enemy with a sniper rifle from max VATS range.

Cool thanks.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

I'm v. offended though!!! I'm probably gonna write a letter to my MP about this!

How could anyone feel uncomfortable about a song where a bunch of white people say "bongo bongo bongo" and talk about chucking spears :rolleyes:

You might possibly be missing the point, considering that the selection of those songs emphasizes the racism and misogyny of America in the era being parodied by Fallout.

Perhaps you really should stop and think, instead of flipping into offended mode by the fact that these songs exist and that you're hearing them.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 14, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

If you're going full power armor then Survival is pretty much the only way to keep the game remotely difficult at higher levels.

You can't charge them, but there's an infinite number available so it doesn't really matter.

I doubt I will be. Not even been back inside it since Museum of Freedom.

What's the infinite source? Crafting or something?

Just wondering how feasible Survival is for a non-combat specced. If it's a slog I won't bother, at the moment I just roll with modded 10mm pistol and basically never use VATS. The only times I've died so far is to explosive traps, a skull Mirelurk jumping out of the water and eating my face, and enemies with Fatmans/Missiles. Pretty easy to just run and jump around.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Ersatz posted:

You might possibly be missing the point, considering that the selection of those songs emphasizes the racism and misogyny of America in the era being parodied by Fallout.

Perhaps you really should stop and think, instead of flipping into offended more by the fact that these songs exist and that you're hearing them.

Pretty much sums it up :colbert:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lady Naga posted:

You can charge fusion cores by sticking them in one of the machines you find them from in the first place.

Well, I would actually think about doing this, except I've got 35 unused ones sitting in my inventory right now.

Jeza posted:

What's the infinite source? Crafting or something?

Traders sell them for 400 or so caps.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please stop responding to lady naga because then I have to read their lovely posts more than one time and I'd prefer to keep it minimal

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ersatz posted:

Perhaps you really should stop and think, instead of flipping into offended more by the fact that these songs exist and that you're hearing them.

Exactly when does the parody start though? Because I've yet to see any sort of commentary on 1940s Americana. Even the post-Bethesda Fallout game everyone loves, New Vegas, doesn't really say a lot about racism, sexism or jingoism. Fallout's really more of a political and anti-war commentary that uses retro-future style as a backdrop for its message than anything.

CJacobs posted:

Please stop responding to lady naga because then I have to read their lovely posts more than one time and I'd prefer to keep it minimal

Sorry that people are interested in conversations about Things, rather than the 4000th "HOW DO I GET ADHESIVE" post.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 14, 2015

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

If you have a Recon Scope on your gun it'll let you do just that. You can also add it to your power armor helmet. Can't help with the Pipboy lag, though I've not had any issues with it.

I love you. Now if you make a mod that scraps all yellows in a settlement I will have your child.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The confusing part of Butcher Pete is that he really does have a knife because he chops up the electric chair and a ship.

Lady Naga posted:

Exactly when does the parody start though? Because I've yet to see any sort of commentary on 1940s Americana. Even the post-Bethesda Fallout game everyone loves, New Vegas, doesn't really say a lot about racism, sexism or jingoism. Fallout's really more of a political and anti-war commentary that uses retro-future style as a backdrop for its message than anything.

Fair comment, but I think the entire setting is pretty satirical. It may not say much about racism, and little about sexism, but it does say a fair bit about jingoism and rampant corporatism. In the end it is a violent videogame, not a political statement. Inherent criticism is rife throughout the universe though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Honestly I'm just real tired of the super stupid singing of Civilization, it keeps ringing in my mind long after I've turned off the radio.

UH MOGOZEEN, WUH HOPPEN?! THE BIGALSMAHLSMAHGLAOOHOGAHMAGA EXPRESS!

Raider Scum please, hit me in the head with that bat harder, I need to forget.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

The songs are presented in a "look at this relic" tongue and cheek kind of way. Tbh it kind of just sounds like you just want to be offended.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Realtalk: lack of new songs on the radio and the constantly repeated interstitial lame news kid is the biggest disappointment of this game. I was hoping for a new raft of tunes, but it seems they really dropped the ball on that one. Only a few cool new songs, unless more drop later on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish this monstrosity was in Fallout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIfcKy-VcXo

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What is especially annoying is that Bethesda did not provide an easy way for players to add their own songs to the game. Grand Theft Auto had a custom radio station and you could just place your MP3s in a certain folder. For Fallout 4, we have to wait for a custom radio mod.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Sorry that people are interested in conversations about Things, rather than the 4000th "HOW DO I GET ADHESIVE" post.

You have the right to be offended

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

NESguerilla posted:

The songs are presented in a "look at this relic" tongue and cheek kind of way. Tbh it kind of just sounds like you just want to be offended.

I don't know I have a whole bunch of words religated towards the topic of including and defending said inclusion of horribly racist/misogynist poo poo because "oh it's satire" but Fallout's not really the best example of it anyway.

Jeza posted:

Fair comment, but I think the entire setting is pretty satirical. It may not say much about racism, and little about sexism, but it does say a fair bit about jingoism and rampant corporatism. In the end it is a violent videogame, not a political statement. Inherent criticism is rife throughout the universe though.

The jingoism comment is mostly directed to dumb poo poo like Liberty Prime, where the joke is that he says funny things about the "commies" rather than any sort of actual statement on how lovely the cold war was.

Baron Bifford posted:

What is especially annoying is that Bethesda did not provide an easy way for players to add their own songs to the game. Grand Theft Auto had a custom radio station and you could just place your MP3s in a certain folder. For Fallout 4, we have to wait for a custom radio mod.

Even the custom radio mods suck (through no fault of the modders, let me be clear) because it's always a pain in the rear end to add music tracks with them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

I wish this monstrosity was in Fallout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIfcKy-VcXo

As do I, because as it turns out I am a child and I'd rather have a stupid grin listening to that over hearing the others again.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

Fallout's really more of a political and anti-war commentary

i don't think fallout games have had any message besides "world will always suck no matter what, so why not grab a gun and have a few laughs at how lovely the world is"

the fact that the devs seemed to love putting monty python references into the original games kinda supports my theory

nuclear war, jingoism, 50's science are all unimportant and not meant to be discussed. the fallout 1 intro basically says "violence has always existed and will always exist for just about any reason, so who cares why exactly nuclear annihilation happened." it's here and now what matters in fallout games. starting in fallout 2, the games were more about post-post-apocalypse anyway, since places like Vault City and NCR were starting to resemble the pre-war world. even these successful factions like NCR weren't portrayed as non-violent or progressive, meaning they didn't really learn anything from the nuclear war. and how could they be non-violent, considering they live in a world where everything and everyone wants them dead? basically, the message is "violence is here to stay so stop thinking about it. here's a huge loving plasma gun"

anyway that's my interpretation of the fallout universe

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 14, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Fallout's supposed to be about very contemporaneous issues, which is why even the faction that no joke owns literal slaves has the slaves be multi-racial and bi-gendered.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Butcher Pete is not about rape, it's about a dude who gets laid a lot. Where does it ever turn from "gets laid a ton" to "is a rapist?"

this also could have been solved another way...

http://bit.ly/1WSykgq

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I don't know why everyone thinks the wasteland is a rough place, I find it plenty relaxing.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Turtlicious posted:

Butcher Pete is not about rape, it's about a dude who gets laid a lot. Where does it ever turn from "gets laid a ton" to "is a rapist?"

This is super funny because all the results are about how the song is in fact about rape.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Turtlicious posted:

This is basically it

you have to think of the time period piss the wrong person off and it would be easy to pay of cops to screw someone over ESPECIALLY if he was a black dude.

Its not serious they wouldnt put it in the game if it was "politically incorrect" in my opinion

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Where does it ever turn from "gets laid a ton" to "is a rapist?"

Well I mean there's a line about choppin his cell mate in jail or prison or whatever, doesn't imply great things on Pete's part.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

VoLaTiLe posted:

Its not serious they wouldnt put it in the game if it was "politically incorrect" in my opinion

Uhhhh?????

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe he was thrown in jail for being black and a homosexual?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Turtlicious posted:

maybe he was thrown in jail for being black and a homosexual?

Not a very good homosexual if he's having sex with women imo

Also there's nothing in the song about him being black.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yardbomb posted:

Well I mean there's a line about choppin his cell mate in jail or prison or whatever, doesn't imply great things on Pete's part.

Hey some people are gay for the stay in a perfectly consensual manner. Don't judge.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

The jingoism comment is mostly directed to dumb poo poo like Liberty Prime, where the joke is that he says funny things about the "commies" rather than any sort of actual statement on how lovely the cold war was.

Cheap mockery of political slogans is about as good as you can hope for. McCarthyism is one of the biggest thematic parts of the universe, and it crops up a lot because it is a very simple and easy shortcut into stereotypes which people enjoy as kitschy.

I can't imagine a big robot stomping around saying "THE COLD WAR WAS A TORRID TIME FOR ALL INVOLVED, PROXY WARS KILLED THOUSANDS". By invoking old slogans like "Better Dead than Red", you at least poke fun at what was originally a po-faced piece of propaganda. It becomes a joke.

Whether you take a positive or negative inference from a lot of the setting is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. The literal game is set in a world where the Cold War continues into the 21st century and culminates in almost total nuclear obliteration of the human race. I don't see it as a ringing endorsement of the military-industrial complex or whatever. Just don't expect to get read a first year university student's essay of the horrors of war and you'll be alright.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Naga posted:

Fallout's supposed to be about very contemporaneous issues, which is why even the faction that no joke owns literal slaves has the slaves be multi-racial and bi-gendered.

Caesar's Legion is explicitly oppressive to women (who aren't allowed to fight and are basically treated like breeding stock), actually, and there's still colonial, racial overtones too because despite not being a narrow contemporary American version of racism where it's white V black most of their slaves are prisoners of war from conquered tribes?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jeza posted:

Cheap mockery of political slogans is about as good as you can hope for. McCarthyism is one of the biggest thematic parts of the universe, and it crops up a lot because it is a very simple and easy shortcut into stereotypes which people enjoy as kitschy.

I can't imagine a big robot stomping around saying "THE COLD WAR WAS A TORRID TIME FOR ALL INVOLVED, PROXY WARS KILLED THOUSANDS". By invoking old slogans like "Better Dead than Red", you at least poke fun at what was originally a po-faced piece of propaganda. It becomes a joke.

Whether you take a positive or negative inference from a lot of the setting is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. The literal game is set in a world where the Cold War continues into the 21st century and culminates in almost total nuclear obliteration of the human race. I don't see it as a ringing endorsement of the military-industrial complex or whatever. Just don't expect to get read a first year university student's essay of the horrors of war and you'll be alright.

I'm probably just a pessimist but it seems like Liberty Prime is really more about the memeification of old war propaganda than any sort of earnest attempt at satire. When I was middle school aged kids would call each other "commie" and poo poo and I guarantee they weren't being sarcastic, and this was in the 2000s.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Caesar's Legion is explicitly oppressive to women (who aren't allowed to fight and are basically treated like breeding stock), actually, and there's still colonial, racial overtones too because despite not being a narrow contemporary American version of racism where it's white V black most of their slaves are prisoners of war from conquered tribes?
Right but what I'm getting at is that Fallout is about present day issues because Cesar's Legion's slavery isn't a commentary on disenfranchisement or the reconstruction, but more about the broad strokes.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 14, 2015

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Jeza posted:

I can't imagine a big robot stomping around saying "THE COLD WAR WAS A TORRID TIME FOR ALL INVOLVED, PROXY WARS KILLED THOUSANDS".

this would be a lot funnier than what liberty prime says tbh

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Gonkish posted:

Rad storms are AMAZING for ambiance. Also, the lamps on the X-01 are the loving eyes. Your eyes loving glow. I love this poo poo. :allears:

I need to find some paint for this outfit. :black101:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jeza posted:

I can't imagine a big robot stomping around saying "THE COLD WAR WAS A TORRID TIME FOR ALL INVOLVED, PROXY WARS KILLED THOUSANDS"

ShadowMar posted:

this would be a lot funnier than what liberty prime says tbh

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Lady Naga posted:

Not a very good homosexual if he's having sex with women imo

Also there's nothing in the song about him being black.

At the end of Part 1, he's loving his cell mate. I wouldn't say he's gay, but he certainly doesn't care who's rear end he's hackin, and whackin, and smackin.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Imagine if someone made a thing that did have interesting things to say about these things and then bethesda turned out their version, i bet people who liked that first thing would be mad then

Soral
May 30, 2009

what if butcher pete was actually genuinely about a serial murderer and any perceived sexual subtext is all in your mind

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
We should protest Bethesda because safe space.

Or I could keep playing Farmer/murderer the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Xeremides posted:

At the end of Part 1, he's loving his cell mate. I wouldn't say he's gay, but he certainly doesn't care who's rear end he's hackin, and whackin, and smackin.

Yes, because rape isn't about sex, it's about power.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Imagine if someone made a thing that did have interesting things to say about these things and then bethesda turned out their version, i bet people who liked that first thing would be mad then

Nah I'd probably like Fallout 4 a lot more if it had anything to say about anything.

• Locked thread